• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
free–tv could not be interesting for some people. I can understand that. but saying that is useful is non–sense.
it is a new additional feature, a new possibility that wasn't there before. and now it will be possible to do it for some games.
I think that a lot of people will benefit from this feature, in differenr ways due to different situations.
personally, I've got just 1 tv in my house, and I'll have to share it with my wife and my son.
I'm foreseeing many different situations of my normal life that will push me in using tha gamepad tv–free, for gaming but not only.
it will be important to guarantee a good range of distance between the console and the gamepad, and the chance to boot on the system directly from the pad

Imagine a developer actually getting creative, and making an App to complement a TV channel or certain TV programs. You get to watch the TV feed on the big screen and get to interact with it on the Pad. Vote for your favorite in Americas Next Top Model, get a program list on what's up next, have interactive childrens learning shows where there are challenges set on the show that kids can do on the Gamepad, like matching shapes etc...
Having a concert Live feed, where the participants can vote live on what song or performance the band/singer should do next...,

It would be ridiculously easy to implement, an amazing oportunity for TV channels to actually have a foot in the interactive entertainment area while still delivering "directed" content.

But who am I right? Just an idiot on a forum who thinks too loud.

japtor

So now we have"sources" saying October, November, and December.

Imagine a developer actually getting creative, and making an App to complement a TV channel or certain TV programs. You get to watch the TV feed on the big screen and get to interact with it on the Pad. Vote for your favorite in Americas Next Top Model, get a program list on what's up next, have interactive childrens learning shows where there are challenges set on the show that kids can do on the Gamepad, like matching shapes etc...
Having a concert Live feed, where the participants can vote live on what song or performance the band/singer should do next...,

It would be ridiculously easy to implement, an amazing oportunity for TV channels to actually have a foot in the interactive entertainment area while still delivering "directed" content.

There are many apps like that for tablets already actually.

Bumhead

Banned
Just re-watched the E3 presentation. Not sure why, but noticed it on the 3DS eShop and thought I'd give it another go.

The middle section of the show was a bit of a mess but on reflection I don't think the show was quite as catastrophic as we all thought straight away. The amount of time they dedicated to Arkham City was no less stupid and talking about the 3DS in any capacity despite confirming they had a seperate hour of 3DS stuff a day later was annoying, but I was much, much more interested in Pikmin 3, NSMBU and even Nintendoland re-watching the conference than I was originally.

Not trying to dig up old wounds or anything, mind. Just an observation really.

Looking through E3, Nintendo's promos and website and that Wii U Gamepad Walkthrough video, I get a feeling that black will be Wii U's primary color (much like white was for Wii). It'd certainly appeal to the PS3/360/iOS crowd as well.

I suppose I'll post it here as well.

Silent_Ocarina said:
adanz.png

Lettering should be white on the red console, but I got lazy.

Hah. Didn't see that yet. Apparently it was emailed to a reader, so it's still a rumor for now. But still, it's stupid to argue or even wonder about a black Wii U at launch considering it was on stage at their E3 Presentation, on the show floor, created renders for it, showed it off in Nintendo Direct and E3 promos, and put it on their website.

Both your points are incredibly valid, and I whole heartedly agree.

Looking through E3, Nintendo's promos and website and that Wii U Gamepad Walkthrough video, I get a feeling that black will be Wii U's primary color (much like white was for Wii). It'd certainly appeal to the PS3/360/iOS crowd as well.

I think this is perhaps a differentiation strategy. A year ago, they said the box wasn't important. This year, gaffers complained "Hey, it looks so much like the Wii that consumers at large won't know that it's new!". Perhaps having a black option will make it seem more different compared to the Wii's initial outing.

In retrospect, this paragraph seems to assume that the reader doesn't realize that Nintendo currently sells a black Wii

I think that it's launching in black and white, though I'm not sure what the quantity breakdown will be.

I don't know why, but even though the system is likely releasing at a price point that I am not willing to pay for given its revealed features/games my hype level has spiked in the last couple days. I have no idea why. The only thing out of the ordinary in my life right now is that cute asian girls have been flirting with me, so maybe my Nintenditis is strengthened when my mood is boosted.

onilink88

Was just thinking of this. So many programs on the Discovery channel could benefit from this in a lot of neat ways. Would definitely be an interesting feature on the Wii U.

On a totally different note, this made my day- wasn't aware of it till now. Incidentally, I now have this uncontrollable urge to go through TP again.

*Goes to Nintendo Experience doobrie*

*Grabs GamePad and starts to move away from the console to try it out*

*Gets jumped on by security, beaten to a pulp and thrown out*

Lololol

I'm going to the Austin experience next weekend, I'll see if I can test it out.

I'll wait until my last five minutes though, just in case.

... obviously because they don't want people to get beaten to a bloody pulp while testing the signal reach and not because they're afraid someone is gonna steal it.

Right, the wire is just for security measures. I'm just saying that because of it, we won't be able to determine the signal strength at these events.

jmizzal

LOL@ CVG saying the WiiU is delayed in Europe, how can something be delayed when it has not had a release date, they always said before the end of 2012.

Hiltz

Two Tribes doesn't know how far away you can play the gamepad from the console ? I wonder if that just means its dev kits are wired or they can't say with confidence how long it will end up being. Of course, Nintendo ninjas could have had a kunai pointed at their throat when the question was asked. Darn it. That was one of the biggest questions we wanted to find out about Wii U.

I'm still happy that somebody asks. At least it indirectly confirms that they have the same devkits as those we last saw, with the wired gamepad inputs.

That's why this sort of thing has to actually have a palpable benefit, such as with cross-game unlocks.

Seriously, it'd be the greatest thing since the invention of z-targeting.

If the U dev kits are anything like the Wii dev kits then the GamePads will always be wired. At least the Wii dev kits I last saw in 2008 were. I think they do this so that the dev kit can simulate flat batteries whilst having a continual power source but I never tested a Wii title whilst I was testing at Eidos.

If its delayed im just gonna import an US one. No way in hell im waiting longer than a week for this baby!

Judging by this generation, you might miss out on several great games that apparently are of no significance to Reggies delusional NoA crew anymore. Just because you can't wait a week? :p

jmizzal

Going by this generation, you might miss out on several great games that apparently are of no significance to Reggies delusional NoA crew anymore. Just because you can't wait a week? :p

Lol that is true, I hope they bring those games over as digital downloads on WiiU

Fatal Frame 2 remake Wii
Another Code R
Disaster Day of Crisis
Pandora's Tower

D-e-f-

Banned
If its delayed im just gonna import an US one. No way in hell im waiting longer than a week for this baby!

you wanna go through all the hassle with power converters, having to import US games (= extra waiting time unless it's downloadable) + having to either get a non-standard credit card OR hunting the web for eShop cards + if the system breaks there's likely no support for the import model in your region + your Wii games won't work + possibly annoying customs fees on each purchase unless you download + shipping is gonna take at least a week unless you pay a lot on top for express shipping (with customs that's at least another 100 bucks on top of the regular price)

or do you wanna buy an import system and one from your region?

either way, you're nuts^^ (but if you're rich, have at it :p)

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/10/wii-games-are-playable-on-the-wii-u-gamepad/

This would be a very nice feature to have, although, there's probably a good chunk of games that would be close to impossible to play on just the GamePad.

"According to Spanish Wii U brand manager Pepe Arcas..."
"This feature hasn’t been confirmed by Nintendo, however."
lol ... err? :)

besides, that news (and the video) are days old! people, get with the times! :D

Meelow

Banned
I watched the IGN Nintendo voice chat and one of the guy's (not Rich) think just because the new physics engine isn't coming to this year Madden of the Wii U version he thinks the Wii U isn't powerful enough, he's caused problems saying that because that's not true.

Lol that is true, I hope they bring those games over as digital downloads on WiiU

Fatal Frame 2 remake Wii
Another Code R
Disaster Day of Crisis
Pandora's Tower

It still boggles my mind that the one game Nintendo made with seemingly purely American sensibilities was released everywhere but.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/10/wii-games-are-playable-on-the-wii-u-gamepad/

This would be a very nice feature to have, although, there's probably a good chunk of games that would be close to impossible to play on just the GamePad.

The NDA's are so bad, even branches of Nintendo don't know what the heck is going on. lol

I'd think any Wii game that could support Classic Controller or sideways Wiimote input would not have any problem playing on the Gamepad.

NateDrake

I watched the IGN Nintendo voice chat and one of the guy's (not Rich) think just because the new physics engine isn't coming to this year Madden of the Wii U version he thinks the Wii U isn't powerful enough, he's caused problems saying that because that's not true.

That's a person talking out of their ass.

jmizzal

LOL IGN

Meelow

Banned
That's a person talking out of their ass.

Yeah it's making me more annoyed than happen with the voice chat, than they talk about E3 and say all the things Nintendo said before E3 and than the E3 we got wasn't the E3 we expected and the Wii U is too much marketed like Wii right now (they do say it's good the box art is completely different which is very good) and how Nintendo said "we will get the games you want" and they said they didn't show us that yet which made me stressed because I know Nintendo knows we want these games but there secretive with the Wii U is making these claims.

Truthfully, Xbox Live achievements aren't much better than custom achievement systems confined to specific games. Sure, you can share them, but it doesn't seem to mean that much. Leaderboards are more important than achievements there.

Playstation trophies, funny enough, seem more desirable to me because rather than have an arbitrary point value associated with each trophy, they make more sense: bronze, silver, gold trophies, with a platinum for mastering a game. When glancing at another player's stats, you know instantly which trophies were considered easy (bronze), medium (silver) or hard (gold) by the game designers. And having a platinum for each mastered game seems to mean something.

My wish for Wii U's achievement system is for the accomplishments to hook into the system in a way more like trophies than like XBL achievements.

Couldn't agree more. The trophy system, to me personally, is more addictive due to it being level-based rather than score-based like the achievements system. It has an RPG-esque thing going on - the higher your level, the more trophies you need to level-up again.

I doubt that Nintendo will follow either one of the score or level based systems though...they'll probably do something completely different I suspect.

Nintendo hasn't exactly gone out of its way to clarify details about the cpu, and we've gotten a whole bunch of rumours regarding it, some of which support his statement. At this point, we're just laughing at somebody for making the opposite assumption we're making, when neither of us really has sufficient official information to back us up.

where are you watching it?

jmizzal

Nintendo hasn't exactly gone out of its way to clarify details about the cpu, and we've gotten a whole bunch of rumours regarding it, some of which support his statement. At this point, we're just laughing at somebody for making the opposite assumption we're making, when neither of us really has sufficient official information to back us up.

Do you really believe that the new physics engine on Madden 13 is too powerful to run on WiiU? When is running on the Xbox 360

Did you guys preorder any games yet?

I preordered New Super Mario Bros. U. Probably the only title I'll get from the "launch window" since I have Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Resident Evil 6 to play as well, and I have school so I'll be living on residence with no access to these systems, they should be more than enough to last me.

maybe the Wii U CPU is too small to run it? have you seen how tiny the Wii U is???

I believe this to be the case. Physics will likely be done on the "impressive" GPU, which I estimate to be around 614.4 GFLOPS give or take a FLOP.

If they go SoC, I'm guessing mixed-signal. But I'm still going to say the parts are discrete with a MCM that contains the GPU.

Mixed-signal? I'll have to research that.

I'm sticking to what I've been thinking all along now, however. Discrete 45nm CPU and 32nm GPU, with the GPU being a SoC w/ the ARM co-processor (Cortex-A5), eDRAM, and DSP.

maybe the Wii U CPU is too small to run it? have you seen how tiny the Wii U is???

*facepalm* The CPU size has very little to do with how powerful it actually is. Have you seen the actual size of the Core i7 3770? Pretty damn small. And yet 10X more powerful than what is in the 360. No, the reason why the physics engine isn't in Maden NFL 13 is becasue either A) They were strapped for time or B) (as the rumor goes) EA is pissy at Nintendo and stripped features in a hissy fit.

Do you really believe that the new physics engine on Madden 13 is too powerful to run on WiiU? When is running on the Xbox 360

Aren't you paying attention? I don't know if it is. And neither do you. That's the whole point of what I was writing.

My suspicion is that the newer engine is not ready for the Wii U for the same reasons that the first Xbox 360 Madden game (as mentioned here a few pages ago) was seriously limited in features compared to the Playstation 2 version of the same game. But all we really know about the cpu is that it is POWER Architecture based and probably has three cores.

Er, that's all we really know, right? I didn't go for a tea break when its particular SIMD extensions were defined, did I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom