• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
my expectation for the wii u is that nsmbu won't do what people expect it to, and for the system to struggle to hit 200k a month in the us and japan (much like the early 3ds).

I think it will have a much bigger impact in Japan. We'll see though.

That would be incredibly dumb. Nintendo's entire point in developing NSMB U is to have a system seller day 1.

As rabid as Nintendo and even NSMB fans are i think Nintendo are making a huge mistake releasing two games from the series in the space of 3 months, esp expecting them both to shift hardware.

I couldn't believe my ears when i heard the 3DS XL was being released such a small time frame before Wii U, it has the potential to canabalize the Wii U hardware and software sales imo.

How many people have enough money in this economy to buy both a 3DS XL, NSMB 2, a Wii U and NSMB U in the space of three months, i doubt many, esp the mass market audience Nintendo seem to be targeting with Wii U launch software.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
As rabid as Nintendo and even NSMB fans are i think Nintendo are making a huge mistake releasing two games from the series in the space of 3 months, esp expecting them both to shift hardware.

I couldn't believe my ears when i heard the 3DS XL was being released such a small time frame before Wii U, it has the potential to canabalize the Wii U hardware and software sales imo.

How many people have enough money in this economy to buy both a 3DS XL, NSMB 2, a Wii U and NSMB U in the space of three months, i doubt many, esp the mass market audience Nintendo seem to be targeting with Wii U launch software.

I just don't think that will be a significant factor. Wii and DS both excelled for years alongside each other.

I doubt that. Nintendo is willing to release two NSMB games within 3 freaking MONTHS of eachother. We'll see Mario Kart U in 2013.
Agreed. I see Nintendo treating WiiU like 3DS in terms of first party support. If so Id be so happy. The 3DS has been getting great after great game non stop since december last year.

Donnie

The mass market will see the difference just fine, but I'm not sure they'll care as much. Both games are a case of "we want to shift units, so lets ship a hardware moving game". The market wants NSMB, but I'm not sure the market is desperate for two NSMB titles released in short succession.

That's true. It's mostly the crazy variety of assets in Prime that would hike production costs.

Yeah its easily the most likely candidate Nintendo have for a really big budget title. Closely followed by Zelda if they go with something based on the E3 demo (hopefully :))

The thing about the mass market, though, is that it's such a large potential audience. Even if some people decide to go the 3DS XL route, there's still plenty more left who didn't buy anything and can still purchase a Wii U. I think the real problem for Nintendo is the possibility that people will simply get tired of the NSMB formula.

The thing about the mass market, though, is that it's such a large potential audience. Even if some people decide to go the 3DS XL route, there's still plenty more left who didn't buy anything and can still purchase a Wii U. I think the real problem for Nintendo is the possibility that people will simply get tired of the NSMB formula.
This might be true in begining..but NSMBU is a console lifetime selling game. Itll prolly hit 20+ million by the end off WiiUs life span.

This might be true in beginning..but NSMBU is a console lifetime selling game. It'll probably hit 20+ million by the end off WiiUs life span.

I'm sure it'll be a lifetime seller, it's not like Nintendo are milking the franchise to Activision levels. It'll be hard to match the DS and Wii versions. They were both hardware-shifters, but they were also buoyed by being attached to consoles that were already extremely successful.

I'm sure it'll be a lifetime seller, it's not like Nintendo are milking the franchise to Activision levels. It'll be hard to match the DS and Wii versions. They were both hardware-shifters, but they were also buoyed by being attached to consoles that were already extremely successful.
From here on out itll be like that from every Nintendo console. The Wii and DS has had so much success that people who dont follow Nintendo think that any thing less than was Nintendo being lucky with DS and Wii, and that everything else is a failure if it fails to meet Wii DS numbers.

chris3116

3DS and Wii U are 2 Nintendo hardware platforms that are on 2 different markets. You think that people have to buy both? I don't think so.

NSMBU will be a system seller. Nintendo has to make sure they are both different enough.

Sadist

Because Nintendo is not expecting their target audience will buy both:

Wii U in it's first year will be for fans, gadget freaks and people who like to buy consoles at launch. Small audience in general. The only exception to the rule was Wii, where everyone wanted the damn thing. I was lucky I got one in 2006.

Heat is the usual reason to downclock hardware. Heat can damage components and decrease stability, which is the absolute last thing you want in a closed hardware environment. Nintendo is extremely cautious about product reliability, and I could totally see them pulling back on hardware components if they felt there was any risk of heat and stability issues popping up.

Relying on the GPU is a bit crazy, but kinda understandable in a crazy logic given the compute support. But these are all maybes and speculation, a lot of which unfounded. We simply don't know what the hardware can and cannot do, nor how efficient it is. Maybe the CPU is terrible, maybe it's manageable. Maybe they are indeed relying on the GPU compute functions, but maybe the compute functions are poor or the GPU too is poorly clocked. Or maybe the GPU is great. Or maybe nothing is wrong. We just don't know.

Personally, I fully believe there is some kind of architectural 'issue' developers are facing with the Wii U, relative to the 360/PS3. If they wasn't, we/I wouldn't have reports of teams facing issues. This doesn't mean the issues are fixable or without solutions, but it does mean issues exist, issues that likely will not be evident in both Sony and Microsoft's next generation machines (in terms of porting current gen titles).

I just have trouble believing there is this much trouble with the CPU porting games from systems 6-7 years old. I know there are good explanations that have been discussed such as, code optimized for the current gen CPU's, Wii U's GPGPU, etc.... One thing I was curious about is it possible Nintendo opens up extra CPU power that was originally set aside for the OS, System features, etc....? Is there any reason that the actual system will feature a CPU that is actually more powerful then what is in the Dev Kits which would fix these "architectural issues" we/you have heard about?

Also, isn't a game like AC3 pushing PS360 pretty close to any game to this point? If Wii U can run it is it a matter of some dev "figuring out the hardware" sooner than others?

To be clear, I'll be picking one up most likely based off the Gamepad, Exclusives, etc... I'll also be buying either PS4/Nextbox also but I think it's beneficial to the game industry to have a successful Nintendo for innovation, competition, etc....

Banned
Skyward sword had brilliant dungeons and puzzle solving. Hell the flying beetle alone could be its own game. It was a fantastic weapon.

Also, of monolith could design the overworld for the next Zelda, that would be epic!

My problems with SS was the stuff that occurred outside of dungeons, like the paths to the temples, fetch quests, and lack of interesting NPC's.

Zelda Wii U having motion + controls with the tablet to be used for maps and weapon inventory (kinda like Pikmin 3) would be my preferred method but ik okay with going back to standard controls.

Hoodbury

But I also feel that Metroid won't be a truly gigantic franchise ever.

I think Metroid needs to go straight up against Halo. Meaning they need to add a huge emphasis on adding in a great online competitive multiplayer system. I know there are a lot of folk who would burn me at the stake for saying that, but if they ever want Metroid to be as big as it should, that is what it needs.

Metroid competes against Halo on the Single player part and probably to a lot of people it wins. But without the multiplayer, the HD twin people don't see it as anything to beat an eyelash at.

Nintendo fans will disagree, but I would place bets that if it got multiplayer on level with Halo/CoD it would be a 5-8 million seller on it's first Wii-U entry instead of a 1-2 million seller and only grow with each installment.

Why the hell would they be so stingy/anal/stupid to gimp their CPU? Heat? Costs? I wish they weren't so worried about those things. They seems to be a bit OCD on it all.

Relying on the GPU is mental, especially if it means you think you should gimp your CPU out of any reasonable standard of acceptability which is what it seems they have done. They could have the best of both worlds for a little more power/heat or cost.

I agree with EC and Dreamwriter in that it would be for heat and cost. I do believe Nintendo is overcompensating for heat, but even if they adjusted accordingly now you're looking at costs increasing.

And it goes back to thinking about the future and not the present if

Heat is the usual reason to downclock hardware. Heat can damage components and decrease stability, which is the absolute last thing you want in a closed hardware environment. Nintendo is extremely cautious about product reliability, and I could totally see them pulling back on hardware components if they felt there was any risk of heat and stability issues popping up.

Relying on the GPU is a bit crazy, but kinda understandable in a crazy logic given the compute support. But these are all maybes and speculation, a lot of which unfounded. We simply don't know what the hardware can and cannot do, nor how efficient it is. Maybe the CPU is terrible, maybe it's manageable. Maybe they are indeed relying on the GPU compute functions, but maybe the compute functions are poor or the GPU too is poorly clocked. Or maybe the GPU is great. Or maybe nothing is wrong. We just don't know.

Personally, I fully believe there is some kind of architectural 'issue' developers are facing with the Wii U, relative to the 360/PS3. If they wasn't, we/I wouldn't have reports of teams facing issues. This doesn't mean the issues are fixable or without solutions, but it does mean issues exist, issues that likely will not be evident in both Sony and Microsoft's next generation machines (in terms of porting current gen titles).

Yeah. For even Iwata to mention "slightly different architecture" suggests there is something going on. I don't see him feeling the need to say so in comparison to PS360 if there was no issue. AMD probably promoted what they felt were benefits to emphasizing computing on the GPU. It's still weird to me that the "full" target specs mention compute shaders which as we know is a DX11 component unless there that was an attempt on Nintendo's part

Not confusing them. The way I understand it is this: Flipper has access to both the texture cache and frame buffer at 6.2 ns. It would be hard for an off-die cache to achieve this. If you give me examples, I'd be interested to read. Further, the texture cache in particular is 64kb wide, reducing the necessary amount of page switches and thereby reducing the total latency. Looking at the setup for this supposed RV770 spin off, AMD don't seem to give particulars of their cache, but it's unlikely there's access to 64 out of around 128 total L1 texture cache at once.

So now we're looking at fattening the total SRAM cache, which seems expensive in both cost and transistors. With the CPU, it looks as if Nintendo are shying away from SRAM, going so far as to not use it for CPU L2. So perhaps they replaced the GPU L2 with eDRAM, which is something we haven't heard, as opposed to the unified 32 MB framebuffer. Or they've just struck the L2 cache from the GPU, maybe fattened the L1 caches to 32 kb SRAM each, and gotten the eDRAM on there, Power7 style. There is that talk of a "blank substrate" SoC going on with the 360 CPU so I don' think it's outside the realm of possibility IBM and AMD worked that closely together. I don't see much point in the small CPU being able to access the eDRAM, when its own L2 is quite nice and the latency would probably be just as bad as to main memory. It seems it would be much more useful for gpu physics and gpu compute functions in addition to framebuffer. And there's definitely more to use than as just a framebuffer. In Xenos, only the ROPS had high bandwidth access to the eDRAM, as they were on the same chip. Increasing the bus between chips to make it much more beneficial than main memory would probably start getting pricey.

That is info that has been tough to find even in past searches. POWER6 is older than what I'd like to use as a reference, though there wasn't really much I could find when I used to look. This time around I looked more at that L4 cache of the z196, but not much there either. That said considering GC's 1T-SRAM main memory even had a ~10ns latency, I'd like to believe Nintendo would have a design that could surpass an appox. 12-year old design. I've seen that IBM's eDRAM is supposed to have less than 2ns latency, but I think there is a lack of info as to what that means exactly. Also at 32MB that would put the size of that chunk of memory at ~67mm^2. I don't see them putting that on-die.

EDIT: Correction. I was still using 45nm measurements. 32nm eDRAM is supposedly 11Mbit/mm^2 so that would put it at ~23mm^2. I guess that's manageable, but I still see them having it on the module instead of on-die. But of course that's my take at least.

Ryoku

I think Metroid needs to go straight up against Halo. Meaning they need to add a huge emphasis on adding in a great online competitive multiplayer system. I know there are a lot of folk who would burn me at the stake for saying that, but if they ever want Metroid to be as big as it should, that is what it needs.

Metroid competes against Halo on the Single player part and probably to a lot of people it wins. But without the multiplayer, the HD twin people don't see it as anything to beat an eyelash at.

Nintendo fans will disagree, but I would place bets that if it got multiplayer on level with Halo/CoD it would be a 5-8 million seller on it's first Wii-U entry instead of a 1-2 million seller and only grow with each installment.

I could see Metroid being the Halo of Nintendo. I agree that in order for it to grow, it needs a deep, engrossing multiplayer experience.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only way I want to see Metroid go against Halo is if they follow the Halo 4 model (and Halo 4 is already looking REALLY Metroid Prime-ish in terms of stylization...).

Do not fuck with primary Samus concept of exploration / platforming. Do not have multiplayer involve Samus in any way. No 16 Chozo Power Suits running around in deathmatch.

Instead bring in the Federation space navy and have a detachment of marines be the multiplayer and co-op characters who are on their own parallel missions. Essentially like the Infinity in Halo 4. This also creates an excuse to not try and work in power suit gameplay like the morphball if it doesn't fit. The marines aren't Samus and don't have all the same gear. But they could have variations of it, such as weapons that the Federation has reverse engineered from Chozo ruins.

Effect

I can't help but agree with this. The quality is there but features are not. Thing is I don't think Nintendo internally would be willing to do it (not that they aren't capable). It would take Nintendo allowing Retro to do it or having a 3rd party developer take over development using Metroid Prime as a base to work off of. At least for the multiplayer component. However I don't see Nintendo allowing this.

One it wouldn't do well with the Japanese customers and they make decisions first and foremost with that in mind. However with Metroid perhaps they've learned their lesson with Metroid Other M and understand why the Metroid Prime series did so well in comparison (developed by a western team and aimed mainly at the non-Japanese market. They went away from that after the Prime series was done and there is no telling they'd allow it again.). That's assuming they learned the right lessons from Other M's failure which I really doubt. Two they'd have to be willing to allow a game based on an core Nintendo IP to be developed in such a way that it would and could go against their games for everyone design. In order for it to be Nintendo's Halo and get the sales numbers similar (Metroid needs to be treated differently then Mario and even Zelda I think) it needs to not be aimed at certain people. If they want to try it fine but it can't be tailored to them.

japtor

This! Starting to believe EA Origin rumor:
-showing major support at last years E3
-Moore visiting NoJ
-things go south from there
-shockingalbertos leaking details about BF3 being canned and other projects
- announcement of ME3, but no ports of first two games
-ME3 U being done by different 3rd party with more effort
-gimped madden with subpar graphics
-no sims franchise insight (Possible next year when sims 4 is announced)
The problem with the rumor is that it's implying that the initial "unprecedented" relationship is based on the outcome of the offer in the future that hasn't happened yet. That and I don't see Nintendo going to EA for network help in the first place.
there's a 3 year gap between each installment. Mario Kart 7 came out late 2011 so I'm not expecting the next one till 2014 at the earliest.
2 years between GBA, GC, and DS releases, then 3 between DS, Wii, and 3DS. Going back to 2 years would be 2013. If you go with just the console releases it's 5 years between the last two releases, another 5 years would also be 2013.
Do anyone else hope that Wii U has an actual startup sequence unlike the Wii? I always hated the warning message that shows up when you turn the console on.
They got around that in the 3DS by sticking the safety thing in as a separate app. And the Wii did have that a startup sequence...it was just really brief and plain.
Will the 'mass market' be able to tell that NSMB U is not the same game as NSMB 2, esp so close after release.

They should keep NSMB U for Jan / Feb 2013 for this very reason imo and go with Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3 and ZombiU as the three most advertised launch day games.
Does NSMBU have the Miis in it from the old E3 showing? If so there's your difference maker! Make a cheesy commercial with people transforming into similar looking Miis and joining Mario in the game.
The only way I want to see Metroid go against Halo is if they follow the Halo 4 model (and Halo 4 is already looking REALLY Metroid Prime-ish in terms of stylization...).

Do not fuck with primary Samus concept of exploration / platforming. Do not have multiplayer involve Samus in any way. No 16 Chozo Power Suits running around in deathmatch.

Instead bring in the Federation space navy and have a detachment of marines be the multiplayer and co-op characters who are on their own parallel missions. Essentially like the Infinity in Halo 4. This also creates an excuse to not try and work in power suit gameplay like the morphball if it doesn't fit. The marines aren't Samus and don't have all the same gear. But they could have variations of it, such as weapons that the Federation has reverse engineered from Chozo ruins.
Free to play Metroid Prime Hunters: Federation vs Space Pirates, bonus tie ins/items when you buy Aliens: Colonial Marines or any other random game that can add in stuff.

630778833.jpg

game of the show

brainpann

630778833.jpg

game of the show

Tru dat! I wanted soooo much more time with it. Day 1 buy.

BTW, I noticed some depth of field ( am i using this right?) being used in the background while playing. It wasn't super noticeable because of the way the camera being position right on the action at all times, but it is there.

Effect

This! Starting to believe EA Origin rumor:
-showing major support at last years E3
-Moore visiting NoJ
-things go south from there
-shockingalbertos leaking details about BF3 being canned and other projects
- announcement of ME3, but no ports of first two games
-ME3 U being done by different 3rd party with more effort
-gimped madden with subpar graphics
-no sims franchise insight (Possible next year when sims 4 is announced)

I have no doubt EA will be phoning it in, clearly they are now. I expected that from the start even with that E3 2011 showing. I felt at the time it was all talk until games started appearing. Third party developers/publishers have talked a good game before and I wasn't about to fall for it again. I wanted to be proven wrong but don't think that's happen or will happen. EA can have their "wait and see" approach. I'll wait and see myself in turn when it comes to their games. I won't be hoping they put out any games though. I'll spend money on games from companies that are are supporting the system and putting out full featured games for me to buy (that shows me they aren't trying to take advantage by trying to pass off crap).

Ubisoft on the other hand is a company I hope has success. I'm honestly interested in ZombiU and I'm willing to give AC3 a shot.

jacksrb

Enjoying the conversation about games. A few thoughts:

1 - On Skyward Sword - I feel like the team is doing a nice job of continuing to make 'Zelda' games but still making them different enough that everyone has strong reactions to those changes (both positive and negative). Strictly iterative design leads to a three game arc like Uncharted that can produce great games but can be too similar. I loved the dungeons and combat of Skyward Sword, but missed the exploration feeling of the world.

2 - On the NSMBs - I cannot fault Nintendo for giving the world more of what they want - they are two of the best selling games in forever. It is smart, not desperate, to launch along side Wii U and is a nice release for keeping the 3DS train rolling. I agree that I am not "excited" for either but for the people for whom Pikmin is too obtuse, it is a nice alternative.

deviljho

I don't understand how people get that as him saying that they'll drop motion controls. He says they want to evolve them? Most probably they will drop it for shit like goddamn swimming, but keep it for combat.

He is saying that they have to find ways for the "hardcore" games like Zelda to be more accessible to a wider audience. I read that as watering down mechanics to sell more copies, but, whatever.

The slightly different architecture was in reference to the Wii U's potential, as in devs wont have to spend 6 years to fully understand the hardware because the environment isn't too foreign to what they're use to. It's no different to when Team Ninja alluded a similar thing before.

You need to read that again. That's not what Iwata was saying at all.

JordanN

Banned
You need to read that again. That's not what Iwata was saying at all.
Ok, I re-read it and it wasn't talking about dev time.

Still, I'm not seeing any vibes of 'weaker than average parts' despite the architecture being different (which has been vague to this point).

I don't understand how people get that as him saying that they'll drop motion controls. He says they want to evolve them? Most probably they will drop it for shit like goddamn swimming, but keep it for combat.
I always took that as meaning it won't rely to much on Motion+ for everything. Use the IR pointer for the bow and what not while keeping swordplay the same.

Pineconn

I thought that MotionPlus fixed swimming: you had total control in the water. I can't believe there wasn't a swimming mini-game in the underused Lake Floria.

What reason is there to believe the eDRAM in GPU7 will be on package rather than on-chip? Has someone actually said that to you or are you making an assumption based on some piece of info I've missed?

Sorry I completely missed this. This is based on speculation when looking at Xenos, Hollywood, and eDRAM size at 32MB.

Ok, I re-read it and it wasn't talking about dev time.

Still, I'm not seeing any vibes of 'weaker than average parts' despite the architecture being different (which has been vague to this point).

We were talking about the architecture not dev time in those posts, though that does affect it. And where are you getting the "weaker" part from when that wasn't a part of the discussion?

Iwata was saying that devs have had six years to learn the other hardware (PS360), not "devs wont have to spend 6 years to fully understand the hardware because the environment isn't too foreign to what they're use to." He's saying that devs are only using half of Wii U's potential and the slightly different architecture is a part of the reason why.

I thought that MotionPlus fixed swimming: you had total control in the water. I can't believe there wasn't a swimming mini-game in the underused Lake Floria.

It was unnecessary and not natural like swinging for sword slashing. Just like many other actions that required motion outside of combat and certain items. Swimming also worked in Majoras Mask in a similar way.

AzaK

I agree. If next generation engines are compute heavy it should be theoretically less of a problem than porting current gen engines, but it's still a whole bundle of maybes and speculation, none of which particularly reliable. There's absolutely some difficulty with the hardware though, and if leaks are correct then it's the CPU. Which is pretty dumb.

Yeah I do think that the GPGPU stuff in the Wii U will set them in good stead but they could have had GPGPU AND a good CPU.

In what way did EA's support for Wii U "take a hit"? The Wii U is getting some of EA's biggest franchises right at launch.

If they did so it's probably cost. When you're as big as Nintendo you have to think about the long-term impact of costs - you know what kept the Wii from rendering natively to HD resolutions, like the original XBox did? Probably $5 worth of video RAM. But guess what, by the end of the Wii's lifetime that decision will have gained Nintendo $500 million in extra profits.

Sure but how much did Nintendo end up losing in money from software that just didn't appear on their systems? This is the sort of concern I have if the CPU sucks.

NOTE: In no way am I suggesting that a gimped Wii U CPU will result in the same disaster as the Wii wrt third parties.

JordanN

Banned
We were talking about the architecture not dev time in those posts, though that does affect it. And where are you getting the "weaker" part from when that wasn't a part of the discussion?

Iwata was saying that devs have had six years to learn the other hardware (PS360), not "devs wont have to spend 6 years to fully understand the hardware because the environment isn't too foreign to what they're use to." He's saying that devs are only using half of Wii U's potential and the slightly different architecture is a part of the reason why.
It was from the post quoting eatchildren although I could of been interpreting the last part wrong.

I don't really understand why Nintendo cares so much about having a small console, the PS2 wasn't small and it sold 150 million so people really don't care about how big a console is.

I don't think nintendo cares either. The nes was fucking huge and all their consoles afterwards were appropriately sized for the tech inside them.

jmizzal

I really think the Aug. Nintendo Direct will have some new info on WiiU games we know about and prob more on online and VC.

Then the Sept Conf. will be full launch details, Date, Price, whats in the Box, then Japanese support and final launch window games. Then the first look at some 2013 games like Smash Bros. 3DS, Retro Studios game, and some other 3rd party games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom