• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I had no idea the Metroid Prime series sold so bad, surprised they let them make two sequels if it was that bad.

It didn't sell badly. It sold quite well, as the sequels imply. Prime sold 2+ million, Echoes sold under 1 million at the last public tally, and Corruption is sitting at 1.3+ million.

Trilogy sales were never spoken of, but the quick discontinuing of the game says enough. Other M is either sitting at around 1million if you want to be generous, but probably quite a bit less. Fusion hit ~1.3 million I believe, from the last check.

There's certainly a lot of value in Prime, enough for Nintendo to go back. But I can imagine they're wary of milking the brand too much, as well as its market performance with a much higher budget. I'm pretty certain the Other M formula is well and truly done, and if they do another third person it will be quite different.

Yeah but to me if it's a choice between making my console easier to develop for and less of gimped, and making my case a tad larger or the fan a bit bigger, I know what I'd choose. This gen especially they need to ensure that third party support all the way. Oh well.

I agree. If next generation engines are compute heavy it should be theoretically less of a problem than porting current gen engines, but it's still a whole bundle of maybes and speculation, none of which particularly reliable. There's absolutely some difficulty with the hardware though, and if leaks are correct then it's the CPU. Which is pretty dumb.

In what way did EA's support for Wii U "take a hit"? The Wii U is getting some of EA's biggest franchises right at launch.

Why the hell would they be so stingy/anal/stupid to gimp their CPU? Heat? Costs? I wish they weren't so worried about those things. They seems to be a bit OCD on it all.
If they did so it's probably cost. When you're as big as Nintendo you have to think about the long-term impact of costs - you know what kept the Wii from rendering natively to HD resolutions, like the original XBox did? Probably $5 worth of video RAM. But guess what, by the end of the Wii's lifetime that decision will have gained Nintendo $500 million in extra profits.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
In what way did EA's support for Wii U "take a hit"? The Wii U is getting some of EA's biggest franchises right at launch.

EA's support is tepid at best. Come on. They are showing very little confidence in the platform, both in their public statements and unveiled software.

Meelow

Banned
welcome to august 2011

Yeah, all we got where rumors and all that jazz last year but I think the Wii U is Nintendo secret console, we still don't even know about the Virtual Console yet, we learned about the Virtual Console for Wii at E3 2005, it's August 2012 and we still don't know about the Wii U's Virtual Console.

Roo

It didn't sell badly. It sold quite well, as the sequels imply. Prime sold 2+ million, Echoes sold under 1 million at the last public tally, and Corruption is sitting at 1.3+ million.

Trilogy sales were never spoken of, but the quick discontinuing of the game says enough. Other M is either sitting at around 1million if you want to be generous, but probably quite a bit less. Fusion hit ~1.3 million I believe, from the last check.

There's certainly a lot of value in Prime, enough for Nintendo to go back. But I can imagine they're wary of milking the brand too much, as well as its market performance with a much higher budget. I'm pretty certain the Other M formula is well and truly done, and if they do another third person it will be quite different.

I agree. If next generation engines are compute heavy it should be theoretically less of a problem than porting current gen engines, but it's still a whole bundle of maybes and speculation, none of which particularly reliable. There's absolutely some difficulty with the hardware though, and if leaks are correct then it's the CPU. Which is pretty dumb.

No, afaik it sold over 1 million back in January. Maybe it is around 1.1-1.3 now. Not sure tho.

There was an IGN Article just last week about the spiriling game development costs if anyone is interested -

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/30/are-aaa-hardcore-games-doomed

If Retro were to make Metroid Prime 4 for $20 million for instance it would have to sell around 2 million copies to break even.

They could just use it as a reason to get people to buy the console tho i suppose.

Going on Wii software sales they should get Wii Sports 2 and Mario Kart U out as soon as possible.

jmizzal

Yeah, all we got where rumors and all that jazz last year but I think the Wii U is Nintendo secret console, we still don't even know about the Virtual Console yet, we learned about the Virtual Console for Wii at E3 2005, it's August 2012 and we still don't know about the Wii U's Virtual Console.

We dont know much about online besides it works at this point lol

EA's support is tepid at best. Come on. They are showing very little confidence in the platform, both in their public statements and unveiled software.

We're getting three launch titles from them, and not just shovelware but 3 of their biggest franchise titles. I mean heck, Madden is EA's largest franchise, period, and FIFA is their largest European franchise. And we're getting Mass Effect 3 too, which is great because in the past all they've done for launch titles has been sports games. You consider that "tepid"? Maybe compared to Ubisoft, but that's the best launch support any third party has given to a system, ever.

Roo

There was an IGN Article just last week about the spiriling game development costs if anyone is interested -

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/30/are-aaa-hardcore-games-doomed

If Retro were to make Metroid Prime 4 for $20 million for instance it would have to sell around 2 million copies to break even.

They could just use it as a reason to get people to buy the console tho i suppose.

Going on Wii software sales they should get Wii Sports 2 and Mario Kart U out as soon as possible.

there's a 3 year gap between each installment. Mario Kart 7 came out late 2011 so I'm not expecting the next one till 2014 at the earliest.

Banned
Well this sucks. I need to use my Wii U funds to pay for school and such. I won't be able to work enough t save for a Wii U until after Xmas. Maybe I can get it as a Xmas gift or something lol.

This! Starting to believe EA Origin rumor:
-showing major support at last years E3
-Moore visiting NoJ
-things go south from there
-shockingalbertos leaking details about BF3 being canned and other projects
- announcement of ME3, but no ports of first two games
-ME3 U being done by different 3rd party with more effort
-gimped madden with subpar graphics
-no sims franchise insight (Possible next year when sims 4 is announced)

schuelma

We're getting three launch titles from them, and not just shovelware but 3 of their biggest franchise titles. I mean heck, Madden is EA's largest franchise, period, and FIFA is their largest European franchise. And we're getting Mass Effect 3 too, which is great because in the past all they've done for launch titles has been sports games. You consider that "tepid"? Maybe compared to Ubisoft, but that's the best launch support any third party has given to a system, ever.

Meh. Wii launched with Madden and Need for Speed.

FIFA and Madden makes it not a complete disaster, but with all of the 2012 and first half 2013 titles to only get Mass Effect and those 2? That's a letdown in my book.

Anth0ny

there's a 3 year gap between each installment. Mario Kart 7 came out late 2011 so I'm not expecting the next one till 2014 at the earliest.

I doubt that. Nintendo is willing to release two NSMB games within 3 freaking MONTHS of eachother. We'll see Mario Kart U in 2013.

JAYinHD

Forgive me if this has been answered already but is Nintendo planning on having all of their first party titles available for download or just a select few when the Wii U launches? I would imagine a downloadable service would allow reduced cost over a long period of time by eventually decreasing cost due to packaging and shipping.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect 3 is nice but I put no value on EA porting it. It's an UE3 engine game, so porting would have been fairly painless. And EA is obsessed with making the franchise bigger. It would cost them bugger all to port the game over to Wii U.

No, afaik it sold over 1 million back in January. Maybe it is around 1.1-1.3 now. Not sure tho.

Really? Interesting.

Well all software is designed to shift hardware as well as units, so making a Metroid Prime 4 would factor in hardware growth as well. Something like Metroid Prime 4 could be used to attract a particular crowd that Mario and Zelda do not, if marketed correctly. But I also feel that Metroid won't be a truly gigantic franchise ever.

Frankly, if the Wii U sells well, Nintendo could probably invest in a Metroid Prime 4 and have it make its money back fairly easily. Actual revenue is another question entirely.

I doubt that. Nintendo is willing to release two NSMB games within 3 freaking MONTHS of eachother. We'll see Mario Kart U in 2013.

I loathe that they're releasing two side scrolling Mario games so quickly and within short succession. It reeks of desperation.

Meelow

Banned
We dont know much about online besides it works at this point lol

We don't know anything even after 2 E3's lol.

This! Starting to believe EA Origin rumor:
-showing major support at last years E3
-Moore visiting NoJ
-things go south from there
-shockingalbertos leaking details about BF3 being canned and other projects
- announcement of ME3, but no ports of first two games
-ME3 U being done by different 3rd party with more effort
-gimped madden with subpar graphics
-no sims franchise insight (Possible next year when sims 4 is announced)

If this is true I guess Nintendo will have to get on their good side again, truthfully I still see Peter Moore favoring Microsoft still.

schuelma

I loathe that they're releasing two side scrolling Mario games so quickly and within short succession. It reeks of desperation.

Yeah I think they are both born out of Nintendo saying oh shiiiiit.

NSMB U does look purdy though.

Someone had to say it.

And it's something that I entirely agree with. Still, if it helps keep sales afloat then I'm all for it.

And Skyward Sword really was their biggest budget game to date?! But it's so.... unimpressive compared to say SMG. Beyond motion controls, I got the feeling they didn't know the exact direction to take the game, or what they wanted to do with it. I suspect the entire game was restarted a couple of times.

Banned
And it's something that I entirely agree with. Still, if it helps keep sales afloat then I'm all for it.

And Skyward Sword really was their biggest budget game to date?! But it's so.... unimpressive compared to say SMG. Beyond motion controls, I got the feeling they didn't know the exact direction to take the game, or what they wanted to do with it. I suspect the entire game was restarted a couple of times.
I preferred TP's art style and level design.

EatChildren

I loved Skyward Sword, but it was obviously stuck in development hell. Nintendo's Zelda teams have awful efficiency and seem to have no real idea where they're going. They make great games (in my opinion) but are completely lacking they all encompassing vision, series evolution and creativity that a good team has. It's like they're worn out and need a break, but most likely they just need to inject some new personal into the projects to give the series a bigger creative spark, and be more daring in the directions they take it.

There needs to be less "this is our Zelda team" and more "this is the team who is making this Zelda". Circulate staff, let people flex creative muscle on multiple project styles, and encourage diversity. Else you end up with stagnation.

Yeah I think they are both born out of Nintendo saying oh shiiiiit.

NSMB U does look purdy though.

NSMB U is gorgeous, as is NSMB2. Both, I'm sure, are good games. But yeah, both stink of a company desperate to get one of their biggest legacy franchises out the gate to boost sales. NSMB2 in particular I'm pretty sure is using nothing but recycled assets from past NSMB games, and it's clear the 'gold' concept is half arsed and in no way integral to the game's formula. It's a level pack wrapped in a full game. Plays well, but nothing outstanding, original or evolutionary.

NSMBU might be depending on how the rest of the game shapes up.

TunaLover

I have high respect for Skyward Sword, even when it's not my prefered Zelda game, just because the flawless and elegant use of Wiimotion+

AniHawk

the new director's input was definitely felt. the design of the dungeons was very unique for the series, and now that it's nearing a year since its release, i'm interested in checking it out again on hero mode.

the best part was that final dungeon. boy the treasure you get in that game was such a fantastic decision, and the whole way that was done was actually brilliant.

the one thing skyward sword lacked was new, creative puzzles. there were maybe a couple that threw me, but the motion controls were unfortunately used just for combat.

there's part of me that says i don't actually like it as much as i say i do, but i think i'm missing something that needs another playthrough. it has something that keeps it in my mind and i'm not sure what.

AniHawk

with regards to nsmb, i think the plan was to always have nsmbu be a launch game. they sorta telegraphed that one far in advance. nsmb2 is the real desperation move, along with having the 3ds xl alongside for a relaunch of the device outside of japan.

...especially since nsmbu has all the veterans and nsmb2 has all the newbies.

Sadist

Circulate staff, let people flex creative muscle on multiple project styles, and encourage diversity. Else you end up with stagnation.
They kind of did this with Skyward Sword. Didn't the "main" Zelda team disband after completing Twilight Princess? The message during their time away from the Zelda-series was "well guys, work on other games within Nintendo and come back after a while. See if you came up with some neat ideas." Wii Sports Resort helped obviously with sword combat in Skyward Sword. And it might not be a lot, but I feel Skyward Sword was the first step in the right direction. Yeah, there are some features which were kind of sucky like the overworld for instance, but I thought the dungeon design for instance felt fresh again. During Skyward Sword I actually had a moment where I was stuck in a Zelda game. Can't remember the last time that happened to me. Certainly not in Twilight Princess, which was a breeze.

Honestly, I believe the Zelda games are one of the few where the development team actually listens to the fans. To be frank, at times the Zelda fanbase is huge pile of flaming doodoo. It's so diverse and opinions are all over the place. It's been 14 years since OoT and a lot of fans still cling to this formula as the perfect Zelda experience. While OoT is a fantastic game, we need to move on but several fans just don't want to. Even if they receive such a game it's all to familiar. I despise those discussions.

I kinda wish EAD Zelda team would just flip off the fanbase and throw out the concept of OoT: keep the green, the shield and the sword and make something that will blow our minds. Have a '98 moment mixed with how Retro Studios changed the Metroid series with Prime. But I'm asking for too much I guess.

with regards to nsmb, i think the plan was to always have nsmbu be a launch game. they sorta telegraphed that one far in advance. nsmb2 is the real desperation move, along with having the 3ds xl alongside for a relaunch of the device outside of japan.

Huh, that's how I think about it as well. I don't feel its necessary to release two (albeit different) Mario platformers within a year for 3DS. Nintendo should have pushed Gamefreak into making the next Pokémon RPG. Or they should have waited with either Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D land.

EatChildren

The dungeons were absolutely the best part, and I agree that Fujibayashi's influence can be felt. In a positive light, mind you.

It's the general cohesion of the overworld with questing and the game itself from moment-to-moment that I felt was disjointed and organised. Certain quests were completely unnecessary and unenjoyable padding, and felt as if Nintendo thought there was a necessity to lengthen the game beyond the original scope. In terms of creativity and interesting twists on familiar mechanics, Skyward Sword as incredible, and I don't think many, if any, of the ideas in the game were downright terrible. Moreso that some of the execution was questionable.

Like the whole sky overworld. I seriously loved it, and to me flying around Skyloft was just the kick in the pants the series needed. But at the same time, the hardware limitations of the Wii showed through, and the concept wasn't expanded on as much as it should have been. Honestly I would have liked to see them almost completely abandon the concept of the underworld beyond certain dungeons, and instead establish the entire game in the sky. Similra to Wind Waker's vast ocean, build an overworld full of towns, explorable areas and dungeons based around vertical exploration and interactivity, as well as scale. Zelda is such a horizontal game when it comes to exploration, where as the full 3D navigation of Skyloft had potential to expand upon that.

They kind of did this with Skyward Sword. Didn't the "main" Zelda team disband after completing Twilight Princess? The message during their time away from the Zelda-series was "well guys, work on other games within Nintendo and come back after a while. See if you came up with some neat ideas."

---

I kinda wish EAD Zelda team would just flip off the fanbase and throw out the concept of OoT: keep the green, the shield and the sword and make something that will blow our minds. Have a '98 moment mixed with how Retro Studios changed the Metroid series with Prime. But I'm asking to much I guess.

I was under the impression that there as a primary console team, and a primary handheld team for the Zeldas, and for Skyward Sword they mixed the teams up a bit.

And yeah, the hardcore vocal Zelda fans are repulsive, much like similar fans for other franchises. It's either too different or too similar. Nintendo needs to do exactly that: say fuck Ocarina of Time, fuck the established formula, and go in with their heads held high with whatever crazy, creative and ambitious design they feel will better the series.

schuelma

Yeah agreed.

AniHawk

The dungeons were absolutely the best part, and I agree that Fujibayashi's influence can be felt. In a positive light, mind you.

It's the general cohesion of the overworld with questing and the game itself from moment-to-moment that I felt was disjointed and organised. Certain quests were completely unnecessary and unenjoyable padding, and felt as if Nintendo thought there was a necessity to lengthen the game beyond the original scope. In terms of creativity and interesting twists on familiar mechanics, Skyward Sword as incredible, and I don't think many, if any, of the ideas in the game were downright terrible. Moreso that some of the execution was questionable.

Like the whole sky overworld. I seriously loved it, and to me flying around Skyloft was just the kick in the pants the series needed. But at the same time, the hardware limitations of the Wii showed through, and the concept wasn't expanded on as much as it should have been. Honestly I would have liked to see them almost completely abandon the concept of the underworld beyond certain dungeons, and instead establish the entire game in the sky. Similra to Wind Waker's vast ocean, build an overworld full of towns, explorable areas and dungeons based around vertical exploration and interactivity, as well as scale. Zelda is such a horizontal game when it comes to exploration, where as the full 3D navigation of Skyloft had potential to expand upon that.

i'm going to jump on the bandwagon now that i've played xenoblade, and suggest that monolithsoft have some serious input on the design of the overworld for the next game.

the structure of skyward sword is interesting, because it's nintendo doing what they used to do safely in other games like the mario games or stuff like nintendo land where there's a hub that you select the levels from. hyrule and termina never felt like that, so seeing it in zelda was pretty strange. i think it's what throws people the most.

I was under the impression that there as a primary console team, and a primary handheld team for the Zeldas, and for Skyward Sword they mixed the teams up a bit.

well skyward sword was going to be twilight princess 2 at some point until eguchi, i think, did wii sports resort and told a jaded aonume wii motion + could be done in zelda.

Do anyone else hope that Wii U has an actual startup sequence unlike the Wii? I always hated the warning message that shows up when you turn the console on.

Will the 'mass market' be able to tell that NSMB U is not the same game as NSMB 2, esp so close after release.

They should keep NSMB U for Jan / Feb 2013 for this very reason imo and go with Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3 and ZombiU as the three most advertised launch day games.

Meelow

Banned
Do anyone else hope that Wii U has an actual startup sequence unlike the Wii? I always hated the warning message that shows up when you turn the console on.

YES!, I was annoyed that the Wii didn't get one and even the PS3 got nothing great, the Xbox 360 was the best one, if Nintendo can make the Wii U start up as epic as the GameCube one I am happy.

Have said it before in the old WUST's but i think a few of the big Nintendo IP's need a complete reboot with Mario Kart and Zelda being the two most in need of an extreme 'shake up'.

schuelma

Will the 'mass market' be able to tell that NSMB U is not the same game as NSMB 2, esp so close after release.

They should keep NSMB U for Jan / Feb 2013 for this very reason imo and go with Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3 and ZombiU as the three most advertised launch day games.

That would be incredibly dumb. Nintendo's entire point in developing NSMB U is to have a system seller day 1.

Pineconn

Thank god, the motion controls in SS were awful

You're hilarious.

In all honesty, as much as I loved the controls in SS, I'd be okay if they dropped them for the next Zelda game as long as it shuts up the haters. Of which there are quite a few.

Donnie

Prime is another series that would likely cost a fortune to make with the graphical standards expected of the Wii U's hardware.

The total lack of any voice acting or FMV sequences would at least help to keep costs down in comparison to the other big franchises.

AniHawk

That would be incredibly dumb. Nintendo's entire point in developing NSMB U is to have a system seller day 1.

yeah, if they were scheduling their software as system sellers, black 2 and white 2 should have been 3ds exclusive (and this year's big holiday game or this year's big relaunch game), and nsmb2 would hit sometime next year, giving nsmbu some time to shine.

my expectation for the wii u is that nsmbu won't do what people expect it to, and for the system to struggle to hit 200k a month in the us and japan (much like the early 3ds).

EatChildren

The mass market will see the difference just fine, but I'm not sure they'll care as much. Both games are a case of "we want to shift units, so lets ship a hardware moving game". The market wants NSMB, but I'm not sure the market is desperate for two NSMB titles released in short succession.

The total lack of any voice acting or FMV sequences would at least help to keep costs down in comparison to the other big franchises.

That's true. It's mostly the crazy variety of assets in Prime that would hike production costs.

Sadist

i'm going to jump on the bandwagon now that i've played xenoblade, and suggest that monolithsoft have some serious input on the design of the overworld for the next game.
Oh god yes.

well skyward sword was going to be twilight princess 2 at some point until eguchi, i think, did wii sports resort and told a jaded aonume wii motion + could be done in zelda.
That's what I read as well regarding Skyward Sword development.

Donnie

It sounds like you are crossing the texture cache with the frame buffer. In Flipper/Hollywood they both consisted of 1T-SRAM, were both on die, and separate. And in Hollywood the main 1T-SRAM from GC had been moved onto the chip with with the GPU. How it sounds with Wii U to me is that the eDRAM will be like Xenos and Hollywood in that it's a separate chip on the module with the GPU. Continuing in my view it won't be like Xenos in that it will not be locked into only being a framebuffer and it won't be like Hollywood as the there won't be an on-die framebuffer. So what will be interesting for me is how the caching is designed in GPU7. Because like I mentioned when we last discussed it, F/H had more TC than cache memory in even modern, high-end GPUs. So I wonder if they took steps to maintain a high amount of cache in GPU7.

What reason is there to believe the eDRAM in GPU7 will be on package rather than on-chip? Has someone actually said that to you or are you making an assumption based on some piece of info I've missed?

Anth0ny

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/06/07/e3-nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto/

Miyamoto in June 2012 said:
With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren’t able to do that or didn’t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it. So we’re in the phase where we’re looking back at what’s worked very well and what has been missing and how can we evolve it further.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom