• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie

I think it will be a bit higher than that. Last I heard, bgassassin was at around 576 GFLOPS (unless those lighting extensions really end up eating alot of transistors) and there was another supposed insider who claimed 600-800 GFLOPS, but closer to 600. Maybe you were reading too many posts from the pessimists? ;)

I agree on you with what the games look like, except I believe 60fps will stay reserved for pretty much the same types of games as they are today - racers, fighters, Mario, etc. For current gen ports, it might be doable, but we'll see. RAM bandwidth could make that an issue.

Edit: Congrats on becoming a member!

Hmm, can you remember who that was?

Berg

62142_340.jpg

For real tho, I've got a two prong power outlet in my car. Can't remember if wii was 2 or 3 pronged. But I'm sure my passengers would love to play some WiiU. Or while waiting for my girlfriend to try on clothes at Victoria secret, I can plug my WiiU in and play away! lol

Ryoku

Yeah you are correct, my bad, i knew it was 5-something, 576 gigaFLOPs was what most people agreed on altho i don't exactly know how they got such a specific number lol :p.

Yeah im aware of that, the big question is how many games are going to render the game twice, how many of the E3 games did it for instance ?.

NSMB, Nintendo Land and Rabbids Land did i think.

Arkham City, Zombi U, Rayman Legends, Fifa '13, Japanese Garden Demo, Zelda tech demo, and I can't remember more (if there even are anymore).

Arkham City and Zombi U don't constantly display the second view, but I'd imagine that performance levels and image quality would have to be consistent, therefore, the game was probably developed with that in mind in the first place.

For real tho, I've got a two prong power outlet in my car. Can't remember if wii was 2 or 3 pronged. But I'm sure my passengers would love to play some WiiU. Or while waiting for my girlfriend to try on clothes at Victoria secret, I can plug my WiiU in and play away! lol

Wii U is not a portable console, and even Nintendo put emphasis on that. Portable within the house, maybe. There is no processing hardware within the Gamepad (aside from a video decoder/encoder or something, I think).

tkscz

I guess it's all pointless speculation, until Nintendo show us a real graphical showcase it all means nothing.

Hopefully at the rumoured September event they give us a couple of trailers for games out in mid to late 2013, altho the cynic in me thinks all the big first party reveals will be kept for E3 to fend off the PS4 / 720 onslaught.

Ok, people need to get the idea that PS4/X3 is going to have this amazing onslaught of games and will instantly kill the WiiU.

Berg

Wii U is not a portable console, and even Nintendo put emphasis on that. Portable within the house, maybe.

Theoretically it's possible. We know its a home console. But the fact that you don't need a TV for some games, only power to turn the console on, makes it possible for it to be semi portable.

Edit: meaning you can take both the console and gamepad with you, granted you have access to a power source. No one thinks you can take just the gamepad with you.

Ryoku

Theoretically it's possible. We know its a home console. But the fact that you don't need a TV for some games, only power to turn the console on, makes it possible for it to be semi portable

It can only be done within the wireless range of the console itself. The controller has no processing hardware inside it.

Edit: meaning you can take both the console and gamepad with you, granted you have access to a power source. No one thinks you can take just the gamepad with you.

Err, well..... Sure.

Hmm, can you remember who that was?

I think it was some dude on IRC. Ask Z0m3le. I take it with a grain of salt, but I haven't heard anything from any reliable source to go against it. Devs who say 1.5x Xenos can't be talking about pure FLOPS, because that would be too pathetic.
Right?

Berg

It can only be done within the wireless range of the console itself. The controller has no processing hardware inside it.

Well yea, the console has to be in range. If you put the console in a book bag, and can plug it into a power source, you have a "portable" gaming device.

Donnie

I suppose we would have to know what kind of strain the tablet puts on the hardware.

If it is a slower clocked 360 like CPU, 1.5GB's of Ram and a 520FLOP GPU, once you take into account the tablets effect on the hardware it is prob roughly twice as powerful as PS360.

Now show us some games that back that up Nintendo.

This September launch event can't come soon enough !.

Its definitely not a lower clocked 360 like CPU. Its lower clocked but its quite a different CPU. I'd bet that while the fact that its lower clocked and a different design can cause some problems with Xenon code that overall its as powerful or more so than that CPU. Also you have to take into account the dedicated sound and I/O controllers.

I've already mentioned the significance of the controller on performance. I know you realise that the controller doesn't take any power away from the system by default. In which case its wrong to use it to judge the power of the system in comparison to any other. Any developer can decide to send 100% of system resources to the TV screen after all.

Kacho

Why would it be a joke post? It could actually be a viable console for long road trips. Now its not gonna be a 3DS but still, better than any other home console before it.

The Wii U is not exactly small. Saying it would make a good portable system is kind of funny to me personally. Don't let me take away from your fun, though. I ain't hatin'.

I suppose we would have to know what kind of strain the tablet puts on the hardware.

If it is a slower clocked 360 like CPU, 1.5GB's of Ram and a 520FLOP GPU, once you take into account the tablets effect on the hardware it is prob roughly twice as powerful as PS360.

Now show us some games that back that up Nintendo.

This September launch event can't come soon enough !.

I thought the GPU had a bit more grunt then that, based off rumors ITT? Regardless the most important factor is the modern feature set, atleast when compared to PS360, no? I guess that's why the BS multipliers are only part of the equation.

Hoodbury

Kinda a big blow for them to outright say the Wii-U is for casuals. /sigh... They're just paving the way for other 3rd parties now.

I don't play fifa, can someone that is a fan of the franchise give impressions on how helpful these features will be?

Edit: They look helpful and neat... Just not familiar enough with fifa to know if it would be helpful or not.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kinda a big blow for them to outright say the Wii-U is for casuals. /sigh... They're just paving the way for other 3rd parties now.

Well, they did say you can play it exactly as you would play it on the 360. If all the modes are in that is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom