• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't do Pikmin 3 because the art work isn't fit for a cover art. D:

zeruda.png

xeno.png

Banned
I can't do Pikmin 3 because the art work isn't fit for a cover art. D:

zeruda.png

xeno.png

Dammit you beat me too it. I tried cropping out the Wii logo curve at the top before putting in the Wii U layer. I suck at Gimp. How do you crop out the "Wii" logo at the top and where do you find these hi-res cover arts?

Dammit you beat me too it. I tried cropping out the Wii logo curve at the top before putting in the Wii U layer. I suck at Gimp. How do you crop out the "Wii" logo at the top and where do you find these hi-res cover arts?

Just Google "Xenoblade art work png" and add the Nintendo and ESRB logo yourself. Then you don't need to do any cropping! :p

Do you guys think 9th gen we will see 1080p with 60FPS with AA?. or just those too with no AA?.

Anyone with an up to date gaming PC will tell you it's extremely hard and expensive to get even impressive looking current generation games (BF3, Witcher 2, Metro 2033, GTA 4, Crysis 2 ect) to run at 1080p native resolution, medium to high settings, AA, all at a constant 60fps with no drop.

My setup is an Intel Core i5 3.3 Ghz CPU, 8GB of Ram and a GTX 550 Ti, a pretty mid range system that cost around $1000.

A $300 console can only do so much at the end of the day, even altho its on a closed environment with specific optimisations, which helps a lot.

The problem is with each new console generation the graphics have to be a noticeable leap to entice people to part with $300 - $500 for it, so as they go for big graphical leaps the first things to take a hit are the resolution and then the frame rate.

Resolution and frame rate will always be third and fourth priorities to console game developers behind Gameplay and Graphics imo.

If you want true 1080p native resolution, high textures, AA, and 60 fps for multi platform games then PC is the only way to go but be prepared to pay big for things at the end of the day don't really matter.

I would much rather spend the $1500 it would cost for a great gaming PC on a Wii U, PS4 and 720 and some exclusive games not even available on PC but everyone is different.

Ryoku

Anyone with an up to date gaming PC will tell you it's extremely hard and expensive to get even impressive looking current generation games (BF3, Witcher 2, Metro 2033, GTA 4, Crysis 2 ect) to run at 1080p native resolution, medium to high settings, AA, all at a constant 60fps with no drop.

My setup is an Intel Core i5 3.3 Ghz CPU, 8GB of Ram and a GTX 550 Ti, a pretty mid range system that cost around $1000.

A $300 console can only do so much at the end of the day, even altho its on a closed environment with specific optimisations, which helps a lot.

The problem is with each new console generation the graphics have to be a noticeable leap to entice people to part with $300 - $500 for it, so as they go for big graphical leaps the first things to take a hit are the resolution and then the frame rate.

Resolution and frame rate will always be third and fourth priorities to console game developers behind Gameplay and Graphics imo.

If you want true 1080p native resolution, high textures, AA, and 60 fps for multi platform games then PC is the only way to go but be prepared to pay big for things at the end of the day don't really matter.

I would much rather spend the $1500 it would cost for a great gaming PC on a Wii U, PS4 and 720 and some exclusive games not even available on PC but everyone is different.

This is mostly because of increased settings, and things the game itself does differently/more. An example is Crysis 2. On consoles, it doesn't have global illumination. On PC, it does. Drags down performance. Tessellation. Higher-res shadows. I think what most people are expecting is PS360-level IQ at 1080p and maybe slightly more AA @60fps. I don't really expect this, but just pointing out what people were talking about.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Resolution jumps chew up a lot of performance headroom. A lot. Throw in good anti-aliasing and you're losing even more. I have a GTX 570 and play all my games at 1080p. Depending on the game, I can hit 60fps almost consistently (see: Mass Effect 3 + 4xSGSSAA), but for more modern/advanced games (eg: BF3 and Crysis 2 DX11) I'm not hitting a constant 60fps. Mostly averaging 45fps.

60fps will never be a standard. Unlike resolution and AA it is not a feature developers can switch on. Performance is performance. It is relative to engine optimisation and asset quality. Any platform can have games that run at 60fps. As soon as you start hiking up the details performance is lost.

You could have a platform that is capable of running the most advanced modern games at 1080p, fantastic anti-aliasing and an unbroken vsync'd 60fps. Take the same game, add more detail, and there goes your 60fps.

60fps has to be a very conscious decision made by the developers.

Banned

Yeah, but those PC games come with high resolution textures that eat up RAM. A Crysis 2 high res texutre will be 4096x4096 while the 360 version will be at most 1024x1024 for the body armor and 512x512 for the face.

For example, even a cheap $800 gaming PC can play most games at 1080p and 60fps with 4xAA with ease. Games like Mass Effect, Batman, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, are all made for consoles first and don't have hi-res textures. It's the games that are built from the PC that are going to be hard for a $300 console to run.

Banned
Resolution jumps chew up a lot of performance headroom. A lot. Throw in good anti-aliasing and you're losing even more. I have a GTX 570 and play all my games at 1080p. Depending on the game, I can hit 60fps almost consistently (see: Mass Effect 3 + 4xSGSSAA), but for more modern/advanced games (eg: BF3 and Crysis 2 DX11) I'm not hitting a constant 60fps. Mostly averaging 45fps.

60fps will never be a standard. Unlike resolution and AA it is not a feature developers can switch on. Performance is performance. It is relative to engine optimisation and asset quality. Any platform can have games that run at 60fps. As soon as you start hiking up the details performance is lost.

You could have a platform that is capable of running the most advanced modern games at 1080p, fantastic anti-aliasing and an unbroken vsync'd 60fps. Take the same game, add more detail, and there goes your 60fps.

GTX 570 FTW! Do you have the 1.2GB or 2.5GB version?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1.2GB unfortunately. It was the only one available when I picked up my card a couple of years ago. I'll upgrade to something else during the latter half of the next generation.

Banned
1.2GB unfortunately. It was the only one available when I picked up my card a couple of years ago. I'll upgrade to something else during the latter half of the next generation.

Well, unless you're multimonitor gaming it's not necessary I guess. I got the 2.5GB version and plan on going SLI maybe next year to hit the 60fps barrier on Crysis 2 with DX11. Tigerdirect has loads of GTX570HD's.

Exactly, i can drop the resolution down a few notches or even turn the graphical settings down from Ultra / High to Medium and i go from 45 fps to 60 but at the end of the day i don't see the point of playing games on PC unless i can get 1080p / 60 fps / High settings.

I could spend $400 and upgrade to a GTX 660 Ti and i would be set for the whole of next gen regarding multi platform games on PC but as i said i would much rather have a new console and some exclusive games with the money.

If Wii U is as powerful as the spec leaks just after E3 make out then im sure it could handle games like AC 3 and Aliens at 1080p / 60 fps, the problem is that the tablet controller will be rendering the game a second time in a lot of cases and it can't handle a second display with the main screen running the game at 1080p so they just stuck to 720p.

PS4 / 720 would be able to handle every current generation game at 1080p / 60 fps if their rumoured specs are true but as soon as next generation engines and effects are introduced they would have to be displayed at 720p and most prob 30 fps again.

I expect every single Nintendo first party game to be 720p / 60 fps on Wii U, even while the controller is rendering a second image of the game.

I really can't wait for the first real graphical showcase on Wii U from either Nintendo or Retro, when you think what Sony and MS got from machines with DX 9 level architecture, 240 FLOP GPU's and 512 MB's of Ram, it's really going to be unreal to see what Nintendo can achieve with hardware that is at least twice as powerful, it's just a pity we will more than likely have to wait another 10 months until E3 to see it :(.

Yeah, but those PC games come with high resolution textures that eat up RAM. A Crysis 2 high res texutre will be 4096x4096 while the 360 version will be at most 1024x1024 for the body armor and 512x512 for the face.

For example, even a cheap $800 gaming PC can play most games at 1080p and 60fps with 4xAA with ease. Games like Mass Effect, Batman, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, are all made for consoles first and don't have hi-res textures. It's the games that are built from the PC that are going to be hard for a $300 console to run.

Yeah my PC can play most games that are built for consoles first at 1080p / 60 fps, its the games that take advantage of PC hardware where it struggles.

This is mostly because of increased settings, and things the game itself does differently/more. An example is Crysis 2. On consoles, it doesn't have global illumination. On PC, it does. Drags down performance. Tessellation. Higher-res shadows. I think what most people are expecting is PS360-level IQ at 1080p and maybe slightly more AA @60fps. I don't really expect this, but just pointing out what people were talking about.

What does the 'IQ level' mean ?.

Thanks.

Image Quality

Ah ok, so kind of like the low / medium / high / ultra settings on a PC ?.

If the PS360 version of BF3 for instance is low graphics settings / 704p / 30 fps then i wonder if Wii U could run it at medium graphics settings / 720p / 60 fps.

They need a multi platform game that really shows how much more powerful it is than PS360 imo, that's why i wanted a Wii U version of Crysis 3 so much as there would be no better multi platform tech heavy game in 2013 :(, maybe we will get MoH 2 or Farcry 3 ports in 2013.

Drago

You know what the box art logo reminds me of? Nintendo's YouTube thumbnails.

default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg

Baby Blue has been Wii's color for it's last few years, and I expect it to be WiiU's for the years ahead. It's a nice color :)

Tehalemi

We've received word from a delightful Ubisoft PR rep, Mr. Michael Beadle, who tells us, "Why yes, the Wii U box art you sent is legit; in fact, it’s too legit to quit"

xD Oh Ubisoft...

My favorite one of yours thus far. -thumbs up- It seems to me Wii U's box covers would make almost every game art for the system seductive and tempting games to buy IMO, although I'll be sure about those feelings when I'm at Gamestop and I see the Wii U section. So far, I'm satisfied with this.

Banned
Ok guys, I suck at Gimp but I want to learn. I tried to make a Metroid Prime 4 mock-up cover art. I'm sure the photoshop experts will see the errors right away. I tried to find the proper Metroid Prime font, as it is thicker and more silver but I had to deal with Metroid Prime Hunters font instead. Bear with me here and let me know what you think.

Tehalemi

Ok guys, I suck at Gimp but I want to learn. I tried to make a Metroid Prime 4 mock-up cover art. I'm sure the photoshop experts will see the errors right away. I tried to find the proper Metroid Prime font, as it is thicker and more silver but I had to deal with Metroid Prime Hunters font instead. Bear with me here and let me know what you think.

-It would be cool if you made Dark Samus glow a bit more in the background.
-Put Retro's logo either on the very bottom center or top left, parallel to the NIN logo. Of course put the Nintendo logo all the way to the bottom right.

My own suggestions of course off the top of my head. Practice, practice, practice...you'll get better at it. I only have minimal experience with Photoshop. :p

Edit: Also, it's pronounced: "Metroid Dread" :p

'>_>
<_<'
-continues to orbit solar system-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom