• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

Anyone else preorder some WiiU games from NewEgg?

I got Sonic Racing Transformed for $30, Rayman for $40, and ZombiU and AC3 for $50 each. And there's still more games I want for launch x_x

Does Newegg honor early pre-order prices like Amazon?

Meelow

Banned
Of course it has nothing to do with power. There is the issue of launching on time: EA wants to create a presence on the WiiU as UBISOFT is currently dominating it. As well as having something to get WiiU owners to buy the new and improved version next year.

Exactly, the PS4 and Xbox 720 version of Madden 14 and FIFA 14 will also be half-assed while the Wii U version of them will be the best version and than Madden 15 and FIFA 15 will be good on the PS4 and Xbox 720 version...EA really needs to stop messing up launch console games lol.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Mario is a much more "play while poop" game because its not as complex ;)
I've seen more and more posts about this fascination with gaming while sitting on the toilet, and I find it nasty. Unless you have some special water closet equipped with a fan or suction nozzle, fecal matter will most likely spread in the air while doing your business, and that matter may end up on your Wii U GamePad. And that's unsanitary, at least to me. Sure, having the controller with you once or twice probably won't cause any problems, but if you make it a habit you may end up with a smelly, revolting piece of plastic that nobody wants to touch. Of course you can use disinfectant on the controller, but I doubt that's good for it, and liquid can easily get stuck in crevices and cause unpleasantness.

By all means should you utilize the functions of the Wii U GamePad, but I think you should limit it from visiting the crapper.

jmizzal

Why would third parties drop support for the Nunchuck? It's not like a Pro controller will be packed in the system, the system will most likely come with a Gamepad, a Wii Remote+, and a Nunchuck.

Thats what I been saying for the longest, but some people thought it would be dropped by 3rd parties, glad to see a game like Madden supporting Wiimote nunchuck

deviljho

Are ME3 and (I think) NSMBu the only ones confirmed to do this so far?

There was an interview with someone at Vigil who said it took them 5 minutes to get the game onto the gamepad. That's not confirmation, but I think the feature will be available for many games

Anth0ny

zoKFI.jpg

remember when nintendo knew how to advertise their product properly

jmizzal

There was an interview with someone at Vigil who said it took them 5 minutes to get the game onto the gamepad. That's not confirmation, but I think the feature will be available for many games

It looked very simple, so I expect most games to have it, only games like ZombieU which uses the Upad as a big part of the experience prob wont have it.

Also I dont see a big deal over Madden WiiU not have the new physics engine, what if the new engine sucks? What if Madden 13 360/PS3 game low reviews, Madden WiiU is using a engine that works so its not that big of a deal, i'm just happen for the Upad support, next year expect a lot more stuff added in

deviljho

YES! And there are some great gameboy ads floating around the internet. And by internet, i mean reddit.

Now the popular ads are all like "untz untz wub wub wub" not that there is anything wrong with 870 gazillion ads like that. Or 96.5% MOAR definitions of dubstep

Aguila

#ICONIC
So New Super Mario Bros. 2 is getting okayish reviews. I expect about the same for the Wii U game :/

Ughhh I can't wait for Nintendo's 3D Wii U Mario.

JoeInky

So New Super Mario Bros. 2 is getting okayish reviews. I expect about the same for the Wii U game :/

I wouldn't, NSMB2 was made by a B-team who took a crash course in making mario levels whilst the A-team is working on NSMBU. It definitely shows in the reusing of assets.

I think NSMB2 looks better than NSMBU anyway. I like the idea behind the coin rush mode, gives me a reason to actually continue playing past 100%.

Took this from a meh to a probable buy for me. Love this.

Yeah, this function along with all the other possibilities is going to make playing ME3 or Batman for that matter a very new experience. It's a good thing that after we get past the launch period, it will be all about the differences the Wii U brings and not just HD ports.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah guys, I'd like to remember the past. Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_06

Xbox 360 version

The Xbox 360 version had better graphics and an updated roster but lacked the features of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions. Players did have signature celebrations which were performed automatically such as Terrell Owens doing situps and Chad Johnson dancing. The player couldn't create any new players or edit attributes. The player could still trade and release players to free agency. The game still had franchise mode but it only had the NFL Draft and Free Agency portions in the off-season. The player could not change their franchise team unless they were fired as head coaches and the game's head coaches don't retire and if fired, go to other coaching positions. During games the player couldn't challenge plays or fumbles and there is a stoppage in play to introduce the player of the game and two-minute warning. Achievements were quite easy to earn for instance, getting a first down and entering the history book as well as activating a player card with the right stick were listed as achievements. The game engine of this game was retooled and later released as NCAA Football 07 and was the basis for the next two games on the next-gen console. The game also has an intro of Super Bowl XL, but as a rematch of Super Bowl XXXIX.[4]
[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_07

Xbox 360
Electronic Arts developed a new sports engine for the Xbox 360-version of FIFA 07. This meant not only improved graphics and better controls, but the physics and control were also improved. The game collects more data from the matches than previous version, and thus is able to give a "man of the match" award. The commentary in English is provided by Martin Tyler and Andy Gray and the commentary in Mexican Spanish is provided by Enrique Bermúdez and Ricardo Peláez.
Extra features include up-to-the-minute real-world game results via real-time, weekly podcasts and news ticker, detailed football stats, information and real-world news available in five languages. Via Xbox Liharacters. Finally, the Xbox 360 version will offer a mini-game while the game loads, dropping the player in a one on one face off against the goalkeeper on a practice pitch. There is also very limited leagues on the Xbox 360 compared to the other consoles.[3]
EA cut all but seven leagues from the Xbox 360 version of the game - one of which contained only one team (Juventus). According to producer Jean-Charles Gaudechon, this is because the new game engine took so long to develop that EA was not able to implement everything.[4]

And we all saw EA supporting in such an horrible way 360...it's simple: being at launch costs resources and means being ready in less time than the other versions. So, especially if you have something different, the teams will have priorities. On 360, they prioritized the engine, while on Wii U the gamepad. It's just EA being EA with everyone at launch.

The_Lump

Banned

Yep. GC sold like hot cakes. Wii on the other hand, with its dreadfully cheesy advertising, sold abysmally. :p

But yeah, I miss the GC marketing. Loved everything about that little box :(

Ah guys, I'd like to remember the past. Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_06

Xbox 360 version

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_07

And we all saw EA supporting in such an horrible way 360...it's simple: being at launch costs resources and means being ready in less time than the other versions. So, especially if you have something different, the teams will have priorities. On 360, they prioritized the engine, while on Wii U the gamepad. It's just EA being EA with everyone at launch.

This is essentially what I was saying yesterday.

Thanks for putting it together in a more compelling fashion.

Drago

Does Newegg honor early pre-order prices like Amazon?
I would assume so... I doubt that they would create new page entries for games they already have listed. They honor all preorders no matter when they were made or what price they were preordered at

Sadist

Wii U versions of FIFA and Madden reminded me of the first 360 sports titles as well. Messageboards tend to have a more rosier version of the past regarding launches in general.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/1471?

Dont know if this has been posted

"How many people can play the game at once?

You can actually play up to five players at a time with the Wii U. We’ll be supporting the game pad, the Wii remote and nunchuk, and we’ll also be supporting the pro controller."

Madden WiiU will have Wiimote nunchuck support, thats really big since a lot of people thought 3rd parties will flat out drop support on WiiU.

I hope FPS will follow suit, def COD: BO 2, there is noway im playing online with dual analog, I can play offline with it not online.

The missing features are dissapointing, but I don't see any mention of two pad local play, and without it Madden 13 WiiU is a no buy for me. *sigh* I guess the superior Madden I have dreamed off isn't coming until 2013 (if even then). :/

@ shockingalberto: Heads up, I sent you a PM.

deviljho

The missing features are dissapointing, but I don't see any mention of two pad local play, and without it Madden 13 WiiU is a no buy for me. *sigh* I guess the superior Madden I have dreamed off isn't coming until 2013 (if even then). :/

@ shockingalberto: Heads up, I sent you a PM.

I'm definitely waiting until next year's Madden and Fifa. I can't justify buying every iteration.

Destructoid Hands-on

The announcement of Mass Effect 3 being released on the Wii U was a pleasant surprise. As BioWare’s first entry into the Nintendo console, Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U takes advantage of the new hardware, while at the same time featuring the most recent Mass Effect 3 content. Specifically, the inclusion of the extended cut DLC, and much of the multiplayer updates and expansions.

Our demo started about a quarter of the way into Mass Effect 3 during the Cerberus’ assault on the Biotics Academy. Visually, the Wii U version holds up quite well compared to the other console releases. The frame rate is solid, the textures looks great, and overall sound is just as impressive as the others.

ME3 takes advantage of the Wii U touch screen by having a persistent map which shows squad movement, objectives, and enemy positions in real time. You can even make use of the touch capabilities by controlling your squad mates movements. Tapping on your squad icons will prep them for orders, tapping again to a specific position on the map will cause them to head to that location. With the inclusion of an overhead map with persistent changes, the squad ordering mechanic feels much more intuitive and handy in this version.

While you still can use the traditional ability menu by holding down the right shoulder button, the touch pad also includes hot keys for the abilities of Shepard and his squad mates. You can rearrange and organize the hot keys to your liking by dragging and dropping them into open slots while in the menu screen. While this is a really great feature for the touch pad, I do have some concerns about organization of these abilities. When placing the similar skills on the hot keys among squad mates, it can become difficult to discern which ability belongs to who since they share the same icons. Hopefully, BioWare will add an indicator for skill/ability ownership before release.

Since the Wii U version is coming out several months after ME3’s original release, BioWare has taken the time to include some original content for the series debut on Nintendo‘s console. Considering that players won’t have access to the previous titles, the Wii U edition will include an expanded version of Genesis, the digital comic by Dark Horse Comics. The preliminary comic will get players up to speed with its recount of the events of the previous two games, and will have real time choices to help shape their version of Shepard and the course of the series prior to beginning the campaign for Mass Effect 3.

Also included is a brand new weapon exclusive to the Wii U edition. The M-597 Ladon is a brand new heavy weapon that fires homing lasers at up to six different targets. It’s an extremely powerful weapon that does significant damage to squads of enemies.

Lastly, players can even switch the gameplay over onto the Wii U screen. Weirdly enough, the game feels much tighter when played on the smaller screen. I’m not too sure what accounts for this, but there seemed to have been a very slight latency period when playing ME3 on the TV screen. However, you lose the clarity of sound, as the Wii U speakers don’t do much justice.

All in all, Mass Effect 3 for the Wii U looks to be a great addition to the console’s launch. While there were some slight issues with touch organization and the presentation, this port is an admirable effort by BioWare. Players looking to get their hands on the Wii U, and never experienced the Mass Effect games now have the perfect opportunity to do so when it's released this holiday alongside the launch of the Wii U.

Anyone else preorder some WiiU games from NewEgg?

I got Sonic Racing Transformed for $30, Rayman for $40, and ZombiU and AC3 for $50 each. And there's still more games I want for launch x_x

Funny, but you can also pre-order Black Ops II for Wii U as well on Newegg. I guess it's not really a well kept secret, but more like an expectation that it's going to be there at launch.

Meelow

Banned
If Nintendo doesn't add triggers to the Pro Controller the people that want them can always buy the Mad Catz Wii U controller.

mad_catz_fpspro.jpg

fpspro-2.jpg

Sad reading about the Fifa and Madden 13 Wii U versions :(.

They really have no excuse considering they have had Wii U devkits since E3 2011.

Will be funny when they say 'no Wii U support for the 2014 versions because of poor sales of the 2012.5 versions on the Wii U'...

Wasn't planning on buying them anyway but it sucks for those who wanted Wii U as their only console.

Meelow

Banned

They really have no excuse considering they have had Wii U devkits since E3 2011.

Will be funny when they say 'no Wii U support for the 2014 versions because of poor sales of the 2012.5 versions on the Wii U'...

Wasn't planning on buying them anyway but it sucks for those who wanted Wii U as their only console.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40598095&postcount=12883

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We might possibly get a Toki Tori 2 Wii U trailer next week.

http://www.gamingvlog.net/2012/08/03/toki-tori-2-trailer-and-wii-u-details-teased/

nz61tklj.jpeg

This object is an important aspect of the game’s storyline. But what it is exactly will only become clear when you play it yourself!

That object also looks like a Zelda Crest.

japtor

Funny, but seriously, if they are porting the 360 versions, wouldn't the code already be there for the feature?
(this was about voice controls) It depends on how it's implemented, like if the 360/Kinect provides a voice input API that handles the hard bits or something, it might be difficult to re-implement it on another system. Plus voice recognition can be computationally complex, like Nuance's system requirements are kind of beefy for example, also might be why the recognition on Kinect seems so slow.
Rösti;40596135 said:
I've seen more and more posts about this fascination with gaming while sitting on the toilet, and I find it nasty. Unless you have some special water closet equipped with a fan or suction nozzle, fecal matter will most likely spread in the air while doing your business, and that matter may end up on your Wii U GamePad. And that's unsanitary, at least to me. Sure, having the controller with you once or twice probably won't cause any problems, but if you make it a habit you may end up with a smelly, revolting piece of plastic that nobody wants to touch. Of course you can use disinfectant on the controller, but I doubt that's good for it, and liquid can easily get stuck in crevices and cause unpleasantness.

By all means should you utilize the functions of the Wii U GamePad, but I think you should limit it from visiting the crapper.
Never ever buy a used portable device.

NCAA Football 13 doesn't even have the Infinity Engine, and that's on the same code base on the same consoles.

Destructoid Hands-on blabla

It was already brought to attention that the latency between WiiU > Wii U Gamepad image is LOWER than the actual Image output on the TV. Thats why it propably feels alittle more direct playing on the pad.

Another reason why more games should allow this.

Van Owen

Banned
It was already brought to attention that the latency between WiiU > Wii U Gamepad image is LOWER than the actual Image output on the TV. Thats why it propably feels alittle more direct playing on the pad.

Well, the controller is currently wired to the console. The delay will likely increase when it's wireless.

There'll probably be a sync U Pad to TV function on the WiiU... and in fact wasn't there an official quote on something along those lines somewhere?

Drago

If Nintendo doesn't add triggers to the Pro Controller the people that want them can always buy the Mad Catz Wii U controller.

mad_catz_fpspro.jpg

fpspro-2.jpg

Concave sticks + 360 button placement + Analog-like trigger buttons = will buy

If the quality is good, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom