• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.5GB of fast RAM for the system RAM and 512MB of slower RAM for the OS.

In addition to what others have said, the things we've heard about the RAM suggested that Nintendo is reserving RAM for the OS out of the same pool as that used by the rest of the console.

cannot wait to see the sales numbers for these things...

hopefully NPD will not just lump all of them together so we can tell if the Wii U can sell these core games. I'm sure Nintendo will release those anyway

This might be one of those situations where the console-specific list will prove useful. NPD still gives that out, right?

Updated my MP4 boxart mockup :)

Just saying, but your mockups were one of the particular highlights of the Speculation Threads.

Meelow

Banned
I have a new theory, Nintendo and Sony threads usually go down hill but Microsoft threads are always fine...Xbox gets the most praised I see and Nintendo and Sony gets the most hated.

chris3116

Talking about the "Off-TV Play" feature.

Since it seems that will be one of the most used features on the Wii U.

Do you think that it could stay as a standard for the future consoles? (No PS4/Xbox, but the generations after the next one).

I think the console and handheld markets will be one market in a couple years. What I mean huge games that console can have will be played on a portable periphical. People will say Vita/PS3 do the same thing and better but it's not since it's still 2 different platforms not a hybrid platform. Will it be standard? right now tablets have the momentum on the tech side. Next gen, we don't know Nintendo could find another way to play games.

And yes, I can see some Sony and Microsoft fanboys complaing at that and they want to see this on PS4 or Xbox 3 as well.

jerd

Off-TV play is cool. But I'm pretty confident it will be a niche selling point in the west. It's a design feature derived from Japanese thinking, targeting the Japanese market where households are much more likely to have only one TV and smaller space. Though I only have one TV, I know a lot of people who have two, or don't really find their TV gaming time invaded by other features. For these people off-TV gaming is less of a big deal, and this will be common for the American market.

Yeah I guess I just feel like some people are 100% determined to hate this console, and of all things off-tv play is the optional feature that they hate on. I feel like it will be much more than a niche thing, especially in college dorms where you're lucky if you have room for one full size TV.

Yes I realize that my entire post is worthy of that "welcome to neogaf" gif.

I wonder if the "off-tv play is worthless, that's why most people have multiple TVs for" argument is ever going to die out. That's my personal favorite. Personally, I don't enjoy quitting my game and packing up my console and moving to a different room every time someone needs the TV I'm on, but I suppose that is just me.

What, you don't have a LAN Party room? What's wrong with you?

I don't even have an HDTV; would the Wii U actually work on my old set? Maybe I'll have to rely entirely on off-tv play!

Banned
My favorite Nibel mockup was the Wii U main menu one he did awhile back. It had a Samus Mii with pikmin 3 as a the game in the disc channel. It was full of win and will probably be better than what Nintendo comes up with.

My favorite Nibel mockup was the Wii U main menu one he did awhile back. It had a Samus Mii with pikmin 3 as a the game in the disc channel. It was full of win and will probably be better than what Nintendo comes up with.

Are most people assuming so far that the Miiverse and a regular, tabular app selector (like the Wii Menu) will swap between the two screens when you hit (or hold down, or whatever) the home button?

edit:

Rösti;40872887 said:

I could have looked that up in like fifteen seconds. Congratulations, you have proven the true laziness of Americans. :O

Hoodbury

Off-TV play is cool. But I'm pretty confident it will be a niche selling point in the west. It's a design feature derived from Japanese thinking, targeting the Japanese market where households are much more likely to have only one TV and smaller space. Though I only have one TV, I know a lot of people who have two, or don't really find their TV gaming time invaded by other features. For these people off-TV gaming is less of a big deal, and this will be common for the American market.

I think that's pretty accurate. I have my gaming setup downstairs on the big screen tv and another tv upstairs in the family room we use for tv watching. While the offscreen functionality isn't a selling point for me, I might use it every once in awhile to be with my wife more often.

That is actually one of the reasons why I kinda quit my PC gaming habit. The PC is downstairs and in an office so it's even more secluded and I just felt like I was too out of touch with my family in there. The TV setup isn't as bad since we have a split level house so the upstairs and downstairs aren't separated with a door but it's funny how there is that sense of not wanting to be so secluded from family.

If the range is enough, I can now play the main portion of my gaming on the big screen and surround sound and all that cool jazz, but like what others have said, when I'm just winding down or just grinding out some loot or something simple, I can now go upstairs and be with my wife and continue playing.

It's not a system seller for me, but it could end up being a pretty nice to have feature.

Banned
Standards are defined by just that: a standard expected by consumers. If the Wii U explodes and the concept of off-screen gaming becomes a frequently used and expected hardware feature for consumers then yeah, everyone will jump on board.

Nintendo won't be the only ones pushing it. Apple is arguably already doing their own version of "no computer/tv" peripheral with the iPad and succeeding greatly. I figure their TV systems will offer something quite similar, integrating iPads into the home network.

Success is at the behest of the consumer though. Take 3D for an example. I for one feel 3D is a gimmick for film. But for video games I think stereo 3D objectively enhances the experience. I love 3D in gaming. But consumers don't seem to really care about 3D, and though Nintendo banked on it I don't believe the glasses free 3D of the 3DS is the strong selling point they desired. Consumers don't seem to care much about 3D in the grand scheme of things, thus it probably wont be a marketed standard.

I think off play tv will be niche in the west but be a killer feature in Japan where most households only own 1 tv. Kind of the same reason handhelds are huge in Japan. Their not tied to tv's.

Banned
Are most people assuming so far that the Miiverse and a regular, tabular app selector (like the Wii Menu) will swap between the two screens when you hit (or hold down, or whatever) the home button?

edit:

I could have looked that up in like fifteen seconds. Congratulations, you have proven the true laziness of Americans. :O
Yeah that's what I'm pretty much thinking.

brainpann

Off TV play is a BIG reason why I am interested in the Wii U. Between my schedule and only having 1 TV in the house to share with the gf, this feature it very compelling.

JAYinHD

Off TV play is a BIG reason why I am interested in the Wii U. Between my schedule and only having 1 TV in the house to share with the gf, this feature it very compelling.

Yep I'm pretty much in the same boat. Wifey likes watching TV in the front. Even though I can move the system to another room it's much easier to just start playing on the gamepad. heck, my son and daughter will take advantage of this feature big time lol.

D-e-f-

Banned

Yes, that is exactly how I expect things to work.

Iwata said that Miiverse will be the first thing you see once you boot up the system. I suspect there will be an account/login screen before that like on PS3 (though the 360 doesn't have that, right? or does it only come up if you have multiple profiles created on that machine?). Since Miiverse is their big word-of-moth-promotion tool, that will be front and center at all times so people actually see the stuff from other people. Actual functions and "channels" will be selected and displayed on the touch screen with the ability to switch views by pressing the TV button.

That's how it works in my head.

jaz013

Banned
I think off play tv will be niche in the west but be a killer feature in Japan where most households only own 1 tv. Kind of the same reason handhelds are huge in Japan. Their not tied to tv's.

It might be a selling point in many countries in the Americas: at least here in México, most families gather around the "main" (biggest) TV, which is usually in the living room. Having that your video game console won't hog that TV set all the time, means that all the family will have not problem with it.

Even if you have a TV set on your bedroom, it will mean that your brother can watch the fútbol match while you keep grinding on that rpg.

Bumhead

Banned
Off TV Play will keep the Wii U as my most played console by an absolute marathon stretch next gen, irrespective of how powerful the system is compared to PS4/720.

That's the difference for me. It's probably a better feature for me than any discussions on raw power or grunt under the hood.

You will also be able to switch screens by clicking that icon in the corner of the MiiVerse screen with a Wii Remote.

beGD8.jpg

You can see the cursor here.

I hope a lot of games feature Off-TV play, especially if developers can't come up with a great idea for the second screen.

I hate the internet.

Now the press (I use that term very lightly) and Wii fan-idiots are twisting Two Tribe's 1080p no sweat comment as 'the Wii U handles 1080p no sweat' in general.

Rich makes some great videos, but he's selling a lie here... quite disappointed with him.

I suspect there will be an account/login screen before that like on PS3 (though the 360 doesn't have that, right? or does it only come up if you have multiple profiles created on that machine?).

Well, as long as the camera on the GamePad magically recognizes your face so that you don't have to enter in a password, I'll be happy.

Or maybe that NFC device/card that folks were talking about a month or two ago, maybe you can put that on the Pad to identify yourself.

Van Owen

Banned
I hate the internet.

Now the press (I use that term very lightly) and Wii fan-idiots are twisting Two Tribe's 1080p no sweat comment as 'the Wii U handles 1080p no sweat' in general.

Rich makes some great videos, but he's selling a lie here... quite disappointed with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ0J81elz8&feature=g-all-u

An iPad could handle that game at 1080p no sweat. Not sure why anyone would draw conclusions from that example except being a fanboy.

You're saying it can't!? D:

Lol, I'm not saying it can or can't, I'm saying if you have a platform to give out information to an audience, then make sure you are giving facts out. Wii U does complex 3d retail games at 1080p without breaking a sweat? Fuck yeah, bring it on!!! But we all know secretly that probably isn't going to be an option (see EC/BG posts above.)

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, as long as the camera on the GamePad magically recognizes your face so that you don't have to enter in a password, I'll be happy.

Or maybe that NFC device/card that folks were talking about a month or two ago, maybe you can put that on the Pad to identify yourself.

erm ... wouldn't hitting (A) be way way waaaay easier than all of those fancy options? :)

erm ... wouldn't hitting (A) be way way waaaay easier than all of those fancy options? :)

If there are multiple accounts, how would hitting (A) tell the system who you are in a secure manner?

edit:
Me too. Such a good idea.

My jury is out until we discover that the range is big enough to reach around to my bathroom (that'd be four or five meters with one closed door in the way of the signal).

(HylianTom will apparently remain silent until he learns that it can reach his back porch)

Meelow

Banned
Apparently Nintendo Customer Service confirmed that Black Wii U will be at launch!.

"Finally, I can confirm that the Wii U will be released in both Black and White. In case you hadn't yet had the opportunity, I wanted to let you know that everything we have available to share regarding Wii U has been added to our website. Here's a direct link:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu

Additional details (like price and release date) will be unveiled later this year; however, we don't have any specific
dates or events to announce yet. I encourage you to keep checking our website's "What's New" section (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew) for the latest information.

Thanks again for your email!

Sincerely,

Jay Dean
Nintendo of America"

On Go-Nintendo

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
free–tv could not be interesting for some people. I can understand that. but saying that is useful is non–sense.
it is a new additional feature, a new possibility that wasn't there before. and now it will be possible to do it for some games.
I think that a lot of people will benefit from this feature, in differenr ways due to different situations.
personally, I've got just 1 tv in my house, and I'll have to share it with my wife and my son.
I'm foreseeing many different situations of my normal life that will push me in using tha gamepad tv–free, for gaming but not only.
it will be important to guarantee a good range of distance between the console and the gamepad, and the chance to boot on the system directly from the pad

D-e-f-

Banned
If there are multiple accounts, how would hitting (A) tell the system who you are in a secure manner?

in a scenario with multiple accounts, hitting down or up a couple of times and confirming with (A) should be a lot faster than dodgy facial recognition ([SCANNING] -> shows profile: "is this you?" -> confirm with (A), touch or cancel with (B)) or fumbling around with a card that you have to remember to keep close to you when you start the system.

Hoodbury

Another bonus of the off TV stuff will be the non gaming stuff the Wii-U can do. It'll be like another internet browser (which to me is a bigger deal than having to worry about lack of extra tv's, I have 3 tv's in the house but only 1 laptop which my wife is always on), second Netflix watching screen? I can watch one thing while the wife watches something else but we can still be in the same room cuddling on the couch.

Hoodbury

in a scenario with multiple accounts, hitting down or up a couple of times and confirming with (A) should be a lot faster than dodgy facial recognition ([SCANNING] -> shows profile: "is this you?" -> confirm with (A), touch or cancel with (B)) or fumbling around with a card that you have to remember to keep close to you when you start the system.

Are you not assuming the accounts will be password protected?

D-e-f-

Banned
Are you not assuming the accounts will be password protected?

the actual network accounts, yes. I'm going with the PS3 example of console-specific user accounts which you select while booting up and take you to your general area which then allows you to sign into your network account with a password (that can obviously be saved and doesn't need to be re-entered unless you want to)

even on the 360 you don't need to enter your password if you want to select a different account to log into. so I see no reason why it would be any different on Wii U. boot screen -> account select (hit (A)) -> boom, you're in the Miiverse.

if there are parental controls set up, things will be different of course but that's a niche scenario.

Er. You obviously missed my use of the word "secure".

Do you really think Nintendo will release a system that allows somebody to freely enter into, say, their brother's account and write hate speech in the Miiverse to get their account canned?

edit: whoops, you already answered this question.

edit: Even if it's not online, I would not necessarily want somebody messing with my game saves and other local info.

D-e-f-

Banned
Er. You obviously missed my use of the word "secure".

Do you really think Nintendo will release a system that allows somebody to freely enter into, say, their brother's account and write hate speech in the Miiverse to get their account canned?

edit: whoops, you already answered this question.

Yea I'm basing my comments on my experience with the PS3 (do not use my 360 much and that has only 1 account while my PS3 uses several accounts for all the various regions) which uses the separate system profile and the actual PSN account.

Obviously the Nintendo Network account will be password protected and I have no information whether or not they are using a system profile and a separate NN account or a global system+NN sign-in (which would be more similar to the Xbox Live system, right?)

Meelow

Banned
So it seems there is a rumor stating Nintendo is planning to release the Wii U before Thanksgiving in North America, which is quite obvious but it's something new.

Nintendo Everything;40878539]Word on the street in that issues with manufacturing have caused Nintendo to “delay” the European launch of Wii U.

CVG sources say that Nintendo initially planned to ship the console in November. At one point, a major publishing firm executive, whose company is working closely with Nintendo, felt that an early 2013 launch was likely. No need to worry though: Nintendo has guaranteed a 2012 release.

As far as the US is concerned, the goal is to get the Wii U ready before Thanksgiving.

Wii U’s manufacturing issues apparently stem from its technology. The controller is complex and features a wide array of components, including its own power supply. If CVG is to be believed, Nintendo has not yet shared the Wii U’s launch date due to these problems, but it should be noted that such issues shouldn’t be a cause for concern. Most console launches tend to face a bit of trouble before launch.

http://nintendoeverything.com/96007...pe-in-november-before-thanksgiving-in-the-us/

Original Mario project, or New IP?

Because the latter would be amazingly good.

I'd personally say the former is more likely than the latter. I'd put good money on them working on a 3D Mario project with Retro and Monolith Soft working on new IPs...although I'd sell my soul to Santa to see Retro working on another Metroid FPA. They've got the best level designers in the business imo, narrowly beating Valve.

There's that mystery ship at the end of Prime 3 to take into account so I don't think the Prime story is quite over yet.

Both developers have been working on something for the last couple of years, although we should also remember that there are a number of Nintendo IPs that they have left unexploited dating all the way back to the 70s if you include their card franchises.

They're certainly going to have a big name franchise or two being launched in Q4 2013 to try and scupper the launches of the PS4 and 720, and they'll have the advantage of the majority of development being done on finished dev kits too compared to the launch and launch window titles for the PS4 and 720. Even the first year of titles for the next gen efforts from Sony and Microsoft won't be too far ahead of U titles in terms of eye candy due to this.

Microsoft in particular have really cocked up this gen, they should have released the 720 in 2011 with Kinect. They had the advantage of a year's head start this gen and have now lost that to Nintendo. We'll probably see anywhere between 10 and 15m U consoles in homes by the time the PS4 and 720 are released, if Microsoft had released the 720 last year they could have run away with next gen. Very odd decision in terms of the lack of thinking with regards to long term gain. :eek:/

The console will launch with black and white. They didn't show off black in 2011, but showed it off in numerous promos and a Nintendo Direct for E3 2012. It's even on their North American website. They only showed off white for the Wii in E3 2006, for historical reference. I'm willing to make an avatar bet for this as well.

D-e-f-

Banned
Microsoft in particular have really cocked up this gen, they should have released the 720 in 2011 with Kinect. They had the advantage of a year's head start this gen and have now lost that to Nintendo. We'll probably see anywhere between 10 and 15m U consoles in homes by the time the PS4 and 720 are released, if Microsoft had released the 720 last year they could have run away with next gen. Very odd decision in terms of the lack of thinking with regards to long term gain. :eek:/

They just didn't need to. They were fine with the 360 still selling like crazy and Kinect still grabbing the "we don't know better"-customers. Launching a 360-follow up in 2011 (or 2012 for that matter) also doesn't make much sense because there were still SO many current-gen titles in development that are still coming out (we still have a lot of stuff on the calendar until next summer-ish). They also wouldn't have had a strong hardware base and the stuff they're probably trying to put into their next box (enhanced Kinect, maybe deeper SmartGlass integration?) still isn't anywhere near ready. I bet they're working a lot on their UI-software to have some type of unifying system between Windows 8 and Xbox: The Third which probably causes a lot of headaches around the MS offices.

Launching a new platform isn't as easy as saying "hey, let's take this, this and this, throw it into a plastic case and put it on shelves in a few months!"

The console will launch with black and white. They didn't show off black in 2011, but showed it off in numerous promos and a Nintendo Direct for E3 2012. It's even on their North American website. They only showed off white for the Wii in E3 2006, for historical reference. I'm willing to make an avatar bet for this as well.

no. remember this?:

wiioriginalcolorssmpzuyz.jpg

wiicoloredcontrollershnu5f.jpg

Considering that Nintendo of America emailed RMC last page confirming that the console will launch with black and white as options, I don't think you're taking a really major risk here.

By the way, I'm going to go all out and wager that Nintendo will have support for two GamePads this gen!

;)

no. remember this?:

wiioriginalcolorssmpzuyz.jpg

wiicoloredcontrollershnu5f.jpg

That's from 2005.

Considering that Nintendo of America emailed RMC last page confirming that the console will launch with black and white as options, I don't think you're taking a really major risk here.

By the way, I'm going to go all out and wager that Nintendo will have support for two GamePads this gen!

;)

Hah. Didn't see that yet. Apparently it was emailed to a reader, so it's still a rumor for now. But still, it's stupid to argue or even wonder about a black Wii U at launch considering it was on stage at their E3 Presentation, on the show floor, created renders for it, showed it off in Nintendo Direct and E3 promos, and put it on their website.

D-e-f-

Banned
That's from 2005.

Yea sorry. I thought that had to be from 06 because of the controller shot. I just checked the press conference video but couldn't find it.

They never put colors, wich weren´t available, into demo stations

There were Black Wii U demostations at E3 and Comiccon.

Promo material IN STORES have Black Wii Us displayed aswell.

What else do you need?

I don't need anything. I'm not trying to say there will be no black Wii U--in fact, it was pretty obvious to me that there had to be one ready at launch because of all the things you mentioned.

big_erk

Off-TV play is not only for people with one TV. I have 4 HDTVs of varying sizes, but I only have one in the bedroom. Being able to game in the bedroom while the wife watches whatever crap she wants to watch is monumental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom