• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryoku

The screen shots are released?, someone needs to leak it now.

Screenshots aren't released. WiiUDaily has several screenshots claiming that they're the WiiU shots, but they're not. They've been around the internet for a couple of days now.

Meelow

Banned
Screenshots aren't released. WiiUDaily has several screenshots claiming that they're the WiiU shots, but they're not. They've been around the internet for a couple of days now.

I mean someone that has the Nintendo Magazine needs to leak the pictures.

People are suggesting Zombi U as a pack-in?

Among all the other problems with this, a mature-rated game as a pack-in means retailers will require ID to purchase the hardware, which is among the dumbest possible things you could do at a hardware's launch.

Instro

Among all the other problems with this, a mature-rated game as a pack-in means retailers will require ID to purchase the hardware, which is among the dumbest possible things you could do at a hardware's launch.

Something something too reasonable.

Anth0ny

The Zombi U pack in is obviously fake, but is this really an issue anymore? I feel like the vast majority of people buying consoles are parents, or at least over 18, so an ID shouldn't be a problem. You don't see a 16 year old walk into Gamestop and drop $300+ on a console.

Besides, the best selling games of this gen are all rated M, so obviously the whole "You must be 18 to purchase this game!" thing isn't stopping people (kids) from actually purchasing the game.

NateDrake

It was a rumor someone posted in the Zombie U thread.

JordanN

Banned

There would still be a good side to this. People wouldn't be able call the Wii U a kid system!

"Dude, the Wii U requires ID to buy it. That's alot like drinking. So hardcore!" /dudebro logic

AniHawk

modern warfare 3 and halo got bundled with consoles just fine.

If MSony make one console or 2 with the same architecture, that could work in WiiU's favour seeing how lots of devs got used to making for two consoles, leaving the Wii out.

japtor

Why not? They have before:

spZUP.jpg
That one is just cruel.
But wouldn't that favor whoever was leading the previous generation? If your hardware doesn't stand out and your first party is not Nintendo-strong in sales (Sony has breadth, but not much depth; Microsoft has depth, but not much breadth), then whoever was ahead last gen would tend to get the nod in the next gen. Seems like Sony surrendering, if that's the case? Seems unlikely, since it's supposed to be one of their profitable divisions going forward.
Hardware is only part of the equation for a platform, look at the computer and mobile markets. Everything is based on the same x86 or ARM chips but you have different software platforms/ecosystems on top of them. The hardware is just the basic foundation, there's still the whole software and services side along with design and whatever else on top that really defines a platform.
How about announcing your biggest series for the platform if you should never underestimate Nintendo EA? Where is Dead Space or Battlefield? Why do I get their feeling their idea of great franchises coming to Wii U is Madden and FIFA
Isn't Madden their biggest series?
Yeah, I guess it's not like they have to make a new engine like the Xbox->360 generational leap. I'm still gonna wait on more details though. :p

EA Sports may be worth being concerned about based on their past, even if they aren't using a new engine either...
I'm concerned about Madden being a new engine like the first 360 one was. Happy in one way, but concerned cause it might be like the early HD Maddens where it was stripped down and rebuilt over the span of a few years. I don't see it happening since it'd be a waste to start over again, then again it's a video game company so who knows.

JordanN

Banned
Ugh, is there any livefeed of Nintendoland that isn't full of compression artifacts (referring to the video, not the gifs)?

But I agree, Nintendoland looks pretty good. In particular, it's handling alot of shadows (very CPU taxing).

Plus, it's doing all that while having to render a second camera for the controller.

tkscz

I never understood how people said the game has bad graphics. The radiosity in NintendoLand's lighting is like nothing I've seen on consoles this gen. Everything shines and reflects, including the confetti floating around, which I'm sure are considered particles. Correct me if I'm wrong but those lighting effects are what made UE4 (the engine that wasn't meant for the WiiU) so great right?

I never understood how people said the game has bad graphics. The radiosity in NintendoLand's lighting is like nothing I've seen on consoles this gen. Everything shines and reflects, including the confetti floating around, which I'm sure are considered particles. Correct me if I'm wrong but those lighting effects are what made UE4 (the engine that wasn't meant for the WiiU) so great right?
Thats all I could thinkof the. The particles and the way everything gleams off one another is something Ive never seen before. And I dont even think the artstyle is simple sometimes ot has the LBP look to it. Its based off simplicity but I doubt many can pull it off as clean as that.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nintendo Land has amazing lighting.
It has decent full-scene dynamic shadowing. It's just that the passing console gen often did not have as much, sparse tour-de-force titles non-withstanding.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Correct me if I'm wrong but those lighting effects are what made UE4 (the engine that wasn't meant for the WiiU) so great right?

No. Making things glisten and shine isn't overly difficult.

ASIS

It doesn't look bad, but everything put together makes it seem like its too much. ESPECIALLY if you take all those Mii's into consideration.

OryoN

People can say what they want about Nintendoland looking bad but imo it looks pretty good especially at the amount of shit just flying around everywhere. The gifs dont do any justice though. I was just up bored watching youtube videos.. Its from the wiiu roundtable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1vqyYIKFsU starting at like 4 mins or something I think.

Been always impressed by Nintendoland. Somewhere back at E3 I mentioned that even though there were no big-buget games with the wow factor people were looking for, many of the games still hinted at the system's rendering capabilities with impressive lighting(various games), animations(pikmin 3's boss), hi-res textures(Nintendoland), and CG-quality depth of field effects(various games), all making up an overall impressive image-quality not seen in current console games.

Some people apparently didn't see what I was seeing, and asked me to post video or images. I was too lazy to do it, but Nintendoland definitely was one of those games that left me with that impression.

tkscz

Exactly, you guys can see here how uprez and GFX is just a simple switch-effort for the development team. Making a true platform-specific title(it's platform engine) requires a big engineering effort.

GOOD GOD! How he just predicts this shit is scary as hell. Like the video game Nostradamus.

ASIS

By the way, something that I believe is not getting the recognition that I think it deserves is this post from the WiiU experience thread: Click!

There's an article in there about the Poster's experience with NSMBU and Pikmin 3, it's pretty good read actually: Click!

But here's the real interesting part regarding Pikmin 3's aiming:

when I placed my hand over the front of the Remote, cutting off the IR camera's ability to function entirely, the on-screen cursor was completely unaffected. So there we have it: aiming is MotionPlus-based, not IR. I bet it still supports IR for people without a MotionPlus-capable Remote, but it was definitely using MotionPlus during my demo, and almost certainly at E3. I can't fault showgoers for being fooled, though, as it felt nothing like the plodding aiming in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and was just as snappy as the aiming in the Wii versions of Pikmin and Pikmin 2. It's good to know that we're just looking at purposefully different gameplay styles here, not a limitation inherent in the MotionPlus technology.

So apparently a lot of us underestimated the Wiimote so far. Now on to the next question, why on earth did no developer actually take full advantage of that thing yet?

-----
Exactly, you guys can see here how uprez and GFX is just a simple switch-effort for the development team. Making a true platform-specific title(it's platform engine) requires a big engineering effort.

This interview was fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Another interview with the Little Inferno devs. They do not actually mention anything Wii U specific, but it's interesting none the less.

http://www.thereticule.com/interview-with-two-kyles-on-little-inferno-and-tomorrow-corporation/

"Maybe it’s just old age, but lately it seems as soon as you pick up a game and start playing, you have a pretty good idea what the whole rest of the game is going to be like. “Ok, this is a platformer, and there’s this mechanic where I can walk on walls and there will be some fun but not totally different puzzles with that. Ok got it.” or “Ok, it’s a 3D shooter and someone let a bunch of killer aliens out, and now I have to shoot them, and ok I bet it was me who was the villain the whole time. Ok got it.” And so we just don’t play many games anymore.

I want to be taken on a ride, and not know where I’m going. I want game designers to respect me enough to NOT let me know exactly what’s going on. Give me hints. Let me NOT know. Let me figure it out. Totally change the game out from under me.

With Little Inferno, we’re intentionally trying to build a game that is NOT predictable. Half the fun is finding out exactly what kind of game it is, and we hope players appreciate that!"

Banned
Good news.
Now I'm waiting for the confirmation for CoD to pass from the negative side on the neutral side.
Give me RE6 and DS3 and I'll jump into the positive side.
Excellent. My most played online multiplayer game is confrimed for Wii U. So far I don't need to purchase a second console.

Hoodbury

So another announcement of an announcement... Rich from IGN tweeted that around mid next week he'll be able to tell us about what he was doing in Japan this week. His tweet mentioned it was unprecedented what they got to do or experience.

I guess we'll see, but perhaps we might get some type of Wii-U news next week.

Bringing up this past post to confirm he went to Japan for Capcom and RE6. You can go to IGN if you want to see his articles. I think there are 3 of them atm. So it wasn't Wii-U news, :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom