• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deviljho

Green = the color of money

OMG THE WII U PRINTS MONEY

Like this?

DSPrintsMoney.jpg

That yellow line just doesn't make any sense
It really doesnt. I mean it looks good but for what? I dont think its the final boxart...anyways..

I have a question to ask..What the hell are the Japanese gonna play at launch? What will be a japanese system seller other than nsmbu, pikmin 3, and p100. It seems like we're set in the west but Japan has nothing. Is there a game we dont know about yet or something?

I have no choice but to think Nintendo has plenty of hidden Japanese games.

So I'm drunk, and nobody cares either way, but due to recent circumstances, I looked into engines. I'm also currently playing through Skyrim and New Vegas (Steam Summer Sales and stuff), and for some irrational reason, I watched a couple of old Xenoblade reviews. And you know what honestly angered me? Most statements regarding the tech, and how it would be better on HD systems. Now, that might actually be true for Monolith, and it's true that the (same) game looks better in Dolphin, but I honestly believe that those guys did things, tech wise, that's above and beyond anything Bethesda or Bioware ever managed to do. And on much weaker hardware to boot.

Drawing shit in HD is simple. Adding tons of effects or AA is trivial as well - on powerful hardware. But what Monolith managed to do here, tech wise, is not trivial. Huge world, hundreds of NPCs with individual schedules, day and night cycles, dynamic weather, streaming... all that with a very stable framerate, extremely short load times and damn small savegames. Waiting is instant. Fast travel is instant (or near instant if you jump to a different region). You revisit an area 60 hours later and loot you dropped is still exactly where you dropped it, yet the game saves 15 slots in less space than Bethesda takes for a single save. Saves don't grow. The game doesn't slow down. That's "technology". Not "drawing the same shit in HD".

My conclusion (and no, it isn't new or particulary revolutionary): Give incapable developers more power, and they'll find ways to waste it. Give those guys a marketing budget, and they'll make it sound like they didn't.
I know I'm a day late but... Hear, hear!

EuroMIX

Yeah gonna be that way til stores modify their databases. 3DS used to get lumped with the DS at alot of places even gamestop at one point merged them

Lovefilm actually still uses the DS symbol for 3DS games and I think it even uses the same section.

I don't buy bluray so didn't make the comparison at first. It's a little too much like bluray. Hope they add something to differentiate them more.

Maybe there Blu Ray sized boxes? Wii U logo is where the Blu Ray logo would be

But i wouldn´t be surprised if they weren´t allowed to use Blu Ray sized boxes because they don´t use "Blu Ray", its an alterated version of Blu Ray.

Maybe there Blu Ray sized boxes? Wii U logo is where the Blu Ray logo would be

But i wouldn´t be surprised if they weren´t allowed to use Blu Ray sized boxes because they don´t use "Blu Ray", its an alterated version of Blu Ray.

That's what makes them too samey for me. When comes to design though, Nintendo are only 2nd to Apple, so I would hope they do add/alter something.

ASIS

I don't like them at all. They look.. muted. I feel like I need a breath of fresh after looking at them every time :p

Someone should create a game where you place comments about video games on something called a "forum". You can say bad things about companies you have no interest in and games you have never played, while dodging ban attacks from enemies known as "moderators". It will be called Sim Troll.

On second thought, that's a terrible idea. It would probably sell millions.

Actually there was such a 'game' a few years ago but I couldn't tell you the name of it for the life of me. From what I remember it was essentially a fake Forum where the players took on a role e.g. troll, reasonable poster etc and then played that out. I never really looked into it but it was all the rage on the Forum I was posting on at the time for about five minutes.

ASIS

Do you guys think the yellow is there to differentiate between multiplat games and exclusive ones (exclusive = white)

maybe?

Nibel

Do you guys think the yellow is there to differentiate between multiplat games and exclusive ones (exclusive = white)

maybe?

If Nintendo wants to create a healthy relationship with third party studios - and they've stated that they want to - then this would be a extremely stupid thing to do.

Blue and gold. I could get used it; it's already 100x better than the xbox snot-green cases.

Pretty much everything is better than the disgusting Xbox 360 cases. Probably the worst looking game cases ever produced. That green border looks outright disgusting, and that's coming from a day one 360 owner.

While I'm quite indifferent about the yellow line, I'm actually quite fond of the design.
It's distinguished from the Wii, has ample space for the cover art, and should stand out on shelves.

Now personally I would've liked them to use white, but I guess that would really confuse people with the Wii. After 3DS Nintendo can't afford to have more brand confusion going on.

That's why I actually think that killing off the Wii so early is actually a good idea. The 3DS came out at a time when the DS actually still mattered. With the WiiU, they basically can replace the Wii completely on the market.

I like the blue and yellow, it'll make the cases stand out on a shelf... The bright yellow will draw customers' attention even if they were going to walk right by the Nintendo section. Smart move from a marketing standpoint.

I like the blue and yellow, it'll make the cases stand out on a shelf... The bright yellow will draw customers' attention even if they were going to walk right by the Nintendo section. Smart move from a marketing standpoint.

And that's ultimately the whole point of game boxes. They aren't meant to be hyper creative showpieces of the companies marketing departments creative spark, but meant to be highly effective in standing out among shelved products.
If you want creative and artistic expressions, you need to get collectors editions, which aren't meant to be placed on a shelf with hundreds of other products.

Furthermore, the huge clash that people seem to have here is lost on me. Yellow and blue work well together. Not as good as orange and blue (look up the orange and blue rule in cover design) but it's a good marker to separate the header from the cover art. Yellow is a rare colour to use in cover artworks and should help to create an embossed effect upon looking.

Yellow is also the one colour that looks like shit on monitors, even Oleds still aren't able to reproduce satisfying yellow hues unlike print. from my experience a yellow print colour has to be judged on the final printed product to make a rational judgement, let alone that almost no monitor used by private users is actually calibrated to display print colours.

He is, but doesn't like what this thread has turned into. He still drops by the IRC from time to time to chat...about food. xD

I know I'm new around here, but I've been a lurker for a long time. I've seen stuff about the IRC posted before, is there a link I can get to join?

Also to Ideaman-If your reading this come back and post periodically. A lot of us that lurked the thread enjoyed your posts and I don't feel like the thread has the same excitement without your frequent posts.

I've been thinking Dragon's Dogma too, one since it's already done and not in development so it should be easier to port, but more particularly since it did well in Japan while bombing in the US. Just a rerelease on a new system to give it another shot here and get familiar with the hardware.

I was thinking Dragon's Dogma also. On top of the reasons you mention, I feel like Capcom has bigger plans for Dragon's Dogma in the future and a release on a new Console may help get them the user base that they were aiming for.

It just seems to fit on a variety of levels, IMO. On a personal note, I've been considering Dragon's Dogma already but just have other games I'm currently playing and haven't had a chance to start on it yet. I would most likely pick it up on Wii U, though it would depend on the release date and how the port to Wii U is handled.

Anyone notice that it looks like the GC case?

Yea, it's been mentioned a few times. I agree it's pretty similar, especially if you look at the one above with the black border.

I think they look fine overall. I guess I'm indifferent to the design. I'm not blown away by it and yet I don't hate it. Could be a lot worse.

Edit: I do think the overall AC3 box looks great and I'm pretty hyped to pick up the game. I've already decided I'd get the Wii U version if it was only "on par" with PS360 and had the maps on the Gamepad, which would make it the definitive version in my opinion. The fact we're hearing rumors that it is the "best looking" version is just icing on the cake and gets me even more hyped for it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Seeing the blue logo makes me wonder if the Japan boxes will have a different colour "mature" logo.

("Mature" 3DS / Wii games are black background in Japan, compared to the "kiddeh" white.)

Nibel

Guys, do you think Wii U will be an indie haven?

Depends on their whole online infrastructure; how will they advertise titles? How much will the developer get? How big is their focus on indie games in general? Why should people release their games on the Wii U eShop?

Nintendo has still a lot to prove in that "genre".

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Seeing the blue logo makes me wonder if the Japan boxes will have a different colour "mature" logo.

("Mature" 3DS / Wii games are black background in Japan, compared to the "kiddeh" white.)

Aye, I get the feeling it will be from tweets and info some of the indie devs have given. I'm starting to really get into the eShop on the 3DS. I think MS and Sony will have no option but to match Nint on their new indie policies so it might just be the era of the indie full stop.

I'm just hoping the U will see a lot of PC like RTSs on the eShop.

From Game Informer AU Facebook page

The Cover - So usually by now I would have uploaded the cover of the next issue. As it stands, the next issue's cover must remain a secret. It is part of a worldwide reveal that cannot be spoken about or shown until 4pm on the 14th of August. I have fought hard and have been unable to get any leeway on this and, as a result, the next issue will be going out a day later than usual. The good news, hopefully, will be the reveal itself. I apologise in advance for the frustration this delay may create and rest assured I am in discussions now with the publisher in question about how they are going to make it up to our subscribers. Still, we put more blood and sweat into this issue than any of the previous 32 and I am sure you will enjoy it: for now, let the countdown begin

Could be anything.

prag16

Banned
From Game Informer AU Facebook page

Could be anything.

Somebody was speculating Black Ops 2 elsewhere I think.

Could be, but that doesn't sound big enough for the way this guy is describing it (especially since the game has already been all but confirmed). Based on that description, RE6 is probably more likely.

But yeah, who knows... could be anything...

EDIT: I was under the assumption that it is Wii U related, but it sounds like they never specify. So nvm RE BO2 and RE6. Something GTA5 related is probably more likely.

The thing is, on one hand I would welcome Nintendo taking away barriers for small independent developers to have the ability to consider the WiiU as a viable plattform for their titles, on the other, I don't want another XBLIG situation where you are drowned in shallow crap, rip offs and blatant plagiats.
If the WiiU is to become a viable plattform for Independents it has to avoid the horrible presentation that MS is doing with their Indie Service.

But then again, Nintendo will most likely not allow Independent games region free due to their seriously conservative stance on region specific age ratings and IP rights.
If Indies are willing to cough up the money for age certification I guess this could work, but judging by the fact that XBLIG is not available in Austria (and Germany to my knowledge) is telling me that Independent developers simply won't be able to afford getting their games certified in some countries, thus limiting their potential audience and market.

Maybe Nintendo could offer bulk certifications for small developers to alleviate costs, but I highly doubt they would do that.

I think as a plattform holder they only have the responsability to treat every submission fair and highlight titles across publishers and genres. The eshop approach at promoting various themes and genres is actually quite interesting. If they solve the cumbersome 3DS eshop navigation on the WiiU interface, then it's going to be quite a neat shop interface.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Depends entirely on Nintendo's governing of their online service and their relationships with independent developers. If their service is restrictive, and them as a company difficult to work with, particularly when it comes to revenue, they won't work with Nintendo. If Nintendo gives them the flexibility and freedom they desire, and development is affordable, then sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom