• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pikmin was like a first glimpse, but we all know that it was a Wii game. And you can still feel it. Mario could have been done on the Wii too. And both of them can't really make up with any significant gamepad features either...
Yes, I was vague (and lazy) with my statement but I indeed assumed it was comprehendible to anyone who'd read this thread :)
I still cant deny how great pikmin looks though regardless if it was from the Wii the game is gorgeous. I was playing brawl on the pikmin level the other day and it started raining on it and I... I just want pikmin 3 nao!!!

Anth0ny

Nintendo will have 2 SKU's for the Wii U.
One priced at 299,00 and the other priced at 349,00.

The first SKU for 299,00 will be bare bones. Package will contain Wii U unit and one Gamepad controller. The system will NOT include an HDMI cable.

The second SKU for 349,00 will include Nintendo-Land and a voucher for online purchase!
The voucher will enable you to purchase at least two games through the new online store.

Now here comes the kicker...

Call of Duty Black OPS 2 will come bundled with the Wii U Pro controller for a very special price!

too smart for Nintendo. don't believe this for a second.

So what happens if everything you've claimed turns out to be false? Can I ban you?
I can ban you.

To be fair he did mention that it was a rumour and mentioned taking it all with copious amounts of Sodium Chloride.

And it's given us all something apart from Van Owen's trollage to talk about.

Banned
I'll believe anything about Nintendo that comes from this source:

satoru_iwata.jpg
Iwata is not anonymous so his words dont mean anything.

After catching up I realized MDX is about to be banned. It's getting ridiculous now.

jmizzal

Nintendo will have 2 SKU's for the Wii U.
One priced at 299,00 and the other priced at 349,00.

The first SKU for 299,00 will be bare bones. Package will contain Wii U unit and one Gamepad controller. The system will NOT include an HDMI cable.

The second SKU for 349,00 will include Nintendo-Land and a voucher for online purchase!
The voucher will enable you to purchase at least two games through the new online store.

Now here comes the kicker...

Call of Duty Black OPS 2 will come bundled with the Wii U Pro controller for a very special price!

Wait what? You get to download two retail games or 2 wiiware type games? Cuz no way would I pass up the 2nd SKU for 2 retail games plus Nintendoland

To be fair he did mention that it was a rumour and mentioned taking it all with copious amounts of Sodium Chloride.

Well in that case I can say this:
I don't know if this is true, but I have a mole inside Nintendo Company Ltd.'s board of directors, and I can say that Wii U will launch tomorrow with Super Mario Galaxy 3, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Metroid Prime 4, Uncharted 4, Halo 4 timed exclusive and they resurrected Steve Jobs as a Nintendo employee who will be giving out fucking handjobs.

Iwata is not anonymous so his words dont mean anything.

After catching up I realized MDX is about to be banned. It's getting ridiculous now.

Wait, what?

jerd

So...

Not one person has taken any of my advice? Shit stirrers or bait takers?

You guys really do deserve what you get.

Hi, and welcome to the Wii U thread. Here we love taking rumors as fact, getting too emotionally involved, and think in circles. Please enjoy yourself, and help yourself to the pie.

;-)

Jarsonot

Just a side thought:

I was really excited about the Wii U Gamepad. Then I got an iPad last month, and don't really care about the "wow" factor anymore. The Wii Remote was different, and was something that you couldn't experience elsewhere at the time. This Gamepad is different. There's nothing (except software) that will make consumers with an iPad, Nexus 7 or any other tablet to flock to the Wii U. Nintendo HAS to have software worth dying for, and I don't mean just their Wii Sports/Wii Fit/Mario/Zelda/Pokemon. Nintendoland is a start, but in my opinion, is not a compelling one for the typical non-Japanese consumer.

I have an iPad 2, and use it (among other things) for games. I believe the gamepad will trounce it for gaming purposes. The gamepad has buttons, which is enough to make it better alone, but also it will be able to play a bigger library of... Actual games? Not sure how to phrase that, and not trying to start any iOS gaming wars, just my opinion.

Kacho

Everyone has a source and can spout bullshit rumors on a forum if it's meant to be taken with a grain of salt. His "rumors" resemble the garbage you find on any number of dedicated Nintendo sites around the web. They have no place here on GAF.

Hi, and welcome to the Wii U thread. Here we love taking rumors as fact, getting too emotionally involved, and think in circles. Please enjoy yourself, and help yourself to the pie.

;-)

To be completely honest i didnt notice all that many people taking the rumors as truth. It seemed more like cautious optimism in the face of justifiable uncertainty.

Banned
Well in that case I can say this:
I don't know if this is true, but I have a mole inside Nintendo Company Ltd.'s board of directors, and I can say that Wii U will launch tomorrow with Super Mario Galaxy 3, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, Metroid Prime 4, Uncharted 4, Halo 4 timed exclusive and they resurrected Steve Jobs as a Nintendo employee who will be giving out fucking handjobs.

Wait, what?
:p sarcasm my good man.

Sarah bought a Wii back in 2008 to play some Wii Fit and some Wii Sports. She also saw that Just Dance was a $39.99 game, so she picked that up and had fun with that. She had so much fun that she also picked up two sequels with new songs in them. She also might have picked up New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii to play with her kids and with some friends at a party, but she doesn't really play by herself much. Recently, she picked up the new retina iPad, and is having a blast playing Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, and enjoys the other non-gaming apps on the iPad, such as the cooking apps and iBooks.

Why should she now buy a Wii U? For her, she already has a tablet, and Wii Fit/Wii Sports. Her kids are not old enough yet to want to buy a Wii U.

By the way, "teh Angry birdzzz is not a deeeeeeeeeeep geam" is not a compelling argument for this type of consumer. It already occupies her time.

Well... ok. I don't usually play the scenario game, but Sarah looks like an everyday person... so I'll bite.

The bolded is all about marketing (something we know very litte about for now). The advantage Nintendo has in this case is that they have the quality software. Sarah knows for a fact that she had fun with these games. She has a good impression of the product (familiarity), and therefore trusts Nintendo. This is why these brands cannot be ignored.

Now it is up to the company to tell her why she should invest in their product again. Let's hope they do a good job, but I have some faith. Their advertising for the Wii was crucial in its success, so I trust their experience. Time will tell.

And just to recapitulate, Let me make it clear that I agree that NEW software is crucial as well. I too am curious when it comes to the games they've kept under wraps, and wonder if these games will also have the impact WiiSports or Mario had on gaming.

I have an iPad 2, and use it (among other things) for games. I believe the gamepad will trounce it for gaming purposes. The gamepad has buttons, which is enough to make it better alone, but also it will be able to play a bigger library of... Actual games? Not sure how to phrase that, and not trying to start any iOS gaming wars, just my opinion.

I'm not trying to start one as well. I just meant for other applications (Internet browsing, etc.) that they showed off. :p

Also, it would be incredibly stupid not to include a Photo/Movie/Video application in the console. My PS3 has one, my iPad has one ... hell my Nintendo 3DS even has one.

golcarfel

Neo Member
I could see Nintendo going the apple approach and releasing the Wii U in October. Given that they are advertising the Wii U already means that they wanna release it soon; don't want people to loose interest in a console if they don't know any information about it or if the launch is months away.

Plus Ubisoft has stated that they are going to support the Wii U in a BIG way, its not to far fetch to release AC III on the Wii U a bit early as part of their support.

And regarding the price of the Wii U, the $300 price was the expected price. A second SKU with Nintendo Land makes sense since they wanna sell the game like crazy.

Just saying that the information given to us is not out the realm of possibility.

No regarding the F-Zero rumor, that would be amazing if true.
Please be true!!

Also note that this is MY opinion, so please don't go bashing me like crazy. I just think that this is something that could happen.

I could see Nintendo going the apple approach and releasing the Wii U in October. Given that they are advertising the Wii U already means that they wanna release it soon; don't want people to loose interest in a console if they don't know any information about it or if the launch is months away.

Plus Ubisoft has stated that they are going to support the Wii U in a BIG way, its not to far fetch to release AC III on the Wii U a bit early as part of their support.

And regarding the price of the Wii U, the $300 price was the expected price. A second SKU with Nintendo Land makes sense since they wanna sell the game like crazy.

Just saying that the information given to us is not out the realm of possibility.

Please be true!!

Also note that this is MY opinion, so please don't go bashing me like crazy. I just think that this is something that could happen.

You didnt say anything bash-worthy at all.

Please be true!!

Just because it could be true doesn't mean you go onto a forum claiming it is true based upon a source that you refuse to reveal to the mods.

I still cant deny how great pikmin looks though regardless if it was from the Wii the game is gorgeous. I was playing brawl on the pikmin level the other day and it started raining on it and I... I just want pikmin 3 nao!!!

It's pretty good, but since it's the only game that comes close to being a ,,graphical showcase'', it's still kinda disappointing. It's why people naturally judge it more severe. And since the art style didn't really change that much, like some other IP most likely would might also lower the astonishment.
Last year was disappointing already, I was so curious to see what Nintendo in HD would look like. They didn't have anything ready, but the Zelda demo suggested that one would finally find out at next E3.
What we got instead after one year full of nothing was the same exact shit all over again. Well, plus Pikmin.

Man, remember the 3DS reveal in 2010. Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, etc. dropped on the conference (alongside crazy Wii games). Then you entered the Nintendo E3 page and discover OoT 3D, Paper Mario, Mario Kart and so forth... Fucking beautiful.

All in all, it just makes me doubt that they can handle proper HD development currently and no sourceless rumour about ,,pulled'' Retro Studios or F-Zero game can change that. Only some Iwata fall redemption could.

It's pretty good, but since it's the only game that comes close to being a ,,graphical showcase'', it's still kinda disappointing. It's why people naturally judge it more severe. And since the art style didn't really change that much, like some other IP most likely would might also lower the astonishment.
Last year was disappointing already, I was so curious to see what Nintendo in HD would look like. They didn't have anything ready, but the Zelda demo suggested that one would finally find out at next E3.
What we got instead after one year full of nothing was the same exact shit all over again. Well, plus Pikmin.

Man, remember the 3DS reveal in 2010. Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, etc. dropped on the conference (alongside crazy Wii games). Then you entered the Nintendo E3 page and discover OoT 3D, Paper Mario, Mario Kart and so forth... Fucking beautiful.

All in all, it just makes me doubt that they can handle proper HD development currently and no sourceless rumour about ,,pulled'' Retro Studios or F-Zero game can change that. Only some Iwata fall redemption could.
Hmmmm.. we'll see.

Pretty much.
It just hurts my little monkey brain to watch otherwise intelligent people post like their first born is in jeopardy, or like a giant faceless corporation killed their wife.

Why can't we agree that at the exact same time the WiiU can be much more powerful than current gen systems, but a hell of a lot weaker than other "next-gen" system.

And good God some of you guys stirring the shit? Can you please at least act rational about some of this? Oh course ports (especially quick and dirty) are not going to show anything approaching the capability of a system.

No shit... a system marginally more powerful is going to take work to make a visual difference. Work that isn't going into the vast majority of titles.

And please stop using games that don't require much of a budget as the visual standard for a new system. Pikmin? You're going to use Pikmin as a basis? A series that at its highest sold 3 million units WW is going to get a huge budget? Or a title that doesn't need a budget to sell like NSMB?

Right now we have seen nothing from Nintendo's technically capable developers.

Also, if Van Owen does not think WiiU is in a technical sense "next-gen"? Let him. He's not right he's not wrong. The system is using modern parts but they are not high spec parts.

Hell from the rumors the CPU in a pure floating point capability does not match CPU's 6-7 years old! Opting more for convenience and efficiency than capability.

Just... please all of you stop being such aggressive angry manchildren. That goes for the detractors, the enthusiasts, and even the good natured people like me that keep having to explain how big of douche-nozzles you are all being.

jmizzal

CASE SCENARIO:

smile%20gray%200574.jpg

Sarah bought a Wii back in 2008 to play some Wii Fit and some Wii Sports. She also saw that Just Dance was a $39.99 game, so she picked that up and had fun with that. She had so much fun that she also picked up two sequels with new songs in them. She also might have picked up New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii to play with her kids and with some friends at a party, but she doesn't really play by herself much. Recently, she picked up the new retina iPad, and is having a blast playing Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, and enjoys the other non-gaming apps on the iPad, such as the cooking apps and iBooks.

Why should she now buy a Wii U? For her, she already has a tablet, and Wii Fit/Wii Sports. Her kids are not old enough yet to want to buy a Wii U.

By the way, "teh Angry birdzzz is not a deeeeeeeeeeep geam" is not a compelling argument for this type of consumer. It already occupies her time.

She will buy it for the same reason why people rush to the store to buy iPad 2, iphone 5 and every other version.

Her kids are not old enough? Lol you do know 6 year olds get 300 dollar phones now right?

A game system which plays games on the tv like Wii and also has a tablet and you get all that for cheaper then most tablets? Casuals are gonna drool all over WiiU.

It just hurts my little monkey brain to watch otherwise intelligent people post like their first born is in jeopardy, or like a giant faceless corporation killed their wife.

Why can't we agree that at the exact same time the WiiU can be much more powerful than current gen systems, but a hell of a lot weaker than other "next-gen" system.

And good God some of you guys stirring the shit? Can you please at least act rational about some of this? Oh course ports (especially quick and dirty) are not going to show anything approaching the capability of a system.

No shit... a system marginally more powerful is going to take work to make a visual difference. Work that isn't going into the vast majority of titles.

And please stop using games that don't require much of a budget as the visual standard for a new system. Pikmin? You're going to use Pikmin as a basis? A series that at its highest sold 3 million units WW is going to get a huge budget? Or a title that doesn't need a budget to sell like NSMB?

Also, if Van Owen does not think WiiU is in a technical sense "next-gen"? Let him. He's not right he's not wrong. The system is using modern parts but they are not high spec parts.

Hell from the rumors the CPU in a pure floating point capability does not match CPU's 6-7 years old! Opting more for convenience and efficiency than capability.

Just... please all of you stop being such aggressive angry manchildren. That goes for the detractors, the enthusiasts, and even the good natured people like me that keep having to explain how big of douche-nozzles you are all being.

...douche-nozzles?

Banned

The Monkey - has spoken.

jerd

It's pretty good, but since it's the only game that comes close to being a ,,graphical showcase'', it's still kinda disappointing. It's why people naturally judge it more severe.

Have any post-E3 gameplay videos been released besides ZombiU. ZombiU looked very noticeably better at comic-con. Maybe the others will too?

She will buy it for the same reason why people rush to the store to buy iPad 2, iphone 5 and every other version.

Her kids are not old enough? Lol you do know 6 year olds get 300 dollar phones now right?

A game system which plays games on the tv like Wii and also has a tablet and you get all that for cheaper then most tablets? Casuals are gonna drool all over WiiU.

This is not the norm. Although if you double that age, it's true nowadays.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I was going to post something, but this will do.

Which is against NeoGAF's rules. Don't present rumors that you can't back up. ;P

And since i am not the person awaiting confirmation via PM etc such as a mod etc i cannot determine the status of whether his sources are being revealed or not. So instead of calling him out or blindly believing, i choose to wait until it gets resolved, then form an opinion.

You wasted a lot of words because fanboys will be fanboys. Sony fanboys, Nintendo fanboys, etc. but good job, good effort.

And since i am not the person awaiting confirmation via PM etc such as a mod etc i cannot determine the status of whether his sources are being revealed or not. So instead of calling him out or blindly believing, i choose to wait until it gets resolved, then form an opinion.

Dude. He said he had three sources. All three of which contradict each other.

Yes. Oh GOD yes. Thank you, Thunder Monkey. I have a nice fig pie for you
meet me at Fairmont Toronto, room 212, 12:00am sharp. Wear a diaper so I know it's you.

...douche-nozzles?

Yeah... I'd have gone with douche-waffles...
I like douching and I like nozzles. What of it?!
The Monkey - has spoken.

I was going to post something, but this will do.
Awww, making me blush.
You wasted a lot of words because fanboys will be fanboys. Sony fanboys, Nintendo fanboys, etc. but good job, good effort.
Occasionally you should explain to people why they look like idiots otherwise they will just continue to do so.

Hell, they likely will anyway.

DynamicG

So do we just like, leave figs in front of your statue or something? I feel like I need to do something in return for this.

tkscz

CASE SCENARIO:

smile%20gray%200574.jpg

The bolded makes no sense. Once they see a commercial for it, they more than likely will want it.

As for the rest, Sarah would buy a WiiU if she finds it interesting. She liked the Wii, the Wii U has better hardware and a tablet controller. She sees Wii Fit U, along with Nintendo land and if this tickles her fancy, then she'll go out and get it.

Think of this in the way of the iphone. Say Sarah has an Iphone 4 and she is completely happy with it. Then she sees the 4S. It does, what 4 can, plus things that it can't. This convinces her to buy it, even though she was perfectly happy with her IP4.

But, if i can be completely truthful here, I don't see anyone who bought the Wii for those games coming back to the WiiU. That crowd was always more of a temporary thing. The just saw something that was simple but fun, had their fun, then left it. They were never a type of customer that was going to stay.

Dude. He said he had three sources. All three of which contradict each other.

I choose to wait until these things are resolved between the people who are qualified to. Im not into calling people "liars" or doubting people from the get go. Id rather let people who are members who have something to risk in revealing rumors like this have some benefit of the doubt. I have seen things that looked like total lies be vindicated after much time and debate.

Once again, i will wait until the qualified people determine the outcome before forming an opinion of my own.

Yes. Oh GOD yes. Thank you, Thunder Monkey. I have a nice fig pie for you
meet me at Fairmont Toronto, room 212, 12:00am sharp. Wear a diaper so I know it's you.
Already got my plane ticket and rapin' glasses ready!
So do we just like, leave figs in front of your statue or something? I feel like I need to do something in return for this.

I also accept cash.

edit: And Money orders!

CASE SCENARIO:

smile%20gray%200574.jpg

The nintendo brand should be enough.

Remember waiting nearly two years for some of those games after that e3? Remember that some aren't even out yet? Remember the hype those titles created that caused the system to be over-priced? Remember how being over priced without those games at launch affected sales?

Yeah.

Remember waiting nearly two years for some of those games after e3? Remember than some aren't even out yet? Remember the hype those titles created that caused the system to be over-priced? Remember how being over priced without those games at launch effected sales?

Yeah.

At least I knew what was coming. Also, the 3DS is out for a little over one year and has got most of what was shown.
On the other hand, I have no idea what the WiiU awaits. Might be droughts, might be big studios on franchises I'm not interested in...
It's good to go full out if it's launch year. Launch buyers need confidence for what's beyond, the ,,launch window-only'' excuse is ridiculous and to me, worrisome. The Vita also had a good launch, look where it's now.

Banned
Time to change the thread subject.

http://gengame.net/2012/08/report-gamestop-stores-configuring-wii-u-preorder-estimates/

Same source as the one who said wii u promo spans preorders starting on Monday.

We’ve received an additional tip from our contacts at GameStop, the same folks who informed us that retailer Wii U displays are intended go up on Monday (though naturally many stores have installed them already). Today’s tidbit lends more to the timing of the retail promotion having something to do with Wii U pre-orders coming soon – it turns out that some stores are being asked to compile Wii U pre-order estimates.

Bear in mind that since we’re getting this information at the local store level, this news may only pertain to some regions, and thus we have no confirmation that it’s a nationwide directive. However, when one of the biggest games retailers in existence is set to start making specific preparations for Wii U pre-orders, that should be an encouraging sign for Nintendo fans.

AzaK

Thing is, he should just get out of the thread then. It's just creating too much noise for a moot point. Let those who actually care about the Wii U - as in those that may actually buy it - use the thread in peace.

Kacho

How do pre-orders work for new consoles? Do they have limited supply or will a Gamestop store be able to take as many as they can get?

I work downtown and by the time I get home it's almost 8 PM. I just worry that I'll miss out on my chance, though I'm probably just being overly paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom