• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Going back on topic (you know, the whole "GFLOPS debate, or what not) Here is what I have concluded that the Wii U will have inside (through careful research and reasoning):

A tri-core PowerPC A2 variant @ 3.0GHz with an 8MB L3 cache (PowerPC uses WAY less power than POWER7 while still pumping out impressive numbers. When IMB said to Engadget that Wii U would use "the same technology as Watson", I concluded taht IBM threw an L3 cache onto a PowerPC A2) with 72 GFLOPS DP (double precision)

A Radeon HD 6750/7750 based hybrid (low TDP, high-ish performance) @800MHz with 32MB of eDRAM as a framebuffer and 800-900 GFLOPS.

1.5GB of fast RAM for the system RAM and 512MB of slower RAM for the OS.

A dedicated sound processor @ 120-150MHz.

And all with a power requirement of about 100 watts.

Sound reasonable enough?
Edit:I think the GPU is clocked too high. Maybe 500-675mhz is a better estimate.

I also think overall TDP may be in the 40-80W zone.

Banned
Going back on topic (you know, the whole "GFLOPS debate, or what not) Here is what I have concluded that the Wii U will have inside (through careful research and reasoning):

A tri-core PowerPC A2 variant @ 3.0GHz with an 8MB L3 cache (PowerPC uses WAY less power than POWER7 while still pumping out impressive numbers. When IMB said to Engadget that Wii U would use "the same technology as Watson", I concluded taht IBM threw an L3 cache onto a PowerPC A2) with 72 GFLOPS DP (double precision)

A Radeon HD 6750/7750 based hybrid (low TDP, high-ish performance) @800MHz with 32MB of eDRAM as a framebuffer and 800-900 GFLOPS.

Sound reasonable enough?
Way too powerful for what we have heard.

Try more like a 2.0Ghz tricore CPU with a 600 Gflop GPU with 32mb eDRAM and 2GB of DDR3 RAM. The DSP sounds reasonable. 120Mhz probably.

I think the GPU is clocked too high. Maybe 500-600mhz is a better estimate.

eh...650-700, maybe? Katsuhiro Harada said that the CPU's clock speed was kinda low, not the GPU (stating that it would ,ake the system run too hot). a 28nm (I am almost certain that Nintendo is going to be using that process since they allways go the smallest that is available) running at 800MHz (aka, the radeon HD 7750) only gets to about 40 degrees celcius (104 farenheit) under heavy load. Dropping it down to 700 MHz would bring the GPU temp down to 85 degrees farenheit.

JordanN

Banned
eh...650-700, maybe? Katsuhiro Harada said that the CPU's clock speed was kinda low, not the GPU (stating that it would ,ake the system run too hot). a 28nm (I am almost certain that Nintendo is going to be using that process since they allways go the smallest that is available) running at 800MHz (aka, the radeon HD 7750) only gets to about 40 degrees celcius (104 farenheit) under heavy load. Dropping it down to 700 MHz would bring the GPU temp down to 85 degrees farenheit.
I don't think Nintendo switched to the GCN rich GPU or 28nm process. Instead, I think they worked with a 32nm or 40nm R700 architecture and then threw new shit like compute shaders, eyefinity on top of it.

Of course, these are my guesses for Wii U.

I don't think Nintendo switched to the GCN rich GPU or 28nm. Instead, I think they worked with a 32nm or 40nm R700 architecture and then threw new shit like compute shaders, hull shaders on top of it.

Of course, these are my guesses for Wii U.

40nm runs hot. REALLY damn hot and uses a LOT of power. For all we know, Nintendo could have been in talks with AMD and asked for 28nm. I guess we'll find out when someone tears apart their launch model and X-rays the damn components.

JordanN

Banned
40nm runs hot. REALLY damn hot and uses a LOT of power. For all we know, Nintendo could have been in talks with AMD and asked for 28nm. I guess we'll find out when someone tears apart their launch model and X-rays the damn components.
Well 28nm is fairly new. And Nintendo follows this philosophy called lateral thinking of withered technology, so that's why I'm more inclined to believe it's 32/40nm. I mean, the CPU is 45nm for instance (although this could be coincidence).

But yeah, we'll see once it's x-rayed.

Edit: I actually think the GPU could go higher. So 500-675mhz.

AzaK

Sound reasonable enough?

Someone saw the power supply and it was about 90W IIRC. So less that that for optimal performance.

The Wii didn't have a huge screen, nor was its case designed to be very long (in relation to Wii U).

I dunno, that's just me. I'll never understand how people confuse the two. Ok, the name I can understand but the actual physical product? I'm pretty sure I could show my parents the two and they'll be able to tell the difference more so than my 3DS and DS.

Agreed. The U is also curved as opposed to the straight lines that make up the Wii. And even if people are likely to confuse the two (which I seriously doubt myself personally) marketing should stop this being a problem.

Hey guys. You may remember mii from the Wii U Speculation thread. I posted a couple times but since E3 Ihaven't really been looking into this thread. I gt so dehyped at E3 that I even considered not getting a WiiU at launch and instead getting a Vita.

But with news of box arts, early marketing materials, possible price and relase date on the 13th, and the possibility of a October launch has gotten my rehyped. I just can't resist the almighty Nintendo D:

I was worried if it did come out in October, that I wouldn't have enough money, but as long as its middle October I will be good. I will be pissed if I can't get it launch day and may do something drastic like sell something :(

lol...anywayz: I am back on the hype train!

...and I am like five pages behind. Some things never change.

Stulaw

Hey guys. You may remember mii from the Wii U Speculation thread. I posted a couple times but since E3 Ihaven't really been looking into this thread. I gt so dehyped at E3 that I even considered not getting a WiiU at launch and instead getting a Vita.

But with news of box arts, early marketing materials, possible price and relase date on the 13th, and the possibility of a October launch has gotten my rehyped. I just can't resist the almighty Nintendo D:

I was worried if it did come out in October, that I wouldn't have enough money, but as long as its middle October I will be good. I will be pissed if I can't get it launch day and may do something drastic like sell something :(

lol...anywayz: I am back on the hype train!

...and I am like five pages behind. Some things never change.
Don't worry, I'm sure you've noticed that the thread's been going in circles.

Havent we already seen Nintendo's first party?

Anyway, we'll know the systems true power once we get a tear down.

I don't think a 2D platformer, a couple minigame games and a game that spent most of it's life as a Wii game are good determiners of power. The depth of field effect in Pikmin is really the only thing that could be called next gen, and that's really stretching it. The Retro and EAD games will probably be the first look at what the WiiU will be capable of in it's first couple years. Unless Pikmin 3 has a seen a decent graphical upgrade that is.

Havent we already seen Nintendo's first party?

Anyway, we'll know the systems true power once we get a tear down.

What we've seen is appropriate for the games in question.

If Retro and EAD Tokyo's endeavors look like their Wii games with current gen technical flourishes then we can safely say there isn't much in the way of power.

I remain optimistic that the system isn't a powerhouse on the level of the Orbis or Durango, but the fact that it's running more than competent ports of last gen consoles means it at the minimum is as powerful as them. The fact that Batman can run two 3D screens in tandem with minimal (if any) compromises points to marginal if not substantive improvements.

wsippel

Banned
The IBM press release mentions the CPU is built on Silicon on Insulator. Is that the same thing as SoC?

"IBM plans to produce millions of chips for Nintendo featuring IBM Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology at 45 nanometers (45 billionths of a meter). "
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss
SoC means "system on a chip". All components (CPU, GPU, eDRAM, IO) on a single die. Cheaper for less complex designs, faster and more energy efficient.

Just thought I'd let you know, Eurogamer ran the Toki Tori story this morning, and one of their guys, Collo, is in the comments answering question :)

Nibel

Producer Guillaume Brunier told EDGE in their current issue that Ubisoft has ideas for ZombiU 2 already - seems like we will definetely get a sequel

hey guys can you believe it! Wii U is almost out!! Its not even like waiting for E3

Producer Guillaume Brunier told EDGE in their current issue that Ubisoft has ideas for ZombiU 2 already - seems like we will definetely get a sequel

even more reason to give it the Halloween boost on Wii U before it jumps ship to PS4

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I remain optimistic that the system isn't a powerhouse on the level of the Orbis or Durango, but the fact that it's running more than competent ports of last gen consoles means it at the minimum is as powerful as them. The fact that Batman can run two 3D screens in tandem with minimal (if any) compromises points to marginal if not substantive improvements.

I'm really keen to see how Batman shapes up, from a tech point of view. It's a port, so efforts are surely low. It's UE3, which though a great engine, is kind of hit-and-miss on consoles depending on the game (eg: it has always performed much better on the 360 versus PS3). And maxed on on PC, Arkham City looks quite gorgeous, so there's a lot of headroom to 'improve' the look of the game (even if performance tanks due to poor optimisation, hello DX11).

I'm pretty confident AC3 will be the best of all ports. I guess in many ways I consider Arkham City a 'worst case scenario' kind of thing. I'm very interested to see just what kind of framerate the game runs at compared to the 360/PS3 build. Especially with, as you said, it rendering a separate scene on the pad.

If that happens I'm gonna write a strongly worded letter telling UbiSoft that they sold out and refusing to buy their games again...

I don't really mean that but it would be hilarious

We will judge Ubisoft's loyalty by watching Assassin's Creed III: Liberation for Vita

if this jumps ship to something else, Zombi U will soon become Zombi X and Zombi Smart Glass :3

I'm really keen to see how Batman shapes up, from a tech point of view. It's a port, so efforts are surely low. It's UE3, which though a great engine, is kind of hit-and-miss on consoles depending on the game (eg: it has always performed much better on the 360 versus PS3). And maxed on on PC, Arkham City looks quite gorgeous, so there's a lot of headroom to 'improve' the look of the game (even if performance tanks due to poor optimisation, hello DX11).

I'm pretty confident AC3 will be the best of all ports. I guess in many ways I consider Arkham City a 'worst case scenario' kind of thing. I'm very interested to see just what kind of framerate the game runs at compared to the 360/PS3 build. Especially with, as you said, it rendering a separate scene on the pad.

Arkham City on Wii U seems to get the least attention among fans waiting for the Wii U launch. It got a lot of flack for the costume design I'm guessing
was this not GOTY at some point? Arkham City Wii U seems to have a lot added to it that have not been presented well so I am still on the fence to see how it turns out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Arkham City on Wii U seems to get the least attention among fans waiting for the Wii U launch. It got a lot of flack for the costume design I'm guessing
was this not GOTY at some point? Arkham City Wii U seems to have a lot added to it that have not been presented well so I am still on the fence to see how it turns out.

Arkham City is a good contender for my favourite sandbox games ever, and far and away one of the best games of last year. But it is, after all, a port that will be ~one year old upon release. Creed 3 is no doubt getting more attention, but it's much newer. By now most people have probably played Arkham City on 360, PS3 or PC.

Arkham City is a good contender for my favourite sandbox games ever, and far and away one of the best games of last year. But it is, after all, a port that will be ~one year old upon release. Creed 3 is no doubt getting more attention, but it's much newer. By now most people have probably played Arkham City on 360, PS3 or PC.

is it closer to a gta kind of experience than it is arkham asylum in terms of gameplay?

EatChildren

is it closer to a gta kind of experience than it is arkham asylum in terms of gameplay?

Umm. Arkham Asylum is to Metroid what Arkham City is to Zelda :p. If you've played Asylum you'll know it's a Metroidvania experience through and through. Lots of interconnected halls, back tracking, item use to explore the overall environment further, and so on. City is more like Zelda, in that you have one big overworld/hub (aka: Hyrule Field) you can freely explore at your own leisure, while main missions tend to take place in interiors located around the hub (aka: dungeons in Zelda), with unlocked items allowing you to traverse further into 'dungeons'. Plus there's a handful of 'overworld' missions too.

Personally I feel Aslyum flowed a lot better than City, but as an open world/sandbox to be explore City delivers the goods.

Umm. Arkham Asylum is to Metroid what Arkham City is to Zelda :p. If you've played Asylum you'll know it's a Metroidvania experience through and through. Lots of interconnected halls, back tracking, item use to explore the overall environment further, and so on. City is more like Zelda, in that you have one big overworld/hub (aka: Hyrule Field) you can freely explore at your own leisure, while main missions tend to take place in interiors located around the hub (aka: dungeons in Zelda), with unlocked items allowing you to traverse further into 'dungeons'. Plus there's a handful of 'overworld' missions too.

Personally I feel Aslyum flowed a lot better than City, but as an open world/sandbox to be explore City delivers the goods.

Excellent, that's what I was secretly hoping you'd say :p.

Nibel

Rocksteadys Batman games are nothing like GTA at all; EC's Metroid/Zelda comparison is spot on.

So fucking good games; I still remember so much from AA..

cannot wait to see the sales numbers for these things...

hopefully NPD will not just lump all of them together so we can tell if the Wii U can sell these core games. I'm sure Nintendo will release those anyway

I played Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago for the first time.

It really feels like Batroid. But with really fun and fluid melee combat.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Someone saw the power supply and it was about 90W IIRC. So less that that for optimal performance.
Nintendo pulling another BYOPS* console confirmed.

(*) bring your own power supply

The IBM press release mentions the CPU is built on Silicon on Insulator. Is that the same thing as SoC?

"IBM plans to produce millions of chips for Nintendo featuring IBM Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology at 45 nanometers (45 billionths of a meter). "
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss
SOI is a substrate tech. SoC is an integration paradigm.

Stulaw

I'm surprised no-one seems interested in Lego City Undercover, it looks really good (no where near an indicator of power, but still).

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm surprised no-one seems interested in Lego City Undercover, it looks really good (no where near an indicator of power, but still).

can't really be excited about something they haven't really shown off.

all we've seen are very short trailers and some janky off-screen footage.

no different from the Wii launch.

it came out mid-November in the US and Japan and first week of December in Europe (8th I believe?)

Hmm... I wonder how much of that was speculation and how much was based on factual data... I thought Nintendo always launched consoles later in Europe... a staggered launch to lessen the pressure on their supply chains.

EDarkness

Lego City is definitely one of the launch games I'm gonna pick up. The game looks real cool to me, so I'll be there day one.

Nibel

Updated my MP4 boxart mockup :)

iECATShKqorxD.png

I think I got used to the Wii U boxart design. And the more I think about it, the more I realize how unimportant it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom