• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I didn't start this weak CPU theory. I'm just coming to conclusions based on what other industry sources and developers have said about the weak CPU. Not sure why everyone is attacking me.

Anonymous devs for the win and the Tekken producer said later his "information" got taken out of context.

jerd

No. I didn't start this weak CPU theory. I'm just coming to conclusions based on what other industry sources and developers have said about the weak CPU. Not sure why everyone is attacking me.

Nobody is attacking you. You're just really reaching for some reason. The dev clearly implied it will be available in future iterations. How does this still equal "cpu not good enough"?

deviljho

You conclusions are based on bits and pieces of information taken from gaming journalists' interviews of developers who themselves haven't had time to learn how to fully code to the metal. Why would you then take such shoddy conclusions and parade them about? Just for posting's sake?

Pittree

Man. I was hoping that nonsense about Wii U not handling madden physics because of the power on it would just go away but it seems you can't escape the trolling on Wii U threads.

However this is what Bialoskursky said about Infinity Engine:
just something we weren't able to achieve for this first year on the new hardware

IMO this proves that it is more a thing about time and not power. It may be true that the console is not be capable to run the code smoothly the way it is (written) right now. But this is a situation more akin to how you need to have a lot more processing power to emulate a console on PC than the console itslef.

This kind of discussion is what is keeping this thread to gain steam like in the old days.

AzaK

Man. I was hoping that nonsense about Wii U not handling madden physics because of the power on it would just go away but it seems you can't escape the trolling on Wii U threads.

However this is what Bialoskursky said about Infinity Engine:

IMO this proves that it is more a thing about time and not power. It may be true that the console is not be capable to run the code smoothly the way it is (written) right now. But this is a situation more akin to how you need to have a lot more processing power to emulate a console on PC than the console itslef.

This kind of discussion is what is keeping this thread to gain steam like in the old days.

Just because the physics engine couldn't be done this year, doesn't mean the CPU isn't gimped. They may have to actually move that code to GPGPU To get it to run on Wii U. We just don't know either way until they come out and say "it's not the power of the CPU that's the issue".

Not having a vector unit (if true) does seem a little weird.

JordanN

Banned
Looking at the VMX128, it seems to be more designed for gaming than the POWER7 line is.

"While the term VMX is familiar to PowerPC users, the implementation on the Xbox 360 processor is a new design called VMX128 which was specially enhanced to accelerate 3D graphics and game physics." It also has 128 registers.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-fpfxbox/?ca=dgr-lnxw09XBoxDesign

The Power7 line has 64 registers but it adds more powerful double precision FPU and is 128-bit whereas VMX128 is 64-bit. It also supports 2 way and 4 way SMT. Add the I/O and DSP, I would still rank it better than Xenon, no matter the "clockspeed".

Here's a whole document that covers the VSX for those interested:
http://www.spscicomp.org/ScicomP16/presentations/Power7_Performance_Overview.pdf

Effect

Did you guys preorder any games yet?

I preordered New Super Mario Bros. U. Probably the only title I'll get from the "launch window" since I have Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Resident Evil 6 to play as well, and I have school so I'll be living on residence with no access to these systems, they should be more than enough to last me.

I have Zombi U, Assassin's Creed 3, and Black Ops 2 preordered via NewEgg. Chances are though I'll only end up with two or maybe even one depending on the price of the system. First on the chopping block if Black Ops 2. I just haven't canceled the order yet. While interesting (I did enjoy BO1 a lot) I think this generation has taken care of my FPS competitive itch. Not all that interested in online FPS multiplayer that much anymore if I'm being really honest with myself. I might get it in the future but only for the single player. So I could very well rent it for a few days. Between ZombiU and AC3 I'll get rid of AC3 first as I'm really interested in how ZombiU uses the controller and the survival horror. Hopefully I can get both.

I doubt I'll buy anything else for the Wii U until the new year as I'll have Code of Princess, Castlevania, Paper Mario and maybe Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (still iffy on this) on the 3DS. I have The Last Story coming so I can still play that leading into the new year. I also have The Secret World which I'm still playing and maybe Guild Wars 2. So I'm cover for the next several month in terms of games. If I decide against Dark Moon and maybe Guild Wars 2 I might pick up Pikmin 3 depending on price and possible sales.

I feel sorry for people who relate the madden physics engine to WiiU. If you dont play madden you shouldnt have a word on it at all. Including IGN. Its not a real physics engine like EA has been advertising it as. Its just a tweaked version of the already maddens engine to give it a real time physics illusion.

See I didn't know this I might pick up Madden after all....

japtor

I feel sorry for people who relate the madden physics engine to WiiU. If you dont play madden you shouldnt have a word on it at all. Including IGN. Its not a real physics engine like EA has been advertising it as. Its just a tweaked version of the already maddens engine to give it a real time physics illusion.
Got a source for that?
But propably the most demanding game CPU wise is AC3 wich runs on the Wii U where you have tons of NPCs on screen at once.

Btw. Fifa 13 has a great physics engine aswell wich was introduced in Fifa 12, wich Wii U version does have. Weird huh?

And the infinity engine basically does what impact engine does in Fifa...
Seeing what it can do in FIFA just makes me want it more for Madden.

Got a source for that?
I dont have a source but after playing madeen since 07 on gamecube, and 08-12 soon 13 on 360 I am more than 100% sure it is. EA has been reusing the same madden "engine" all this gen after watching plenty of videos of gameplay for 13 I can easily see that the infinity engine is not that significant to a change of gameplay or the occurance of certain animations in the game. I play madden all year and know mostly all possible outcomes for any given situation as Madden's gameplay as what Madden players call it is "scripted." If you play the game year to year youll know and understand. Its a welcoming addition dont get me wrong be the infinity engine is not what you would call a real time physics engine based on the fundamentals of football. Go to youtube then watch a video of backbreaker to see a real, "real time physics" engine which is Euphoria. There are literally different outcomes, every single play. This will not be the case for 13. Watch a video of madden 13 vs 12. And you will not be able to tell a difference. There are differences but very small. EA added new animations which have nothing to deal with physics then projectile passing which have nothing to deal with physics. Those 2 alone will be more of a substantial gameplay change than the "infinity engine."

All the infinity engine will do is make madden 13 just a tad less scripted. Expect a better infinity engine in madden 14 next year. Even then EA can bullshit it.

Got a source for that?

Seeing what it can do in FIFA just makes me want it more for Madden.

This is still the best one:

SVikh.gif

japtor

I dont have a source but after playing madeen since 07 on gamecube, and 08-12 soon 13 on 360 I am more than 100% sure it is. EA has been reusing the same madden "engine" all this gen after watching plenty of videos of gameplay for 13 I can easily see that the infinity engine is not that significant to a change of gameplay or the occurance of certain animations in the game. I play madden all year and know mostly all possible outcomes for any given situation as Madden's gameplay as what Madden players call it is "scripted." If you play the game year to year youll know and understand. Its a welcoming addition dont get me wrong be the infinity engine is not what you would call a real time physics engine based on the fundamentals of football. Go to youtube then watch a video of backbreaker to see a real, "real time physics" engine which is Euphoria. There are literally different outcomes, every single play. This will not be the case for 13. Watch a video of madden 13 vs 12. And you will not be able to tell a difference. There are differences but very small. EA added new animations which have nothing to deal with physics then projectile passing which have nothing to deal with physics. Those 2 alone will be more of a substantial gameplay change than the "infinity engine."

All the infinity engine will do is make madden 13 just a tad less scripted. Expect a better infinity engine in madden 14 next year. Even then EA can bullshit it.
I figured that's what you were referring to, still looks animation heavy but with collision detection and some physics added on top of it. Backbreaker actually seems over the top in the other direction, hits end up looking like Blitz (...then again I love Blitz).
This is still the best one:

SVikh.gif
I was looking for the running into the ground gif myself but couldn't find it...plus I'm not even sure that was from FIFA 12.

Isn't Monolith working on something?

Of course, it won't be a Xenoblade follow up or anything, but it could be even bigger.

sure and I look forward to whatever it is they do

An HD title in Xenoblade's scope would be hella expensive.

the team has proven themselves even if the game does not sell as well as major IPs the game was quality
this is the whole reason for having a HD console anyway, to create epic experiences

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I know I'm late to the conversation (I'm playing catch up), but I'm pretty sure that I posted what I'm about to repost now somewhere in this thread shortly after E3 ended... (if I didn't, I meant to)

But I was at E3 this year (1st time) and I was in the Nintendo booth when they were breaking it down minutes after the show ended on the final day. I watched the Rep take the disc out of several of the Wii U systems and put them in a CD/DVD case. The case was a Prologic style case, 2 disc high, probably held about 30 or so discs.

So incase you haven't already, you can move that comment over to the confirmed column.

lol, ok thanks for the confirmation BlackNMild2k1 :)

Stewox

Banned
The Off-TV play mode I think it's not something of a "feature" that should be required nor being exposed as some big thing that everything depends on it,, I don't want the public to be like that because of the nerdpanic around it , since some games will not be playable seriously that way even if they support it. Expect a lot of mobile/kids kind of customers to use it, but ehm, don't know if this only happend to me but when they first announced off-tv play and the ability to use it without the TV and all that independent stuff, three facts come to my mind immediately: range, bed and toilet

Range: WLAN: you'll be able to walk around the house with it, if this won't be possible they are 100% artificially hampering the signal to prevent that for no good reason, saving on your electricity bill ?, that's ridicolous. If that happens, I'm not buying WiiU anytime soon until the serious first-parties come out, but for the ability to surf web while watching recorded shows after an exhausting day should be a reason to pick it up sooner.

Bed & toilet: ... use your imagination

Regarding the discussion about it, it's pointless, the recent indie or whatever it was saying about "1080p" it's just making news up. But they can chip in their word, ofcourse it works since we know so little practically about the WiiU, it catches on, but there's no real news in this, we know WiiU does full 1080p, resolution is pretty easy thing compared to making a native game taking the most out of the system. The games that will make sense will have off-tv play, it's up to the developers, many games will have off-tv play just for the sake of it to call it a "feature" for marketing to hump on, but it won't make sense for many games, you simply can't fit all of the stuff on that small screen, given that it may not be more than 480p or quarterHD, but it may be , that means stuff will be pretty shrinked down if devs try to fit a lot of stuff in, it'll make it useless after an hour, guess why, eyesore, I can't look into Galaxy S2 for more than 30 mins and my eyes hurt of straining them to try to look the super small fidelity text they try to fit into the super density small screen it's a joke, i've only borrowed the device, i don't buy my self ANY mobile devices, never did never will, the unresponsive touch-sensoring and crappy gesture-detection are a big fat joke.

http://www.**********.com/?mode=viewstory&id=182868

I don't know why this guy cames up with that is simply confusing - it's a rumor but it can have some to it, like for example a suspect can be the game it self, but we don't know if this subsystem is even available to developers to thinker with.

Because this guy only used his super crappy media-hump "instinct" to judge that, there was no tests, so I am not sure about him, blaming the fact that WIFI may be the case as the E3 demo was tethered. But there's no inherent lag by just using WLAN because the tech it self can work well and fast if perfected, it's a lot to do with crappy consumer-grade router firmware that's why most WLANs in house are so mediocre. Nintendo did research and implemented this well, there's no doubt about that, they can't deserve any problems with this.

People need to realize fast it's the HDTV's that have all the fault and are to blame for, the off-tv play may work better because it doesn't have to use the HDTV added lag which is probably ~97% of all the latency, and I strongly have faith that

No idea why most people would play with the controller in off-tv play, first of all it takes away the dual screen thing, second, the battery life is screamingly low for any kind of sunday afternoon play session, as with all the smartphone crap out there, Galaxy S2 battery life is ridicolous, ofcourse the android phones a ton better than anything apple did iPhone in 10 years but still, it's mobileTM, I didn't expect it'll be that bad, I used to think i need to get my hands on the android phones and see how they kick iPhone's ass, it was cool for like ... a few days weeks, it's good for checking news, using the tech apps for aircraft tracking, gps, WLAN scanners, poking into other's networks ... etc, but in the end my resistance to anything mobile just got even stronger. It's just not practical, it's for a 3 day hike in the mountains, if you get lost, turn it on, get weather data, satellite data, gps, call for help, it's definitely NOT for any serious work like typing this post right now, the on-screen touch keyboard is also laggy, not to mention my finger is as big as 2 letters on there.

EDIT: What's wrong with ********** - I haven't heard weird stuff from them since I was following news closely this year. All of that BS articles we're from wiiudaily

EDIT2: a little bit of wondering ... percentage of westerners seems to be quite high on gaf (or what are kids doing all saturday lol) as this thread is so silent when it's late night there, good that I don't care about the release date cause you'd get one more guy crying about the el-standardo delayed EU date probably. Well that's a good thing, proves that EU kids aren't all day in the house on the electronics, I may just excuse my self, but the story goes, exhaused from college, this is pretty much only big thing i focus on, i don't watch movies nor listen to music much, no tv either, just to clear anyone's worst guess.

Stewox

Banned
And a follow up post I just want to expose another side

We are basically talking about something that we really don't know how it works in practise.

So there's also the unknown factor of developer access, if developers are able to tick this added lag off or not, wether is nintendo deciding per-case basis in which mode beta lag is turned off for the gamepad.

The demo that guy may have seen may be a bugged build, it may also be the case of not knowing what the heck are we talking about.

So the off-tv play is still linked to the HDTV as it switches on, let me just put down all the cases:

Case1: HDTV + Controller normal dual screen experience
Case2: HDTV + Controller off-tv play switch
Case3: Controller Apps (web browsing, menu) this may be a switch in WiiU Menus

Now there's another question, is this off-tv play just the switch that we seen in the zelda demo where you have your map and other stuff on the HDTV screen, or it's completely independent, i think it's a simple switch, and that's when the games will be put on the test wether they properly disable the beta lag or not. We don't see a reason to keep it on, since this mode is intended to be without HDTV so you don't necessairly need the map and other info stuff on the big screen, we aren't discussing the playability, I know for a fact many games won't be playable seriously like that, but stick to the point of this.

So we see that there actually is just switching, there's really not an independent mode that I can see because you have the console running all the time wether HDTV is connected or not the main output is still there I think, however there really may be some kind of detection if the main input is not there it'll automatically switch to the controller.

When the thing is out there will be high-speed camera tests so we can really prove it, until then we're just talking what makes sense, but i expect nintendo will do a good job, better than with the wiimote, remember, the wiiu controller has a magnetometer, it'll make it a lot more precise, better motion and no need for constant re-calibration re-centering whatever.

D-e-f-

Banned
And a follow up post I just want to expose another side

We are basically talking about something that we really don't know how it works in practise.

So there's also the unknown factor of developer access, if developers are able to tick this added lag off or not, wether is nintendo deciding per-case basis in which mode beta lag is turned off for the gamepad.

The demo that guy may have seen may be a bugged build, it may also be the case of not knowing what the heck are we talking about.

So the off-tv play is still linked to the HDTV as it switches on, let me just put down all the cases:

Case1: HDTV + Controller normal dual screen experience
Case2: HDTV + Controller off-tv play switch
Case3: Controller Apps (web browsing, menu) this may be a switch in WiiU Menus

Now there's another question, is this off-tv play just the switch that we seen in the zelda demo where you have your map and other stuff on the HDTV screen, or it's completely independent, i think it's a simple switch, and that's when the games will be put on the test wether they properly disable the beta lag or not. We don't see a reason to keep it on, since this mode is intended to be without HDTV so you don't necessairly need the map and other info stuff on the big screen, we aren't discussing the playability, I know for a fact many games won't be playable seriously like that, but stick to the point of this.

So we see that there actually is just switching, there's really not an independent mode that I can see because you have the console running all the time wether HDTV is connected or not the main output is still there I think, however there really may be some kind of detection if the main input is not there it'll automatically switch to the controller.

When the thing is out there will be high-speed camera tests so we can really prove it, until then we're just talking what makes sense, but i expect nintendo will do a good job, better than with the wiimote, remember, the wiiu controller has a magnetometer, it'll make it a lot more precise, better motion and no need for constant re-calibration re-centering whatever.

dude, you use way to many words to make very simple points. for some reason the post before that was very hard to read.

about your question: Off-TV Play as we have seen it so far simply means that you have the option to play the game without any touch screen features on the controller via a push of a button. going back to the Mass Effect 3 example, in the videos from the EA event you clearly see the game running with map/quick-select on the touch screen and by pushing the home button (why not the TV button, EA? early dev version thing?) you bring the game to the touch screen without any interface features. press it again and it moves back to the TV and features the map, etc.

there is no "gamepad off" feature. I don't see a reason why there would be one. the only possible alternative would be if a game supports the Pro Controller which you then use like with a 360/PS3. if you are using the gamepad to play, you will have the touch screen showing whatever they made for that game, even if it's just a map or inventory.

edit: after re-reading your post I don't even know if that was even your question. the way you put words together confuses me. you cast confuse on me. I cast fire. what now? huh? *clutches head in pain*

do that while yelling "BE FREE! GO, LIVE AND BE FREE!"

we'll be reading about you in the newspapers soon after :)

Lol, I used to know someone that did that in a supermarket years ago. He was drunk, walked over to the frozen food section, picked up a couple of frozen chickens and threw them into the air shouting, 'Fly away my feathered friends, be free!!!' Lololol

And no, it wasn't me lol

D-e-f-

Banned
Lol, I used to know someone that did that in a supermarket years ago. He was drunk, walked over to the frozen food section, picked up a couple of frozen chickens and threw them into the air shouting, 'Fly away my feathered friends, be free!!!' Lololol

And no, it wasn't me lol

Of course not ...

OR WAS IT??!!! :D

Stewox

Banned
dude, you use way to many words to make very simple points. for some reason the post before that was very hard to read.

about your question: Off-TV Play as we have seen it so far simply means that you have the option to play the game without any touch screen features on the controller via a push of a button. going back to the Mass Effect 3 example, in the videos from the EA event you clearly see the game running with map/quick-select on the touch screen and by pushing the home button (why not the TV button, EA? early dev version thing?) you bring the game to the touch screen without any interface features. press it again and it moves back to the TV and features the map, etc.

there is no "gamepad off" feature. I don't see a reason why there would be one. the only possible alternative would be if a game supports the Pro Controller which you then use like with a 360/PS3. if you are using the gamepad to play, you will have the touch screen showing whatever they made for that game, even if it's just a map or inventory.

I didn't ask anything. It was an audience-question. And I already answered that, but I couldn't answer definitively, we don't know what devs are doing, how are they implementing it, to which extent nintendo controlls the lag or not, nobody knows this yet in public.

The TV button is the remote, we thought it was there to switch before we knew about the universal remote feature.

I don't think we should take Mass Effect 3 as a control example, it's a low budget port. The best default is to use one of nintendo first-parties. But the switching is fine, it's a nintendo directive, or standard, every game will have this the same way via wiiu menu by pressign the home button first and selecting to switch, there will also be the very practical and useful suspend mode.

Why do everyone compare Pro controller to PS3/360 in a superior way against GamePad, just because of the looks or perception. The inheritance of the general perception of X360/PS3 being "hardcore", the mainstream them selfs thought this up by them selfs. The HDTV introduces lag, not the controller, your gaming experience will not be affected in either polarity, there is no latency benefit using the Pro controller.

Everyone playing seriously the fast paced FPS games like HALO on the oft mentioned "you can get a cheap HDTVs at walmart" is technically automatically negatively handicapped. Wether you have a 360, 720, PS3, WiiU, PS4, PS5, PS10, N64 , DreamCast, PC , PS1, PS2 you are not getting the proper feedback at the time of pressing the button.

There is no inherited deficiency in the WiiU GamePad by just having WLAN and a screen on it, the sync feature is practically just a half-baked workaround, better than nothing, this shows you nintedno is well familiar with this problem and they're exposing this latency to the public, you don't see any other company talking about it as much (well Carmack does 10times fold, but i was meaning the console/mobile/hdtv hardware companies), it's at least better to play with the lag than with 2 screens not being synced and you'd get even more confused.

The gamepad sync is only to sync it's LCD video output with the HDTV inherited delayed response, the inputs are totally independent and function the same. What you press or command on either controller will be delayed by around 50-100 ms by the time you see it on the HDTV. The cheaper the HDTV, more latency.

D-e-f-

Banned
stuff about lag, controllers and more suff

I never said anything about any controller being superior or having no lag or whatever. All I said was there will (probably) be no option to turn off the touch screen (because I originally thought your post was about that for some reason) and that the only way to play without using the benefits of the screen would be with (most likely) third party software that may offer an optional "traditional mode" that uses the Pro controller which turns the game into the regular version available on other platforms. There was nothing in there about anything being better or having fewer latency issues or anything of that sort.

onilink88

Holy hell. I really have to stop going into Zelda discussions. The fanbase is just absolutely fucking putrid.

"The Zelda series is beyond saving at this point."

"The series has been stagnating for far too long."

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit?

If you don't go in their "How I Could Make a Better Zelda Game than Nintendo" dime-a-dozen threads agreeing with them on how TLoZ should be, you're some kind of fanboy? They seem to exist in a reality in which - if Nintendo panders to their mold of a Zelda game - all will be well with the series, and everyone will be pleased. Quite frankly, that's nothing short of delusional. The fact of the matter is that, given the total and utter fragmentation of the fanbase, you'd end up with a game that pisses off a chunk of people; I very much doubt that the Zelda team could come with a game that's universally appealing at this point. And if things weren't bad enough, they've got this obnoxious proclivity for conflating their opinions and/or the ramblings of the vocal minority for fact/objective metrics. Mind you, I'm not some fool who thinks that because you like TLoZ, you should like everything that comes out it. But there's a fine line between criticism and what these people attempt to get away with. I pray Nintendo has the good sense to ignore them and do whatever the fuck they want.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Just needed to get that off of my chest.

Holy hell. I really have to stop going in to Zelda discussions. The fanbase is just absolutely fucking putrid.

If you don't go in their "How I Could Make a Better Zelda Game than Nintendo" dime-a-dozen threads agreeing with them on how TLoZ should be, you're some kind of fanboy? They seem to exist in a reality in which - if Nintendo panders to their mold of a Zelda game - all will be well with the series, and everyone will be pleased. Quite frankly, that's nothing short of delusional. The fact of the matter is that, given the total and utter fragmentation of the fanbase, you'd end up with a game that pisses off a chunk of people; I very much doubt that the Zelda team could come with a game that's universally appealing at this point. And if things weren't bad enough, they've got this obnoxious proclivity for conflating their opinions and/or the ramblings of the vocal minority for fact/objective metrics. Mind you, I'm not some fool who thinks that because you like TLoZ, you should like everything that comes out it. But there's a fine line between criticism and what these people attempt to get away with. I pray Nintendo has the good sense to ignore these people and do whatever the fuck they want.

People need to chill about Zelda. Let Nintendo do their job. I have been happy with all the Zeldas. People like to complain and then it has this trendy domino effect then others start saying stuff. Its good idea not to really read to much into it. People start seeing all these invisible issues that arent really there and people all jump aboard to point it out..and I just roll my eyes because I dont have the whole gaf issue box reflex and enjoy the game for what it is and not get agitated by petty self annoyances.

Lachie007

Every zelda thread is like that now. Need to learn to avoid them but u know its know its zelda!

Skyward sword was awesome but it still seems like an 'old' game. For example the final battle u go into with full health and fairies or whatever items and if u lose they're gone. I just reset the game. Stuff like that can be improved but Im happy with the evolution of the franchise.

And when ever someone calls darksiders the true next gen zelda i just have to comment, like really? Its a good game but c'mon.

People need to chill about Zelda. Let Nintendo do their job. I have been happy with all the Zeldas. People like to complain and then it has this trendy domino effect then others start saying stuff. Its good idea not to really read to much into it. People start seeing all these invisible issues that arent really there and people all jump aboard to point it out..and I just roll my eyes because I dont have the whole gaf issue box reflex and enjoy the game for what it is and not get agitated by petty self annoyances.

The most disgusting shit about this behaviour is when certain individuals imply that you could enjoy it, if you weren't as clever, sophisticated, educated as them. Nerd snobbery is disgusting.

D-e-f-

Banned
There are definitely Zelda-future/past discussions worth having but unfortunately that's almost impossible in an open internet forum since that topic will attract trolls and people who don't know what they're talking about wanting to force their opinion on others.

Soroc

All ports will most likely have "Off Screen Play". I was watching a video of ME3 and it made a lot of sense.

Dual Screen gaming > takes advantages of 2nd screen, map, customizable buttons on both left and right side of screen plus other features they weren't ready to reveal yet.

Once you press the "off screen" button

Game plays exactly like it would on 360/PS3.

The Only games I see not having Off Screen play are exclusives designed around major ideas for the second screen. I think even ZombiU is going to allow off screen gaming and thats the one game I've seen that you would think would require it.

D-e-f-

Banned
I think even ZombiU is going to allow off screen gaming and thats the one game I've seen that you would think would require it.

No mention of ZombiU supporting that. The GamePad features are essential to the game so I don't see them letting you turn that off. They made such a big deal about the "bug out bag" and you having to look up and down to check for enemies while searching through it, they can't say "ooh that's optional". It seems deeply ingrained in the design of that title.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Do we think there will be any 3rd party announcements at Gamescom?

Do we think there will be any 3rd party announcements at Gamescom?
Like I said in the WiiU preorder thread because someone asked this was it you? I cant remember lol.. but hopefully atleast something like sonic all star racing on WiiU. Hopefully some dumb NDA gets lifted then and probably a Nintendo direct next week.. but im just wishing upon a star so dont expect any of that.

Meelow

Banned
Like I said in the WiiU preorder thread because someone asked this was it you? I cant remember lol.. but hopefully atleast something like sonic all star racing on WiiU. Hopefully some dumb NDA gets lifted then and probably a Nintendo direct next week.. but im just wishing upon a star so dont expect any of that.

It's already confirmed to be coming to Wii U, unless you mean some gameplay footage?.

Stewox

Banned
Holy hell. I really have to stop going in to Zelda discussions. The fanbase is just absolutely fucking putrid.

If you don't go in their "How I Could Make a Better Zelda Game than Nintendo" dime-a-dozen threads agreeing with them on how TLoZ should be, you're some kind of fanboy? They seem to exist in a reality in which - if Nintendo panders to their mold of a Zelda game - all will be well with the series, and everyone will be pleased. Quite frankly, that's nothing short of delusional. The fact of the matter is that, given the total and utter fragmentation of the fanbase, you'd end up with a game that pisses off a chunk of people; I very much doubt that the Zelda team could come with a game that's universally appealing at this point. And if things weren't bad enough, they've got this obnoxious proclivity for conflating their opinions and/or the ramblings of the vocal minority for fact/objective metrics. Mind you, I'm not some fool who thinks that because you like TLoZ, you should like everything that comes out it. But there's a fine line between criticism and what these people attempt to get away with. I pray Nintendo has the good sense to ignore them and do whatever the fuck they want.

I had more of an experience with Skyward Sword than I did on PC for like 2 years, exception of Company of Heroes and Starcraft 2. However, we were just in this time of console explosion but the other studios just took a longer path, like id software, we'll see COH2, Rome 2, Doom4, Generals 2, in the next years, PC never died, it was just a break.

Those that say that are just hungry gamers who never apperciated the work. They need a break and come back.

I never said anything about any controller being superior or having no lag or whatever. All I said was there will (probably) be no option to turn off the touch screen (because I originally thought your post was about that for some reason) and that the only way to play without using the benefits of the screen would be with (most likely) third party software that may offer an optional "traditional mode" that uses the Pro controller which turns the game into the regular version available on other platforms. There was nothing in there about anything being better or having fewer latency issues or anything of that sort.

I did thought and noticed about the disabling the controller screen, but nothing really moved in the rumors or any indication, at least I haven't seen much.

Well, it would be cool to have that mode, especially for dynamic resolution and GFX adjustment, the second screen doesn't need to have the rendering stuff all maxed out to leave some of the power to the main output.

That's where i was talking about the separate rendering, because I didn't expect to be able to shut off the LCD completely.

Roo

I think even ZombiU is going to allow off screen gaming and thats the one game I've seen that you would think would require it.

I'm pretty sure that Gabrielle girl from Ubisoft already confirmed you won't be able to play the game just on the gamepad. The game has a lot of touchscreen functions it is imposible to use the Off TV Play mode

The biggest use for Off TV gameplay is VC and Wii games.

How are games like Skyward Sword going to work? Are you going to have to sit the controller on a stand and look at the small screen from a few feet away?

EDIT: Also, is there any chance of being able to map a Wiimote shake to a button on the GP? Highly doubt it's a possibility, but playing Galaxy in bed...I shouldn't set myself up for disappointment.

D-e-f-

Banned

I hope that it's a system-level standard for non-Wii U titles. That would be sooo cool especially for games that feature Classic Controller support and can thus be played without any extra peripheral.

How are games like Skyward Sword going to work? Are you going to have to sit the controller on a stand and look at the small screen from a few feet away?

They'd work in theory but why would anyone do that to themselves? If that option is not tied to software requirements, you could just say all Wii, VC and WiiWare games CAN be played like that but obviously not all of them SHOULD be played like that.

japtor

It should be available for nearly any port since they were all designed for traditional controls and a single screen to begin with, the interface in those cases is already done (...unless they need analog triggers). If they want to tack on whatever dual screen gameplay fine, but it doesn't mean they should scrap what they already have, particularly when it enables a nice feature such as this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom