• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned
Aha got it
Carmack wishes to deploy Doom3 BFG on WiiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk&feature=player_detailpage#t=719s

But it won't happen soon apparently all because of the Doom4 being the main company goal and all resources have been pulled for other stuff to Doom 4. No hint about if Doom 4 will be on WiiU. He only said "where it wouldn't be necessairly the case for idtech5" ... that would be Vita, and mobile stuff but not WiiU. That leaves Doom4 WiiU is still open to speculation.

Basically, they may align their plans if maybe there's a lot of people pressuring:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/193-doom-3-bfg-edition/

Someone make a wiiu thread, i don't have time right now ... later

Nice, hopefully both come.

Meelow said:
If Nintendo doesn't add triggers to the Pro Controller the people that want them can always buy the Mad Catz Wii U controller.
If the game isn't designed to be used with analog shoulders that analog shoulders in the controller are useless.

I got a chance to talk to Reggie @ E3 very briefly this year, Analog Triggers was the main suggestion I made to him. He repeated it back to me knodded his head and said "Got it".
So hopefully he took the suggestion seriously and passed it on the decision makers to make it happen.

edit: And I'm sure I am one of many that made the same exact suggestion to him @ E3 this year.

Maybe there are two titles we have yet to hear about. They don't sound to be something considered a family title though.

They also filed for "Amaterasu" Which is the japanese goddess of the sun in 2010. Capcom has already used the goddess as the main character in okami. It probably will not use the same play on words (ōmikami, ookami and ōkami) that capcom used though. I would guess a monolith rpg or even Mistwalker. Sun Goddess, maybe Mother 4 :p

The Last Ranger would be something I would put with a either a Shooter as in military ranger , maybe post Apocalyptic/Steam Punk/Space in setting or some kind of JRPG also with a Steam Punk setting. Maybe something collaborated with Mistwalker or Monolith but if it is a shooter then Retro.

daakusedo

We already know the last ranger is dillon 2.
Also when I got owned in SS I was pulled back at the begining of the pirate dungeon, so I didn't particularly want to play crazy and was careful, even more due to being in hero mode.

I got a chance to talk to Reggie @ E3 very briefly this year, Analog Triggers was the main suggestion I made to him. He repeated it back to me knodded his head and said "Got it".
So hopefully he took the suggestion seriously and passed it on the decision makers to make it happen.

edit: And I'm sure I am one of many that made the same exact suggestion to him @ E3 this year.

To be fair, I suffer from tourettes syndrome and he nodded his head to me and said “got it” when I shouted “Cilit Bang” at him!

Meelow

Banned
Really, how come? I've not played it, but is Dillon referred to as a "ranger" in that game?

I'm really hoping it isn't just a sequel to something. I want something new.

Well Dillon is a cowboy in the game and "The Last Ranger" can sound like it has something to do with Dillon but it can be something new hopefully.

Aha got it
Carmack wishes to deploy Doom3 BFG on WiiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk&feature=player_detailpage#t=719s

But it won't happen soon apparently all because of the Doom4 being the main company goal and all resources have been pulled for other stuff to Doom 4. No hint about if Doom 4 will be on WiiU. He only said "where it wouldn't be necessairly the case for idtech5" ... that would be Vita, and mobile stuff but not WiiU. That leaves Doom4 WiiU is still open to speculation.

Basically, they may align their plans if maybe there's a lot of people pressuring:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/193-doom-3-bfg-edition/

Someone make a wiiu thread, i don't have time right now ... later

Sooner or later I'm going to set aside some time to listen to him.

Both Hollywood and Xenos were 90nm chips though. On a much smaller process couldn't 32MB be possible on the same chip?

I made an error earlier responding to Fourth Storm in that I used the wrong measurement. Like I said in my edit, 32nm eDRAM is supposedly 11Mbit/mm^2 so that would put it at ~23mm^2. I guess that's manageable, but I still see them having it on the module instead of on-die. How I'm envisioning it is similar to Hollywood. ARM I/O and GPU on one chip, 32MB of eDRAM and audio DSP on another. In my expectation of two chips on the module maybe they changed it so the edram with with the GPU and the DSP and I/O are on the other. I obviously can't rule that out.

I look forward to the tear downs.

chris3116

*enter, Non-specific Action Figure* ;)

images

From what I've seen so far, AC3 U has a noticeable bump in IQ, draw distance and texture quality already.

If Ubisoft have AC 3 running on Wii U with more detail and a smoother frame rate than on PS360 then im calling laziness on EA's part for Fifa / Madden rather than the CPU being weak.

Penguin

Apparently this comes from
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/u6xhk7/invisible-walls-episode-217

With these quotes
“I’m definitely getting Assassin’s Creed III. And like Mike said, I’ve seen pretty much all three versions at this point. To me, the Wii U version looks the best. It also has added functionality, so that would probably be the one game I’d buy with the Wii U, would be Assassin’s Creed III.

There’s another game that might make launch that hasn’t been announced yet that maybe I would buy for it. But I can’t really mention that.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Who'd you know with a torch???

Was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. (Yes, it's me holding it.)

There’s another game that might make launch that hasn’t been announced yet that maybe I would buy for it. But I can’t really mention that.

AAAGH! This is so frustrating. I guess all this secrecy is a consequence of Nintendo adapting to the instant social media age. The days of games being trailed for two years in advance are over...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Nintendo really should give him his own game.

I'd be extremely disappointed if he didn't appear in Smash Bros....
And speaking of new characters in Smash Bros - an interview with Tales producer Makoto Yoshizumi via that site you GO to. (It seems to be Google translated.)

KoT: Now, let’s talk about Yoshito Higuchi! (T/N: Tales of Vesperia producer)

Y: Yes, Higuchi-san! As you already know, he’s working on the next Smash Bros game. It’s a loss for us and the Tales series for the next few years.

KoT: Few years?

Y: Yes. You know, Sakurai-san is an acquaintance. He went to see me and asked "Let me borrow Higuchi-san" and I said "Ok." *laughs*

KoT: Many fans are dying to know: now that Higuchi-san is working on the next Smash Bros game, can we expect one or several Tales characters in it?

Y: This is a difficult question! Maybe if we beg Sakurai-san, it will happen! I know Higuchi-san would love it, but the decision is Sakurai-san’s. I think it’s still too early to talk about it.

KoT: Smash Bros Melee introduced Marth and Roy from the Fire Emblem series. Those characters were very popular in Occident, and resulted in the Fire Emblem series being localized for the first time in America and Europe. I’m sure Tales characters in the next Smash Bros would be excellent advertising for the series.

Y: That’s true. But we need to keep in mind that a character can only appear in a Smash Bros game if he already appeared on a Nintendo console. This is one of the conditions, and many Tales characters do not fulfill it. Of course, some do, like characters from Tales of Symphonia or Tales of the Abyss.

KoT (Kusuru): Or Tales of Hearts. I love Tales of Hearts *laughs*

Y: You know, Tales of Hearts was one of Baba-san’s important and recent projects, before Graces and Xillia. I think we can tell how much he influenced the game. He always had specific tastes about the costumes, especially for healers, he loves those brother-sister relationships, and he enjoys having a female character who looks human but isn’t.

KoT: Since Higuchi-san left to work on Smash Bros, I take it he took some Tales developers with him?

Y: Yes, of course. But not only developers from the Tales series. He took some people from other teams with him too, especially from the Tekken development team.

http://kingdom-of-tales.net/news-568.html

MDX

AAAGH! This is so frustrating. I guess all this secrecy is a consequence of Nintendo adapting to the instant social media age. The days of games being trailed for two years in advance are over...

Maybe its just that publishers dont want to announce games that wont make it for the launch?

The only thing I can see Nintendo telling publishers is to not mention any titles launching outside of the launch window, until this fall. The other thing has to do with their online service, which may cause some publishers to be quiet about some games that might make heavy use of it.

The Last Ranger sounds like a game Retro would make. They are sitting in Texas after all.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
If Ubisoft have AC 3 running on Wii U with more detail and a smoother frame rate than on PS360 then im calling laziness on EA's part for Fifa / Madden rather than the CPU being weak.

Well Fifa on Wii U is supposed to look better than the other two. I think its just lack of time on the Maddedn issue. NCAA 13 doesnt use the infinity engine either because of time constraints and its on current consoles.

big_erk

With all of this talk about Tales games can we get a localisation of Tales of Innocence. That game is so good. Give us a 3DS remake. I don't know if I would buy a Vita for Tales of Innocence R.

OryoN

It was already understood since the previous speculation threads that CPU-intensive porting from current gen would be an issue, expecially with the given time frame. So this stuff isn't surprising at all, but it's interesting to see how each developer tackles it.

As Donnie suggested, I too, believe that the Wii U is more future-proof - than it is at handling current ports - and was aimed at offering efficient real-world performance. The large cache(larger than what PS4/Xbox3 is targeting, last I checked) is at least some indication of how adamant Nintendo/IBM is about keeping as much data as possible "at hand" for fast processing. I would imagine that Nintendo was more concerned with real-world performance than they ever were.

Some people seem to have the idea that; if Wii U really is notably more powerful than current gen, then it would have no problem running CPU code optimized for current gen. But in fairness, with the vast difference in architecture, unoptimized code would probably be a challenge even if it did have more brute force.

Here's a twist for a change:

Let's say Wii U becomes market leader by a huge margin. If Orbis/Durango both end up with in-order-execution CPU's(I haven't been following recently), how will they - in theory - perform with Wii U CPU-intense ports? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, code optimized for an OoOE CPU would be more crippling to an In-Order CPU(tons of wasted cycles) than it would vise versa. Wouldn't devs be forced to almost entirely re-wite their code? Any thoughts/comments on this?

MDX

Let's say Wii U becomes market leader by a huge margin. If Orbis/Durango both end up with in-order-execution CPU's(I haven't been following recently), how will they - in theory - perform with Wii U CPU-intense ports? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, code optimized for an OoOE CPU would be more crippling to an In-Order CPU(tons of wasted cycles) than it would vise versa. Wouldn't devs be forced to almost entirely re-wite their code? Any thoughts/comments on this?

But this is what happened with the Wii.
It was the market leader, and the developers still tried to marginalize it because
it was different than the other two consoles.

In other words, developers will probably try to kill off the console and pretend they didnt understand it, or could not compete against Nintendo games, or say their core market has not bought the console, etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The entire industry and development process cannot march solely to the beat of Nintendo's drum, if said march makes it difficult to work elsewhere. Any company that wishes to play "us or them" will lose. If Nintendo hypothetically created a system that required it be the lead SKU, making porting to the PS4/720/PC difficult, then they can enjoy developers rightfully giving them the finger.

Donnie

XBox3 and PS4 are both using Jaguar cores which are out of order execution like WiiU, probably quite similar in performance as well (though they seem to be going with an extra core or so and a higher clock speed).

Donnie

That said, is it possible the CPU in the Wii U will be more powerful then what the developers have access to currently? For example, the 3DS had power that dev weren't able to use because Nintendo was overly conservative and set aside plenty of resources for the OS features. I'm sure Nintendo is once again being conservative regarding what resources are set aside for the OS. Nintendo seems to traditionally be conservative in these area's and considering the rumors we've heard regarding the amount of RAM the system has set aside for the OS, doesn't this seem likely or at least feasible? I don't know if there was ever confirmation of how much power the 3DS gained after Nintendo freed up more resources, but rumors at the time suggested around a 25% increase.

Could there be a similar situation with the Wii U's hardware and specifically the CPU? Example: After a few months Nintendo is either able to further optimize the OS and features or that they were overly conservative which leads them to feel comfortable with unlocking more power for dev? If so, that may explain the rumors that the CPU is "weak". Even a small increase in power regarding the CPU should put it "over the hump" in regards to PS360 ports I would think. A game like Assassin's Creed should be pushing PS360's resources. If a Wii U port of AC3 is at least "on par" then even a small increase in the Wii U CPU should make other ports easier and require less optimization of the code, correct?

Obviously, this is just speculation but I'd like to hear if anyone with sources or with a lot of Technical Knowledge thinks this is possible, likely, unlikely, etc...

There's been no info to suggest that any of the WiiU CPU cores is locked to only the OS (like one ARM core was initially for 3DS). Its possible as always that efficiency improvements could lessen the OS overhead IF its even being run by the main CPU but who knows how significant of an effect that could have on improved processing power for gaming.

What should make a significant difference is the integration of the audio chip and I/O controllers into game engines. A lot of devs porting code over from 360 will still be doing I/O and audio on the main CPU just as 360 does, possibly taking up as much as one whole CPU core that could otherwise be freed up for other applications on WiiU.

AzaK

Well architecturally the CPU could also set them in good stead since its design seems much more in-line with other next gen console CPU's. Which is almost certainly why some developers have had problems with porting code from current gen. Optimised code for one kind of CPU can be unoptimised to another kind and WiiU's CPU doesn't have the raw power to overcome that. But that isn't indicative of how well the CPU can handle code from other next gen console CPU's. For instance Nintendo could have used something exactly like Xenon and no developer would have any problem porting 360/PS3 code without modification. But that certainly wouldn't be good for future titles, as next gen console CPU's are going in a different direction and Xenon would be a total fish out of water when dealing with code optimised for those kind of CPU's.

I think WiiU's design is focused on next gen development, which is certainly a good thing IMO despite it being to the detriment of some current gen porting. But I do agree that its a pity they couldn't see past the whole console size issue and hike the clocks up a bit.
I understand that if you're trying to get every last cycle out of a system then slight differences in things like cache, latencies etc will matter. However seeing as most code I image is essentially 'C' and most power these days is GPU, I would have thought that the compilers take care of a lot of the work of making code optimal for games that don't stress the CPU. Therefore I would have expected at minimum the same performance as current HD systems.

I don't know enough about xenon and what might be in Wii U to know for sure, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Also, I imagine that these Jaguar or Steamrollers will still annihilate Wii U and therefore by brute force will pose no problems in running current gen HD titles.

The entire industry and development process cannot march solely to the beat of Nintendo's drum, if said march makes it difficult to work elsewhere. Any company that wishes to play "us or them" will lose. If Nintendo hypothetically created a system that required it be the lead SKU, making porting to the PS4/720/PC difficult, then they can enjoy developers rightfully giving them the finger.

That's what the 360 was like though right? Often lead SKU, and people had to jump through hoops to get games running on PS3 but the did it. Struggling for years all the while totally ignoring the Wii. But I agree in that Nintendo should NOT make A system too different.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's what the 360 was like though right? Often lead SKU, and people had to jump through hoops to get games running on PS3 but the did it. Struggling for years all the while totally ignoring the Wii. But I agree in that Nintendo should NOT make A system too different.

360 development was, as far as I'm aware, a pretty familiar environment though. Every generation comes with hoops, but much like the original Xbox the Xbox 360 allowed the application of acquired knowledge and experience gained from developing on, say, PC. PS3 was definitely hoops. Newell's dislike of the Cell is famous and Sony scrapping it for the PS4 says enough. But you only have to look to certain engines better optimised for the 360 and PC (eg: UE3), as well as the mess of early PS3 titles, to see the problems developers had/have.

Nintendo can create a unique development environment, but if they're going to do so they cant expect to be the lead SKU, not if it severely alienates the competition. Pubs are going to want to spread their expensive games across as many platforms as possible, and wont be too happy using the most difficult platform as the lead SKU.

This is, like, worst case scenario though. Wii scenario. And I don't think it's going to be like that.

axisofweevils

Another tidbit from that site you GO to...

It seems that you can now pre-order the White or Black version of the Wii U at HMV stores here in the UK for just £10.

img20120805143945.jpg

Meelow

Banned
Another tidbit from that site you GO to...

It seems that you can now pre-order the White or Black version of the Wii U at HMV stores here in the UK for just £10.

img20120805143945.jpg

Nice!, the thing now I'm worried by is the name, the logo doesn't really show U unless you really look at it, I still think Nintendo should of at least went with "Super Wii".

ohlawd

Nice!, the thing now I'm worried by is the name, the logo doesn't really show U unless you really look at it, I still think Nintendo should of at least went with "Super Wii".

I'm still open for the PNES name.

Perfect Nintendo Entertainment System.

Donnie

I understand that if you're trying to get every last cycle out of a system then slight differences in things like cache, latencies etc will matter. However seeing as most code I image is essentially 'C' and most power these days is GPU, I would have thought that the compilers take care of a lot of the work of making code optimal for games that don't stress the CPU. Therefore I would have expected at minimum the same performance as current HD systems.

I don't know enough about xenon and what might be in Wii U to know for sure, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Also, I imagine that these Jaguar or Steamrollers will still annihilate Wii U and therefore by brute force will pose no problems in running current gen HD titles

The compiler can only do so much to optimise things. We're talking about two CPU's with very different strengths and weaknesses. To turn code highly optimised for one CPU into something highly optimised for a very different CPU is going to take more than a re-compile.

Also Jaguar and Steamroller aren't on the same level, Jaguar is a lower performance CPU akin to Intel Atom. I don't see that kind of CPU annihilating WiiU's CPU core for core and clock for clock, but with the extra core/s and clock speed I am expecting something like twice the performance. Of course there wouldn't be much of a problem if any with current gen ports, its not as if there are major problems with current gen WiiU ports despite the different CPU.

Pineconn

For some reason RMC said that black isn't slated for the Wii U's launch, but I don't think he knows anything more than us. It'll come down to the September conference, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom