• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_erk

From what I read around here the Wii U is 3-4x more powerful than the PS3/360, if the PS4 and 720 are 6-8x more powerful that's definitely in the range of the Wii U in a way.

Unlike the Wii, the WiiU will be in the ballpark of the 720/PS4. It will be possible to port games from those two to the WiiU with acceptable loss of fidelity. This is a big step forward in my mind.

Donnie

How so? They're rumored to be using Jaguar cores, which aren't even out yet, and DDR4, which isn't even out yet. As far as the GPUs go, they seem to be basing their designs off the latest shader model, DX, OpenGL, etc. Possibly GCN cores. Maybe there are cards with more "beef" in the PC market, but Sony/MS seem to be cramming as much in as they can while still keeping it a "console."

Are you talking about cutting edge as in simply modern hardware here or are you talking about cutting edge as in high end hardware? I'm talking about high end, which neither of these systems are looking to me. I mean Jaguar CPU's are the lower end of the new AMD CPU's, on a similar level to the PowerPC 476fp that people have speculated might be the WiiU CPU AFAIK. Also there were more beefy PC GPU's back in 2009 than the one rumoured for PS4, even before that for the rumoured XBox3 GPU. Of course I realise that you can't compare gflops directly between a 2008/9 GPU and a 2013/14 GPU. But looking at a comparison to the PC space now we can see PC cards with over 7Gfops, single GPU's with over 4.

I'm sorry, but I've heard this line way too many times in this thread and I have to start calling it out as bullshit. Was it a bad strategy for PS2? What about the 360? Those were both cutting edge, and wiped the floor with the competition. The only place where the strategy failed was with PS3, and that was only because of the "kitchen sink" approach they took. Kutaragi had just lost his mind at that point.

Edit: Ok, maybe 360 didn't "wipe the floor" but it has been damn successful and still has some life in it. The whole RROD issue could have been avoided as well with the mere inclusion of a decent heatsink from day 1.

XBox 360 has done very well, while the other cutting edge console is still helping to bury Sony. Meanwhile the most cutting edge console from the previous gen put MS in a hole they still haven't come out of (partly because 360 also lost so much to begin with). Of course a cutting edge console can sell well, I just don't think its ever proven to be a greatly profitable venture and when it fails it fails big.

Not as big though compared to PS2 to PS3.

From what I read around here the Wii U is 3-4x more powerful than the PS3/360, if the PS4 and 720 are 6-8x more powerful that's definitely in the range of the Wii U in a way.

Again until we know solid specs it's hard to say, if Wii U was really 3-4 times as powerful as PS360 tho then we wouldn't be hearing the kinds of things we have from Epic like 'UE3 suits Wii U more than UE4'.

From the PS4 thread on here, regarding Sony and MS 'working together', sounds bad if true for Nintendo :( -

"Now, I would really leave this part out, but he did keep on emphasizing this, that a big part of Sony and Microsoft “agreeing” to this is their common desire to exclude Nintendo. By making it easy to port between Microsoft and Sony systems, and making it require extra work to port for Nintendo, it will once again leave Nintendo standing in a corner all alone. I hesitated including this because it makes it more of a “drama” and it’s much easier to find out what Sony and Microsoft are doing than it is to find out what Sony and Microsoft are “feeling.” There is definitely nothing on record that will ever prove Sony and Microsoft have said anything of the sort outright. I guess the most likely scenario for this would be if the publishers came to M and S and demanded they build similar hardware because enough is enough already. It takes too much time and resources to require an extra team for each individual port of a game. It would be better if a developer can work on making one game and the code will essentially work for any system. Microsoft and Sony might have insinuated that they’d agree to hardware features that somehow distance themselves from Nintendo.

It might have been hard for Sony and Microsoft to swallow cooperating with each other, but in their common agenda to make it easier for the developers (and a bit more difficult for Nintendo), they’re going along with it."

Personally I think the wii u will be to the ps3 and ps4 what the psp and and the vita are to the 3ds and i'm perfectly fine with that. I don't know why anyone would expect more. As long as the best looking wii u game looks similar to bad ps4 or nextbox game (unlike the wii where it doesn't even come close) i really can't complain as bad as that may sound

EuroMIX

Its still low of them to use 'confirmed' in the title as if it was actually announced
Btw, all you gotta do is search to see its bullshit, takes 5 seconds - http://seekingalpha.com/article/767...sses-q1-2013-results-earnings-call-transcript

Journalism does suck :(

They probably should have just added a question mark to the title, just to be safe.

Rösti;40554166 said:
Only quote about Wii U I can find is this:

Thanks.

It's all very confusing. We have some journalist basically confirming it, but nothing from the developer themselves. Very weird.

Suppose it all depends on what you view as a full generational leap.

The Wii U is a MASSIVE leap over the original Wii but barely twice as powerful as PS360, if those PS4 / 720 leaked stats are correct then they will be 6-8 times as powerful as PS360.

Anything over five times the power is a full generational leap for me but i guess it is just all opinion :).

6-8 times puts it on par with wii u in my opinion. if wii u has performance of even close to the e6760 then it is on par with PS4. You want a generational leap you need at least a gtx680. Console gaming is not about cutting edge anymore due to the way gpu manufacturers have really embellished on their thermal envelopes. Consoles are stuck at 720p while pc gamers are now moving on to 1440p for single displays. Your happiness lies in the pc/wii u combo my friend. I will probably miss the ps4 exclusives (MS has only Halo) but will jump in when the price is right in a few years.

Banned
I'm in niagara falls today equipped with just an iPhone on 3G, so my posts are going to be short today.

Some thoughts.

FIFA on Vita is way better than the PS3 version so I think the Wii U version will be good too.

I was giddy to see the FIFA screenshots with the "ZL" icons at the top of the screen and I think adjusting formations on the gamepad will be much quicker than using an analog stick.

Also, people wanted a high quantity of quality titles at launch are asking for a Vita all over again. It had 25 games of different genres and popularity and it was great. But now the vita is a barren wasteland with less than 10 games released since April.

So I'm glad the Wii U has a larger launch window to spread out the games.

For example, I might get NSMBU and Darksiders II for launch. Then after Xmas I might get Pikmin 3 and ZombiU and then in the spring I could get P-100. It's better than getting all those in the same 6 week period.

Hold on, are you talking about cutting edge as in simply modern hardware or are you talking about cutting edge as in high end hardware? I'm talking about high end, which neither of these systems are looking to me. I mean Jaguar CPU's are the lower end of the new AMD CPU's and there were more beefy PC GPU's back in 2009.

XBox 360 has done very well, while the other cutting edge console is still helping to bury Sony. Meanwhile the most cutting edge console from the previous gen put MS in a hole they still haven't come out of (partly because 360 also lost so much to begin with). Of course a cutting edge console can sell well, I just don't think its ever proven to be a greatly profitable venture and when it fails it fails big.

Cutting edge to me does not = hardware beef. You could tape a 6-8 PS3s together to get the same effect as a PS4 but that would not make it cutting edge. I'm talking about using the latest technology. That can be used to increase hardware power, decrease TDP, decrease costs and size, or whatever. And I never said that having cutting edge hardware was always successful (there are many factors, of course), but just that it can be part of a winning strategy and has been in the past.

6-8 times puts it on par with wii u in my opinion. if wii u has performance of even close to the e6760 then it is on par with PS4. You want a generational leap you need at least a gtx680. Console gaming is not about cutting edge anymore due to the way gpu manufacturers have really embellished on their thermal envelopes. Consoles are stuck at 720p while pc gamers are now moving on to 1440p for single displays. Your happiness lies in the pc/wii u combo my friend. I will probably miss the ps4 exclusives (MS has only Halo) but will jump in when the price is right in a few years.

Huh ?...

If Wii U is twice as powerful as PS360 (which by the way none of us have seen proof of), then how is a system another 4-6 times as powerful again 'on par' with the Wii U lol.

Donnie

Cutting edge to me does not = hardware beef. You could tape a 6-8 PS3s together to get the same effect as a PS4 but that would not make it cutting edge. I'm talking about using the latest technology. That can be used to increase hardware power, decrease TDP, decrease costs and size, or whatever. And I never said that having cutting edge hardware was always successful (there are many factors, of course), but just that it can be part of a winning strategy and has been in the past.

Ok its a perfectly legitimate use of the phrase. Its just not what I meant and I think it may not have been what Anth0ny meant. I get the impression he was talking about going very high end/expensive. Using modern hardware always makes sense unless you're held back in doing so.

Huh ?...

If Wii U is twice as powerful as PS360 (which by the way none of us have seen proof of), then how is a system another 4-6 times as powerful again 'on par' with the Wii U lol.

Yeah, if we're using FLOPS as gauge, the e6760 would be about 2-3x above PS360, which in reality is not going to make a huge noticeable difference in most instances.

Edit: Well, it could be noticeable if devs actually give a damn. I'm still optimistic about WiiU's graphical output, especially since I'm pretty sure that eDRAM will be on-chip and pull more weight than 360's.

Ryoku

Huh ?...

"On par" is a term of subjectivity. What should be really taken into account is whether or not it will be able to handle ports, which from rumored specs of all three next-gen consoles, seems possible (just reduced detail).

But I'll work out the math.

PS360 = 1
Wii U = 2(?)
PS4/720 = 6-8x(PS360) or 3-4x(Wii U)

EDIT: In contrast to the 20x disparity between Wii and 360 due to GPU FLOP rating alone.

Personally, I'm putting Wii U at more than two times the raw power of PS360. Around three is my guess, but I don't like using these multipliers without context (it's a big generality, referring to raw power, so take it as you will). Architectures will be miles similar among the next gen consoles, too, if the specs are anything to go by.

Sorry if i missed the reply.

When is this EA event, where is the old school E3 counter ! ;).

About 45 min.

Donnie

Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction! Still not too happy about this. The improvements to the physics/mechanics (first-touch control etc) sound fantastic and after playing 12 to death I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to FIFA13, I'll probably just get the PC version anyway, assuming it'll continue to be the best version.

Pineconn

Huh?...

3-4, not 4-6. :)

I love BS power multiplier math.

EDIT: Super duper beaten. Damn slow phone.

Ok its a perfectly legitimate use of the phrase. Its just not what I meant and I think it may not have been what Anth0ny meant. I get the impression he was talking about going very high end/expensive. Using modern hardware always makes sense unless you're held back in doing so.

Yeah, that's all I was getting at. In this age of parallel processing, you can always cram more and more shaders and cores (hey, that should be a song) but then you'd need a case which doesn't fit in most people's entertainment centers and costs much much more than the cost of "cutting edge" hardware back in the PS2 era and before.

Yeah, if we're using FLOPS as gauge, the e6760 would be about 2-3x above PS360, which in reality is not going to make a huge noticeable difference in most instances.

Edit: Well, it could be noticeable if devs actually give a damn. I'm still optimistic about WiiU's graphical output, especially since I'm pretty sure that eDRAM will be on-chip and pull more weight than 360's.

Three times more powerful in FLOPs terms would be almost 800 gigaFLOPS, i thought we had put those rumours to bed with the help of Ideaman and BG, i thought it was pretty much a safe bet it was around the 500 gigaFLOP range.

If it turns out to be close to a teraFLOP of GPU grunt and 2GB's of Ram then that is pretty damn powerful !.

I suppose no matter what it is in power terms the real issue will be how much of it's grunt does the tablet display use up, if it's rendering a second image of the game.

I think one of the things i have been guilty of regarding Nintendo Land is that it is displaying a pretty nice cartoony 720p image on screen with impressive lighting and then doing the same thing again on the tablet.

Huh ?...

I'm sure you know much more about tech specs than i do but we should really just look at the games for both platforms to decide if it's on par. From what i remember, john carmack said a few years ago that the iphone was dreamcast level hardware and now its just a little better than that but games like infinity blade and dead trigger and batman would make me believe that the iphone has close to xbox 360 level performance

Three times more powerful in FLOPs terms would be almost 800 gigaFLOPS, i thought we had put those rumours to bed with the help of Ideaman and BG, i thought it was pretty much a safe bet it was around the 500 gigaFLOP range.

If it turns out to be close to a teraFLOP of GPU grunt and 2GB's of Ram then that is pretty damn powerful !.

I suppose no matter what it is in power terms the real issue will be how much of it's grunt does the tablet display use up, if it's rendering a second image of the game.

I think one of the things i have been guilty of regarding Nintendo Land is that it is displaying a pretty nice cartoony 720p image on screen with impressive lighting and then doing the same thing again on the tablet.

I'm expecting about 600 GFLOPS (614.4 if I were a betting man). Obviously much closer to 2x than 3x, but I just put it in a range because I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. Xenos does what - 240 GFLOPS?

I'm sure you know much more about tech specs than i do but we should really just look at the games for both platforms to decide if it's on par. From what i remember, john carmack said a few years ago that the iphone was dreamcast level hardware and now its just a little better than that but games like infinity blade and dead trigger and batman would make me believe that the iphone has close to xbox 360 level performance

I really don't.

I go on - amount of Ram, CPU clock speeds and FLOP counts lol :p.

Remember the days when none of this mattered and all that did was the games... damn the internet ! ;).

Berg

To change the pace..lets talk about the WiiU's Portability?
Since you don't "need" a TV for most games, the only thing you would need is a power source.
Put your WiiU into a book bag, and play mario on the bus ( if you've got a power outlet, or battery :p )

Kacho

Since you don't "need" a TV for most games, the only thing you would need is a power source.
Put your WiiU into a book bag, and play mario on the bus ( if you've got a power outlet, or battery :p )

Joke post? Can't tell.

I'm expecting about 600 GFLOPS (614.4 if I were a betting man). Obviously much closer to 2x than 3x, but I just put it in a range because I don't have the exact numbers in front of me. Xenos does what - 240 GFLOPS?

Aye, around 480 - 520 gigaFLOPs (twice the Xenos) was the final number talked about coming from the few people on here apparently in the know.

When you take into account the strain the tablet is putting on the hardware tho im guessing it's only going to be around 50% more powerful than PS360 (improved lighting, textures, true 720p, 60fps for most games) which funnily enough is what was rumoured from the very start.

I would be happy enough with a Nintendo console as powerful as PS360 tbh, i just want the big first party games !!!.

Ow I'm a member now :).

Donnie

The Wii U is a MASSIVE leap over the original Wii but barely twice as powerful as PS360, if those PS4 / 720 leaked stats are correct then they will be 6-8 times as powerful as PS360.

Anything over five times the power is a full generational leap for me but i guess it is just all opinion :).

It also comes down to how you define x times more powerful. I definitely wouldn't consider WiiU to be only barely twice PS360 for instance.

Ryoku

62142_340.jpg

EuroMIX

I certainly think it has some portable potential. If the system's signal can't reach to the bedroom or whatever, as people may fear, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to stack the Gamepad on top of the system and simply carry into whatever room you want to play it in?

Ryoku

Aye, around 480 - 520 gigaFLOPs (twice the Xenos) was the final number talked about coming from the few people on here apparently in the know.

When you take into account the strain the tablet is putting on the hardware tho im guessing it's only going to be around 50% more powerful than PS360 (improved lighting, textures, true 720p, 60fps for most games) which funnily enough is what was rumoured from the very start.

I would be happy enough with a Nintendo console as powerful as PS360 tbh, i just want the big first party games !!!.

I thought that the reigning estimate was 576 GFLOPs.
The Gamepad only puts enough stress on the system if it's displaying a separate 3D image. Slap an inventory system on there, or even a map, and you've significantly improved resources that can be allocated elsewhere. I have a feeling we're going to see many games do this.

It also comes down to how you define x times more powerful. I definitely wouldn't consider WiiU to be only barely twice PS360 for instance.

I suppose we would have to know what kind of strain the tablet puts on the hardware.

If it is a slower clocked 360 like CPU, 1.5GB's of Ram and a 520FLOP GPU, once you take into account the tablets effect on the hardware it is prob roughly twice as powerful as PS360.

Now show us some games that back that up Nintendo.

This September launch event can't come soon enough !.

I thought that the reigning estimate was 576 GFLOPs.
The Gamepad only puts enough stress on the system if it's displaying a separate 3D image. Slap an inventory system on there, or even a map, and you've significantly improved resources that can be allocated elsewhere. I have a feeling we're going to see many games do this.

Yeah you are correct, my bad, i knew it was 5-something, 576 gigaFLOPs was what most people agreed on altho i don't exactly know how they got such a specific number lol :p.

Yeah im aware of that, the big question is how many games are going to render the game twice, how many of the E3 games did it for instance ?.

NSMB, Nintendo Land and Rabbids Land did i think.

Aye, around 480 gigaFLOPs (twice the Xenos) was the final number talked about coming from the few people on here apparently in the know.

I would be happy enough with a Nintendo console as powerful as PS360 tbh i just want the big first party games !!!.

I think it will be a bit higher than that. Last I heard, bgassassin was at around 576 GFLOPS (unless those lighting extensions really end up eating alot of transistors) and there was another supposed insider who claimed 600-800 GFLOPS, but closer to 600. Maybe you were reading too many posts from the pessimists? ;)

I agree on you with what the games look like, except I believe 60fps will stay reserved for pretty much the same types of games as they are today - racers, fighters, Mario, etc. For current gen ports, it might be doable, but we'll see. RAM bandwidth could make that an issue.

Edit: Congrats on becoming a member!

Donnie

I would be happy enough with a Nintendo console as powerful as PS360 tbh i just want the big first party games !!!.

You have to remember that the WiiU controller doesn't put any strain on the hardware unless the developer chooses to make the game that way. The developer can use no power at all for the controller screen if they choose, or they could use a simple 2d map and use next to nothing, or they could go all out and use 100% theoretically (If Nintendo's SDK allows that of course). It can't be used to defining the power of the system if it doesn't use any performance by default.

I'd say something in the 500 range is a reasonable assumption for WiiU's GPU, however its a more modern GPU (DX9 vs DX10.1+). I'd expect that to give us quite a bit more than twice the power of any current gen console GPU due to the more modern design.

tkscz

Anyone here can tell you X times something is not a good measurement due to Architecture playing a big role in how things run on hardware and what the hardware can do. It's best not to think about times anything.

Probably wouldn't work for some games that make heavy use of the gamepad (like ZombiU), but for games that don't use it much I don't think it would be a problem. Could be a good system for a long road trip. You could just plug it into the car lighter and have access to some full console games on the road. Would be pretty sweet!

Probably wouldn't work for some games that make heavy use of the gamepad (like ZombiU), but for games that don't use it much I don't think it would be a problem. Could be a good system for a long road trip. You could just plug it into the car lighter and have access to some full console games on the road. Would be pretty sweet!

I can see it now: "Mom, don't turn off the car! I haven't saved yet!" haha

I guess it's all pointless speculation, until Nintendo show us a real graphical showcase it all means nothing.

Hopefully at the rumoured September event they give us a couple of trailers for games out in mid to late 2013, altho the cynic in me thinks all the big first party reveals will be kept for E3 to fend off the PS4 / 720 onslaught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom