• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryoku

So...anyone want to make a new version of the boxart with black, white or grey instead of yellow? :p

EDIT: From the other thread:

Terrible compression artifacts make it difficult to select the entire yellow in one go. You have to go through almost every single pixel after you select out the majority of it. I gave up, lol, since there is still quite a bit of yellow left.

EDIT: Shit, I have another idea. Hopefully it works.

AzaK

The 0.5 GB for the OS was reserved storage space. That much I remember.

edit: Let me edit this…

Okay. There was a report that there's 512MB of physical space set aside for the OS which is separate from the flash memory used for saves and such

(still editing to save face)

But the original reports from France suggested that at that time with the devkit a certain amount of memorywhich happened to be about 512MB was being reserved for system functions. However, I believe this was not necessarily expected to remain the same amount.

(okay, done, face saved at least a little bit)

Oh god, not this speculation again! :)

Ryoku

untitled-2mwf0y.png

Here it is without any yellow, whatsoever.

EDIT: Another one, with the orange that is present in the Nintendo Network logo:

I tried with black and the gradient found in the Gamecube cover design. It looks terrible with with those.

deviljho

Are you saying that because we might of got it earlier than September?.

I'm saying that perhaps retailers and Nintendo are getting ready to stock and sell these bad boys. And in September we'll hear about a late October/ early November release and Nintendo doing lots of marketing from then through the holidays

Now people are saying 2-3gb and it has 4gb in the dev kits.

No. No one has recently said that.

Isn't it ~1.5 for games and ~0.5 for the OS? Total of 2 gigs? Someone swoop in from the above and clarify all this :D

The amount for the final OS has never been stated. It only came from a scenario-type of question posed by Ozfunghi to IdeaMan and at the time Ideaman hinted that the dev kit had a large amount of memory dedicated to the OS and functions. That morphed into 512MB of memory dedicated to the OS and functions. We have nothing to indicate what it is.

The 2GB came from a couple people I asked awhile back, one of which was IdeaMan.

Meelow

Banned
I'm saying that perhaps retailers and Nintendo are getting ready to stock and sell these bad boys. And in September we'll hear about a late October/ early November release and Nintendo doing lots of marketing from then through the holidays

Makes sense.

The amount for the final OS has never been stated. It only came from a scenario-type of question posed by Ozfunghi to IdeaMan and at the time Ideaman hinted that the dev kit had a large amount of memory dedicated to the OS and functions. That morphed into 512MB of memory dedicated to the OS and functions. We have nothing to indicate what it is.

The 2GB came from a couple people I asked awhile back, one of which was IdeaMan.

I heard from someone it was 2-3gb but it was aiming for 2gb so your right it will probably be 2gb which is good :).

From now on I'll only believe top reliable sources like BG, Ideaman and other top sources.

Is Ideaman still on NeoGAF?.

Ryoku

It also came from a developer sometime after E3.

http://kotaku.com/5920931/the-wii-us-power-problem

I never heard about 3GB+ outside of devkits.

cand

It's just me or Tank!Tank!Tank! will be ridiculously fun to play with friends. I don't see people talkin' about it ... tbh local multiplayer is one of the best things videogames can provide. I mean Top Gear, TMNT, battletoads, mario party, golden eye, conker ... why can't I get that feeling anymore ?

Makes sense.

I heard from someone it was 2-3gb but it was aiming for 2gb so your right it will probably be 2gb which is good :).

Let's just forget anything I said about 3gb being in the final console.

Is Ideaman still on NeoGAF?.

He is, but doesn't like what this thread has turned into. He still drops by the IRC from time to time to chat...about food. xD

Banned
Amazon.CA posted this as a Wii U box art. Thoughts?
Sex
y

Edit: I'm loving the new box art being blue. The way it should have been. Very different from the Wii. I now infer if they will use blu ray cases that are clear or blue or clear blue like blu ray movies or go with standard DVD like boxes?

Regarding the part i underlined, I hope he means the size of the dev team and not the hardware.

No, he was referring to the resources they already had that could be used to improve the game graphically. He seems to be saying that they don't have any other assets that could be used to improve the game without building new ones other than the crowd and field textures.

Aguila

#ICONIC
The boxart looking similar to the Gamecube's makes me believe it's not real. It would be completely unoriginal of Nintendo to mash up Wii AND Gamecube graphics/logos/styles.

Banned
The boxart looking similar to the Gamecube's makes me believe it's not real. It would be completely unoriginal of Nintendo to mash up Wii AND Gamecube graphics/logos/styles.
*insert snark comment about how 3DS cases look like DS cases here*

cand

I don't think this is a problem at all, even with the demonic yellow line. It's just a boxart.

antonz

The Boxart kinda makes sense with some of the harsh lessons they have learned with DS and 3DS. Too similar causes a ton of confusion with base consumers.

The boxarts as Amazon and Target show stand out sufficiently from Wii Boxes

Just for clarity, IM explicitly gave a figure of "at least 512MB"

Aguila

#ICONIC
*insert snark comment about how 3DS cases look like DS cases here*

Yes, but at least they tried to differentiate the 3DS console and its box.

I don't think this is a problem at all, even with the demonic yellow line. It's just a boxart.

I guess :/

Wii and Wii U console similar in a way.

wii_black_mario.jpg

original.jpg

I know. That's why I find it strange that they would mix the Wii-like design that the Wii U already has with Gamecube designs.

This is just my disappointment about the Wii U's design coming out.

Meelow

Banned
Yes, but at least they tried to differentiate the 3DS console and its box.

I guess :/

I know. That's why I find it strange that they would mix the Wii-like design that the Wii U already has with Gamecube designs.

This is just my disappointment about the Wii U's design coming out.

Are you talking about the Wii U cases?, they look great and it's like a flashback to the GameCube.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Are you talking about the Wii U cases?, they look great and it's like a flashback to the GameCube.

No. I'm talking about the console design. The box art does look okay but-

what I am basically trying to say is that, overall, I am disappointed with look of the Wii U. Nintendo could have done so much more coming from a long line of designing completely different and unique consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii). I'll get over it though. Pay no more attention to my complaints :p

Terrell

Well, no Blu-Ray style packaging sucks.

Ahh well, I was going all-digital anyways, so none of my "box art" is gonna have the branding overlay anyways.

Meelow

Banned
No. I'm talking about the console design. The box art does look okay but-

what I am basically trying to say is that, overall, I am disappointed with look of the Wii U. Nintendo could have done so much more coming from a long line of designing completely different and unique consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii). I'll get over it though. Pay no more attention to my complaints :p

I agree, I like when console have their own design and the Wii U looks too much like the Wii, I hoping it looks a little bit different in the final design.

Banned
With the news of EB games that I posted today about pre-ordering the Wii U and seeing the new box arts, and the fact it's August, I feel the Wii U launch getting closer :)

Meelow

Banned
With the news of EB games that I posted today about pre-ordering the Wii U and seeing the new box arts, and the fact it's August, I feel the Wii U launch getting closer :)

Like the other guy said Late October-Early November release

Aww I wanted PS3 style cases. It looks like a blue PC game case lol.

I hope the blue is transparent as well, that would make it look really cool.

Shokio

Neo Member
If that's the official box arts, they needa ditch the yellow strips for orange ones. Orange would look much better.

japtor

I for one can't wait for the Wii U versions of Street Fighter IV and Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop. Dare I hope for Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble?

Seriously though, I can see a fighting game of some sort because those are relatively easy and maybe Dragon's Dogma because, dammit, Capcom is going to make you give a shit about Dragon's Dogma.

I think RE6 is on a slightly lower tier of plausibility, but that would be a great title to get for Nintendo. Even if Capcom were bringing RE6 to the Wii U, however, putting it out at launch runs the risk of it being overshadowed by ACIII or whatever. Maybe they'll hold off until the inevitable Gold edition the following year. I think title crowding is going to be a big problem if the system launches in November. You can't just launch with thirty games. They'll kill each other

And the least possible Capcom game is something exclusive or original that people actually care about.
I've been thinking Dragon's Dogma too, one since it's already done and not in development so it should be easier to port, but more particularly since it did well in Japan while bombing in the US. Just a rerelease on a new system to give it another shot here and get familiar with the hardware.

Anything else, who knows.
That reminds me, is the Wii U disk driver backlighted?
Obviously it will be gold, and can be used as a natural light based alarm clock.

I think they are hiding a subliminal message in the boxart:

Blue + yellow in the branding
Blue mixed with yellow = green
Green = the color of money

OMG THE WII U PRINTS MONEY

Ah, Nintendo--cocksure as always!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom