• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting real now!

You guys think we can expect big 2013 Nintendo game relveals during the fall conference? I believe Retros game will be next E3, I just don´t see it being unveiled before then. What development subgroups within nintendo could realistically have something to show?

Japanese 3rd party support will be revealed. Big Nintendo games, probably not. Even after E3, Iwata has stated that they want to focus on launch before they reveal plans beyond launch window (which could go deep into 2013, depending on the actual launch date).
But since they've overestimated the 3DS price after the positive feedback at E3, hopefully they've felt some of the backlash in this year and bring out some 1st party goods regardless...
Otherwise a launch buy seems highly unikely for me, while they really didn't have too much to do to get me hyped for this thing

Nintendo Directs have been every two months until now. The last one was late June where they revealed the 3DS XL...

I think it's based on the fact that there has been a Nintendo direct every 2 months for quite some time now. The last one we had was back in June, so August is when the next one should be.

That's assuming they don't skip the Nintendo Direct altogether and just announce everything at the Fall Conference.
Thanks! I forgot that there is a ND every two months. I'm assuming they're saving a lot of new Wii U information for the Fall briefing, but hopefully they give us a ton of information this month that will satisfy our cravings. :p

Hoodbury

I know I'd be more interested to hear what MDX has to say. We've had two people now who say they have sources as well that don't agree with his. But him saying he believes Oct 1st 100% intrigues me. But maybe I'm a bit different in the way I would word things than him, meaning I wouldn't say 100% pretty much ever. Who knows, but I'd like to hear more from him and about his source. Is his source someone who works for Nintendo, a third party developer company, a game website, a news website, etc? Who is this source? Of course don't need specifics out in the open, but it'd be nice to know what this sources background is and how he could come with such bold statements with such confidence.

Banned
I'm starting to think there is no August Nintendo Direct or big fall conference. I think all there is now is the big marketing push for the October release of the Wii U.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Punch-Out's commercial is better than all of those.

"I'm going to make him cry...and I'm gonna mop the floor with his tears."

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm starting to think there is no August Nintendo Direct or big fall conference. I think all there is now is the big marketing push for the October release of the Wii U.

Nah. There will be at least one, if not both.

How do you get tags?

And I thought I told you guys HylianTom is tied up in my basement until we get leaks. So it's up to you "insiders" to free him or not. He's being fed 3 times a day. Lots of cookies. ThunderMonkey is in my basement by choice and won't leave. I need to stop baking :(

You probably should.

I am getting faaaaat because of the awesome baked goods.

Hard to sleep though since you haven't let Hylian go to the bathroom in weeks and he's starting to cry and stink like cookiepoo.

Meelow

Banned
I love how he says he doesn't 'feel' it's the real deal.

Lol yeah.

05d.jpg

Banned
That Metroid Other M trailer still convinces me it's an awesome game. Then I play it...

Still, it let's me see a live action version of the varia suit :)

I want awesome baked goods! Don't eat too many. Fat fingers won't work on the Wii U Gamepad.

The gameplay is awesome. The story, not so much.

…oh? Maybe I should pick it up. I find the stories in most games to be pretty much worth ignoring.

Unless maybe the story serves the gameplay. It drives me up the wall that in Dead Space: Extraction, there's one point where the game just runs out of story and magically ends if somebody gets sucked into the ceiling by a monster, and another point where you just shrug another incidence of the same damned thing off and continue on as if it never happened!

AzaK

…oh? Maybe I should pick it up. I find the stories in most games to be pretty much worth ignoring.

Unless maybe the story serves the gameplay. It drives me up the wall that in Dead Space: Extraction, there's one point where the game just runs out of story and magically ends if somebody gets sucked into the ceiling by a monster, and another point where you just shrug another incidence of the same damned thing off and continue on as if it never happened!

If you're looking for a game you could do a LOT worse than Other M. I'm playing through it right now and thoroughly enjoying it.

I've only played about 5 hours to be fair, but it was a lot of fun. The problem is the cut scenes aren't skippable, are quite long, and largely nonsensical.

Yeah I could only get a few hours in myself. Those cutscenes just felt so tedious... just a bit too much for me. Had some fun with the gameplay though.

jacksrb

I just made a few more mock up box arts, so I just wanted to share them and the ones I made earlier as well. :p The style is starting to grow on me, and I think it'll be successful on the shelf sitting with the competitors' games. Even the yellow looks cool now.
land.png

Nice work - I especially like the NintendoLand mock. Maybe they will go with something like this if it is a pack in. Otherwise, I think it won't be so elegant as it doesn't scream 'fun minigame' or trade on the multiple Nintendo brands.

japtor

http://andriasang.com/con25x/famitsu_feature_part_3/
Marvelous Entertainment's Kenichiro Takaki, massive breast producer of Senran Kagura, says that there are plans for Senran Kagura outside of just an anime. He also says that he feels an idea he has for using the Wii U's functionality could totally work, although this is just in his head right now. Takaki promises to work hard to continue making games that make you say "they've made another game that makes no sense."

Banned
If you're looking for a game you could do a LOT worse than Other M. I'm playing through it right now and thoroughly enjoying it.

It's not a bad game, it's just not a good Metroid game.

If the Metroid label was not on the cover, the game would have been more positively received.

It's the same with FFXIII. I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2, but because of the high expectations of Final Fantasy it gets torched by fans.

If FFXIII and XIII-2 released under a name other than FF they would have gotten better reception.

Pineconn

The thing about Other M is that people were expecting something along the lines of a Prime, which is nothing like how the game ended up being. For what it's worth I quite enjoyed it... even if there was no area music, like, at all.

I just made a few more mock up box arts, so I just wanted to share them and the ones I made earlier as well. :p The style is starting to grow on me, and I think it'll be successful on the shelf sitting with the competitors' games. Even the yellow looks cool now.

noonlyon.png

Awesome work! But the French portion should read "1 à 5 Joueurs" ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The thing about Other M is that people were expecting something along the lines of a Prime, which is nothing like how the game ended up being. For what it's worth I quite enjoyed it... even if there was no area music, like, at all.

People were expecting Metroid, and it was a poor Metroid game. Not just for the story (which was terrible and out of place), but the design curve of the game. And I say this as someone who still enjoyed it, and felt it set decent foundations (eg: combat system, the way you navigate Samus around the environments, etc) for what could be an excellent Metroid game. It didn't really feel like a proper Metroid game until the post-game content kicked in, and by then it was too little too late.

It and Hunters are the black sheep of the Metroid family and rightly so. I hope that whatever Nintendo does with Metroid next is at the very least on track for what Metroid does best, and not what Metroid isn't.

brainpann

It's not a bad game, it's just not a good Metroid game.

If the Metroid label was not on the cover, the game would have been more positively received.

Other M is a great game if you don't pay attention to the story. Not sure I can say the same thing about FF13.

Opinions, eh? They're like assholes. Everyone's got one. :)

This just in: Miyamoto's Good Friend Reveals WiiU Specs

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/young-ones-i-give-you-the-wii-u-specs.452612143/page-4

Obvious joke post (although BG seems interested in it :p), but still an entertaining read nonetheless. He claims 2.5GB of shared RAM, a four core CPU at 3.0GHz (he says it's 5-7X the Xenon) and a GPU based on the E6760 @650 GFlops (4-6X the Xenos). The specs are a little too much, but I commend him for his presentation.

Meelow

Banned

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/young-ones-i-give-you-the-wii-u-specs.452612143/page-4

Obvious joke post (although BG seems interested in it :p), but still an entertaining read nonetheless. He claims 2.5GB of shared RAM, a four core CPU at 3.0GHz (he says it's 5-7X the Xenon) and a GPU based on the E6760 @650 GFlops (4-6X the Xenos). The specs are a little too much, but I commend him for his presentation.

Wait, so that's just a joke post or a legit post?.

Missed some of the other components. Only really paid attention to the GPU part.

Nintendo said:
Nintendo has finalized the design of the Wii U game box art, and many of our publishing partners have already incorporated it into their own game packaging. We are seeing those game packages online as retailers are starting to showcase their games. For details about a specific game’s artwork, please contact the game’s publisher. Nintendo-published game boxes will appear shortly with placeholder logos, and then ultimately with the final artwork for each game.

Sauce.

I have heard the same about the CPU.

The Wii U promotional materials going out jives with what I had heard about Nintendo working with stores to have a bigger presence in stores before launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom