• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

I just wish 2D Mario looked as good as Sonic Generations. The little I played of it really impressed me. It really had the spirit of the 16 bit games in polygonal form.

AzaK

Um... I hate to break it to you, but never.
Even the HD Twins have ways of streaming stuff to a second screen for that matter.

Yeah, but terribly and it would be at a considerably lower quality than what they can render now obviously.

The first game built for Durango/Orbis that is downported to the Wii U will look better than anything on the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

Yup, that's one positive out of all these shitty launch title graphics. Until the PS4/720 com eout we'll get essentially identical looking ports, and then all of a sudden when developers start developing for those with Compute Shaders the Wii U games will all of a sudden get a bump.

How many people here are going to get ZombiU first day? It's a must buy for me after reading some of the impressions and watching a lot of the footage. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you Ubisoft for something good.
Based on the currently announced launch line up, it's probably in my top 2 so yes.

Nibel

This reminds me, what am I going to do with my Wii? I don't think it worth anything to sell it and there isn't really any emotional attachment to keep it.

I usually give my consoles to my younger brother and he keeps them until he doesn't want them anymore. Then we put them in the closet.
A few laters, there will be always a discussion like "Hey, remember game x on console y?" - "Yeah!.. Hey! I still got one and I got game x! Let's play that shit!". And then: plenty of nostalgic moments. :D

Roo

How many people here are going to get ZombiU first day? It's a must buy for me after reading some of the impressions and watching a lot of the footage. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you Ubisoft for something good.

It definitely is on my top 3 must have games
and I said it before, so far, ZombiU is the only game that has sold me the console.

This post ignores all of Nintendo's 1st party efforts.

Pretty much, depending on the type of game Retro ends up making primarily. All in all though, I'm not expecting the EAD groups to blow us away with pure technical prowess...they have little experience with HD hardware development after all compared to ND/Santa Monica/GG/343. But in terms of great use of visual aesthetic and artstyles, my mouth should water, just not from the texture quality, particles, realistic lighting, tesselation or uber sampling :p.

That said, I'm most looking forward to seeing how Nintendo transitions it's 1st party house's visuals to HD. Especially games like Kirby, Yoshi's Island, Mario and Metroid. I'd love to see a real investment in artstyles and even surrealistic aesthetics (like the Mushroom Kingdom) be redefined artistically with better hardware, performance and resolution. "Pixar-quality" to me at this stage, seems a bit generic. Give me something visually I've never seen before.

I just wish 2D Mario looked as good as Sonic Generations. The little I played of it really impressed me. It really had the spirit of the 16 bit games in polygonal form.

It looked great, but things were a bit difficult to see at some points because it was really busy. 3D environments in 2D games tend to make things unnecessarily busy. I think NSMB does get that right. It's always easy to see what is going on.

Sonic Generations has insane and incredible art direction and it is extremely resource-intensive (not from a hardware perspective, but from a development one).

That might also be why Sonic Generations is like three hours long - shorter if you take out the side-missions that reuse assets from the main levels.

Log4Girlz

Sonic Generations has insane and incredible art direction and it is extremely resource-intensive (not from a hardware perspective, but from a development one).

That might also be why Sonic Generations is like three hours long - shorter if you take out the side-missions that reuse assets from the main levels.

Hey I used to beat the old Mario games in about as much time. I bought Star Fox 64 again for Wii and seriously, that's like an hour tops lol.

HylianTom

Banned
It's looking more and more likely for me, especially if impressions are decent and the amount of game content is worthwhile. I'm liking how it uses the gamepad. Very encouraging, especially coming from a third party.

And my Wii is going to stay as a GameCube player for the time being. I might eventually grab a GameCube, as the hardware seems tough as nails. Thinking really long-term, I want hardware that'll last me decades, so a backup GameCube or Wii is definitely on my shopping list..

{ I <3 physical media! }

Effect

It's currently one of the two games I plan on getting. The use of the controllers and the concepts they're going for have really stood out. Trying not to decide on the other in case more games get announced, especially Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

I'll likely keep my Wii around as a GameCube player as well. My original GameCube does work but the Wii would do away with me needing to find the memory cards for it. The Wii lets you save GameCube saves to the system memory or SD cards right or is that just Wii games?

Pretty much, depending on the type of game Retro ends up making primarily. All in all though, I'm not expecting the EAD groups to blow us away with pure technical prowess...they have little experience with HD hardware development after all compared to ND/Santa Monica/GG/343. But in terms of great use of visual aesthetic and artstyles, my mouth should water, just not from the texture quality, particles, realistic lighting, tesselation or uber sampling :p.

That said, I'm most looking forward to seeing how Nintendo transitions it's 1st party house's visuals to HD. Especially games like Kirby, Yoshi's Island, Mario and Metroid. I'd love to see a real investment in artstyles and even surrealistic aesthetics (like the Mushroom Kingdom) be redefined artistically with better hardware, performance and resolution. "Pixar-quality" to me at this stage, seems a bit generic. Give me something visually I've never seen before.

It's interesting that you mention this. In the AMD demo I linked to the description talks about the usage of DirectCompute and its usage for the lighting. Thanks to the GPGPU rumor, this stuck out more to me than in the past.

That said is "Pixar-quality" something visually you've seen before in a video game?

Anth0ny

I'd be totally okay with that for a new Mario sidescroller on Wii U. Regulate NSMB to handhelds. The classic section of Generations is everything I could have asked for for a modern day 2D Sonic game. New Super Mario Bros falls more along the lines of Sonic 4.

Where's Super Mario Generations, Nintendo? ;)

It's interesting that you mention this. In the AMD demo I linked to the description talks about the usage of DirectCompute and its usage for the lighting. Thanks to the GPGPU rumor, this stuck out more to me than in the past.

That said is "Pixar-quality" something visually you've seen before in a video game?

I apologize, didn't catch that link, really haven't been following too closely on the tech talk about Wii U. Been a bit busy lately, you know how it is. :p

But no, can't say I've seen Pixar-quality in a video game (for approximate sake, because we both know even PS4/Xbox 3 won't reach true Pixar IQ frame-per-frame anyway). But my point was I've seen it all before in films and even attempted approximates in games to get the "Pixar-look", I'm just saying I'd opt for something totally artistically new, rather than reaching for something we see everyday on TV/Films. But don't even get me started about how Disney needs to go back to hand drawn cartoons and well done catchy musicals instead of the CGI cesspool that Disney overall has become...

Linkhero1

Glad to see a lot of people are planning on getting it. I'm hoping it does well since it seems Ubisoft is actually trying with the Wii U.

It's in my thought process for sure. I'm like Effect, at the moment. Going to limit myself to 2 launch games. So I must choice wisely.

Considering that Pikmin 3 and Rayman might not be launch day titles, you might have to get it :p

It's a must for me.

TriGen

Not me. I've never liked any survival horror games, there just not my thing. Another title that people seem to be getting excited over online is P-100, but again it doesn't really appeal to me. The two day 1 games I'll grab with the system are NSMBU and Darksiders II.

I don't care that some people aren't as happy about this Mario as others but to me it looks really good. The problem with NSMBW was the fact that the style and background art didn't look good, the gameplay itself was pretty much normal Mario, well from what I've seen of the backgrounds in NSMBU it looks like that problem was remedied, and the HD blocks pop just enough to make it the one game that convinced me to get a Wii U on launch day regardless of color or anything else, even though I probaly couldn't have resited new hardware anyway.

Darksiders II looks like it's coming along nicely as well. I've never played the first one because some of the negatives I heard and saw looked like the type of things that might bother me, but from what I've seen of DS2 so far it will likely do a good job of filling that action/adventure/RPG void at launch. I always need a game that is kind of a grand adventure with a story, especially since my number 1 game is a no-story 2D platformer.

The other 2 launch window games I will consider grabbing are Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3. I need to hear how Rayman Legends plays in single-player before committing, but if it's a good challenging platformer in single-player mode I will definetly buy it. Pikmin 3 I'm up in the air on, at E3 Nintendo only let people play it with the motion-plus and nunchuk. I don't really want to play it that way so I need to wait for reactions when it's played only with the gamepad. Miyamoto mentioned how some people at Nintendo use the gamepad almost exclusively while others (himself included I gather) believe in motion-plus, so I'll have to wait to know how good it is with the gamepad before deciding on that one.

Overall what's good for me is out of the 4 games that I would have interest in for the Wii U 2 are launch day (NSMBU, and DS2), and 2 are launch window (RL, and P3). I got the impression release dates are still undediced but based off comments, and how Nintendo's list reads it sure sounds like that's how it will play out, so that's perfect for me.

Touch

Considering that Pikmin 3 and Rayman might not be launch day titles, you might have to get it :p

It's a must for me.
Yeah, it may end up that way. I'm not the biggest fan of Zombie games but I'm a huge survival horror fan and from what the interviews I have watched, it seems that the focus on survival horror is the true goal for this game.

Acebandage: "Twas a great E3"
BurntPork: "Nintendoomed"

5 Seconds later

BurntPork: "It was amazing"

5 Seconds later

BurntPork: "Nintendo is doomed! No third party support etc etc"
Burnts I can actually see.

Ace... he had some fairly lofty expectations. And while no doubt he would have found a few things that looked great, overall he probably would have been disappointed. Maybe not as much as some of us.

I can't judge his adulation to Nintendo. I've got it in more than a few ways myself. I just try not to let it delude me as much as the inner squirrel who tries to break my spirit.

Linkhero1

Burnts I can actually see.

Ace... he had some fairly lofty expectations. And while no doubt he would have found a few things that looked great, overall he probably would have been disappointed. Maybe not as much as some of us.

I can't judge his adulation of Nintendo. I've got it in more than a few ways myself. I just try not to let it delude me as much as the inner squirrel who tries to break my spirit.

I didn't know what Ace was expecting and how he felt after the presentation, so I came up with something so it wouldn't seem that I was just picking on BurntPork :p

I didn't know what Ace was expecting and how he felt after the presentation, so I came up with something so it wouldn't seem that I was just picking on BurntPork :p
Hey in hindsight apparently my bare minimum wasn't even enough to vault over.

So there's that.

Still can't believe nothing from 2013 was shown. Nothing to even allude to ongoing support.

TriGen

He was modest with his predictions on the hardware, but he expected a lot from the games. He would have been really pissed at no 2013 titles. I remeber him saying "Retro's game will definetly be there" so that alone would have bothered him big time.

MDX

Apologies if this has been posted. I couldn't find it, but it's over a week old so must be somewhere here.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-getting-achievements-cloud-storage-social-networking/

Wii U development and game ports
Additionally, the source mentioned that porting current gen games to the Wii U isn’t as easy as originally thought, and that games that have been developed for the Xbox 360 are “much easier to port to Wii U than PS3 versions. A lot less headache involved because their architecture is similar. Technically, you can just recompile X360 to the Wii U and it’ll pretty much run, but PS3 to Wii U is much much trickier.” He said that the latest SDK hardware is final, only the software keeps updating.

“We’ve spent a lot of time creating our own tools for the X360 this generation, and we’ve already tweaked a lot of the tools to work on the Wii U. But if you code on the Wii U from ground up and have to use middleware, it’s probably gonna be tougher than doing an X360 game from ground up.”

That is what I expected.
People keep equating Xenos with Cell

MDX

Rantings of a schizoid personality off their meds?

tumblr-lrzkuovgim1qf9buqo1-500.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd be totally okay with that for a new Mario sidescroller on Wii U. Regulate NSMB to handhelds. The classic section of Generations is everything I could have asked for for a modern day 2D Sonic game. New Super Mario Bros falls more along the lines of Sonic 4.

Where's Super Mario Generations, Nintendo? ;)

I'd rather have Zelda generations. Have to beat each dungeon 2D and 3D style.

MDX

Someone from GAF asked the Gearbox guys about Aliens and they couldn't talk about it..

Im wondering if they will launch AvP bundled with that gun accessory.
Probably why these guys are putting that extra effort in the WiiU version, since
we all know the WiiU's CPU is just three Broadways duck-taped together.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What do you mean blu? Do you mean there was too much emphasis put on it? If they didn't do that, what would they have done because weren't compute shaders not really around then?
It's not that they necessarily had obvious alternatives. It's that the fp throughput of those CPUs was mostly wasted/used for stuff gpu transistors would've done better. For instance, Sony could have picked a more potent gpu, instead of relegating gpu work to the SPUs. Undoubtedly there were good SPU use cases, but CELL's most useful role throughout the gen was to babysit the RSX. With Xenos the situation was a tad different - there the gpu was both potent and actually capable of compute-style tasks via the memexport feature, but that remained largely underutilized. I hope we'll see some attitude shift this gen toward better workload distribution among the main work units of the platforms. In this regard, U is a step in the right direction.

AzaK

It's not that they necessarily had obvious alternatives. It's that the fp throughput of those CPUs was mostly wasted/used for stuff gpu transistors would've done better. For instance, Sony could have picked a more potent gpu, instead of relegating gpu work to the SPUs. Undoubtedly there were good SPU use cases, but CELL's most useful role throughout the gen was to babysit the RSX. With Xenos the situation was a tad different - there the gpu was both potent and actually capable of compute-style tasks via the memexport feature, but that remained largely underutilized. I hope we'll see some attitude shift this gen toward better workload distribution among the main work units of the platforms. In this regard, U is a step in the right direction.

Thanks. I'd imagine it's a given that console makers will move towards GPGPU stuff, because manufacturers seem enamoured with it and don't PC's do it already?

Also wasn't Tim Sweeney's DICE talk last year basically saying he'd like to see pretty much everything go to compute shaders. I.e. essentially back to "software" rendering. Gotta think thT UE4 will be heavily into that then.

This news of compute shaders has restored a bit of joy back into the Wii U hardware discussion. I imagine that once PS4 and 720 come out and devs go that route, we will see a nice bump in Wii performance no?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Excuse me if the following comes across as whiney....

I'm still peeved that there is no plans to put Pikmin 3 online. I was reading people explain that the 100 on-screen pikmin makes this very difficult to track online, but then I realized that Pikmin are AI. They don't need to be tracked at all as long as the two internet players are running same copy of the game. Isn't the main thing that is transmitted across games in online play is the input from the other player(s)? If that's the case I don't see how pikmin is any more tricky to get working online than any other 2-player game. Once you would have built the net-code to transmit the player input to each other's console, the only extra work would be in dealing with how to handle lag, which in Pikmin's case is not a big deal as the players don't even interact with each other directly.

At the end of the day, the only thing you need to transmit over the network is the I/O data from the player's controller. Nothing else. (I think.)

Where am I going wrong?

For reference, here is what Miyamoto used as a reason for no online Pikmin:

"But in the situation of Pikmin, for example, since you would have lots of individual, small creatures, the Pikmin, whose every movement and location is going to be really important in the game, it would be very difficult to sync up over an internet connection."

I hope he is wrong about this, because to have a Pikmin game online is a gamer's dream come true, imo.

I still don't get the Pikmin love, but yes Nintendo always finds a lame way to abuse fans

I bet Wii U finally has a true Pokemon RPG for the console just to find out it has NFC but no online play or trading :p

I'm still peeved that there is no plans to put Pikmin 3 online. I was reading people explain that the 100 on-screen pikmin makes this very difficult to track online, but then I realized that Pikmin are AI. They don't need to be tracked at all as long as the two internet players are running same copy of the game. Isn't the main thing that is transmitted across games in online play is the input from the other player(s)? If that's the case I don't see how pikmin is any more tricky to get working online than any other 2-player game. Once you would have built the net-code to transmit the player input to each other's console, the only extra work would be in dealing with how to handle lag, which in Pikmin's case is not a big deal as the players don't even interact with each other directly.

At the end of the day, the only thing you need to transmit over the network is the I/O data from the player's controller. Nothing else. (I think.)

Where am I going wrong?

"But in the situation of Pikmin, for example, since you would have lots of individual, small creatures, the Pikmin, whose every movement and location is going to be really important in the game, it would be very difficult to sync up over an internet connection."

I hope he is wrong about this, because to have a Pikmin game online is a gamer's dream come true, imo.
If they'd ever tried to create a competent online system, or at least learned from others they'd know it's no more challenging than most. You have much more direct control over a limited number of Pikmin, but RTS games have been dealing with hundreds if not thousands of player controller units. Again, direct control isn't there, but it still shouldn't be impossible.

burst

Where am I going wrong?

Apparently, online will feature heavily in pikmin 4, slated for a 2030 release.

MDX

Sony Europe boss Jim Ryan has confessed that Wii U is a potential risk to Sony’s PlayStation 3. Ryan says that although Nintendo’s forthcoming console is a potential risk, the company is extremely confident that the new IP’s they have been working on will pay dividends, and will ultimately brush off the threat of Wii U.

“It’s obviously a potential risk but we feel really good about our content. Obviously, it comes down to content. There are people who buy gadgets for the sake of the gadget, but that’s pretty niche. We feel good about our line-up that we showed at E3. We’re very excited about publishing it. We’ve got 30 million PS3s (sales target) for this year, it’s a big number but we’ve got the tools to go out and deliver that.”

How many of the games they showed were for 2013?
What games do they think will sell the console this year?
Im starting to see a 2014 release for the PS4.

How many of the games they showed were for 2013?
What games do they think will sell the console this year?
Im starting to see a 2014 release for the PS4.

kinda strange to admit risk or concern about Wii U I doubt he intended for them to write it like this who ever this source is since you posted not links.

Nintendo showed very little for Sony or MS to be concerned at all, at least not yet

I think I read Nintendo expects 10 million Wii+WiiU sales this year so SONY wins

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder what Acebandage and Burntpork think of this year's E3.

I'm sure Ace would have disappeared when they said a 2D Mario would be available at launch. He ripped into a couple of us when we said that was a definite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom