• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so now I need to always been connected to the internet to access my save games and other files? Personally, I don't have a problem with all of this. But it seems that there will be things that the average Wii U owner will have trouble with dealing with just the console out of the box.
The average Wii U user will do just fine with the 8 gigs onboard. I think this is really a non-issue; even my non-tech savvy wife understands the concept of an external drive.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Beyond3d is mostly garbage these days, hell a lot of the clueless people on Neogaf post there as well.
I don't think it's fair to generalize about the b3d forums like this. Yes, the console section there has pretty bad SNR these days (and yes, not without the help of some gaffers), but the site continues to have its fairly knowledgeable audience, who may or may not bother to post in the console section. I think we're all just experiencing the perils of a new console gen coming upon us.

The other thing people seem to miss - the vast, vast majority of 360 games aren't designed to be used with analog shoulder triggers either. They're functionally worse than digital buttons for what they're used for in most games.

Yes the whole AC series dosen´t use them and in Saints Row 3, If you reach a certain point while pressing down, the car accelerated full speed. You can´t adjust the speed with the analog trigger!

I don't think it's fair to generalize about the b3d forums like this. Yes, the console section there has pretty bad SNR these days (and yes, not without the help of some gaffers), but the site continues to have its fairly knowledgeable audience, who may or may not bother to post in the console section. I think we're all just experiencing the perils of a new console gen coming upon us.
Sounds scary as hell lol..

Yes the whole AC series dosen´t use them and in Saints Row 3, If you reach a certain point while pressing down, the car accelerated full speed. You can´t adjust the speed with the analog trigger!

Maybe Madcatz know something we don't. They had them on the GC pad and they seemed to have listened to games makers about everything else so why not about triggers!

The best feature by far. Playing full console games on the pad will be amazing.

+1

On another note, do we know why he's using the 'HOME' button to switch screens?

me3_wiiu5zsl3_shortjzua5.gif

You would think that hitting 'HOME' would bring up a...home screen or something. (Wii-style)

Isn't the 'HOME' button "reserved" for the OS? Edit: Are devs "allowed" to assign any other functions to it?

Temporary solution maybe? (until OS is finalized?)

+1

me3_wiiu5zsl3_short79uu7.gif

You would think that hitting 'HOME' would bring up a...home screen or something. (Wii-style)

Isn't the 'HOME' button "reserved" for the OS?

Most likely

Impressive how fast and smooth the transition is...

+1

me3_wiiu5zsl3_shortjzua5.gif

Isn't the 'HOME' button "reserved" for the OS? Edit: Are devs "allowed" to assign any other functions to it?

Who knows.. It could be it couldnt be. Gaf..*coughs* I mean the internet is just completely baffling me about how much Wiiu news they know, what could or cant happen, what the graphics are possible of doing, the range of the controller, etc..People are saying somethings that I really dont know how they came up with the conclusion. Its almost like Nintendo let loose and said/showed everything.. When they, even after 2 E3s and one meaningful Nintendo Direct has said absolutely nothing at all. There are no absolutes in anything we see or hear really.

Ok now that Im done with that anybody have a link to a thread or press release or something about the september nintendo direct thing?

Who knows.. It could be it couldnt be. Gaf..*coughs* I mean the internet is just completely baffling me about how much Wiiu news they know, what could or cant happen, what the graphics are possible of doing, the range of the controller, etc..People are saying somethings that I really dont know how they came up with the conclusion. Its almost like Nintendo let loose and said/showed everything.. When they, even after 2 E3s and one meaningful Nintendo Direct has said absolutely nothing at all. There are no absolutes in anything we see or hear really.

Ok now that Im done with that anybody have a link to a thread or press release or something about the september nintendo direct thing?

There you go:

http://nintendoeverything.com/93170/iwata-discusses-wii-u-doubts-details-for-console-this-fall/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Before September, I hope we can get confirmation about CoD by Activision, first walkthrough of Wii U version of Sega All Star, Darksider2 and Skylander Giant, and maybe another surprise (multiplatform) from EA for Q1 2013.
I'm givin'up about Splinter Cell and 007 Skyfall, but never say never! While Bioshock and Lord of shadown rumors were bullshit..
In September I'll hope for Japanes support reveal instead...

Maybe Madcatz know something we don't. They had them on the GC pad and they seemed to have listened to games makers about everything else so why not about triggers!
I thought Mad Catz said long ago it was because what they were showing was just their X360 controller with button letters/icons changed.

Fall conference is always around TGS and TGS is always in September.
Well I guess thats true..will be very dissapointed if its not in early-mid september as Im waiting patiently for this whole damn month to pass. And if they try in october??? Dont even get me started, I will capture Iwata and even Nintendo ninjas aint fuckin with me.

Well I guess thats true..will be very dissapointed if its not in early-mid september as Im waiting patiently for this whole damn month to pass. And if they try in october??? Dont even get me started, I will capture Iwata and even Nintendo ninjas aint fuckin with me.

Don´t know why they release all the info this late. My best guess is that they didn´t want to overshadow the 3DS XL launch. But as i said, its just a guess...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Don't forget, there's a Nintendo Direct due this month.
I'd be stunned if the Wii U wasn't mentioned there.

Don´t know why they release all the info this late. My best guess is that they didn´t want to overshadow the 3DS XL launch. But as i said, its just a guess...
Yea thats true also, I keep forgetting the XL is like a relaunch sorta.

The way things have been going I wont even get my hopes up for it to tell the truth.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
anybody knows which are the EA Q1 2013 titles?
I know they announced army of two 3 and dead space 3, but I don't know if they announced also NfS, MoH and Tiger Woods dates.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
anybody knows which are the EA Q1 2013 titles?
I know they announced army of two 3 and dead space 3, but I don't know if they announced also NfS, MoH and Tiger Woods dates.

Warfighter and Most Wanted are this October, and PGA Tour '13 is March next year.

MDX

They can at least offer more info on games that where not highlighted at E3 but
we know will be ready for launch. Like AlienvsPredator, Darksiders2, etc.

Fall starts near the end of September.
So it could be October as well.
But I think Nintendo might want to launch in October.

Its not called the "fall conference" because its in the fall, its focusing on stuff from fall to holiday/early next year.

I much rather hope for an early September conference, End of September conference and launch in November would be very very close...

Since all the whining after E3 we might se a glimpse of AAA title from Nintendo.

MDX

Its not called the "fall conference" because its in the fall, its focusing on stuff from fall to holiday/early next year.

I much rather hope for an early September conference, End of September conference and launch in November would be very very close...

Since all the whining after E3 we might se a glimpse of AAA title from Nintendo.

our intention to convey a strong message this fall with the information about the price and the launch date

No mention of "conference".

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Warfighter and Most Wanted are this October, and PGA Tour '13 is March next year.

Thank you.
so, due to the fact that I don't think that EA will put another title for the strictly named launch period (Fifa, Madden and ME3 for d1 that imho will be around november), I think that we could hope to see another wiiu multiplatform title announced for q1 among army of two, dead space and tiger woods...
looking at how the things are going now, I'd bet it will be tiger wood... sadly.
also if I think that it's really weird to propose ME3 and not one between army of two or dead space, honesetly...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo Direct this month will probably be about 3DS again, and there could be more announcements than in your normal ND, since the September Conference will have a great focus on Wii U: it's there we'll have launch date, price, infos about the system, launch lineup and brand new games announced.

DynamicG

What's the major benefit of launching in October rather than November? I can see it netting more sales just by virtue of being in the market longer, but it seems that Nintendo needs all the time they can get when launching WiiU. Rushing a launch just to get to market a few weeks earlier might not be worth rushing software and launch details.

Maybe they could use that extra time to get the eshop fully working on day1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Weaker than the 360's CPU confirmed, just as i've said all along ;).

Though I would not be in the least bit surprised to find the Wii U's CPU problematic, and the architecture design fully based on using compute support of the GPU to make up for CPU limitations, an anonymous post on the internet is hardly 'confirmation' of anything.

Though I would not be in the least bit surprised to find the Wii U's CPU problematic, and the architecture design fully based on using compute support of the GPU to make up for CPU limitations, an anonymous post on the internet is hardly 'confirmation' of anything.
EC just make a alias account there and confirm its 5x's stronger. Just like that.

MDX

What's the major benefit of launching in October rather than November? I can see it netting more sales just by virtue of being in the market longer, but it seems that Nintendo needs all the time they can get when launching WiiU. Rushing a launch just to get to market a few weeks earlier might not be worth rushing software and launch details.

Maybe they could use that extra time to get the eshop fully working on day1.

I made a thread about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483567&highlight=

I dont know how much difference a month can make at this late stage.
If Nintendo is not ready, they are not ready. But a limited early release
could also help Nintendo identify bugs in their online network.

The reason for launching in October is to make as many multi-platform titles relevant
to their original launch schedule with the other consoles. It also allows publishers to space their titles a bit better before the holidays. Games like ZombiU might be better for October, games like Rayman might be better for around Xmas.

Weaker than the 360's CPU confirmed, just as i've said all along ;).

Just no.

Tekken producer sais something, GAF goes: "HAHAHAHAHA weak ass cpu confirmed times 1000!!!"

But how is it possible that Ubi has AC3 running on it thats a shitton of more CPU demanding than a simple fighting game?

So because you don't believe he has info, means he doesn't have info? I got it.

Same could apply to me and I know for a fact I'm not an anonymous dev or would be considered a friend of those who are my "sources".

Who are you're 'sources' BG ?, it baffles me that someone who hasn't owned a console since the N64 knows so much about all three next gen consoles.

Lol calm down i was joking, notice the ';)'.

Kacho

The reason for launching in October is to make as many multi-platform titles relevant to their original launch schedule with the other consoles.

This is what I've been thinking too and why I believe the console will launch in mid-late October.

Who are you're 'sources' BG ?, it baffles me that someone who hasn't owned a console since the N64 knows so much about all three next gen consoles.
Lol that is half of gaf. Most folks dont play the games they just talk about them. Thats why theres hella trolls in threads. They go off of reading gaf forums and industry reviews. Theres no way these people played and put time in all these games they supposedly dislike or consoles they dont like. To prove it they talk about consoles/games that havent even came out yet! Can you believe that!?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I've been becoming more and more tired of Nintendo's secrecy regarding Wii U's hardware. While there have been some leaks with information labeled valid, it's not, as you wrote, confirmation of anything. It's also frustrating that AMD and IBM haven't shared a single public quote about Wii U this year, through their respective websites and investor meetings anyway.

The working partners we have gotten limited information from include Coxon Group, MoSys and InvenSense/Lingsen. But that's very limited information and tells virtually nothing about Wii U's hardware, the greatest news is that Wii U won't utilize 1T-SRAM (could DDR3 be enough for Nintendo?). Upcoming events are IBM's 3Q 2012 Earnings Announcement on the 16th of October and AMD's Q3 2012 Earnings Conference Call on the 18th of October. I don't expect any quotes here, but if they want to talk about Wii U this is more or less their final opportunity before the machine launches.

And also, just as something to think about, IBM shipped the first microprocessor for Wii on the 8th of September, 2006. That's more than two months between shipping and release of Wii. If this formula applies to Wii U I don't know, but maybe news about the first Wii U processor shipping will come soon.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/20213.wss

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wii U Controller Will Push JRPG Strategizing, Says The Last Story Lead Designer

“I feel that the Wii U’s interface, as with other tablet devices, works best for browsing and arranging information,” Matsumoto told Siliconera.

“One merit is the ability to use a touch screen to directly manipulate information, such as looking up a monster’s weak point or, like with a car’s GPS, as a tool to understand battlefield conditions on a sub screen. This special feature will likely bring about opportunities for deep research into JRPG strategy.”

He added: “Also, I think that things like saving information gathered during gameplay, adding to your own character’s memories and experiences, and sharing with other players via Wi-Fi and the Miiverse will become an experience typical to the Wii U.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/0...rategizing-says-the-last-story-lead-designer/

Van Owen

Banned
But you understand everything else, right? That it's a time issue getting the engine customised on Wii U ready for a launch title? Not because the Wii U is weaker than 7 year old console? you.. do.. get.. that.. .. .. right??

The CPU could be weaker. I doubt the system as a whole is though.

Rösti;40614878 said:
I've been becoming more and more tired of Nintendo's secrecy regarding Wii U's hardware. While there have been some leaks with information labeled valid, it's not, as you wrote, confirmation of anything. It's also frustrating that AMD and IBM haven't shared a single public quote about Wii U this year, through their respective websites and investor meetings anyway.

The working partners we have gotten limited information from include Coxon Group, MoSys and InvenSense/Lingsen. But that's very limited information and tells virtually nothing about Wii U's hardware, the greatest news is that Wii U won't utilize 1T-SRAM (could DDR3 be enough for Nintendo?). Upcoming events are IBM's 3Q 2012 Earnings Announcement on the 16th of October and AMD's Q3 2012 Earnings Conference Call on the 18th of October. I don't expect any quotes here, but if they want to talk about Wii U this is more or less their final opportunity before the machine launches.

And also, just as something to think about, IBM shipped the first microprocessor for Wii on the 8th of September, 2006. That's more than two months between shipping and release of Wii. If this formula applies to Wii U I don't know, but maybe news about the first Wii U processor shipping will come soon.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/20213.wss
Its kinda sad to think like this but imo I think Nintendo has been constantly experimenting with different hardware even after E3 so they can see whats the smallest amount needed to get desired results....so in the end this is why price hasnt been announced yet. And they set a goal to be finalized on their desision by september. So they can never really give out specs because they dont even know what they are themselves.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I would love to see a Jrpg good game making use of a full-integrated gamepad interface to shift the different techniques/attacks/defenses/magics or to see party stats or to choose party strategies

MDX

Rösti;40614878 said:

Is it possible Nintendo took a second look at what MS and Sony are planning to launch and decided to make some last minute changes. I kind of feel like Nintendo showed off the console a year ago just to get Sony and MS to reveal their plans.

big_erk

Is it possible Nintendo took a second look at what MS and Sony are planning to launch and decided to make some last minute changes. I kind of feel like Nintendo showed off the console a year ago just to get Sony and MS to reveal their plans.

116-you-activated-my-trap-card.jpg

...and they fell for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom