• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Owen

Banned
*facepalm* The CPU size has very little to do with how powerful it actually is. Have you seen the actual size of the Core i7 3770? Pretty damn small. And yet 10X more powerful than what is in the 360. No, the reason why the physics engine isn't in Maden NFL 13 is becasue either A) They were strapped for time or B) (as the rumor goes) EA is pissy at Nintendo and stripped features in a hissy fit.

Well, the Wii U itself is small, which makes running at higher clockrates more difficult, which results in a weaker CPU.

*facepalm* The CPU size has very little to do with how powerful it actually is. Have you seen the actual size of the Core i7 3770? Pretty damn small. And yet 10X more powerful than what is in the 360. No, the reason why the physics engine isn't in Maden NFL 13 is becasue either A) They were strapped for time or B) (as the rumor goes) EA is pissy at Nintendo and stripped features in a hissy fit.

You do know you are talking to Gravijah, right?

Stripping a physics engine because of a hissy fit? Ha! No, I think the reality is that the CPU is not only small but also lacks both SMT and VMX in at least 2 out of 3 cores, if not all. We're gonna have to accept it eventually.

ArynCrinn

Banned

he was being ironic.

Wii U's CPU is tiny but it's fierce!

Well, the Wii U itself is small, which makes running at higher clockrates more difficult, which results in a weaker CPU.

And this, I don't see the CPU being clocked any higher than 2.33/2.66, if that.

Serious question...why aren't all the ports we've seen so far running natively at 1080p? I was expecting, well, hoping I guess that given it's more powerful and devs would utilize that power, that it would at least run AC3, Batman, ME3, etc at 1080p.

Is it because it's still a new system and devs are still getting used to the platform?

I'd much prefer 720p native with v-synch. Screen tearing has driven me bloody mental this gen. What's the point in developers putting in the effort to give us decent looking eye candy when it all turns to shite whenever you move the camera..?

I also suspect that multiplatform games next gen will be in 720p for the most part.

JordanN

Banned
You know something I don't get about this CPU debate?

That somewhere, inside the Wii U's SDK, you'd think Nintendo would have a section called "Physics" and would explain to devs how to properly port their code to Wii U from 360/PS3.

This is of course assuming any of this is true because last year Reggie said publishers wont have any excuse to not bring their games to Wii U without problems.

"Third party publishers have told us that the reason they couldn’t bring it to our platform was based on the horsepower of the machine. That excuse is gone. So now all of the best content can come to the machine."

We also had him publicly confirm it wont be weaker.

"So are the games going to look that good when it comes out?"
"absolutely".

If he's lying I want to see some serious penalties. We also had IBM say it's using the same technology as Watson/Power7 which you know, is a more powerful architecture. So penalties for them too.

Van Owen

Banned
You know something I don't get about this CPU debate?

That somewhere, inside the Wii U's SDK, you'd think Nintendo would have a section called "Physics" and would explain to devs how to properly port their code to Wii U from 360/PS3.

This is of course assuming any of this is true because last year Reggie said publishers wont have any excuse to not bring their games to Wii U without problems.

"Third party publishers have told us that the reason they couldn’t bring it to our platform was based on the horsepower of the machine. That excuse is gone. So now all of the best content can come to the machine."

We also had him publicly confirm it wont be weaker.

"So are the games going to look that good when it comes out?"
"absolutely".

If he's lying I want to see some serious penalties. We also had IBM say it's using the same technology as Watson/Power7 which you know, is a more powerful architecture. So penalties for them too.

Reggie also thinks Batman is a new game.

JordanN

Banned
Another thing I wonder is do devs even give a damn about the CPU?

Ignoring all the whining members here /anonymous janitors etc, the cpu hasn't seemed to stop ubisoft, tecmo, warner bros, THQ, gearbox, bioware, platinum games, namco, vicarious, traveler's tales,frozenbyte and more from bringing their games that otherwise, would of been impossible on Wii.

So what excuse would EA have to not bring physics because of the CPU when all the others seem to manage fine without it?

Van Owen

Banned
Another thing I wonder is do devs even give a damn about the CPU?

Ignoring all the whining members here /anonymous janitors etc, the cpu hasn't seemed to stop ubisoft, tecmo, warner bros, THQ, gearbox, bioware, platinum games, namco, vicarious, traveler's tales,frozenbyte and more from bringing their games that otherwise, would of been impossible on Wii.

So what excuse would EA have to not bring physics because of the CPU when all the others seem to manage fine without it?

A lot of those probably aren't as CPU dependent as the new demanding physics engine from EA.

Meelow

Banned
He thinks that Reggie has autonomy and isn't just saying what his boss tells him to say and that the next guy won't just do the exact same thing.

Yeah Reggie doesn't have a mind of his own when he is in interviews, he can't confirm stuff he wants to confirm, higher ups tell him what to confirm and not to confirm.

I posted a thread on the Off-Topic side about the most popular articles on Wikipedia, but just wanted to highlight some Nintendo and Wii U things in this thread.

Note: These are views thus far for August 2012.
Facebook 669109
Mario 201208
Steve Jobs 124862
Microsoft 124491
Wii U 108623
Mark Zuckerberg 106150
Bill Gates 103155
iPhone 97703
iPad 89428
PlayStation 3 65608
XBOX 360 64610
Pokémon 58574
Microsoft Windows 51415
Call of Duty 49395
OS X 45481
Halo 43310
Nintendo 3DS 41185
PlayStation Vita 40460
The Legend of Zelda 40306
Apple 36145
PlayStation Portable 31998
Sony 31127
Wii 29124
Nintendo 27906
Uncharted 26334
Nintendo DS 22853
Shigeru Miyamoto 20140
God of War (Series) 17778
Super Smash Bros. (series) 15481
Metroid 11323
New Super Mario Bros. U 11153
Tim Cook 10298
Mario Kart 9375
Gears of War (series) 6447
Gran Turismo (series) 6198
Pikmin 3 4083
Reggie Fils-Aime 2479
Satoru Iwata 2017

Kazuo Hirai 1932
Don Mattrick 422
Zombi U 186

big_erk

he was being ironic.

Wii U's CPU is tiny but it's fierce!

And this, I don't see the CPU being clocked any higher than 2.33/2.66, if that.

I just started laughing as the comments deteriorated to serious discussion of the WiiU CPUs power relative to its physical dimensions.

So is the cpu an actual issue for the Madden physics engine, or is everyone just speculating? There is no doubt in my mind it will be in next years Madden, and this is typical EA being lazy for a console launch.

RAWi

I think it goes more into the line of

C) They are getting used to the system. And if we recall one of the rumors that states that the Wii U is more dependant and made up around the GPU, instead of the CPU. Maybe EA is just testing Wii U with this games. In the same way they are testing the waters with Fifa.

However, that is just a theory, as all the others. As I have been reading, there are theories that it could be quite the normal practice, like the Madden '06 launched for the Xbox 360, on its early days, having fewer features than the previous generation consoles (GC, PS2, Xbox).

And would be quite interesting that it is as your "B" option says, haha.

TheJerit

As someone who's seen how long this sucka is in real life.......

L.o.l. @ its too tiny to have have madden physics!!111

Is this where we've journeyed to?

I finally caved and put some hours into the start of Xenoblade to wait for the Wii U the gameplay is harder to get up on the timing thing but so far its fun

I cannot wait for HD Nintendo games this would have rocked on Wii U

I finally caved and put some hours into the start of Xenoblade to wait for the Wii U the gameplay is harder to get up on the timing thing but so far its fun

I cannot wait for HD Nintendo games this would have rocked on Wii U

Isn't Monolith working on something?

Of course, it won't be a Xenoblade follow up or anything, but it could be even bigger.

Do you think Nintendo is going to engineer a "supply constraint issue" like they presumably did for Wii for the first two or three years, for the Wii U?

Or if you don't believe this conspiracy theory, do you think it will legitimately be sold out for the first few years?

Hoodbury

I think they need to supply and sell as many as they can early on to get third parties to take notice. Some third parties already have said they're doing the wait and see to make sure it get's an install base.

Do you think Nintendo is going to engineer a "supply constraint issue" like they presumably did for Wii for the first two or three years, for the Wii U?

Or if you don't believe this conspiracy theory, do you think it will legitimately be sold out for the first few years?

Heh. The Wii sold in its early life faster than any console in history had, and Nintendo had been used to selling an average of four million consoles a year just prior to its release (eg, less than a third as quickly). It is no big wonder that they didn't have the infrastructure to pull such a giant difference off so easily.

Now they're better prepared, and the system will likely not sell quite as quickly, so I think we won't see that staggering level of supply difficulty.

JordanN

Banned

When they launched 3DS, they shipped extra units to avoid such issue. Not sure if they'll do it again with Wii U.

Yeah exactly - the info is mostly useless and he gave it out in an obnoxious string-along way which made it worse.

Yeah scroll down in this post, the "not confirmed" http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38716276&postcount=30

Hey there :)

- "bluray" discs, obligation from Nintendo to studios to bring their demos on it: I need a confirmation from someone who was on the showfloor that titles ran from those optical medias (or they could have been loaded into the flash). As they arrived just a few days before E3, maybe the Wii U drives aren't totally optimized yet, and it could explains some difficulties we saw on certain titles, like the not detailed textures just after loadings in a few games, while waiting for the normal ones to be streamed.

I know I'm late to the conversation (I'm playing catch up), but I'm pretty sure that I posted what I'm about to repost now somewhere in this thread shortly after E3 ended... (if I didn't, I meant to)

But I was at E3 this year (1st time) and I was in the Nintendo booth when they were breaking it down minutes after the show ended on the final day. I watched the Rep take the disc out of several of the Wii U systems and put them in a CD/DVD case. The case was a Prologic style case, 2 disc high, probably held about 30 or so discs.

So incase you haven't already, you can move that comment over to the confirmed column.

Donnie

Stripping a physics engine because of a hissy fit? Ha! No, I think the reality is that the CPU is not only small but also lacks both SMT and VMX in at least 2 out of 3 cores, if not all. We're gonna have to accept it eventually.

Well its likely that the CPU doesn't use SMT and VMX, but its also likely that it does twice as many instructions per clock as Xenon and its a certainty that its much more efficient. There's also the DSP and I/O chip to consider.

As I've mentioned before, I think this kind of thing comes down to lack of optimisation/time rather then any problem with the power of the CPU.

I feel sorry for people who relate the madden physics engine to WiiU. If you dont play madden you shouldnt have a word on it at all. Including IGN. Its not a real physics engine like EA has been advertising it as. Its just a tweaked version of the already maddens engine to give it a real time physics illusion.

jerd

On the topic of Madden, are we also to assume that the Xbox 360 at launch did not have the power to allow you to create a player? Or have an in depth off season? Or have players with signature celebrations? Or challenge plays? None of these features were included in Madden 06 for 360, but they were for ps2 and Xbox. I have a feeling putting these features on next gen hardware would take less effort than tooling an entire physics engine for unfamiliar hardware. Please stop the nonsense.

Van Owen

Banned
On the topic of Madden, are we also to assume that the Xbox 360 at launch did not have the power to allow you to create a player? Or have an in depth off season? Or have players with signature celebrations? Or challenge plays? None of these features were included in Madden 06 for 360, but they were for ps2 and Xbox. I have a feeling putting these features on next gen hardware would take less effort than tooling an entire physics engine for unfamiliar hardware. Please stop the nonsense.

Two very different situations.

jerd

Because? Would it have really been that hard to add those features? It seems like a matter of effort and time to me. Either no time to do it, or unwillingness to exert the effort.

Edit: I'm not blaming EA or anything. I'm just saying that leaving out a feature on a launch game is nothing new. This is hardware that they have not worked with before and I'm sure it is probably easier for them to focus on other things rather than try to guarantee that they can get this engine up and running (meaning completely functional) by X date.

Edit 2: Also, 360 launched in November, 3 months after Madden 06 released on other consoles. Same situation as the Wii U.

Van Owen

Banned
Because? Would it have really been that hard to add those features? It seems like a matter of effort and time to me. Either no time to do it, or unwillingness to exert the effort.

Edit: I'm not blaming EA or anything. I'm just saying that leaving out a feature on a launch game is nothing new. This is hardware that they have not worked with before and I'm sure it is probably easier for them to focus on other things rather than try to guarantee that they can get this engine up and running (meaning completely functional) by X date.

It's not really a feature though, it's an engine.

The first Madden on 360 didn't have feature parity with the PS2 games, but it was also an overhaul in terms of visuals that likely was a lot more work than putting the 360 version of Madden on Wii U.

Trolling, you´re trying too hard.

Xbox360/PS3: Change/Modify/Add code from EXISTING and already optimized and running engine

Wii U: Start from scratch, so PORT the whole thing (Or as much of it as possible) over and add Wii U functionality. Porting takes time and is not done in a few days, you know...

They had nothing to work with on Wii U and ran out of time. Logic, you should try it some day. Its a hell of a lot of fun!

Van Owen

Banned
Port of Darksiders 2 was up and running in a couple days...

Zero to work with? It's not like they havent been coding for an IBM CPU and amd GPU for years or anything...

Roo

Trolling, you´re trying too hard.

Xbox360/PS3: Change/Modify/Add code from EXISTING and already optimized and running engine

Wii U: Start from scratch, so PORT the whole thing (Or as much of it as possible) over and add Wii U functionality. Porting takes time and is not done in a few days, you know...

They had nothing to work with on Wii U and ran out of time. Logic, you should try it some day. Its a hell of a lot of fun!

he hates fun

jerd

It's not really a feature though, it's an engine.

The first Madden on 360 didn't have feature parity with the PS2 games, but it was also an overhaul in terms of visuals that likely was a lot more work than putting the 360 version of Madden on Wii U.

Not really. What we got with madden 06 was as bare bones a version as would be acceptable. With Wii U, as far as we know, the features are in tact. Meaning they have spent time getting the game running on brand new architecture, as well as adding gamepad functionality. Consoles are not built the same. Ports are not drag and drop.

Port of Darksiders 2 was up and running in a couple days...

Zero to work with? It's not like they havent been coding for an IBM CPU and amd GPU for years or anything...

1 FPS and buggy as fuck could be called running too.

Do you know how many people worked on Darksiders 2 on Wii U and how many on Madden?

But NOOOOOO Van Own is da king and knows the physics engine is missing due to the CPU lacking.

I got news for ya...

Yuri Bialoskursky about the missing physics engine: "it’s just something we weren’t able to achieve for this first year on the new hardware. A lot of times, new hardware comes with new challenges."

Source

Clearly the time was the factor here.

End of story

I never said time wasn't a factor. It's likely a combo of time and CPU constraints.

But propably the most demanding game CPU wise is AC3 wich runs on the Wii U where you have tons of NPCs on screen at once.

Btw. Fifa 13 has a great physics engine aswell wich was introduced in Fifa 12, wich Wii U version does have. Weird huh?

And the infinity engine basically does what impact engine does in Fifa...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom