• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeInky

AoT is March 2013 and I'd much prefer to have a good game 3 months after launch that is launched at the same exact time as other Platforms then have a year old port. MoH is Oct, IIRC.... Still, I'm sure they could have released one of those 2 titles and ME3. :)

Wait, let me just get something straight here, are you asking for MoH and AoT to be launch titles for the WiiU? Or for WiiU versions just to be announced?

Because the former is unrealistic in AoT's case and the latter would probably be blocked by NDA, given Nintendo's fetish for focusing on launch window only.

Don't know what's happening with MoH, though I'm not particularly interested in it, either. The only EA title I sortof care about currently is Dead Space 3, and even that is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

The mature people are the ones who stopped giving a shit about what other people thought, accepted the differing opinions and tastes between the some 6.9 billion people who inhabit this Earth, and got one with enjoying whatever it is they wish to enjoy regardless of what others are doing.

I didn't give a shit about what you just said.

Not to stir the debate again, but you can be 'hardcore' about anything. I know hardcore Bubble Bobble players :)

Maybe your idea of hardcore is another man's idea of 'not cute'? Pikmin requires a lot of thought and has room for a lot of skill - but it just looks very friendly and cute.

Fair enough, also remember i never called it casual either, i said out of all the games Nintendo showed at E3 i would put it more into the casual / core pile rather than casual or core.

jmizzal

Who was it who said they saw support for two Gamepads in FIFA?

iqUtedBhv8FV3.png

Doesn't seem so to me.

5 player Madden local multiplayer very nice :)

The mature people are the ones who stopped giving a shit about what other people thought, accepted the differing opinions and tastes between the some 6.9 billion people who inhabit this Earth, and got one with enjoying whatever it is they wish to enjoy regardless of what others are doing.

Wasn't the 7th billion baby born quite a while ago ? :p.

Wait, let me just get something straight here, are you asking for MoH and AoT to be launch titles for the WiiU? Or for WiiU versions just to be announced?

Because the former is unrealistic in AoT's case and the latter would probably be blocked by NDA, given Nintendo's fetish for focusing on launch window only.

Don't know what's happening with MoH, though I'm not particularly interested in it, either. The only EA title I sortof care about currently is Dead Space 3, and even that is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Oh, I see. That's where the confusion came from... :) I wasn't meaning launch, just that for Wii U owners it would be better to have those games instead of a year old port. They both would be within the "launch window" since the latest one of the two is set for release in March.To be clear, it's more about the system getting ports than me wanting those games personally. Not only can I get them on 360, but I'm unlikely to pick up either of them. I just think for the system to be successful it's going to need ports of those types of games.

Shin'en media.

Aye, thought so. Still so much intrigue about what the Wii U could do in the right hands - Shin'en knew how to work the Wii over so by all accounts they should be making games on the Wii U with consummate ease. More jaw dropping than Trine though?

Yeah, I used to watch a lot of horror films when I was younger; Evil Dead; Bad Taste; yadda yadda, but I just haven't got the stomach for such media any more - I grew out of it! So who's really the 'kiddies' here? The people who are mature enough to move on from salacious macabre blood and guts titillation, or those who can't?

Just to be clear i don't equate violence or pixel b00bs with a hardcore game, i never really thought about the difference before the Wii tbh.

Wii Play / Fit / Sports are all extremely casual in my view but i don't dislike them, i would love a Wii U Sports, really surprised they never had this for launch or maybe included some of the games in Wii U Fit to get more people to buy it then they can trap them into buying the balance board, ITS A TRAP ! ;).

ASIS

Yeah, I used to watch a lot of horror films when I was younger; Evil Dead; Bad Taste; yadda yadda, but I just haven't got the stomach for such media any more - I grew out of it! So who's really the 'kiddies' here? The people who are mature enough to move on from salacious macabre blood and guts titillation, or those who can't?

That's not what I meant. People can enjoy whatever they want, hell a 40 year old person could enjoy actual kids shows and it would be cool. I just don't agree that an age requirement to grow out of any sort of entertainment really, gory titles included. A person can grow out of something, but it has very little to do with maturity... one could just get bored of it. And honestly, Pikmin IS a cute game with a simple purpose through and through. That's not what I'm debating here, what I meant was his/her idea of the game's appeal is very much mistaken. The reason why most of the audience find Pikmin appealing is not because of the aesthetics, it could be one of the reasons, but its not the main one and it hardly gives an accurate description of what the games really are.

EatChildren.

Are you an 'insider', like Ideaman and BG ?.

P.S.

You're name disturbs me greatly, also why is your name Red ?.

Thanks for the Q and A ;).

Can't change your stance now, you're doomed forever.

I suppose you guys have taught me a lesson, never judge something by how it looks, you could in theory be hardcore at Angry Birds even tho it is widely considered one of the most casual games ever made.

The industry does tend to tag everything as either casual or hardcore to be fair tho, didn't watch the EA thing tonight but people seemed to be getting very upset about EA refering to the Wii U audience as casual.

DrWong

Er..what? I did take it from the showcase demo. Its right there in the video you linked :s What do you mean it's not in the same slot?

:confused:
So I'm confused too because if you look closely at the video you will notice the Gamepad is not in the same slot. In your screenshot it's in the left (or first) slot, in the video in the right (or second) slot. Sorry if I'm not clear. : / Just compare.

Edit: and also another difference, under the Gamepad icon, in your screen, there's a "classic" mention/tag while in my link it's not the case, there's nothing under the Gamepad icon.

So I'm confused too because if you look closely at the video you will notice the Gamepad is not in the same slot. In your screenshot it's in the left (or first) slot, in the video in the right (or second) slot. Sorry if I'm not clear. : / Just compare.

Is there a video of the EA event ?, wouldn't mind watching it.

Who was it who said they saw support for two Gamepads in FIFA?

iqUtedBhv8FV3.png

Doesn't seem so to me.
It just looks like there isnt a second gamepad to play with not that it isnt supported..also why are they using classic controller image instead of the WiiU controller pro? I think everything from this event was pre E3 stuff or something.

Pittree

That FIFA gameplay implementation looks very cool. Just a few hours ago I was sure to stay on hold for PES on Wii U since they decided to wait and release the "next gen" version using fox engine. Now I don't know.
I don't want to jump on FIFA again just to be blown away a few months later when the truly next gen PES arrives. Is this going to be a good version that holds togeteher at least two years? or even with all those cool options we are getting the short stick.

What do you guys think? Are you making the jump or are you going to wait for PES/FIFA 14 on Wii U? I bought the first maddenn on Wii and didn't regret it, however PES first iteration on 3DS was a lot better than FIFA IMO.

Glass Joe

I'm seriously confused on why Madde/Fifa/CoD is a good thing for the Wii U launch. All three games are multiplatform even before the Wii U, and will see earlier releases on those platforms before the Wii U. None of those will help ship more Wii U units. These aren't new games only possible on the Wii U, they're Wii U versions of the same games people can already buy for systems they would already own if they're fans of those series.

This is at best a win for Wii only gamers, maybe pushing them to adopt the system earlier then they initially planned? Seems unlikely to really make any difference in the systems launch performance.

Well, multiplatform games aren't really system sellers, so games like those alone won't be the catalyst for most people picking up a U. It's more about presenting a diverse line-up of quality software. Also, setting a precedent that says "your favorite sports games will finally be on a Nintendo platform with no compromises." (At least until Microsoft and Sony's successors come out). And if the games can look even a little better or use the touch screen in interesting ways, even better. It might make some of those "roster update" sports titles feel a little fresher. Maybe the less hardcore Madden fans can wait a little while to pick up '13 if they think it's going to feel different.

Some people on the fence about the U might not bite if they feel they couldn't get their sports fix. And some that do bite might trade in their existing FIFA 13 copies for the U SKU when they do get a Wii, if they like the features. It would be better to be "the Nintendo platform with the best of PS360" than just the Nintendo platform, like Wii turned out to be.

And console launches are the best way for games to get attention again, so some gamers that overlooked Batman and Mass Effect might give them a shot. "Oh I heard that game is good and I never got around to it, I'll try it on U." Though yeah, seeing it used on 360 or even marked down on retail isn't going to be a great thing for the U version....

I think most people on the board who owned a Wii also either had a PS3 or 360, but I'm sure there's some out there in the real world who didn't and they might find those games appealing.

So you're right in that those games arriving late will be a shame. But it would be far worse if EA & 2K's sports games ignored the platform.

AzaK

It just looks like there isnt a second gamepad to play with not that it isnt supported..also why are they using classic controller image instead of the WiiU controller pro? I think everything from this event was pre E3 stuff or something.

Wouldn't surprise me because the GamePad that was shown at the end of one of the demos was still sporting sliders.

Pineconn

Going on what it says under his name i think he prefers men rather than women !.

damn-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1297.gif

Having finally watched the EA footage, I came away generally happy. The FIFA guy sounded too PR-ish, though, trying to appeal to all and thus appealing to few. Regardless, it looks excellent.

That's not what I meant. People can enjoy whatever they want, hell a 40 year old person could enjoy actual kids shows and it would be cool. I just don't agree that an age is required to grow out of any sort of entertainment really, gory titles included. A person can grow out of something, but it has very little to do with maturity... one could just get bored of it. And honestly, Pikmin IS a cute game with a simple purpose through and through. That's not what I'm debating here, what I meant was his/her idea of the game's appeal is very much mistaken. The reason why most of the audience find Pikmin appealing is not because of the aesthetics, it could be one of the reasons, but its not the main one and it hardly gives an accurate description of what the games really are.

It wasn't mine either. It was a slight off tangent generalisation of the whole 'hardcore gamer' superiority standpoint; a direct polar opposite comparison to challenge the thought method without an emphasis on soul searching.

Cute games != easy, shallow games.

There's a pro troll on YouTube called ***** who basically looks like he makes a good living out of making fanboy videos taking the piss out of Nintendo and 'kiddie' games. He used recorded footage of himself playing Sonic on the 360 as an example of a kiddie game. For a kiddie game, he sure had a hard time trying to play it.

Is anyone worried that there are going to be too many games at launch ?, there must be around 40 - 50 games announced by now.

Could lead to a lot of games selling really poorly as most consumers will only be able to afford the console and two or three games and im assuming two of them would be NSBM U and Nintendo Land for a LOT of people.

ASIS

I suppose you guys have taught me a lesson, never judge something by how it looks, you could in theory be hardcore at Angry Birds even tho it is widely considered one of the most casual games ever made.

The industry does tend to tag everything as either casual or hardcore to be fair tho, didn't watch the EA thing tonight but people seemed to be getting very upset about EA refering to the Wii U audience as casual.

People tend to label things as casual or hardcore without even understanding what these terms mean, hell I don't even know myself.

But the reason why I, and many people got upset about EA's comment is because the industry's perception of a casual game is a title, while accessible, is bankrupt of any innovation, appeal, style, polish, or depth. These titles are a waste of time, money and resources and would highly disappoint us fans if that really is the outlook of the Wii U (luckily that isn't the case).

Put your head to rest about this baseless debate and enjoy the games for what they really are, no need to label them one way or the other. I, for one, greatly enjoyed titles such as angry birds, Brain Age, and Wii Sports even if they are considered "casual" by some of the posters in this forum.

damn-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1297.gif

Having finally watched the EA footage, I came away generally happy. The FIFA guy sounded too PR-ish, though, trying to appeal to all and thus appealing to few. Regardless, it looks excellent.

Lol, love the GIF, that man is a true legend !.

Can you link me the EA video please ?.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EatChildren.

Are you an 'insider', like Ideaman and BG ?.

P.S.

You're name disturbs me greatly, also why is your name Red ?.

Thanks for the Q and A ;).

I used to write for the Australian website PALGN. It was founded as a free, PAL focused alternative to IGN way back when IGN started charging for premium access to forums/website content. That website went to shit, and much of staff at the time (myself included) left to form Rocket Chainsaw earlier this year.

So yes, I have 'sources', but hearing things is mostly a case of doing stuff in this field. You naturally hear things from time to time, some true others not so much. It's a nice perk.

And my name is red because I'm a moderator.

Ryoku

Old/Developer build. And damn, I thought it was two Gamepads supported when I first saw that screen flash by really quickly.

People tend to label things as casual or hardcore without even understanding what these terms mean, hell I don't even know myself.

But the reason why I, and many people got upset about EA's comment is because the industry's perception of a casual game is a title, while accessible, is bankrupt of any innovation, appeal, style, polish, or depth. These titles are a waste of time, money and resources and would highly disappoint us fans if that really is the outlook of the Wii U (luckily that isn't the case).

Put your head to rest about this baseless debate and enjoy the games for what they really are, no need to label them one way or the other. I, for one, greatly enjoyed titles such as angry birds, Brain Age, and Wii Sports even if they are considered "casual" by some of the posters in this forum.

Just to be clear i meant no offence to anyone, i simply put the Wii U launch games into three categories - Core, Casual and Casual / Core last night and i seem to be getting killed for it lol.

When i started really getting into games at the start of the PS1 / N64 generation the only difference between core and casual was how many hours per week you played.

I thought it was common knowledge that games like Wii Fit / Play / Music / Sports, NSMB, Iphone games / Kinect games were more casual experiences and games like Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy more hardcore titles, i guess that was just my opinion tho.

As i have said tho when you really think about it ANY game can be hardcore, it's all about how you view them and how dedicated you are.

I used to write for the Australian website PALGN. It was founded as a free, PAL focused alternative to IGN way back when IGN started charging for premium access to forums/website content. That website went to shit, and much of staff at the time (myself included) left to form Rocket Chainsaw earlier this year.

So yes, I have 'sources', but hearing things is mostly a case of doing stuff in this field. You naturally hear things from time to time, some true others not so much. It's a nice perk.

And my name is red because I'm a moderator.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you hearing more hardware / software 'leaks / rumours' for PS4 / 720 than Wii U ?, if so those Nintendo Ninjas are truly amazing ! :).

Ryoku

Just to be clear i meant no offence to anyone, i simply put the Wii U launch games into three categories - Core, Casual and Casual / Core last night and i seem to be getting killed for it lol.

When i started really getting into games at the start of the PS1 / N64 generation the only difference between core and casual was how many hours per week you played.

I thought it was common knowledge that games like Wii Fit / Play / Music / Sports, NSMB, Iphone games / Kinect games were more casual experiences and games like Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy more hardcore titles, i guess that was just my opinion tho.

As i have said tho when you really think about it ANY game can be hardcore, it's all about how you view them and how dedicated you are.

I don't like placing the big Nintendo franchises in separate categories (except, maybe Zelda and Metroid). Those games are made for everyone. Casuals can enjoy them, and the "core" crowd can enjoy them just as much.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks for the reply.

Are you hearing more hardware / software 'leaks / rumours' for PS4 / 720 than Wii U ?, if so those Nintendo Ninjas are truly amazing ! :).

Not really. It's been pretty even across the board, and most of what I knew (in terms of hardware) has now leaked.

I don't like placing the big Nintendo franchises in separate categories (except, maybe Zelda and Metroid). Those games are made for everyone. Casuals can enjoy them, and the "core" crowd can enjoy them just as much.

Yeah im going to shut up about core / casual from now on lol :p.

Does anyone on here own stock in Nintendo ?, i would love a small amount but have no idea how to go about it.

I also read their stock went from $15 per share to $85 per share when the Wii launched !, easy money.

Drago

I just thought about this... what are the chances that I'll be able to transfer stuff from two Wiis to one WiiU?

I have a Red one with all my game save data and a few VC games and my old White one that can't play games that has about 20 VC/WiiWare games. I'd really like to be able to transfer both but I feel that I would need to send everything in to do that :(

No mention of Madden here, maybe because it's a UK site ? -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/361354/mass-effect-3-fifa-13-are-wii-u-launch-titles/

More info on Fifa -

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...e-gamepad-brings-you-closer-to-the-touchline/

First user comment pretty much sums people views on the tablet controller up for most games :( -

"You cant look at both the tv and the game pad at the same time, so whats the point?

Your going to have to pause the game to start playing around with subs etc etc on the game pad. Which takes all the effort of pressing the 'start' button on the ps3. Is that really going to change a gamers life?? No.

I stand by my initial thoughts made 6 months ago............Gimmick. (i am waiting to be persuaded otherwise- i dont hate nintendo)"

Yeah im going to shut up about core / casual from now on lol :p.

Does anyone on here own stock in Nintendo ?, i would love a small amount but have no idea how to go about it.

I also read their stock went from $15 per share to $85 per share when the Wii launched !, easy money.

I think Azak does. He'll probably let you have'em though for a packet of dry roasted peanuts.

Some disturbing reading about Fifa on Eurogamer -

"When Wii U launches, the first message EA wants to stress is that early adopters will get the full-fat, full-resolution football experience. Which is broadly correct, although, as a rep notes while I'm giving the Wii U version a run-out at EA Canada, this is "FIFA 12.5" - in the sense that it won't carry every new feature from this year's PS3 and 360 updates, since the team has had so much porting work to do on the new platform."

Link -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-02-fifa-13-wii-u-preview-nintendo-gets-parity-at-last

Some disturbing reading about Fifa on Eurogamer -

"When Wii U launches, the first message EA wants to stress is that early adopters will get the full-fat, full-resolution football experience. Which is broadly correct, although, as a rep notes while I'm giving the Wii U version a run-out at EA Canada, this is "FIFA 12.5" - in the sense that it won't carry every new feature from this year's PS3 and 360 updates, since the team has had so much porting work to do on the new platform."

Link -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-02-fifa-13-wii-u-preview-nintendo-gets-parity-at-last

Dat unprecedented partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom