• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't really be excited about something they haven't really shown off.

all we've seen are very short trailers and some janky off-screen footage.

no different from the Wii launch.

it came out mid-November in the US and Japan and first week of December in Europe (8th I believe?)
Now you put it like that its not that bad. Still, I wanted Europe gaf to have it close or around the time North America gets it. Even though it has no release date.. -_-

D-e-f-

Banned
Now you put it like that its not that bad. Still, I wanted Europe gaf to have it close or around the time North America gets it. Even though it has no release date.. -_-

now I'll switch it around on ya and say it WAS really bad if you were in full hype mode ... I mean, hearing all those reports about how fun Wii Bowling was and friggin ZELDA!! and you sit there and go "oh well ...three more weeks."

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I think I got used to the Wii U boxart design. And the more I think about it, the more I realize how unimportant it actually is.
Actually it's quite important, with some deep symbolism behind it. Here, let me decipher it for you.

The azure overtone represents the Endless Blue Ocean (tm), while the thin yellow strip represents the sandy beach shores to that ocean, aka the Hardcore (tm). It's all very Zen.

Nibel

Actually it's quite important, with some deep symbolism behind it. Here, let me decipher it for you.

The azure overtone represents the Endless Blue Ocean (tm), while the thin yellow strip represents the sandy beach shores to that ocean, aka the Hardcore (tm). It's all very Zen.

ibec3ligBuiBat.gif

I saw it as the hardcore pissing a stream of urine in the blue ocean of casual Wii gaming *shrugs*

A bit of a joke article to be honest. Doesnt surprise me though since everything they write about the Wii U is very negative. When Fifa was unveiled they were the only site not to mention there would be graphical improvements.

With this one, how can a console that was slated to only have have a late 2012 release date be 'delayed' until December? Show me any evidence/proof that says the console was scheduled to be released before this date.

For the record, the Wii was also released in December and went full steam ahead to great success. IMO December would always have been the planned date, with Japan and the US in November.

Van Owen

Banned
so that's 125% more pixels when you go from 720p up to 1080p

why the hell would anyone think we will get 1080p 60fps consistently from the new gen from any console?

1080p 30fps at least seems pretty feasible for Durango and Orbis.

Wii U getting 1080p current gen games, not so much.

jerd

1080p 30fps at least seems pretty feasible for Durango and Orbis.

Wii U getting 1080p current gen games, not so much.

The difference between 1080p and 720p is pretty minimal to me. The difference between 60fps and 30fps is not. I'm team 720p60fps.

Van Owen

Banned
The difference between 1080p and 720p is pretty minimal to me. The difference between 60fps and 30fps is not. I'm team 720p60fps.

Yeah, I think there will be some developers that prefer 720p with higher fps and more effects on Durango and Orbis instead of 1080p.

With Wii U tho, most games are probably technically restricted to 720p. Like I don't think you'll see anything like AC3 in 1080p on Wii U.

The TwoTribes confirming OffTV play thread is offically down the shithole.

Normal discussion about Nintendo is next to impossible on this forum!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I assume none of you played a game at 1080p 60 FPS because that shows you how outdated 720p games actually are
And yet I play all my 720p games at 1080p DPI by setting the PS3 to 720p and telling my TV not to upscale the image ; ]

jerd

Nothing can prepare you for whats coming. Wii U launch weeks will be HELL on NeoGAF.

E3 was just the foreshadowing...

I realize there is a lot of Nintendo hate on gaf, but the thread regarding ME3's off-tv play had a lot of positive reactions. Of course with hate thrown in here and there.

kitsuneyo

A developer from Two Tribes is answering more Toki Tori 2 questions in the comments below this news story: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-10-toki-tori-2-flutters-onto-wii-u-in-1080p

I tried to get him to spill some news about the achievements, but he wasn't for fooling.

Questions have been mostly the same as yesterday's but here are some new-ish bits:

Q. Do you plan a Vita release?
A. No Vita plans. Lovely handheld, but no gamers yet for us to reach.

Q. Is there anyway you could give us an idea of the tech behind the Wii U?. Not full details, just an idea of whats inside the thing as the anticipation is killing me.
A. Can't disclose much of it. But looking at the ease with which Unreal Engine games and for instance Assassin's Creed seem to be ported, you can deduct quite a lot.

Q. Does the fact that this has to declare it supports "Off-TV Play" mean that not all games will support one of the consoles most trumpeted features?
A. not all games will be suitable for it. It's not a technical limitation, but a design one.

EDIT - Someone beat me to this earlier, sorry.

Meelow

Banned
I realize there is a lot of Nintendo hate on gaf, but the thread regarding ME3's off-tv play had a lot of positive reactions. Of course with hate thrown in here and there.

People are just still annoyed by E3, a week before E3 Nintendo was getting so much love It felt like the 90's, people will get over E3 and people are starting to get over it.

Wich is why i cannot understand the need to shit on a freaking thread about Toki Tori 2! Were they just kin the mood? Butthurt because its PC/Wii U only? IDK!

But the hate is really annoying as f*ck

Meelow

Banned
Wich is why i cannot understand the need to shit on a freaking thread about Toki Tori 2! Were they just kin the mood? Butthurt because its PC/Wii U only? IDK!

I think a lot of people are Sony/Microsoft fanboys that secretly want the feature with the PS4/720 but they won't admit it.

jerd

That thread was such a troll from the very beginning. It was pretty silly. A thread about the q & a as a whole would have been much better than zeroing in on a single tweet and attempting to make it seem negative. They tweeted many more interesting things like the ease of development.

RAWi

Talking about the "Off-TV Play" feature.

Since it seems that will be one of the most used features on the Wii U.

Do you think that it could stay as a standard for the future consoles? (No PS4/Xbox, but the generations after the next one).

jerd

I wonder if the "off-tv play is worthless, that's why most people have multiple TVs for" argument is ever going to die out. That's my personal favorite. Personally, I don't enjoy quitting my game and packing up my console and moving to a different room every time someone needs the TV I'm on, but I suppose that is just me.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like August 13 (this Monday) could be the pre-order date, according to the Wii U Thread over on the gaming side..
Juicy! Though this makes me wonder if Nintendo will announce the price and release date in the upcoming Nintendo Direct broadcast or if they will wait until later. Iwata did say in the most recent investor meeting that they would release these details during the fall, and August isn't to me at least a part of the fall (which starts in the Northern hemisphere by the end of September).

Do you think that it could stay as a standard for the future consoles? (No PS4/Xbox, but the generations after the next one).

I would say it depends on how successful the WiiU is, but the Wii situation doesn't agree with that. If Nintendo thinks of a new idea between now and Gen IX that they like, they'll go with it.

jerd

I think it is really just going to depend on where the tech takes us. I don't see the Wii U's successor using a tablet controller, just because Nintendo will likely want to introduce a fresh control method. I think it will probably be possible for consoles to stream video to tablets in the future, so in that sense probably. But as far as being an integral part of the system design, maybe not.

Pharros

I wonder if the "off-tv play is worthless, that's why most people have multiple TVs for" argument is ever going to die out. That's my personal favorite. Personally, I don't enjoy quitting my game and packing up my console and moving to a different room every time someone needs the TV I'm on, but I suppose that is just me.

I agree, it is pure ignorance to assume that everyone has the space and can afford multiple large televisions. Especially in places such as Japan. Not only that, but those people must not have significant others who like to watch their own programs which can be quite unappealing to the person gaming. I'd much rather switch my game to the Upad and sit with the girlfriend than packing up the console to move elsewhere.

D-e-f-

Banned

Yea I don't get that either. I mean how can you be mad at a feature that is OPTIONAL or say it's useless when it is clearly not useless since many people will find plenty use for it. Imagine you actually WANT to hang out in the room while someone else is using the TV (on the off-chance that you actually LIKE the people you live with^^) and you can just keep playing on the GamePad without any hassle.

Not every game is a super-engaging cinematic-experience that has to be consumed as such 100% of the time. Farming some loot in Darksiders 2 or questing in Dragon Quest X? Just keep playing on the screen while someone else is watching the news or whatnot (assuming those games support that feature - I think Darksiders 2 is a safe bet since it uses it as a map/quick-select inventory like Mass Effect 3, as far as we know).

It's one of my favorite features of the system. My bed is very close to the main TV but it's facing in the other direction and is located behind it so hanging out in bed on the weekend, playing some NSMB.U or Trine 2 on the pad? Sounds fantastic to me!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Standards are defined by just that: a standard expected by consumers. If the Wii U explodes and the concept of off-screen gaming becomes a frequently used and expected hardware feature for consumers then yeah, everyone will jump on board.

Nintendo won't be the only ones pushing it. Apple is arguably already doing their own version of "no computer/tv" peripheral with the iPad and succeeding greatly. I figure their TV systems will offer something quite similar, integrating iPads into the home network.

Success is at the behest of the consumer though. Take 3D for an example. I for one feel 3D is a gimmick for film. But for video games I think stereo 3D objectively enhances the experience. I love 3D in gaming. But consumers don't seem to really care about 3D, and though Nintendo banked on it I don't believe the glasses free 3D of the 3DS is the strong selling point they desired. Consumers don't seem to care much about 3D in the grand scheme of things, thus it probably wont be a marketed standard.

I wonder if the "off-tv play is worthless, that's why most people have multiple TVs for" argument is ever gong to die out. That's my personal favorite. Personally, I don't enjoy quitting my game and packing up my console and moving to a different room every time someone needs the TV I'm on, but I suppose that is just me.

Off-TV play is cool. But I'm pretty confident it will be a niche selling point in the west. It's a design feature derived from Japanese thinking, targeting the Japanese market where households are much more likely to have only one TV and smaller space. Though I only have one TV, I know a lot of people who have two, or don't really find their TV gaming time invaded by other features. For these people off-TV gaming is less of a big deal, and this will be common for the American market.

so that's 125% more pixels when you go from 720p up to 1080p

why the hell would anyone think we will get 1080p 60fps consistently from the new gen from any console?

Puts things in perspective doesn't it? I normally look at it as 1080p having 2.25x more pixels than 720p.

I think we need a Wii U garbage thread

That's what this one is. ;)

Perhaps I'm verging on conspiracy theory here, but the picture of Wii at this link leads me to believe otherwise.

If they go SoC, I'm guessing mixed-signal. But I'm still going to say the parts are discrete with a MCM that contains the GPU.

jerd

Yea I don't get that either. I mean how can you be mad at a feature that is OPTIONAL or say it's useless when it is clearly not useless since many people will find plenty use for it. Imagine you actually WANT to hang out in the room while someone else is using the TV (on the off-chance that you actually LIKE the people you live with^^) and you can just keep playing on the GamePad without any hassle.

Not every game is a super-engaging cinematic-experience that has to be consumed as such 100% of the time. Farming some loot in Darksiders 2 or questing in Dragon Quest X? Just keep playing on the screen while someone else is watching the news or whatnot (assuming those games support that feature - I think Darksiders 2 is a safe bet since it uses it as a map/quick-select inventory like Mass Effect 3, as far as we know).

It's one of my favorite features of the system. My bed is very close to the main TV but it's facing in the other direction and is located behind it so hanging out in bed on the weekend, playing some NSMB.U or Trine 2 on the pad? Sounds fantastic to me!

Couldn't possibly agree more. I hardly ever have a single player gaming experience that I feel the need to be completely isolated from the rest of the world for. The only example I can think of is a survival horror game. Other than that, I am ecstatic to sit with my girlfriend and roommate and actually hang out with them while messing around on NBA 2K, doing Pikmin challenges, or whatever else I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom