• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarsonot

You guys are crazy about the freakin' boxes. =) How long do you look at the boxes anyway?

Also I just bought Dragon's Dogma for PS3, would've waited for Wii U version had it been announced. Not gonna be too bummed by the announcement - glad I have the game, but another example of why Nintendo should loosen up their NDAs this close to launch.

Loving the game, BTW.

Edit: the actual Wii U box will have a glaringly obvious yellow swoosh, obviously. =)

Double Edit: Nintendo Nike partnership confirmed?

My goal is to never hold a game box. I want to buy all my game's through direct download. So what I care about box looks is that it looks nothing like the Wii boxes, and looks good to normal game buyers.

Zarovitch

I hope that Nintendo will release WiiU sport, i don't see Nintendo Land to be the game i will play with my family when we meet. Only bowling in HD where we see our score on the tablet will do.

nordique

Maybe there Blu Ray sized boxes? Wii U logo is where the Blu Ray logo would be

But i wouldn´t be surprised if they weren´t allowed to use Blu Ray sized boxes because they don´t use "Blu Ray", its an alterated version of Blu Ray.

I was thinking maybe as well they could share blu ray dimensions

Still its always possible they could not be standard DVD case sizes...

but it looks like they are standard DVD size. Look at the width:height ratio

240109brp.jpg

images

squid

I was thinking maybe as well they could share blu ray dimensions

Still its always possible they could not be standard DVD case sizes...

but it looks like they are standard DVD size. Look at the width:height ratio

images

Ooh Fringe! Nice choice.

I don't mind the cases, even the yellow! Not amazing, but could be much worse. The AC3 cover looks particularly nice.

nordique

Also, to compare (apparent) Wii U box dimensions for those interested in if it might be DVD case size or more blu ray disc/ps3 ish: dimensions and how the art also fits within those dimensions are one coarse way to judge

14061617_265x265_pad.jpg

14175470_120731203000_265x265_pad.jpg

14061622_265x265_pad.jpg

Its obviously not to scale but can give some idea about the dimensions of the case, if the artwork scale is anything to go by (it doesn't exactly match the 360 artwork however, but the length:width are important to consider as blu ray case dimensions are more square and less rectangular)

I would assume Wii U cases will be standard DVD case size.

There is always the chance they could be modified cases so we won't know for sure until officially shown

3DS cases are more slim than DS cases for example.

nordique

I read Wii retail software is backwards compatible with the Wii U, but has the been any news about a possible upscale to HD resolution?

You mean Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii ;)

(you have it...backwards lol - edit: or maybe my english is backwards. I dunno. It probably works both ways en anglais)

So far, the official word is no upscaling.

Expect to give Nintendo more money via possible HD collection re-releases though. These are the guys that charged $20 for NES GBA ports after all

You mean Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii ;)

(you have it...backwards lol)

So far, the official word is no upscaling.

Expect to give Nintendo more money via possible HD collection re-releases though. These are the guys that charged $20 for NES GBA ports after all

My bad :D I mean backwards compatible. You could be right about HD collections. Would be awesome to play SMG , Zelda SS and DKCR in HD though

Hakai

Also, to compare (apparent) Wii U box dimensions for those interested in if it might be DVD case size or more blu ray disc/ps3 ish: dimensions and how the art also fits within those dimensions are one coarse way to judge

14061617_265x265_pad.jpg

14175470_120731203000_265x265_pad.jpg

14061622_265x265_pad.jpg

Its obviously not to scale but can give some idea about the dimensions of the case, if the artwork scale is anything to go by (it doesn't exactly match the 360 artwork however, but the length:width are important to consider as blu ray case dimensions are more square and less rectangular)

I would assume Wii U cases will be standard DVD case size.

There is always the chance they could be modified cases so we won't know for sure until officially shown

3DS cases are more slim than DS cases for example.

Is it just me, or the Wii U Artwork is clearer than the other two?

I've been thinking lately about what the WiiU's OS/UI has the possibility to look like. How likely is it that we're going to see a whole new interface and not just an improved Wii or 3DS one? I'd like to think that the controller would allow for some fairly creative ideas, but I think Nintendo is just going to go with the simpler tile/channel style.

Meelow

Banned
I've been wondering, the main color for Wii U is blue which makes me think why Nintendo hasn't made/shown a blue Wii U console.

jerd

Found this on twitter. Nintendo Land bundle confirmed?

Edit: Fan concept

Well since you found it on Twitter... and provided no link.. has to be! :p

Also, I feel like the box would just say includes NintendoLand not the whole + business

If the game boxes are the real deal, as they seem to be, I can't see the console box, being anything like that.

Just so you guys know...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40416814&postcount=1027

DrLyme

Neo Member
I've been thinking lately about what the WiiU's OS/UI has the possibility to look like. How likely is it that we're going to see a whole new interface and not just an improved Wii or 3DS one? I'd like to think that the controller would allow for some fairly creative ideas, but I think Nintendo is just going to go with the simpler tile/channel style.

miiverse0607-610.jpg

In the bottom corner you can see what looks like the channels from the Wii menu. My guess is that the channels will on the TV and this (Wara Wara?) will be on the controller (or vise versa).

Effect

If the channels are back then it would make sense to have them on the controller by default (touch options) and can use the sticks to move around the area on the tv.

Meelow

Banned
miiverse0607-610.jpg

In the bottom corner you can see what looks like the channels from the Wii menu. My guess is that the channels will on the TV and this (Wara Wara?) will be on the controller (or vise versa).

I never even noticed that until you pointed that out : O.

D-e-f-

Banned
believe it or not, those damn BOX DESIGNS are what brought me back after weeks of absence from this thread lol

I kinda like them, remind me of the GCN design a lot. I'd prefer an orange "smile," though. You know, that goes with the Nintendo Network logo? 'Cause that would make sense but hey ..what do I know? :D

I like that the case is blue, the less generic the better.

Hoodbury

Hmm, I wonder how long I'll play around with that home screen before I start playing a real game? Will there be things to keep me busy and explore with the new controller for 10 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour? Longer?

How interactive will they make that waka waka or whatever it's called? That's what I hope they reveal soon. Seems like there could be a lot to do. But it also seems like something that'll 'grow' the longer you have the system, the more friends you make, the more games you buy. So I wonder what will be there right from the start?

Aguila

#ICONIC
miiverse0607-610.jpg

*o*

I never noticed that. The little bubble seems to represent what is on the gamepad. For instance, look at this screen. It's Wara Wara but on the gamepad. Maybe you can touch the little bubble and the placement of Wara Wara and the channel/tile menu will switch from TV to gamepad.
Wara-Wara-on-pad.jpg

JoeInky

I never noticed that. The little bubble seems to represent what is on the gamepad. For instance, look at this screen. It's Wara Wara but on the gamepad. Maybe you can touch the little bubble and the placement of Wara Wara and the channel/tile menu will switch from TV to gamepad.

They already confirmed this on the pre-E3 nintendo direct.

japtor

I really do hope its a gold shine though.
Real gold leaf with every game!
I was thinking Dragon's Dogma also. On top of the reasons you mention, I feel like Capcom has bigger plans for Dragon's Dogma in the future and a release on a new Console may help get them the user base that they were aiming for.
Yeah I forgot to mention that they do have bigger plans, they announced recently that they're going to keep it going.
Guys, do you think Wii U will be an indie haven?
I could see it for the more established ones but I'm guessing the barrier to entry will be too high to small guys just starting out. Publishers could step in and help out though like Nicalis (...although hopefully not as shitty as they handled Cave Story and La Mulana).
I see so much potential in that homescreen.
Penises, penises everywhere! (I would hate to be the Nintendo human censors for that stuff)

MDX

Something I noticed... or didn't notice.

I haven't heard of any WiiU console failures so far from the first reveal at E3 to all
the local events. So I'm wondering, how final were and are the guts in the demo units
used to demo all the games?

I recall both the 360 and PS3 had both demo unit failures prior to launch.
And of course, 360 failures became notorious after.

I haven't heard of any WiiU console failures so far from the first reveal at E3 to all
the local events. So I'm wondering, how final were and are the guts in the demo units

I actually saw a couple of wii-u crash at the nyc event.I don't know if it was the games or the system fault though.

Ryoku

Considering that it's a console from Nintendo, I'm not really worried about it dying on me. Still have my launch Wii, and it runs great. Also, my NES, N64, and Gamecube :p

D-e-f-

Banned
Something I've been wondering about as well.

Also, was it ever "confirmed" where are the demos running from?

SD, External HDD, Optical Disc?

didn't IdeaMan make a detailed and long post about that topic around E3?

I believe that was the first time devs had to bring actual discs for the demo stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom