• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concave sticks + 360 button placement + Analog-like trigger buttons = will buy

If the quality is good, of course.

Just because the triggers of a third party hardware manufacture has analouge triggers dosen´t make the game recognize the analog press. Games will be made for the digital triggers of the Wii U pad.

It will propably just send a "pressed" signal if you reach a certain depths.

Just because the triggers of a third party hardware manufacture has analouge triggers dosen´t make the game recognize the analog press. Games will be made for the digital triggers of the Wii U pad.

I was gonna tell them this, but you did. So that's cool.

Drago

I know this, which is why I said analog-like

I'd rather press down on a trigger than click a trigger which seems to be the type of triggers the standard U controller uses. I think... not too sure.

Pushing on a trigger feels much more satisfying than clicking one to me. The feel is so much better.

Maybe I'm just weird

mFraa.jpg

VNwJb.jpg

...no?

You need to go back a little further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FnXlcpG0LQ

Edit: Err...make that go Forward

PES showed on the Wii that it could easily step up to the plate. Pointer controls vs touch controls incoming!

ibbNj86tEdZnTy.gif

Yup, they've done exactly what I was hoping they would do and have basically 'borrowed' the Pro Evo Wii controls and slapped them on the touchscreen. I've been waiting for years for them to adopt pointer controls for FIFA Wii, glad they've finally got their act together.

For my money Pro Evo Wii is currently the best football video game I've played, and at nearly 41 years of age I've played most of them lol.

Another day one purchase, this console is going to cost me a bloody fortune lololol

Effect

Well Madden is one more game on the list I won't be bothering with. Not buying an inferior version of the game.

I am surprised with what they've done with Mass Effect 3 though with the controller. Not surprised in how they're using it. That's just common sense given they do have a touch screen to work with. Surprised that they're actually using it like that and not half-assing it. Though that could be because it's a 3rd party with Wii experience doing the port and not Bioware, EA proper or EA Sports (considering crap they're pushing with FIFA and Madden on the Wii U).

Meelow

Banned
Well Madden is one more game on the list I won't be bothering with. No buying an inferior version of the game.

I am surprised with what they've done with Mass Effect 3 though with the controller. Not surprised in how they're using it. That's just common sense given they do have a touch screen to work with. Surprised that they're actually using it like that and not half-assing it. Though that could be because it's Bioware and not EA proper or EA Sports (considering crap they're pushing with FIFA and Madden on the Wii U).

Well technically FIFA 13 on the Wii U will have it's exclusive features that the PS3 and 360 won't have, so you can pretty much call FIFA 13 on the PS3/360 FIFA 12.5 as well.

We still dont know much about the WiiU yet, nothing is finalized at all. I think they will put analog triggers on the controllers. They had to hear criticism from devs and and the industry in general at E3. Just like last year with the slide pads. Even in one of the WiiU experience threads someone said the WiiU had a "Not finished hardware" sign or something next to the WiiU console itself. Everything they show at the september ND or whatever will be the real finalizations. Regardless if anything changed or not.

Meelow

Banned
The more I can see the more is EA is rushing their games on Wii U. They were not ready at all. This and FIFA being a FIFA 12 on steroids. Where is the EA that was excited of the Wii U?

I'm pretty sure if the other versions are released outside of America they won't do that well as what they would do in North America because why should Europe and Asia focus on a game that's mainstream in North America?.

Also since the Wii version will go out of North America it's nothing against Nintendo.

untitledfrs1c.jpg

My brain has trouble accepting that this is a controller for a home console, and not a some -standalone- portable game system, running ME3.

Niceeeeee......

ohlawd

@Skiesofwonder

Pikmin 1 and 2 are available on the Wii with wiimote+nunchuck controls; it's also the only control type for it.

Forgive me if you knew that already but based on your Wii U impressions post (thanks for posting that by the way), it sounded like you didn't.

I never played Pikmin 1 or 2 on the GC so I have no idea how it plays there but the pointer controls on the Wii are simply divine. I'm so hyped for Pikmin 3 :)

The more I can see the more is EA is rushing their games on Wii U. They were not ready at all. This and FIFA being a FIFA 12 on steroids. Where is the EA that was excited of the Wii U?

Not sure why, but I have a feeling EA had plans to heavily involve Origin with the online infrastructure and Nintendo didn't agree. That's just my guess as to what happened, who knows what went down?

DrNeroCF

It was already brought to attention that the latency between WiiU > Wii U Gamepad image is LOWER than the actual Image output on the TV. Thats why it propably feels alittle more direct playing on the pad.

Another reason why more games should allow this.

Yeah, EA sets up their TVs at their default setting when showing games off. Without game mode on, they get a good half a second or so of input lag.

Players only really seem to notice when using the Wii remote pointers or gyros in something really crisp like Wii Sports Resort, but end up blaming the controls instead of the TVs.

You'd think presenters would know better by now, it's really sad how little priority is given to responsiveness in games nowadays.

Effect

Never existed. It was all talk. Just like all western 3rd parties when it comes to Nintendo systems in recent times. Though, pure speculation, but wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get Origin on the system and that didn't work so they decided to wash their hands. Then changed their mind (or someone made them change it) later and are now rushing. Perhaps the negative turn Star Wars: The Old Republic was taking is what did it. More money had to be gained and they had no choice but to make games for the Wii U.

untitledfrs1c.jpg

My brain has trouble accepting that this is a controller for a home console, and not a some -standalone- portable game system, running ME3.

Niceeeeee......

The best feature by far. Playing full console games on the pad will be amazing. If I see a screenshot of someone playing Super Mario World or Donkey Kong Country right on the pad, I don't know if I can resist buying one.

Meelow

Banned
Never existed. It was all talk. Just like all western 3rd parties when it comes to Nintendo systems in recent times. Pure speculation but wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get Origin on the system and that didn't work so they decided to wash their hands. Then changed their mind (or someone made them change it later and are now rushing.

At least Nintendo is trying to fix things with third party's, Nintendo used to be the best with third party support regarding their consoles, NES and SNES, Nintendo could do it again.

deviljho

The best feature by far. Playing full console games on the pad will be amazing. If I see a screenshot of someone playing Super Mario World or Donkey Kong Country right on the pad, I don't know if I can resist buying one.

We can plug headphones into the controller, right? Just waiting for Nintendo to reveal the distance...

Man.. Fun times are ahead.

Yup. I'll likely pass on the poop playing, though. Hope it has some range.

Well I'm not ready to blame EA for the Madden "issue".

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1648950#post1648950

From what I hear (and I trust my source on this as reliable), the CPU chip in WiiU is almost certainly weaker than Xenon & Cell. Which is why some devs have outright refused to port their existing (in-development) PS360 games to it. I believe Nintendo indended the GPU compute support to make up the difference for their weak CPU choice, however the CPU performance is so bad that devs would be required to refactor their entire engines to get stuff working on the GPU instead, and for many dev that would be impossible on their current project schedules.

Maybe that anonymous dev talking about physics was from EA, haha.

I dont believe anything anymore. Instead of beating around the bush and going of what someone said Ill just wait until the damn thing launches.

Sounds to me that it goes back to what I talked about with Wii U doing better with ports from PS4 and Xbox 3 than from PS360. So as it stands I can't blame EA for what happened and I'll more than likely buy it if I can.

JordanN

Banned
Well I'm not ready to blame EA for the Madden "issue".

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1648950#post1648950

Maybe that anonymous dev talking about physics was from EA, haha.

Well if you bounces anonymous sources around , we also had Ideaman said the CPU is clearly better and that any problems would be unoptimizations from middleware which I'm more willing to believe.

I'm also not sure where Nintendo would even get such cpu from. It's 2012 and they're co-operating with IBM who are no short of having better than 2005 CPU's. Afterall, who else would know more about Xenon and Cell than the very ones who designed them.

Also, I remember posting this on Gametrailers but in a shareholder meeting, Nintendo talked about how their partnerships with companies like AMD and IBM are tied to the fact they help promote their [new] products. And what better product to show off than their POWER7 line (or equivalent).

Well if you bounces anonymous sources around , we also had Ideaman said the CPU is clearly better and that any problems would be unoptimizations from middleware which I'm more willing to believe.

I'm also not sure where Nintendo would even get such cpu from. It's 2012 and they're co-operating with IBM who are no short of having better than 2005 CPU's. Afterall, who else would know more about Xenon and Cell than the very ones who designed them.

Also, I remember posting this on Gametrailers but in a shareholder meeting, Nintendo talked about how their partnerships with companies like AMD and IBM are tied to the fact they help promote their products. And what better product to show off than their POWER7 line.

I didn't focus on the "weaker" aspect. I'm focusing on how Wii U is designed and considering the window for optimizations, getting Madden as it is this year is better than not getting it at all.

japtor

I need context for "this year". I've only skimmed talk about it and the ESPN interview.
Well here's the bit about it:
The Infinity Engine is something that is a point of interest for “Madden” fans, it’s just something we weren’t able to achieve for this first year on the new hardware. A lot of times, new hardware comes with new challenges.
I'm guessing the same thing happened with NCAA 13, when talking about that I think they mentioned that the Infinity Engine came on later enough in the dev cycle that they couldn't get it into NCAA. Considering they were porting to a new system and implementing a new UI for everything I can see if they just ran into a crunch for time if the Infinity Engine came on later rather than implemented from the start.

Edit: about NCAA http://kotaku.com/5915444/the-real-time-for-physics-is-now-says-madden
The elephant in the room is NCAA Football, which will get real-time physics next year, Weber said. It ships seven weeks before Madden does, and when the football group decided to go for it and bring physics to this year's game—Weber said he came into this year's game unsure if they would—it was too late to properly integrate with NCAA.
Can't tell from that if it came later or if they just didn't have enough time after adding the other updates to the game.

Beyond3d is mostly garbage these days, hell a lot of the clueless people on Neogaf post there as well.

Regardless of one's view of that board, we've had things pointing to where the problem was since Arkam started posting in these threads. Considering how long ago we've known stuff like this was happening it should come as no surprise when a company says something similar today when it comes to what obviously would have been a straight port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom