• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned
That's an entire other bag of insanity we have to deal with there.

Lol yeah.

I don't think nintendo cares either. The nes was fucking huge and all their consoles afterwards were appropriately sized for the tech inside them.

I'm just saying if Nintendo put a weaker CPU in because they want a small console design than that's stupid.

I really think the Aug. Nintendo Direct will have some new info on WiiU games we know about and prob more on online and VC.

Then the Sept Conf. will be full launch details, Date, Price, whats in the Box, then Japanese support and final launch window games. Then the first look at some 2013 games like Smash Bros. 3DS, Retro Studios game, and some other 3rd party games.

I could imagine them announcing more launch window games at Nintendo Direct with everything else you said and how to use the Wii U menu.

And the Fall Conference will be like what you said 2013 games, release date announcement, etc.

Drago

August ND (for NA at least) will probably be 3DS game dates and maybe a new game reveal with a Holiday game showcase, final Wii titles showcase, and some minor WiiU information, mostly saying 'wait for Sept. Conference for more info.' Wildcard guess for me would be 3DS accounts or major update. The JP and EU ND's will be better.

That is what I think.

I may be the minority here, but I hate the SS controls... I finished the game out of spite more than anything else... I'm in the camp holding onto hope for a return to form (and southpaw) of the Zelda series. Motion+ was a nice try, I'll give them an A for effort, but ultimately more of a distraction than anything else. I think Nintendo realized this as well. Why would they spend so much money designing a new input otherwise.

I'm just saying if Nintendo put a weaker CPU in because they want a small console design than that's stupid.

I think it may have to do more with the ruling opinion on energy consumption in Japan. People there liked products that were not wasteful before Fukushima, but definitely now they want the lowest power consumption possible on everything. Maybe the size of the console reflects on the prevailing philosophy on power consumption. They went for a certain power consumption goal and it just so happened to be that size.

Meelow

Banned
I think it may have to do more with the ruling opinion on energy consumption in Japan. People there liked products that were not wasteful before Fukushima, but definitely now they want the lowest power consumption possible on everything.

Well it seems like Sony doesn't care about that lol.

Well it seems like Sony doesn't care about that lol.

lol,,,well there are those horrible leaked photos of PS3 slimmer. Maybe they are trying to save energy by making it a manual top loader, and implementing the grid on top so it can double as a grill. :p That saves energy right?

Pineconn

I may be the minority here, but I hate the SS controls... I finished the game out of spite more than anything else... I'm in the camp holding onto hope for a return to form (and southpaw) of the Zelda series. Motion+ was a nice try, I'll give them an A for effort, but ultimately more of a distraction than anything else. I think Nintendo realized this as well. Why would they spend so much money designing a new input otherwise.

Well, the controls require some degree of coordination. I know some people who claimed they did one thing, but in reality did another (and happens to be what Link did).

Meh.

Meelow

Banned
lol,,,well there are those horrible leaked photos of PS3 slimmer. Maybe they are trying to save energy by making it a manual top loader, and implementing the grid on top so it can double as a grill. :p That saves energy right?

That's true.

My predictions for Aug Nintendo Direct:

SE 25th anniversary game announcements for 3ds/wiiu (FF13-3 Wiiu+collection set/FF spinoff)
Final Fantasy Legends and FF 1-6 VC
SMT 4 trailer and gameplay footage
Persona teaser
random game we wont get
random game we wont get 2
release dates
DQX DLC detailsann
major third party announcement(s)

That would be amazing lol, other than the random game we won't get and DQX DLC I'd be happy if that was the Nintendo Direct with of course VC announcement.

SE 25th anniversary game announcements for 3ds/wiiu (FF13-3 Wiiu+collection set/FF spinoff)
Persona teaser
random game we wont get
release dates
DQX DLC details

jmizzal

One thing I really love about the WiiU is not having to pause the game for a map, i'm a very map dependent gamer and having to stop the game to look at the map slows things down, now no more of that with WiiU :), just look down real quick and im good.

I like how in Star Wars The Old Republic MMO you can have the map up while you walk and its transparent but WiiU pad is a way better solution.

donny2112

Persona teaser
random game we wont get
release dates
DQX DLC details

No Wii U stuff. Saving that for September conference. Probably a lot of info on Animal Crossing: Jump Out, since so little is known about it, and it's their big game for the Fall in Japan. With the 3DSXL out across the world, at that point, hopefully they'll have announcements of 3-D movies coming to the system (downloadable, preferrably). If they have anything Wii-related, it'd probably have to be DQX DLC, yeah.

I like how in Star Wars The Old Republic MMO you can have the map up while you walk and its transparent

Turok, too.

I think I'm going to play a videogame.

It will probably be either Mass Effect 1 or 2.

Aside from Mirror's Edge and NSMBWii the only games I can play over and over this gen.

It's kind of weird. Usually dozens hook me. And I have dozens of games. But only three of them have lasted. Yogurt in a hot summer sun.

Stewox

Banned
Aha got it
Carmack wishes to deploy Doom3 BFG on WiiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk&feature=player_detailpage#t=719s

But it won't happen soon apparently all because of the Doom4 being the main company goal and all resources have been pulled for other stuff to Doom 4. No hint about if Doom 4 will be on WiiU. He only said "where it wouldn't be necessairly the case for idtech5" ... that would be Vita, and mobile stuff but not WiiU. That leaves Doom4 WiiU is still open to speculation.

Basically, they may align their plans if maybe there's a lot of people pressuring:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/193-doom-3-bfg-edition/

Someone make a wiiu thread, i don't have time right now ... later

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Carmack would put Doom 4 on a calculator if Bethesda gave him free reign.

Stewox

Banned
Bethesda? Don't you mean ZeniMax?

Yeah Id doesn't get any commands from Bethesda , but Zenimax instead which are mostly high-level business decisions for example locking IDTech5 from being licensed which is a good thing, Carmack never liked licensing of his engines but the royalties were so huge they just did it and most people don't have any clue they're getting all the technology royalties for ALL call of duties out there, but overall they're pretty much free to do stuff, but because of Rage thing they got Zenimax to push them to do Doom4 before doing anything else, so Rage 2 will come after Doom4, they're also taking steps for Doom4 to get out faster because they have a lot of people and don't want to change the dev pipeline too much, and they also constantly develop better internal tools to improve iteration time.

Bethesda Publishing only manages marketing. There is no ties with Bethesda Game Studio that makes Fallout and Skyrim.

daakusedo

If nintendo drops this idea overworld has to be more straightforward, then like twilight princess to skyward sword, everything that will make the next Zelda game is foreshadowed in SS.
That's why I bet it will take clue from the sea sand part where you have four areas offering a lot of different things to do, traveling without much interruption if not the short loading for leaving the boat.

So for the next game, that would be an overworld more akin to the past 3d Zelda with every dungeons and gameplay areas well integrated and visible like in skyward sword keeping the density for this game and toning it down a bit with being able to travel more freely.

I found paradoxal how SS is segmented and stop the game when you collect items or activate a mechanism and in the same time integrate well overworld and dungeons and bring things like changing weapons on the fly or the chronoliths changing area in real time like in the pirate mini dungeon.

Donnie

Yeah I do think that the GPGPU stuff in the Wii U will set them in good stead but they could have had GPGPU AND a good CPU.

Well architecturally the CPU could also set them in good stead since its design seems much more in-line with other next gen console CPU's. Which is almost certainly why some developers have had problems with porting code from current gen. Optimised code for one kind of CPU can be unoptimised to another kind and WiiU's CPU doesn't have the raw power to overcome that. But that isn't indicative of how well the CPU can handle code from other next gen console CPU's. For instance Nintendo could have used something exactly like Xenon and no developer would have any problem porting 360/PS3 code without modification. But that certainly wouldn't be good for future titles, as next gen console CPU's are going in a different direction and Xenon would be a total fish out of water when dealing with code optimised for those kind of CPU's.

I think WiiU's design is focused on next gen development, which is certainly a good thing IMO despite it being to the detriment of some current gen porting. But I do agree that its a pity they couldn't see past the whole console size issue and hike the clocks up a bit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah I meant Zenimax, not Bethesda.

Dr.Hadji

Well, the controls require some degree of coordination. I know some people who claimed they did one thing, but in reality did another (and happens to be what Link did).

Meh.

I got to sit in on a couple of friends who had some troubles with the controls in the game and........ yah. Now i know why. "Why didn't it stab I was straight STRAIGHT!!". No you weren't. Not only were you crooked but you clearly sliced before your stab motion and thats why you got a slice.

Meh.
I think you misunderstood my comment, I never said I wasn't good at it. Believe it or not some people just don't like the controls. I found them to be very limiting, and distracting from the "Zelda" experience I've grown to love over the years. I wouldn't mind if they made a different game using them, just not Zelda... I apologize, but I found your comment dismissive and insulting.

Well architecturally the CPU could also set them in good stead since its design seems much more in-line with other next gen console CPU's. Which is almost certainly why some developers have had problems with porting code from current gen. Optimised code for one kind of CPU can be unoptimised to another kind and WiiU's CPU doesn't have the raw power to overcome that. But that isn't indicative of how well the CPU can handle code from other next gen console CPU's. For instance Nintendo could have used something exactly like Xenon and no developer would have any problem porting 360/PS3 code without modification. But that certainly wouldn't be good for future titles, as next gen console CPU's are going in a different direction and Xenon would be a total fish out of water when dealing with code optimised for those kind of CPU's.

I think WiiU's design is focused on next gen development, which is certainly a good thing IMO despite it being to the detriment of some current gen porting. But I do agree that its a pity they couldn't see past the whole console size issue and hike the clocks up a bit.

I posted a reply earlier regarding the CPU being a weak point in the ports of PS360 and was hoping to get a response from those that have sources. Unfortunately, I think the post was overlooked. It would have been nice if the size wasn't holding back the clocks, hw, etc...

That said, is it possible the CPU in the Wii U will be more powerful then what the developers have access to currently? For example, the 3DS had power that dev weren't able to use because Nintendo was overly conservative and set aside plenty of resources for the OS features. I'm sure Nintendo is once again being conservative regarding what resources are set aside for the OS. Nintendo seems to traditionally be conservative in these area's and considering the rumors we've heard regarding the amount of RAM the system has set aside for the OS, doesn't this seem likely or at least feasible? I don't know if there was ever confirmation of how much power the 3DS gained after Nintendo freed up more resources, but rumors at the time suggested around a 25% increase.

Could there be a similar situation with the Wii U's hardware and specifically the CPU? Example: After a few months Nintendo is either able to further optimize the OS and features or that they were overly conservative which leads them to feel comfortable with unlocking more power for dev? If so, that may explain the rumors that the CPU is "weak". Even a small increase in power regarding the CPU should put it "over the hump" in regards to PS360 ports I would think. A game like Assassin's Creed should be pushing PS360's resources. If a Wii U port of AC3 is at least "on par" then even a small increase in the Wii U CPU should make other ports easier and require less optimization of the code, correct?

Obviously, this is just speculation but I'd like to hear if anyone with sources or with a lot of Technical Knowledge thinks this is possible, likely, unlikely, etc...

I got to sit in on a couple of friends who had some troubles with the controls in the game and........ yah. Now i know why. "Why didn't it stab I was straight STRAIGHT!!". No you weren't. Not only were you crooked but you clearly sliced before your stab motion and thats why you got a slice.

But there is a limit to how picky the game should be with your motions. Nintendo have usually been very good with identifying the intent of the player rather than their actual motions, so it's strange that with all the ludicrous hand-holding in Skyward Sword, they decided to demand such precision in the controls. If they'd gone totally hardcore in a 'careful what you wish for' kind of way, I could have accepted it, but when the game was clearly designed to be accessible to players of all skill levels, it's a very odd clash of philosophies.

EDarkness

But there is a limit to how picky the game should be with your motions. Nintendo have usually been very good with identifying the intent of the player rather than their actual motions, so it's strange that with all the ludicrous hand-holding in Skyward Sword, they decided to demand such precision in the controls. If they'd gone totally hardcore in a 'careful what you wish for' kind of way, I could have accepted it, but when the game was clearly designed to be accessible to players of all skill levels, it's a very odd clash of philosophies.

If players don't have to be precise, then what's the point? It's why people really don't want 1:1 control. The main reason we have "waggle" is so that it's easier for people to do things without being precise. I thought the Skyward Sword controls were complicated and unforgiving enough that it seemed like there was some skill required. My roommate can't play it, because he "waggles" and the game requires more thought than that. Unfortunately, that means that a lot of people simply won't be able to play it (at least not properly).

jacksrb

Just curious if you played with wii-mote in your right hand or left. I can see that there would be a disconnect playing left and link being right handed, but it seems that m+ allowed for a more left centric game than most others...

BTW, the relative symmetry of the Wii U gamepad should be great for lefties...

If players don't have to be precise, then what's the point?

If Fi is going to force the solution of a puzzle onto you, then what's the point of having the puzzle in the first place?

As I said, it's not so much the difficulty of pulling off the right sword move at the right time, it's the way it clashes with the complete absence of any sort of challenge in every other aspect of the game. If they were going to make a game with combat only the best gamers will be able to master, then what's the point of having all these concessions to absolute beginner gamers? They attempt to please everybody, but end up pleasing nobody.

The thing is, even with the finickiness of the controls, it's pretty easy to just brute force your way through the game because you have so much health and there's no penalty for dying, so any challenge the controls do add is meaningless.

Dr.Hadji

If Fi is going to force the solution of a puzzle onto you, then what's the point of having the puzzle in the first place?

As I said, it's not so much the difficulty of pulling off the right sword move at the right time, it's the way it clashes with the complete absence of any sort of challenge in every other aspect of the game. If they were going to make a game with combat only the best gamers will be able to master, then what's the point of having all these concessions to absolute beginner gamers? They attempt to please everybody, but end up pleasing nobody.

The thing is, even with the finickiness of the controls, it's pretty easy to just brute force your way through the game because you have so much health and there's no penalty for dying, so any challenge the controls do add is meaningless.

Absolute nonsense. You can cheese your why through ANY single player combat game. If I wanted to I could cheese my way through Ninja Gaiden. I pretty much cheesed my way through Ultra V-Rated Viewtiful Joe. Doesn't change the fact that a person will probably find more satisfying play experience if they engage the game in a way that promotes more of the design choices in the game. So no it is not meaningless.

Just curious if you played with wii-mote in your right hand or left. I can see that there would be a disconnect playing left and link being right handed, but it seems that m+ allowed for a more left centric game than most others...

BTW, the relative symmetry of the Wii U gamepad should be great for lefties...
I play right handed, and honestly had limited problems with accuracy, it just didn't feel at all like a Zelda game. Links abilities seemed to be toned down to make it playable. I guess it just didn't mesh with my play style.

Absolute nonsense. You can cheese your why through ANY single player combat game. If I wanted to I could cheese my way through Ninja Gaiden. I pretty much cheesed my way through Ultra V-Rated Viewtiful Joe. Doesn't change the fact that a person will probably find more satisfying play experience if they engage the game in a way that promotes more of the design choices in the game. So no it is not meaningless.

I don't mean you have to use specific 'cheesy' tactics to beat Skyward Sword, I just mean that even if you're terrible at it, you'll still be able to get through the game by virtue of having so much health and not being punished if you die. Which is probably just as well - if it punished you like Ninja Gaiden for hitting the wrong move, it would be unplayable!

Plus, it's not like people are deliberately avoiding getting their moves recognised by the game - when someone does a slightly wonky stabbing motion, they're not doing it badly on purpose. Saying you have to engage with the game on it's own terms is all good and well, but with Skyward Sword, it kind of destroys the illusion of 1:1 sword control when you cut out all extraneous movements and think only in terms of 'activating' one of the 8 directional slashes or the stabbing move.

But this is getting pretty off-topic. As it relates to the next Zelda game, it doesn't particularly bother me whether they stick with the remote or go with the GamePad (although I feel they'll be forced to use the USP of the Wii U), I just want more consistency with who the game is designed for. Or at the very least have the option of a 'pro' mode where we can strip out all the explanations and hand-holding and learn through experimentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom