• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here's the bit about it:

I'm guessing the same thing happened with NCAA 13, when talking about that I think they mentioned that the Infinity Engine came on later enough in the dev cycle that they couldn't get it into NCAA. Considering they were porting to a new system and implementing a new UI for everything I can see if they just ran into a crunch for time if the Infinity Engine came on later rather than implemented from the start.

Thanks. That was where I was getting at. If Wii U is the first next-gen console to "shift hardware focus", then stuff like this really shouldn't be a surprise early on.

Regardless of one's view of that board, we've had things pointing to where the problem was since Arkam started posting in these threads. Considering how long ago we've known stuff like this was happening it should come as no surprise when a company says something similar today when it comes to what obviously would have been a straight port.
I'm pretty much 90% with you man.

WiiU is Orbis-lite. Lacking brute force, and requiring rewritten engines because it lacks brute force. What I mean by that is that I'd bet both Orbis and Durango will be able to run current gen engines with little need for retooling, while WiiU though similar in architecture to Orbis/Durango does not have the floppage necessary to run a physics engine requiring teh massive flops.

Time will tell what this means for the console. I just wish we had some idea if that speculation is true. It sounds all well and good... but it would really be nice to know what specs you are targeting Nintendo.

I'm pretty much 90% with you man.

WiiU is Orbis-lite. Lacking brute force, and requiring rewritten engines because it lacks brute force. What I mean by that is that I'd bet both Orbis and Durango will be able to run current gen engines with little need for retooling, while WiiU though similar in architecture to Orbis/Durango does not have the floppage necessary to run a physics engine requiring teh massive flops.

Time will tell what this means for the console. I just wish we had some idea if that speculation is true. It sounds all well and good... but it would really be nice to know what specs you are targeting Nintendo.

I have the same view. The other two consoles would/should have the raw power to overcome that issue, though it wouldn't be as good as a version built to the hardware's advantages.

I wouldn't be surprised if some devs want to know the same thing, lol.

Didnt you guys pick up what this lady said?

All Nintendo titles will have the ability to play exclusively on the gamepad!

That really sucks if true, it means no Nintendo game will truly be made from the ground up to require dual screen gameplay.

Drago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iption=10OFFPREORDERPROMO&name=Nintendo Wii U

Wow NewEgg $10 off preorder games, has a bunch of WiiU games from Activision that has not been officially announced yet lol

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Skylander Giants Starter Pack
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2012

But great deal, will preorder ZombieU
It's a fantastic deal. Went insane and preordered 17 games total o_o

Already pre ordered Assassin's Creed 3, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and Sonic Racing from this. The rest of the WiiU games I want aren't available for preorder :/

MDX

That really sucks if true, it means no Nintendo game will truly be made from the ground up to require dual screen gameplay.

I dont see the problem.
Explain a situation where a dual screen is made from the ground up but a solution cant be found to play on one screen.

First time seeing that vid. 1:25 for those interested.

I'm with MDX as far as not seeing the problem.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see a slightly different problem if that game's dynamic completely changes.

Wow NewEgg $10 off preorder games, has a bunch of WiiU games from Activision that has not been officially announced yet lol

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Skylander Giants Starter Pack
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2012

But great deal, will preorder ZombieU

IF I was able to preorder BO2 for 49.99, I would have probably preordered it.. But alas... Better to get on day 1 from a retail store, I think.

Sounds to me that it goes back to what I talked about with Wii U doing better with ports from PS4 and Xbox 3 than from PS360. So as it stands I can't blame EA for what happened and I'll more than likely buy it if I can.

I don't like it but it is a smart move and guarantees them to be able to launch the game as early as possible to the other platforms. Put a small team who do not need to work on the new infinity engine (and the current teething problems associated with it) and work on more matured real time gameplay mechanics that only wii u can provide (smartglass is just not the same thing is it now) and release by before the year ends guarantees them some healthy sales without providing too much manpower. Leave that for 2013 version when there are probably close to 15 million userbase by the time the next version is due with even more matured controls and with infinity engine and the full online Wii U experience that will now be fully experienced by players and developers. This also applies to a game such as Mass Effect 3 and FIFA. The budgets will not be as big so chances of success will be higher even with smaller sales.

It is a wise move by EA which might anger some "fans" but they just want to feel better about themselves to say they had the "superior version". Real fans of the game will be stoked with the new control system and being able to get a game at launch.

Cannot wait for September when we finally get some real launch news. GO SPACEWORLD!!

Also, what day does the new Cabela come out this year? What day does Halo 4 come out?

This is important. ;)

If Cabela is going to use the wii u control pad with that gun attachment thing for tablet zooming plus motion control then this will be the best version of Cabela's ever. It might even become a surprise hit with some

jerd

I thought Nintendo said that this would only be featured in some games a while back? Should we take this random rep's word over that? I don't see how it would even be possible on ZombiU or to a lesser extent P-100

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, I would kinda love if this were true. It is my #1 favorite feature of the system.

I don't think that's what she meant. If *every* game was using it, Nintendo wasn't very smart in not mentioning it at E3. She probably misspoke.

Margalis

Banned
Well I'm not ready to blame EA for the Madden "issue".

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1648950#post1648950

Maybe that anonymous dev talking about physics was from EA, haha.

I'm going to say this more bluntly since you seemed to not get the hint the first time: please stop linking to garbage threads by people who have no actual information.

The thread above consists of regular Neogaf posters (including yourself lol) and a guy who totally has a friend who knows something about the WiiU.

He's not an anonymous dev working on the WiiU. He's not even the friend of a guy working on the WiiU. He is a guy who says he has a "source" (who may not even be a developer) who knows stuff about the WiiU - totes!

It's completely pointless to link to that thread as if it is a source of information. It's literally just a guy saying something.

You are here on Neogaf linking to your own B3D threads as evidence, and on B3D linking to your own Neogaf threads as evidence. Meanwhile neither you nor any of the people you are talking to are actually developers with relevant information. It's all extremely silly.

deviljho

You are here on Neogaf linking to your own B3D threads as evidence, and on B3D linking to your own Neogaf threads as evidence. Meanwhile neither you nor any of the people you are talking to are actually developers with relevant information. It's all extremely silly.

I would like to see the Wii U and Nintendo Network support some kind of leaderboard and/or tournament system. Ability to make groups or clans and all that for competitive online multiplayer games. At this point, I don't care about the specs. They will be what they will be. Hopefully, future games get ported over. I want Nintendo to talk about their network.

Also, how will they patch games with only 8 GB of flash memory?

I'm going to say this more bluntly since you seemed to not get the hint the first time: please stop linking to garbage threads by people who have no actual information.

The thread above consists of regular Neogaf posters (including yourself lol) and a guy who totally has a friend who knows something about the WiiU.

He's not an anonymous dev working on the WiiU. He's not even the friend of a guy working on the WiiU. He is a guy who says he has a "source" (who may not even be a developer) who knows stuff about the WiiU - totes!

It's completely pointless to link to that thread as if it is a source of information. It's literally just a guy saying something.

So because you don't believe he has info, means he doesn't have info? I got it.

Same could apply to me and I know for a fact I'm not an anonymous dev or would be considered a friend of those who are my "sources".

JordanN

Banned
I would like to see the Wii U and Nintendo Network support some kind of leaderboard and/or tournament system. Ability to make groups or clans and all that for competitive online multiplayer games. At this point, I don't care about the specs. They will be what they will be. Hopefully, future games get ported over. I want Nintendo to talk about their network.

Also, how will they patch games with only 8 GB of flash memory?
Wii U supports hard drives.

Margalis

Banned
So because you don't believe he has info, means he doesn't have info? I got it.

No, it means that I have half a brain and realize that a random dude posting on a forum who isn't a developer who claims to have a friend who probably also isn't a developer who totally knows stuff about the WiiU is not credible.

That doesn't mean he's wrong - sure, he could be right. But it's literally just a guy saying something, and he's not even claiming to know himself, he just knows through his friend's cousin's former roommate.

deviljho

It could fit plenty, depends what their policy on patch size is.

The last thing they should do is start telling 3rd parties how they can and cannot patch games. I thought they were trying to work to get 3rd party support.

Wii U supports hard drives.

So if I buy a game that needs a patch to play (especially online), I have to buy a hard drive also now?

Nintendo needs to tell us about their network and online capabilities (beyond Miiverse) more than their specs.

JordanN

Banned
So if I buy a game that needs a patch to play (especially online), I have to buy a hard drive also now?

Nintendo needs to tell us about their network and online capabilities (beyond Miiverse) more than their specs.
Only for the patches that go above 8GB in size (if that's even final).

Ryoku

The last thing they should do is start telling 3rd parties how they can and cannot patch games. I thought they were trying to work to get 3rd party support.

I'm sure you could fit whatever you can into that 8GB of Flash, but if (when) you want to expand, you had better get an external HDD :p
I have a spare 500GB Western Digital HDD that I plan to use for my Wii U. It used to be my PC backup drive, but I now have a separate external 1TB drive for that

For the record, you could use usb flash drives if you want :/

deviljho

Only for the patches that go above 8GB in size (if that's even final).

Well, the 8GB of memory will contain, save data, system data, possibly more than 1 patch. It seems silly. How does it work on the Xbox 360 that only has 4GB of memory and no HD?

I have a spare 500GB Western Digital HDD that I plan to use for my Wii U. It used to be my PC backup drive, but I now have a separate external 1TB drive for that.

I have an external also, so I'm not worried about myself. I just don't see how this is a working solution for the average consumer. I really want Nintendo to give us more information about their network.

Ryoku

Well, the 8GB of memory will contain, save data, system data, possibly more than 1 patch. It seems silly. How does it work on the Xbox 360 that only has 4GB of memory and no HD?

Didn't Microsoft limit DLC or something to 4GB in size because of this limitation?

Is it also true that the 4GB SKU sold the most?

Margalis

Banned
Anonymous Wii U info is only credible if it comes from neogaf posters and is positive.

As someone who has worked on all the major consoles in a technical role and Knows Stuff (TM) I feel comfortable saying that most of the technical information that comes from random message board dudes is wrong and often laughable. (This is also true of information about the development and publishing process) For lack of a better term "laymen" tend to vastly overestimate how much they understand about the technical or business sides of games.

I just find it very annoying when people who have no actual information cite other people with no actual information to make a case.

deviljho

For lack of a better term "layman" tend to vastly overestimate how much they understand about the technical or business sides of games.

That's why I refer to Michael Pachter wherever I can. j/k

Is it also true that the 4GB SKU sold the most?

I don't know. This past year, there have been lots of bundles on sale. I think the 250GB hard drive version was an extra $100, which is crazy. In the long run, it's probably good Nintendo will let you use your own hard drive and flash memory.

I don't like it but it is a smart move and guarantees them to be able to launch the game as early as possible to the other platforms. Put a small team who do not need to work on the new infinity engine (and the current teething problems associated with it) and work on more matured real time gameplay mechanics that only wii u can provide (smartglass is just not the same thing is it now) and release by before the year ends guarantees them some healthy sales without providing too much manpower. Leave that for 2013 version when there are probably close to 15 million userbase by the time the next version is due with even more matured controls and with infinity engine and the full online Wii U experience that will now be fully experienced by players and developers. This also applies to a game such as Mass Effect 3 and FIFA. The budgets will not be as big so chances of success will be higher even with smaller sales.

It is a wise move by EA which might anger some "fans" but they just want to feel better about themselves to say they had the "superior version". Real fans of the game will be stoked with the new control system and being able to get a game at launch.

Cannot wait for September when we finally get some real launch news. GO SPACEWORLD!!

Yeah, I think I'm going to be too caught up in the controls to be concerned about that as an issue.

No, it means that I have half a brain and realize that a random dude posting on a forum who isn't a developer who claims to have a friend who probably also isn't a developer who totally knows stuff about the WiiU is not credible.

That doesn't mean he's wrong - sure, he could be right. But it's literally just a guy saying something, and he's not even claiming to know himself, he just knows through his friend's cousin's former roommate.

But wouldn't it be better in this case to take it with a grain of salt than say it's 100% untrue considering what we know? Like I mentioned we've heard these issues since Arkam posted and that was as far back as January I believe. Also all this happened with the 4th kits. The "final" final kits didn't even start going out till a few weeks before E3. And there were also the things wsippel posted along the way, one of which wasn't too long ago saying that proper implementation utilizing the DSP had only started at that time. For me I've said all of that (the last few posts) to say that with all the available info, I can't fault EA for this decision. I can understand why people would be bothered by it, but remembering everything in the past leading up to this point just reiterates what we knew and what some probably forgot. And that's why I'm not bothered by it. And I think when people gain the ability to select plays from the controller, they won't be really concerned about it either.

Roo

I have an external also, so I'm not worried about myself. I just don't see how this is a working solution for the average consumer. I really want Nintendo to give us more information about their network.

You're forgetting the Wii U will support Acer's iGware Cloud service and I'm sure a lot of that stuff will be stored there

Margalis

Banned
But wouldn't it be better in this case to take it with a grain of salt than say it's 100% untrue considering what we know?

I'm not saying it's true or untrue, I'm saying the probability of something being true is not in any way affected by information from people who don't actually have pertinent information.

deviljho

You're forgetting the Wii U will support Acer's iGware Cloud service and I'm sure a lot of that stuff will be stored there

so now I need to always been connected to the internet to access my save games and other files? Personally, I don't have a problem with all of this. But it seems that there will be things that the average Wii U owner will have trouble with dealing with just the console out of the box.

I'm not saying it's true or untrue, I'm saying the probability of something being true is not in any way affected by information from people who don't actually have pertinent information.

But that's what I'm saying. You can't say without some kind of actual info (not your view based on your work experience) that he doesn't actually have pertinent information. I just feel you're unfairly writing him off.

Van Owen

Banned
Multiple sources have said the CPU isn't quite up to snuff (yes, even the Tekken producer counts for something) so the guy wasn't saying anything out of the ordinary.

Add that to the recent Madden stuff and it shouldn't be too hard to deduce that the CPU just isn't that great.

If the game isn't designed to be used with analog shoulders that analog shoulders in the controller are useless.
The other thing people seem to miss - the vast, vast majority of 360 games aren't designed to be used with analog shoulder triggers either. They're functionally worse than digital buttons for what they're used for in most games.

Multiple sources have said the CPU isn't quite up to snuff (yes, even the Tekken producer counts for something) so the guy wasn't saying anything out of the ordinary.

Add that to the recent Madden stuff and it shouldn't be too hard to deduce that the CPU just isn't that great.
Well... I doubt either Orbis or Durango's CPU's are going to have the brute force approach of Cell. CPU advances don't seem to be the focus on any of the technical specs we've been privy to.

Powerful? Yes. Different design principles though. Different needs. A lot of physics crunching will be done on the GPU next gen. I just don't know if the WiiU has been designed under the same paradigm.

Which is stupid. We should know. The damn thing is coming out soon. Fucking stupid shit Nintendo!

*shakes fist violently*

You're still my friend though Margalis. I don't like you face much though Van Owen. It bugs me.

*glares*

edit: Yep. I started the page like that.

japtor

If Cabela is going to use the wii u control pad with that gun attachment thing for tablet zooming plus motion control then this will be the best version of Cabela's ever. It might even become a surprise hit with some
It'll be like Silent Scope but with angry wild animals.

Or helpless deer I guess.
...I have no clue. I have a 4GB model and a 256MB one (remember those?), but have a 16GB USB stick in each. Only issues I've run into are DiRT 3 requiring a drive for making YouTube recordings and having to move pretty much everything off the internal storage for the 256MB one to fit system updates.

I'm hoping they include a SD card like 8-16GB just for that little extra bit of standard storage (like they've done on the 3DS), and maybe that'll help push the idea that you can jam in whatever storage you want.

Stulaw

I don't understand where people are getting 8GB of flash memory from. It has only ever been stated to have flash memory, never the size, and who knows, it may come with an SD card out of thw box like the 3DS.

deviljho

I'm hoping they include a SD card like 8-16GB just for that little extra bit of standard storage (like they've done on the 3DS), and maybe that'll help push the idea that you can jam in whatever storage you want.

In the end, it's best that they let people choose their own solution. It's properly cheaper for everyone. I just hope that it's flexible and open so that people don't miss out on anything.

I don't understand where people are getting 8GB of flash memory from. It has only ever been stated to have flash memory, never the size

Ahh, you're right. Thanks. So we're still waiting on Nintendo to open the info-vault.

Roo

so now I need to always been connected to the internet to access my save games and other files? Personally, I don't have a problem with all of this. But it seems that there will be things that the average Wii U owner will have trouble with dealing with just the console out of the box.

lol
I'm sorry but why do you even care about the "average wii u owner"?
if they don't understand how HDD and Cloud storage works then they most likely won't even be making full use of the internal memory that comes with the console out of the box.

Nintendo loves to explain with apples and oranges how their hardware works and I'm sure those "issues" will be explained from the go. If the average wii u owner is that... slow to understand this, then yeah, I see the problem but it will be their own fault, not Nintendo's.

deviljho

lol
I'm sorry but why do you even care about the "average wii u owner"?
if they don't understand how HDD and Cloud storage works then they most likely won't even be making full use of the internal memory that comes with the console out of the box.

Nintendo loves to explain with apples and oranges how their hardware works and I'm sure those "issues" will be explained from the go. If the average wii u owner is that... slow to understand this, then yeah, I see the problem but it will be their own fault, not Nintendo's.

I care for the same reason I care about 3rd party ports of Medal of Honor or Tomb Raider. Even though I'm not personally interested in certain games, I think it's important for Nintendo to have a wide range of multiplatform ports and 3rd party games to be successful.

Nintendo's success ensures that they will continue to have an opportunity to make products I do value. It's that simple, I don't want Nintendo to succeed out of some silly fanboyism, but rather because their longevity means they keep making things I want.

And you're right about the "apples and oranges" concept, I am simply hoping that the Wii U doesn't shut any one audience out or make things difficult. I am hoping it will be a success so that I can get what I want in the future. That did not fully happen with the Wii.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Received my copy of ONM today.
Only interesting news I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet is that on August 8-10, three of the magazine staff are off to a "secret location" to play a game that will be featured on next month's cover. It's a Wii U title, but they can't tell you where they're going or what they're playing.....

But you understand everything else, right? That it's a time issue getting the engine customised on Wii U ready for a launch title? Not because the Wii U is weaker than 7 year old console? you.. do.. get.. that.. .. .. right??

japtor

In the end, it's best that they let people choose their own solution. It's properly cheaper for everyone. I just hope that it's flexible and open so that people don't miss out on anything.
They already said SD cards and standard USB mass storage devices.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Only interesting news I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet is that on August 8-10, three of the magazine staff are off to a "secret location" to play a game that will be featured on next month's cover. It's a Wii U title, but they can't tell you where they're going or what they're playing.....

That's so Black Ops 2.

deviljho

It's a Wii U title, but they can't tell you where they're going or what they're playing.....

That's so Black Ops 2.

Yes, it's very covert.

Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_-_Chaos_Theory_Coverart.png

100% its zombiu or something. They could tell us that. Yes, everyone, listen up! pm me for my address as to where to send chocolate when I am right.Thanks.

They're going to Austin, Texas. Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom