• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they will. And because it's a third game in a trilogy, and coming out 9 months after the original release, it won't even sell 500k and it will be deemed a flop on the Wii U . EA reads this as "I guess RPG's don't do well on Nintendo platforms. No BioWare games for Nintendo, we won't make money off of it."

probably cost little to port, bioware would probably be thrilled with 500k.

deviljho

probably cost little to port, bioware would probably be thrilled with 500k.

Didn't Ubisoft say their ports cost about 1 million pounds? Wouldn't this be similar?

What I don't understand is this "costs little to port" argument would actually strengthen the idea that NEW games would benefit from porting to the Wii U. If it costs so little, they might as well port all the games instead of using a "wait and see" approach like all the big publishers have said.

Bioshock Infinite? Borderlands 2? Sleeping Dogs? Tomb Raider? WWE 13? Hitman? Far Cry? Crysis? Port that shit. Don't need to sell that many copies if it's that cheap to port and distribute.

AzaK

Didn't Ubisoft say their ports cost about 1 million pounds? Wouldn't this be similar?

What I don't understand is this "costs little to port" argument would actually strengthen the idea that NEW games would benefit from porting to the Wii U. If it costs so little, they might as well port all the games instead of using a "wait and see" approach like all the big publishers have said.

Bioshock Infinite? Borderlands 2? Sleeping Dogs? Tomb Raider? WWE 13? Hitman? Far Cry? Crysis? Port that shit. Don't need to sell that many copies if it's that cheap to port and distribute.

Well, it's probably because they think that Wii U will be a Wii again. That is, a console that's basically casually focussed and therefore not much audience for their games. If they're only going to make a little more than it costs to port, why bother? It's better to have that team working on the "next big thing".

Sadist

Well, it's probably because they think that Wii U will be a Wii again. That is, a console that's basically casually focussed and therefore not much audience for their games. If they're only going to make a little more than it costs to port, why bother? It's better to have that team working on the "next big thing".
You think they will let a whole team port the game? Last time we heard, the Darksiders II Wii U team consisted of four dudes. Aliens CM is partly outsouced.

The Wii U at this point receives a few games which in fact are tests. Better tests compared to the Wii ones if I might add.

Sheroking

Does it not occur to anyone that those developers are understaffed, in crunch time working ridiculous hours to hit an arbitrary deadline for the platforms they were originally intended for? This industry is fucked up in more than one direction; money isn't the only resource that's hard to spare.

When it comes to stuff like WWE or Need for Speed or whatever, I don't see any reason to doubt they'll be on the Wii U. Just maybe next iteration, because the teams and budgets are set, and it's not a big enough priority to contract out.

The_Lump

Banned
Just got back from the Atlanta WiiU Experience. Had a fun time, most everybody seemed to have a blast.

Nice post and thanks for the insights. I'm getting seriously hyped for this thing now. I have family coming over for Christmas so having this thing and 5 of us in the house is going to be great fun by the sounds of it.

The_Lump

Banned
Which is why it always pisses me off to see people shit on the man when he says something they don't like.

He's an eccentric! Brutally honest to the point of pissing off those most likely to buy his wares. And does not get the outrage. He speaks from how he sees it. He doesn't see a huge graphical leap coming. At least not a visually perceivable one, but that doesn't seem to bother him.

He was excited about the prospect of having 2 gigs of RAM to fill just a few years ago, but also realistic that some won't be able to budget for it accordingly. Worried about his colleagues but still excited at the prospect.

And now we're talking about systems with 3-4x that capacity.

I love the guy. Respect what he's done for gaming, and get a kick out his other publicized eccentricities. Fuck the haters!

Agreed on all counts. I was about to type a very similar reply to this, but you've pretty much covered it. You are a wise and ginger primate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Some more hours and ... holidays !!! :p

Is the WiiU kit that bad you had to take time off for stress ;-)

When it comes to stuff like WWE or Need for Speed or whatever, I don't see any reason to doubt they'll be on the Wii U. Just maybe next iteration, because the teams and budgets are set, and it's not a big enough priority to contract out.

What I think back to is what Ubi said about it costing 1 million to port a game to wii u, so even if it sells poorly it's still almost a no-brainer to port and make some kind of profit.

Yes I do own Nintendo "stocks" in the form of NTDOY (They are called ADR or Pink Sheets. as the 'real' Nintendo stocks are on the Osaka exchange) . I use ETrade as my online broker which is a US based company.

Now I see why you've been flipping tables since E3.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
looking at the recent ME3 gamepad controls revealed, I'm really disappointed by the actual third party fear in supporting the console.
Even in very simple and obvious gamepad integrations into old games not studied specifically for the Wii U I can see very useful, interesting and not gimmick features that could be applied to a lot of the classic third party "core" standard experiences.

I think that they could have the opportunity to adapt a lot of their developments in an easy way creating without big efforts or strange thoughts on this "misterious casual nintendo market" very interesting experiences, but they are not committed

it's a shame!

specifically about EA: why ME3, and not for example Medal of honor/army of two/dead space, that will be out in a "meaningful" time window together with the new console?

why spending time in bringing a very core title 1 year old to the console (and not an easy one also in terms of porting, let's say) and avoid trying to offer in a contemporary momenti together with the PS360 versions other suitable (and probabl easier in terms of development) games as the ones mentioned?

it seems really a weird marketing decision, to me...(but also about NfS I see no reason to not get it to the Wii U..it was also on the Wii, you can easily port the PS360 engine to the console, the gamepad as very linear integrations to be easily adapted...)

2K's Christoph Hartmann on WiiU

Q: Randy Pitchford has said some positive things about the Wii U. What are your feelings about Nintendo's new hardware?

Christoph Hartmann: In general, we at 2K are always going to be positive about new hardware out there, but we are also cautious about things we aren't experienced with. We don't want to flood the market; we'd rather pick our opportunity and work well on our projects. About the Wii U itself, Nintendo is such an impressive company, they have over and over again put handheld and consoles out that are impressive. They have so much experience that I am sure they are going to do it again. With any new console, especially where something original is added, it will take time for consumers to understand it and see the beauty of it. I know that they have such clever people at Nintendo that people will see the beauty of the console, though it may take some time.

Q: So would you say that 2K is taking a more cautious approach to the new console? It seems to be the opposite of Ubisoft, who are very gung-ho about the Wii U launch. How does it fit for 2K?

Christoph Hartmann: It is not different from what we have always done. We are very careful and very selective here. When you look at the Wii, we didn't do many titles, but we put out Carnival Games, which did very well. It was probably one of the best titles. While you can't plan for it all the time, we don't throw 10 things against the wall and assume that two stick. I throw two at the wall and hope two stick, perhaps one. We have a very different approach, which has a lot to do with the size of the organization and the mindset of the organization. We always focus on one thing, and we are a very different organization than a lot of the other publishers out there.
~ GI Biz

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nice post and thanks for the insights. I'm getting seriously hyped for this thing now. I have family coming over for Christmas so having this thing and 5 of us in the house is going to be great fun by the sounds of it.

Oh yes, in fact it's probably going to be the best feature at launch. NSMBWiiU, Rayman Legends, and Nintendoland will lead to amazing local 5-player experiences, and I'm sure SiNG and Just Dance 4 will as well (for the music/dancing fans). Also, games like the EA Sports titles, Pikimin 3, ZombiU, and Game & Wario should offer some very unique and interesting multiplayer for 2-5 players. Like I said, WiiU will be the king of local multiplayer.

Earendil

True, but at only a million Euros to port the game, they would only have to sell ~60k copies to break even. Everything after that is gravy.

Not sure if this has been discussed or not... Considering that the WiiU gamepad has a built-in mic, what are the chances of getting the same voice command options in Madden and Mass Effect that are available on 360 w/ Kinect?

Not sure if this has been discussed or not... Considering that the WiiU gamepad has a built-in mic, what are the chances of getting the same voice command options in Madden and Mass Effect that are available on 360 w/ Kinect?

Might be nice as an option, but better than touch screen? Perhaps not.

My thoughts exactly, there's so much possibility... but probably won't see it. that is, unless this year's sells well and they decide next years can afford more bells and whistles.

Meelow

Banned
This thread is a train wreck: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485205&page=3

This is the type of stuff that gives Nintendo fans a bad name and honestly it isn't fair because there's only a few bad apples that are at this level (plenty of Nintendo fans in the thread are disagreeing with marc^o^). It is just an embarrassing read.

I'm not going through it but what's happening in that thread exactly that's making people mad?.

Daknight

Well Fifa will have some voice-commands, so Madden MIGHT get some of those same commands. For Mass Effect I doubt it, but is possible, now if they do it is another thing. This is something that could have been done in 360 before Kinect since they had microphone adapter. This leads me to believe Microsoft is asking for this kind of features to tout Kinect in this games and nothing more. DS had microphone and only a handful of game use voice commands, most developers probably don't care about voice command from there lack of support for voice command in most games, even though there was a way to incorporate voice command.

Whoooooaaa, what's the beef exactly? Calling it a tablet, a game pad; it is what it is so why get so drawn into an argument over a word? Shit on me man... you'd fight over whose fart smelt the best in here!!

Meelow

Banned
Read it when you have some time, only a few pages.

So I just went through it, I don't understand why people are mad, was it because of the Tablet comment or it will sell more than the Wii?, that's a stupid fight.

P.S totally off topic but with all the support Ubisoft is giving they better bring Blacklist and Watch Dogs to Wii U.

So I just went through it, I don't understand why people are mad, was it because of the Tablet comment or it will sale more than the Wii?, that's a stupid fight.

P.S totally off topic but with all the support Ubisoft is giving they better bring Blacklist and Watch Dogs to Wii U.

I have a hard time calling Blacklist a game based off that demo they showed at E3, no thanks.

Hoodbury

So I just went through it, I don't understand why people are mad, was it because of the Tablet comment or it will sale more than the Wii?, that's a stupid fight.

And Farcry 3. Oh, and it's 'sell' not 'sale'. :p sorry that bugged me for some reason.

Hoodbury

As some of us assumed, no Bioshock plans for Wii-U at this time:
http://www.clickonline.com/games/update-bioshock-on-the-wii-u/12218/

Wishful thinking...
The internet was set ablaze yesterday by reports that BioShock Infinite would be making its way to Wii-U, although it would be after the release on the known formats of PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. Unfortunately we got our wires crossed at that time and as it currently stands, there are no plans to bring the game to the Wii-U. A statement was misinterpreted, which made it sound as though work was going to begin on BioShock Infinite for the Wii-U at a later date. For now, a Wii-U version of BioShock Infinite is wishful thinking. Whether Take Two Interactive and Irrational Games will reconsider their stances on the Wii-U and versions of certain titles for the platform remains yet to be seen. We apologise for raising the hopes of those who were delighted upon hearing the news, but if it’s any consolation I have been denied playtime of BioShock Infinite until it is released on Wii-U. Sad times indeed!

So, as it stands, BioShock Infinite will be released on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on February 26th. The game will be set in 1912 on the floating air-city of Columbia. The player will assume the role of Booker DeWitt who is sent to the city to find a woman by the name of Elizabeth, who has been held captive there for the last twelve years. What DeWitt doesn’t know is that Elizabeth is central to a conflict that has been ongoing between warring factions. Like previous entries in the BioShock franchise, BioShock Infinite sees players utilising weaponry alongside psychokinetic powers granted through "vigors" and "nostrums". A 1999 mode will be included, which ensures that decisions made by the player will have a more permanent impact on the game.

BioShock Infinite has already garnered plenty of attention and adoration since its official announcement. The game was on show at E3 2011 and won "Best of Show" award from the Game Critics Awards, along with "Best Original Game", "Best Action/Adventure Game", and "Best PC Game". The title was initially scheduled for an October 2012 release, but was pushed back until February 26th 2013.

DynamicG

This is why I pretty much stay in here. Every other Nintendo thread is a ban waiting to happen.

This thread seems to be where the more reasonable Nintendo discussion resides. I think all the spec talk drove off the more volatile Nintendo die-hards. That or they got banned before e3.

Non-Community Nintendo threads seem to be a "ban waiting to happen" if you take an aggressively hyperbolic stance in them. I love Nintendo, but part of loving that company is knowing that they do some out there kind of stuff and that they are fallible. You have to go into discussions with the idea that you could be wrong on some level. Some folks come across as console evangelists even if they don't' want to. I think console fanboys are easily bait-able in most circumstances, but the Nintendo flavor have been easier pickins lately.

The other issues with that thread for me are A) it's a PR comment, I don't put much stock in it B) The system isn't out yet, so nobody knows which elements will be most significant in the long run. To me there isn't much to say in response to that Ubisoft comment outside of "cool, I guess we'll see what happens after launch."

That thread in general is like a remix of all the terrible Nintendo-based discussions I've read on gaf.

Chaplain

As some of us assumed, no Bioshock plans for Wii-U at this time:
http://www.clickonline.com/games/update-bioshock-on-the-wii-u/12218/

Wishful thinking...
The internet was set ablaze yesterday by reports that BioShock Infinite would be making its way to Wii-U, although it would be after the release on the known formats of PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. Unfortunately we got our wires crossed at that time and as it currently stands, there are no plans to bring the game to the Wii-U. A statement was misinterpreted, which made it sound as though work was going to begin on BioShock Infinite for the Wii-U at a later date. For now, a Wii-U version of BioShock Infinite is wishful thinking. Whether Take Two Interactive and Irrational Games will reconsider their stances on the Wii-U and versions of certain titles for the platform remains yet to be seen. We apologise for raising the hopes of those who were delighted upon hearing the news, but if it’s any consolation I have been denied playtime of BioShock Infinite until it is released on Wii-U. Sad times indeed!

So, as it stands, BioShock Infinite will be released on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on February 26th. The game will be set in 1912 on the floating air-city of Columbia. The player will assume the role of Booker DeWitt who is sent to the city to find a woman by the name of Elizabeth, who has been held captive there for the last twelve years. What DeWitt doesn’t know is that Elizabeth is central to a conflict that has been ongoing between warring factions. Like previous entries in the BioShock franchise, BioShock Infinite sees players utilising weaponry alongside psychokinetic powers granted through "vigors" and "nostrums". A 1999 mode will be included, which ensures that decisions made by the player will have a more permanent impact on the game.

BioShock Infinite has already garnered plenty of attention and adoration since its official announcement. The game was on show at E3 2011 and won "Best of Show" award from the Game Critics Awards, along with "Best Original Game", "Best Action/Adventure Game", and "Best PC Game". The title was initially scheduled for an October 2012 release, but was pushed back until February 26th 2013.

Knowing Nintendo, they would want to announce this themselves, because of how big an announcement this would be for them.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Has this been posted? The Wii U version of Madden won't be running on the Infinity engine - unlike other versions.

Don’t you think Nintendo consumers are going to be frustrated by getting an inferior version of “Madden” again? The Infinity Engine is what defines “Madden 13,” yet it’s nowhere to be seen on the Wii U.

“It’s not for a lack of want. We definitely wanted to get the physics into the game. The Infinity Engine is something that is a point of interest for “Madden” fans, it’s just something we weren’t able to achieve for this first year on the new hardware. A lot of times, new hardware comes with new challenges. But we were able to add things to “Madden” on a lot of different levels, like being able to draw your own hot routes and being able to change your plays on the fly and create your own plays, giving you the ability to do whatever you want to do pre-play. Play-calling is another area that could be underestimated at face value. You have your playbook fully exposed to you. You don’t have to dig through menus and dig back out of menus to find the perfect play. There’s a lot of searching around, I think, on the other consoles. Just the way it’s laid out enables you to access everything very quickly. Then, of course, you’re able to utilize substitutions and packages, making changes very simply and very intuitively by just tapping and swiping the screen.”

More about the Wii U version at the link...
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/1471?

Earendil

This thread seems to be where the more reasonable Nintendo discussion resides. I think all the spec talk drove off the more volatile Nintendo die-hards. That or they got banned before e3.

Non-Community Nintendo threads seem to be a "ban waiting to happen" if you take an aggressively hyperbolic stance in them. I love Nintendo, but part of loving that company is knowing that they do some out there kind of stuff and that they are fallible. You have to go into discussions with the idea that you could be wrong on some level. Some folks come across as console evangelists even if they don't' want to. I think console fanboys are easily bait-able in most circumstances, but the Nintendo flavor have been easier pickins lately.

The other issues with that thread for me are A) it's a PR comment, I don't put much stock in it B) The system isn't out yet, so nobody knows which elements will be most significant in the long run. To me there isn't much to say in response to that Ubisoft comment outside of "cool, I guess we'll see what happens after launch."

That thread in general is like a remix of all the terrible Nintendo-based discussions I've read on gaf.

I'm certainly not in the camp that believes they can do no wrong. I have no problem admitting when they screw up, in fact I still think the name is a mistake. But I have a hard time reading comments from people who believe they can do no right. I find it best to stay away from threads like that so I don't feel inclined to respond to those types of comments.

The internet would be a much better place if everyone realized the world is not black and white and that it's ok to have a different point of view. But instead, people have this attitude that if something doesn't align with their world view, it's wrong and should be ridiculed/destroyed.

tldr; Can't we all just get along.

jerd

You would think such superior hardware would be able to handle it no problem.

I could be mistaken but isn't it pretty common for launch titles to be lacking some features of the previous gens iterations? I doubt the hardware capabilities are the problem honestly.

Van Owen

Banned
I could be mistaken but isn't it pretty common for launch titles to be lacking some features of the previous gens iterations? I doubt the hardware capabilities are the problem honestly.

Lacking features, maybe. Unable to run a previous gen engine? Eh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom