• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think such superior hardware would be able to handle it no problem.

I could have sworn we've all been over this a hundred times.

The WiiU isn't technically "superior". In a few ways it can definitely be considered inferior. Being a lower clocked OoOE CPU most likely means what it gains in efficiency and ease of use it loses in pure floppage. This is going to complicate porting engines designed under a different paradigm.

The more we learn about the system the more it seems Nintendo designed this as a"Durango-lite" system more than a 360+.

brainpann

TagTeam.gif

Van Owen and specialguy. LET"S DO THIS THING!

It does add credence to the wii u having a cpu deficit rumors.

too be fair it also sounds like they probably can get it running eventually, just not this year.

You dont need physics to make a Mario game.

Or more specifically, you can't run you're unoptimized code designed for an entirely different form of CPU on something that has none of the capability. Similar issue to porting PS2 code to an Xbox. That Pentium3 is going to choke because the system was designed to be GPU dependent. No matter how much more theoretical power that Pentium 3 has, it has none of the bandwidth. Because it wasn't designed under the same constraints.

I really wouldn't mind knowing the design principles and specifications of the WiiU. That would tell me whether or not the system was designed under a more modern paradigm or not.

If the GPU is designed as the physics cruncher this might be moot. If it wasn't? Then the WiiU isn't just badly designed by modern standards, but even by last gen design practices.

The_Lump

Banned
Fair enough, also remember i never called it casual either, i said out of all the games Nintendo showed at E3 i would put it more into the casual / core pile rather than casual or core.

I see. Well as others and yourself have said - they're both terms which are open for interpretation. I don't think 'hardcore' holds any real meaning in gaming anymore tbh. There are games which reward dedicated players, and games which reward occasional play. And there are some which reward both. All of these can have themes ranging from cartoon marshmellow bunnies to rage-filled murder-fests, and all that lies inbetween.

And to pull it back on topic....WiiU seems to have a great spread across genres/play types at launch :p

JordanN

Banned

too be fair it also sounds like they probably can get it running eventually, just not this year.
Pretty sure that's fake.

The whole weak CPU was born out of Wii U taunting so I'm not sure why people bother to take it serious.

I applaud your effort in becoming a Y-KNOW-WAT!

The only thing preventing EA from porting the whole engine to Wii U is their shitty 1 year per game cycle, wich is NOT ENOUGH to port the whole game.

Theres your problem and not the CPU performance.

ReggieFils-Aime.jpg

In all seriousness, are we really debating whether or not Wii U can run a Madden engine? Seriously? The fuck, man?.....
Im pretty sure WiiU can run it, They just didnt put it on it. And the engine is not really that much of a engine than a game play alternater. A engine is euphoria that backbreaker uses. The madden "xfinity" engine is half-assed itself. More like a prototype or experiment for next gen madden.

Or more specifically, you can't run you're unoptimized code designed for an entirely different form of CPU on something that has none of the capability. Similar issue to porting PS2 code to an Xbox. That Pentium3 is going to choke because the system was designed to be GPU dependent. No matter how much more theoretical power that Pentium 3 has, it has none of the bandwidth. Because it wasn't designed under the same constraints.

I really wouldn't mind knowing the design principles and specifications of the WiiU. That would tell me whether or not the system was designed under a more modern paradigm or not.

If the GPU is designed as the physics cruncher this might be moot. If it wasn't? Then the WiiU isn't just badly designed by modern standards, but even by last gen design practices.

Completely amazing we still dont know the specific details of Wii U hardware 3.5 months til launch.

I hope this isn't the case for Durango/Orbis. That's insane.

BD1

Banned
Well, I will be skipping FIFA and Madden this year. I understand that they probably did not have enough time or resources to get the new engines up and running on new hardware, but that's their problem, not mine.

I'll think about the 2014 versions.

JordanN

Banned
ReggieFils-Aime.jpg

In all seriousness, are we really debating whether or not Wii U can run a Madden engine? Seriously? The fuck, man?.....
What's even worse is people are using football as a benchmark for graphics.

I mean, it's like people forgot Pikmin 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 are on the Wii U and are most likely doing way more work than Madden ever will.

EDlaa.jpg

bQvrK.jpg

Oh noes, Wii U cpu is horribly weak! All those objects on screen wouldn't even qualify for 360 level.

What's even worse is people are using football as a benchmark for graphics.

I mean, it's like people forgot Pikmin 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 are on the Wii U and are most likely doing way more work than Madden ever will.

EDlaa.jpg

bQvrK.jpg

Oh noes, Wii U cpu is horribly weak! All those objects on screen wouldn't even qualify for 360 level.

This.

But man... dat apple...

Redford

aka Cabbie
This thread seems to be where the more reasonable Nintendo discussion resides. I think all the spec talk drove off the more volatile Nintendo die-hards. That or they got banned before e3.

Non-Community Nintendo threads seem to be a "ban waiting to happen" if you take an aggressively hyperbolic stance in them. I love Nintendo, but part of loving that company is knowing that they do some out there kind of stuff and that they are fallible. You have to go into discussions with the idea that you could be wrong on some level. Some folks come across as console evangelists even if they don't' want to. I think console fanboys are easily bait-able in most circumstances, but the Nintendo flavor have been easier pickins lately.

Wise words.

Completely amazing we still dont know the specific details of Wii U hardware 3.5 months til launch.

I'd argue we already know more about those two systems.

We haven't gotten a single page of target specifications for the WiiU.

Bumhead

Banned
Must admit, I've not been following the Wii U much since E3, after convincing myself I didn't need the system at launch, but I'm slowly rebuilding that hype again.

Are we any closer to finding out launch information such as price and/or dates? Are there any Wii U specific Nintendo Direct's due, or any strong hints and rumours about what the launch plans will be?

I figure being August we should be close to some sort of reveal?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

I'd argue we already know more about those two systems.

We haven't gotten a single page of target specifications for the WiiU.
It's also very strange that we got more hardware info at E3 2011 than this year, not counting MoSys' announcement that Wii U will not incorporate 1T-SRAM memory. Last year we got some statements from both AMD and IBM, but this year all we got was this lousy hardware fact sheet.

It shall be very interesting to see exactly what the console houses once someone opens it up. I'm thinking about doing a thorough investigation if I only can get enough money for it.

I'm pretty sure this was already discussed by EA months ago, that they would use a different engine that would take advantage of the Wii U's "Next-gen" features... I remember because it was a big deal that EA called the system "next gen" at a time when many people were talking about it not being as powerful as PS360... I can't find a link to the article though and IGN is blocked on my work computer.

Yep, I've seen a lot of footage but everything I see it again it makes me want :D

Could potentially look better by launch too. Although probably nothing drastic.

I wasn´ t too keen on Pikmin to be honest, because i couldn´t find where to go very often so Days would pass and i got nothing done. The map on the pad could help with it. So i may give Pikmin 3 a shot.

That it looks this pretty is a welcomed bonus :)

Drago

Anyone else preorder some WiiU games from NewEgg?

I got Sonic Racing Transformed for $30, Rayman for $40, and ZombiU and AC3 for $50 each. And there's still more games I want for launch x_x

The_Lump

Banned
I wasn´ to keen on Pikmin to be honest, because i couldn´t find where to go very often so Days would pass and i got nothing done. The map on the pad could help with it. So i may give Pikmin 3 a shot.

That it looks this pretty is a welcomed bonus :)

I ecxpect most of the 'polishing' in the last few/next few months will be on getting the gamepad features incorporated better. From what I've read, the wiimote/gamepad combo is awesome, but gamepad only control is a little uninspired by Nintendo (and Miyamoto's) standards.

jmizzal

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/1471?

Dont know if this has been posted

"How many people can play the game at once?

You can actually play up to five players at a time with the Wii U. We’ll be supporting the game pad, the Wii remote and nunchuk, and we’ll also be supporting the pro controller."

Madden WiiU will have Wiimote nunchuck support, thats really big since a lot of people thought 3rd parties will flat out drop support on WiiU.

I hope FPS will follow suit, def COD: BO 2, there is noway im playing online with dual analog, I can play offline with it not online.

RedSwirl

The Madden thing is probably just a matter of EA working with new hardware in the amount of time that they had. I wouldn't be surprised if they had less time to work on the Wii U version than the other two.

I'm not even sure if that'll affect my decision to play any version at all. I don't think I've even played a Madden since 2007 on the Wii, nevermind never having bought one since 94 on the SNES. I haven't so much as touched a current gen Madden.

Madden WiiU will have Wiimote nunchuck support, thats really big since a lot of people thought 3rd parties will flat out drop support on WiiU.
Why would third parties drop support for the Nunchuck? It's not like a Pro controller will be packed in the system, the system will most likely come with a Gamepad, a Wii Remote+, and a Nunchuck.

andthebeatgoeson

They never said the Wii U can't run the engine. Don't read into it something that's not there. More likely it is a half assed port.

I guess I should be okay with it getting a port. Between people not liking Nintendo, people sticking with previous gen hardware, etc, it wasn't going to make a big deal. It would have been nice to see a few more pubs make a bigger effort. Either way, getting ME3, although old, shows more effort than last gen. I guess it just shows they are not completely convinced it will sell well.

This is only just a test...

Mb5vl.gif

They should put these as labels on select Wii U games.

Meelow

Banned
Actually, he did say they were unable to get it running this year.

I'm guessing he meant they didn't have time, they said the same thing about FIFA 13 Wii U and that was they didn't have time to implement some features, do people forget the first EA sport games on the Xbox 360?, it has nothing to do with power.

Sadist

Okay, did you guys see the Mass Effect 3 Wii U thread? It confirms offscreen play.

Now I don't care for ME 3, but seeing the feature in action makes me giddy about it.

I just looked in the new Argos catalogue (every home in the UK has one, sort of like how every hotel in America has a Bible) and the Wii U is in there!!

It states: "Stunning six-inch HD touch screen" & "Use your existing Wii Remote"

Drago

Okay, did you guys see the Mass Effect 3 Wii U thread? It confirms offscreen play.

Now I don't care for ME 3, but seeing the feature in action makes me giddy about it.
Are ME3 and (I think) NSMBu the only ones confirmed to do this so far?

MDX

I'm guessing he meant they didn't have time, they said the same thing about FIFA 13 Wii U and that was they didn't have time to implement some features, do people forget the first EA sport games on the Xbox 360?, it has nothing to do with power.

Of course it has nothing to do with power. There is the issue of launching on time: EA wants to create a presence on the WiiU as UBISOFT is currently dominating it. As well as having something to get WiiU owners to buy the new and improved version next year.

The Infinity Engine is something that is a point of interest for “Madden” fans, it’s just something we weren’t able to achieve for this first year on the new hardware.
Madden Ultimate Team is something that we’re not going to have in year one. It’s another one that we plan to add in as we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom