• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some disturbing reading about Fifa on Eurogamer -

"When Wii U launches, the first message EA wants to stress is that early adopters will get the full-fat, full-resolution football experience. Which is broadly correct, although, as a rep notes while I'm giving the Wii U version a run-out at EA Canada, this is "FIFA 12.5" - in the sense that it won't carry every new feature from this year's PS3 and 360 updates, since the team has had so much porting work to do on the new platform."

Link -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-02-fifa-13-wii-u-preview-nintendo-gets-parity-at-last

This is nothing new. EA is notorious with doing this on launch platforms. NBA Live 06 on the 360 was completely half assed compared to the ps2 version with several features missing.

Dat unprecedented partnership

Seems to be one step forward and two steps back regarding third parties and the Wii U :(, how hard is it to port the 13 engine to the U rather than the 12 engine, jesus...

No mention of Madden on Eurogamer either which is strange as i would say Madden is a pretty big game in the UK at least, did they say it was a launch day game for America ?.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is nothing new. EA is notorious with doing this on launch platforms. NBA Live 06 on the 360 was completely half assed compared to the ps2 version with several features missing.

I suppose that is true. Let's see what happens next year, though I admit I am not exactly optimistic.

Still nice to see it at launch though.

Diablos54

Seems to be one step forward and two steps back regarding third parties and the Wii U :(, how hard is it to port the 13 engine to the U rather than the 12 engine, jesus...

No mention of Madden on Eurogamer either which is strange as i would say Madden is a pretty big game in the UK at least, did they say it was a launch day game for America ?.
It's really not...

It's really not...

It's obviously not as popular as it is in America but the sport along with the UFC is prob the fastest growing sport here, they sell out Wembley once a year for an NFL game.

The Madden games don't price drop nearly as fast as they used to either which leads me to believe they are shifting more copies.

Did they say at the EA event that Madden 13 is a Wii U launch day game for America at least ?.

AzaK

I think Azak does. He'll probably let you have'em though for a packet of dry roasted peanuts.

Piss off! Two packets!

Yes I do own Nintendo "stocks" in the form of NTDOY (They are called ADR or Pink Sheets. as the 'real' Nintendo stocks are on the Osaka exchange) . I use ETrade as my online broker which is a US based company.

"When Wii U launches, the first message EA wants to stress is that early adopters will get the full-fat, full-resolution football experience. Which is broadly correct, although, as a rep notes while I'm giving the Wii U version a run-out at EA Canada, this is "FIFA 12.5" - in the sense that it won't carry every new feature from this year's PS3 and 360 updates, since the team has had so much porting work to do on the new platform."

Link -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-02-fifa-13-wii-u-preview-nintendo-gets-parity-at-last

So I guess another team was working on the Wii U version and porting the work the lead SKU team was doing as they went. They probably ran out of time to get everything over there. Shame.

Piss off! Two packets!

Yes I do own Nintendo "stocks" in the form of NTDOY (They are called ADR or Pink Sheets. as the 'real' Nintendo stocks are on the Osaka exchange) . I use ETrade as my online broker which is a US based company.

So I guess another team was working on the Wii U version and porting the work the lead SKU team was doing as they went. They probably ran out of time to get everything over there. Shame.

Thanks for the info, sounds complicated, i would love even a single share and a certificate just to be a super geek :).

The Vita and PC had the same problem though, and the Wii U exclusive features will help it be Fifa 13, and besides how much different is Fifa 12 from Fifa 11, really.

Quite a bit. Play them back to back and you can tell easily, especially considering the huge departure in defending that 12 took.

Thanks for the info, sounds complicated, i would love even a single share and a certificate just to be a super geek :).

The launch pad for any clueless bastard on any subject you fancy!

Stock_investing_for_Dummies.jpg

There's a few free realistic stock market app and browser games about as well to help you get a grasp. Been meaning to have ago myself.

Yeah but I mean FIFA 13 Wii U being FIFA 12.5 is pretty wrong since the exclusive features the PS3 and 360 won't get.

I get you.

It could've been worse. I recall the first few 360 FIFA's didn't even have as many teams/leagues/stadia as PS2/GameCube/XBOX FIFA's.

So I'm confused too because if you look closely at the video you will notice the Gamepad is not in the same slot. In your screenshot it's in the left (or first) slot, in the video in the right (or second) slot. Sorry if I'm not clear. : / Just compare.

Edit: and also another difference, under the Gamepad icon, in your screen, there's a "classic" mention/tag while in my link it's not the case, there's nothing under the Gamepad icon.

I see the problem now...we're looking at different points in the same presentation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70g2taKNNg&feature=youtu.be&t=1m26s

Oh, and thanks for the tag mystery Mod :/

Banned
EatChildren.

Are you an 'insider', like Ideaman and BG ?.

P.S.

You're name disturbs me greatly, also why is your name Red ?.

Thanks for the Q and A ;).

I used to write for the Australian website PALGN. It was founded as a free, PAL focused alternative to IGN way back when IGN started charging for premium access to forums/website content. That website went to shit, and much of staff at the time (myself included) left to form Rocket Chainsaw earlier this year.

So yes, I have 'sources', but hearing things is mostly a case of doing stuff in this field. You naturally hear things from time to time, some true others not so much. It's a nice perk.

And my name is red because I'm a moderator.
He's being modest. His name is red from all the blood of the children he has eaten.

Hoodbury

Is anyone worried that there are going to be too many games at launch ?

I am big time lately. I've never wanted so many games at the same time and I just don't have that much gaming time these days. I have a 1.5 year old, 2 dogs, a wife, a full time job, a house, vball league, and a wicked CoD addiction.

I haven't played a Fifa game since 96, a Madden game since 95, a Need for Speed since the original, and now I want to get back into all these genre's I just haven't played in so long for some reason.

I know I'm going to get ACIII and CoD for sure. But I really want so many other games, but I just don't think I have the time since I play CoD multiplayer so much. I want to try Mass Effect since I've heard such good things. I want to try Scribblenauts since it seems so customizable and goofy. I want to play the new Need for Speed. Heh, to tell the truth there are so many games I want but actually none of the Nintendo games, no Mario or Pikman. For some reason I just have 0 interest in them.

To me, the launch list is pretty amazing and I just don't know what I'm going to do right now.

Banned
I am big time lately. I've never wanted so many games at the same time and I just don't have that much gaming time these days. I have a 1.5 year old, 2 dogs, a wife, a full time job, a house, vball league, and a wicked CoD addiction.

I haven't played a Fifa game since 96, a Madden game since 95, a Need for Speed since the original, and now I want to get back into all these genre's I just haven't played in so long for some reason.

I know I'm going to get ACIII and CoD for sure. But I really want so many other games, but I just don't think I have the time since I play CoD multiplayer so much. I want to try Mass Effect since I've heard such good things. I want to try Scribblenauts since it seems so customizable and goofy. I want to play the new Need for Speed. Heh, to tell the truth there are so many games I want but actually none of the Nintendo games, no Mario or Pikman. For some reason I just have 0 interest in them.

To me, the launch list is pretty amazing and I just don't know what I'm going to do right now.
Get A life loser. There's more to life than family and responsibility. Like video games. :p

Meelow

Banned
I'm actually a little worried too, I want most of the third party games announced at launch, I definitely won't get Wii Fit U, or Sing, or Just Dance 4 so I don't have to worry about them but I want Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, COD, etc to sale well on the Wii U to prove to some third party developers and haters that core games can sell on Wii U.

Edit: Mass Effect 3 Wii U details.

- Included is a new version of the “Genesis” interactive graphic novel by Dark Horse Comics
- Stylized recap has been extended to include the events of both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2
- Demo features a snippet from Shepard’s battle in a training ground for biotics
- Exclusive weapon: M-597 Ladon
- M-597 Ladon can target up to six enemies simultaneously
- Enemies are marked in red on the HUD
- After targeting, it unleashes a barrage of devastating homing rockets once you pull the right trigger
- Can pause Mass Effect 3 to drag and drop icons from the weapon wheel
- The wheel encompasses all of the abilities you and your two squad mates can activate during battle into a customizable set of eight hotkeys
- Four hotkeys are on each side of the touchscreen
- If you want to have Garrus send out a concussive shot, you just target an enemy and tap the appropriate icon as you play
- Map is included on the GamePad
- Enlarge or shift the map by dragging your fingers across it
- Once again, includes the Extended Cut DLC and multiplayer suite

http://nintendoeverything.com/95502/mass-effect-3-wii-u-details/

Drago

I just thought about this... what are the chances that I'll be able to transfer stuff from two Wiis to one WiiU?

I have a Red one with all my game save data and a few VC games and my old White one that can't play games that has about 20 VC/WiiWare games. I'd really like to be able to transfer both but I feel that I would need to send everything in to do that :(

Nobody? :(

Banned
I just thought about this... what are the chances that I'll be able to transfer stuff from two Wiis to one WiiU?

I have a Red one with all my game save data and a few VC games and my old White one that can't play games that has about 20 VC/WiiWare games. I'd really like to be able to transfer both but I feel that I would need to send everything in to do that :(
You want to be able to transfer data from two Wii consoles to the Wii U. Nintendo....data transfer....requires online competency......

mj-laughing.gif

Well you can put your vc and wiiiware games from the white console onto an sd card and just plop that into the wii u whenever you want to play them but i you have actual game saves on that system i don't think that you'll be able to transfer those to the new console twice

Drago

Well you can put your vc and wiiiware games from the white console onto an sd card and just plop that into the wii u whenever you want to play them but i you have actual game saves on that system i don't think that you'll be able to transfer those to the new console twice

All of my game saves are on the Red Wii, along with 3 SNES titles. White Wii has some game saves and around 20 VC/WiiWare titles. I put all of my White Wii games on an SD card but you can't boot that up on another Wii, so I doubt I could boot them up on a WiiU.

I want to be able to put the save data from one and the VC data from another... I'll send it in if I have to but I really don't want to :/

I also hacked my White Wii to have a VC channel for EarthBound (I have the original game and it looks much better through the VC emulator than the SNES itself) so... I don't even know if that Wii will transfer period :p

The only thing my White Wii has over the Red one is VC titles and Miis

Pineconn

You can almost certainly use a Homebrew program to transfer games and data, but I can't say 100%. My only Homebrew experience was using an app to backup my MW3 save data just in case it would corrupt again... and then Treyarch fixed the glitch and I deleted Homebrew. (Interesting story, not.)

Meelow

Banned
A new Pachter statement

If they stay at $50 for a game, I think they [Nintendo] are making a mistake. It would signal to the public that the Wii U is of lower quality than the other consoles. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/pachter-nintendo-should-charge-60-for-wii-u-games/#comment-18859

I do see his point but I can also see if the Wii U games where $50 than they would also sell the best, even though it's pretty much a fact it will be $60.

Kacho

There is no way we'll see multiplatform games released on the Wii U for $10 less. No way in hell that happens.

Terrell

Link -

I kinda focused on the "so much porting work to do" portion of that quote. One should wonder just how much that entails.

Another example of shoddy port work would be Gun, right off the top of my head, just so that's not all pinned entirely on EA.

You want to be able to transfer data from two Wii consoles to the Wii U. Nintendo....data transfer....requires online competency......

Ummm... 3DS ring a bell?

Ryoku

Multiplatforms will not be $50.00. As a result, neither will first party games be $50.00, otherwise Nintendo would be competing against multiplatform titles in a fierce manner.

Meelow

Banned
Multiplatforms will not be $50.00. As a result, neither will first party games be $50.00, otherwise Nintendo would be competing against multiplatform titles in a fierce manner.

Of course, Wii U games will be $60, that's a fact already...I'm not going to lie though it would be awesome if next gen multiplats went to $50, the awesomeness it could be.

A new Pachter statement

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/pachter-nintendo-should-charge-60-for-wii-u-games/#comment-18859

I do see his point but I can also see if the Wii U games where $50 than they would also sell the best, even though it's pretty much a fact it will be $60.

I do not agree with this statement. While i do think it'll be wrong if nintendo priced their games at 50$, it's because it will anger third parties, As a consumer buying a game, i couldn't care less. Cheaper is cheaper. And as long as it has the same title as it's ps4/720 equivalent then i can just assume that it will be the same game experience. And besides with that logic F2P games and cheap 5$ app store games would be a failure. And in most cases those games actually are of less quality than what you would find on a traditional console

Jarsonot

You don't need multitouch to drag. Lots of DS games support dragging.

You'll be able to pan around or zoom by dragging your fingerS across the screen.

I can see dragging a finger would pan around, but then how do you zoom? Like I said, there are workarounds, maybe a toggle to switch between the two, but the way it reads (to me) sounds like multitouch. Know what I mean?

Edit: or there could be a vertical +/- zoom bar you could drag up and down. I realize it's entirely possible, and upon reflection I nitpicking. It just sounded funny when I first read it and made me question the source.

Nintendo allows multiple accounts per console. I would imagine that they would require you to have a fresh account per Wii (which is "Nintendo dumb"), but digital downloads are reportedly linked to the account, not the console, so I foresee it as being fairly possible.

Of course, Wii U games will be $60, that's a fact already...I'm not going to lie though it would be awesome if next gen multiplats went to $50, the awesomeness it could be.

WHY IS THIS ENTIRE INDUSTRY ACTIVELY TRYING TO PRICE ITSELF OUT OF ITS OWN MARKET????????

*ahem*

Sorry.

I'll just down downstairs and check on how my bacon pie is coming along now…

ugoo18

Yeah, great they mentioned that. It might push me over the edge on the game.

Looks like they've done great on FIFA. Shame about the idiot doing the presentation. "Casual" this, "The casual Wii U demographic" blah blah. At first I wasn't quite sure if the game was going to be the normal game with added Wii U stuff or a dumbed down version.

Shame about all the other titles like MoH not getting a Wii U version :(

Unless something has recently changed MOH was confirmed at GDC for the WiiU

deviljho

Aren't Wii U games priced on a small sliding scale based on publisher?

Also, with all due respect to Fifa and Madden - I'm going to wait for next year's version of each to give the touchscreen features time to grow. I'm only saying this, because it never made sense to me to buy every yearly iteration of these games, and I don't want to feel compelled to buy new versions with better touchscreen features next year. That's the point of the Wii U, right?

I know someone could say, "well, with that logic you could wait forever," but no. I'm just waiting until next year. I'm not buying Madden every year, EA.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
on the other hand, i'll be a lot more selective about my purchasing habits in the future when it comes to first-day releases.

Once again, PC triumphs. GreenManGaming sales have been a boon.

DjRoomba

Banned
boo hoo americans. $60 must be soo rough on the pockets. Try living here and I think pretty much anywhere else. But I guess that will jack up our prices too unfairly

boo hoo americans. $60 must be soo rough on the pockets. Try living pretty much anywhere else. But I guess that will jack up our prices too unfairly

For generations, we have had the luxury of laughing at you other countries. Now, on the eve when we find that it is too late even for us, do we learn that it was never a laughing matter at all…

Ha ha, your prices are going triple digits next gen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom