• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

CASE SCENARIO:

smile%20gray%200574.jpg

Sarah bought a Wii back in 2008 to play some Wii Fit and some Wii Sports. She also saw that Just Dance was a $39.99 game, so she picked that up and had fun with that. She had so much fun that she also picked up two sequels with new songs in them. She also might have picked up New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii to play with her kids and with some friends at a party, but she doesn't really play by herself much. Recently, she picked up the new retina iPad, and is having a blast playing Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, and enjoys the other non-gaming apps on the iPad, such as the cooking apps and iBooks.

Why should she now buy a Wii U? For her, she already has a tablet, and Wii Fit/Wii Sports. Her kids are not old enough yet to want to buy a Wii U.

By the way, "teh Angry birdzzz is not a deeeeeeeeeeep geam" is not a compelling argument for this type of consumer. It already occupies her time.

Wii Sports was not a single player game for most people by any means and was not marketed as such. But that was the reason that people were interested.

So what makes her want one when she's got an iPad? The next big local multiplayer game to take out when she has company over. Y'know, like Wii Sports was for 3-4 years.

By the way, your case scenario contradicts itself by saying she doesn't play games by herself much but then lists a bunch of single-player iPad games. Just saying.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Or you can develop and license new, more expensive engines and develop games for systems with absolutely no install base.

I feel one thing to remember here is that this actually favors the winners in the long run.

Back in 1993 when Doom came out, we had a sea of Doom clones that played and looked like Doom, because it was a very easy game to clone.

However, there are an extremely small number of people who can clone the experience of Battlefield 3, so EA pretty safe in warding off competition just through the sheer complexity of creating a competing product.

By the same token, you will notice that, despite having debuted to 9+ million sales in 2007, almost no one has cloned Assassin's Creed, since it's just so expensive to do.

Gears of War on the other hand, a much more simple game to clone, has inspired droves of third person cover shooters. Gears of War was also a relatively cheap game to make compared to the other mentioned titles.

That said, people who can't compete with that have already started fleeing to the cheapest platforms with the highest install bases like medium to low end PCs and mobile devices.

Of course, on those platforms you have the reverse issue. EA made an incredibly successful game called The Sims Social on Facebook, but Zynga did a nigh 100% clone of it with a game called The Ville and is now doing significantly better than The Sims Social does.

Meelow

Banned
LIES! Pikmin 3 is launch window! It won't come out for another 15 minutes!

Yeah but I pre-orderd the amazing edition which comes out earlier.

What was the price of each?

It was $60

Is it next-gen?

It's 9th gen, it's that amazing.

But guess what their is a game that nobody knows about yet that has not been announced yet which I have...the graphics are just as good as Avatar, yeah that amazing.

Did you say "wow"?

I said WOW!!!!!!!!!! I feel like a purple Pikmin.

I had to say it lol.

Meelow

Banned
Oh Pachter, nobody cares about your opinion.

I don't think Nintendo fans are so stupid they would buy a piece of cardboard. A box on the other hand, that says Nintendo on it, they probably would. Remember when you were a kid and you get gifts, and when you're really little you like the box better than the gift? That's how I think of Nintendo fanboys. - Michael Pachter

Apparently Nintendo fans buy anything that says Nintendo on it, did Nintendo do something to him when he was a kid or something? lol.

jerd

Oh Pachter, nobody cares about you opinion.

Apparently Nintendo fans buy anything that says Nintendo on it, did Nintendo do something to him when he was a kid or something? lol.

Does gaf have an ignore button for pachter? Biggest troll of them all.

GameE

Why give this idiot more attention? I dont get the fascination with posting everything he says on gaf

Kacho

I'm not even going to lie. Nintendo is known for putting out quality products and I buy almost everything they put out. He's not wrong here when talking about some people.

Meelow

Banned
Does gaf have an ignore button for pachter? Biggest troll of them all.

Geoff, Pachter and some other analyst talking about the Wii U is the worst thing because you know they will attack Nintendo any chance they get, why should they have an opinion? and why doesn't anyone ever defend Nintendo when their with him?.

I remember right before E3 Pachter said the 3DS isn't selling while Vita is selling so you know Pachter has a thing against Nintendo.

jerd

I'm not even going to lie. Nintendo is known for putting out quality products and I buy almost everything they put out. He's not wrong here when talking about some people.

I think that's the issue here. Nintendo doesn't generally release bad hardware. Therefore Pachters claims have no basis.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

No, he's wrong. Nobody would run out and buy a box with the name Nintendo on it. It's a stupid comment. He's basically taken Nintendo fans and projected them with the collective intelligence of a baboon.

Wii Sports was not a single player game for most people by any means and was not marketed as such. But that was the reason that people were interested.

So what makes her want one when she's got an iPad? The next big local multiplayer game to take out when she has company over. Y'know, like Wii Sports was for 3-4 years.

By the way, your case scenario contradicts itself by saying she doesn't play games by herself much but then lists a bunch of single-player iPad games. Just saying.

I said "doesn't really play much". People who play those iPad games don't play for much either - arguably less than 5 minutes a pop.

jerd

Just realized that on that supposed leaked price list, with the games at 49.99, ME3 isn't one of them... Leviathan better be included in that $60 package

Kacho

No, he's wrong. Nobody would run out and buy a box with the name Nintendo on it. It's a stupid comment. He's basically taken Nintendo fans and projected them with the collective intelligence of a baboon.

No, not literally. He's implying that Nintendo has loyal fans and the Nintendo name alone is enough to move product. At least, that's how I took it.

jmizzal

How do pre-orders work for new consoles? Do they have limited supply or will a Gamestop store be able to take as many as they can get?

I work downtown and by the time I get home it's almost 8 PM. I just worry that I'll miss out on my chance, though I'm probably just being overly paranoid.

I doubt preorders will start before Nintendo announce price and date, atleast I wouldnt think they would.

jerd

No, not literally. He's implying that Nintendo has loyal fans and the Nintendo name alone is enough to move product. At least, that's how I took it.

Pachter is that you!? Just kidding. The fact that he implied that we are "so stupid" that we would buy a nintendo box leads me to think this isn't what he's saying

quadium32

Neo Member
For instance Nintendo made this Vacuum in the 70's but would I buy it because it is made by Nintendo?, nope.

chiritorie_nintendo.jpg
Is it sad that the collector in me would actually want to buy this? >.<

But yeah, I don't buy everything Nintendo makes. I got the original DS, passed on DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL, and I'll be passing on the 3DS XL as well.

Kacho

Pachter is that you!? Just kidding. The fact that he implied that we are "so stupid" that we would buy a nintendo box leads me to think this isn't what he's saying

I guess. I think people on the internet take Pachter's comments way too seriously.

deviljho

Oh Pachter, nobody cares about your opinion.

Wait, what colors does the cardboard box come in?

Banned
For instance Nintendo made this Vacuum in the 70's but would I buy it because it is made by Nintendo?, nope.

chiritorie_nintendo.jpg

I just ordered 3 of those vacuums. But that doesn't mean I buy anything with Nintendo on it *hides virtual boy in closet*

Seriously though, I buy Nintendo because all of their hardware lasts, is good quality, and fairly priced. Never has a Nintendo console crapped out on me, while my first Microsoft console took a shit with the RROD after owning it for 3 years. I still have my SNES working like a charm. Same with my PS1 and PS2.

Combine Nintendo's hardware quality with the expected software quality, and you get a day 1 purchase for me. I knew when I bought the Wii day one, it had Twilight Princess and Wii Sports, but I also knew that Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, SSBB, and Mario Kart Wii were coming. When I bought my 3DS, I knew Ocarina of Time 3D, SM3DL, MK7, and Kid Icarus were coming. And I can expect the same for the Wii U.

So Michael Pachter can go fuck a parrot for all I care.

He may have meant that Nintendo fans are so adamant about new Nintendo hardware that they will buy whatever they release. If that was what he meant that is.....

Eh, I am sure there are some who would buy it just for the 'collectible'. But the same goes with other fanboys. I mean i wouldnt be surprised if someone like snesfreak would but there are fanboys at his level for Microsoft, Sony, Apple, etc.

Banned
No, that pussysmacker will not defile my beloved Squawk.

Destructoid has my respect. They are straight up. They praise and bash all three gaming companies and even joke about Nintendo being doomed. So I respect positive and negative articles from them, and I'm glad one author is defending the Wii U.

http://www.destructoid.com/psa-the-wii-u-gamepad-is-not-a-tablet-controller-232934.phtml

Ever since the existence of the Wii U was leaked just prior to E3 2011, game developers, publishers, those in the gaming press, just about everyone but Nintendo have called the console's new controller "a tablet." Every time someone does this, they drag their collective fingernails across the chalkboard of my soul.

Anyone who has used the Wii U GamePad should be able to tell you that it's not a tablet device. A tablet features multi-touch screen controls, and does not rely on multiple buttons and control sticks/pads. The Wii U GamePad does not feature a multi-touch screen controls, and it does have dedicated buttons and control sticks (and one control pad).

If you are going to call the Wii U GamePad a "tablet," then you're going to have to call the 3DS, the PS Vita, ATM machines, The Real Touch anus simulator, and everything else on the planet with touch controls a "tablet" as well. Personally, I'd prefer for us to use the word for devices that are actually are tablets, and not mindlessly tack it on to every new touch-controlled device that hits the market just so we can sound trendy. It's cool when words mean something, isn't it?

That's not for me to decide though. In the long run, tech and gaming culture will determine what the word "tablet" means as it relates to interfacing with technology. Depend on how th efuture unfolds, this post may look really dumb in a few years, when everyone calls any old fashioned touch controlled device a "tablet" while the world has moved on to telekinetically controlled cars and jetpacks internet brain implant chips in our hamburgers.

In the meantime, I'll tell those of you who haven't played the Wii U that you should not expect it to deliver an tablet-style gaming experience. The Wii U GamePad is essentially the bottom half of a 3DS XL, but with two analog sticks, some NFC functionality, and a slightly larger screen. It's not that different than using a standard dual analog stick controller. There just happens to be a big touch screen in the middle of the thing which you may or may not end up using. It feels nothing like an iPad or other tablet devices.

I've played a good amount of Wii U games (Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City: Armored Edition, Project P-100, Panorama View, Pikmin 3, Game and Wario, Trine 2, and many more). Most of them did not require you to use the touch screen, and those that did went about it in a way that was almost exactly like something you'd find in a 3DS game. Take Takamuru's Castle for example. The game is all about flinging throwing stars off the GamePad screen and onto the TV screen. You couldn do that with a 3DS. The only difference is, it wouldn't be as fun to throw a star from one screen to another screen that's less than two inches away. Regardless, it's nothing like playing a game on the iPad. It was more like playing a PS Move/Wii Remote pointer controlled game, except the pointer control also had a touch screen.

In closing, anyone who has led you to think that the Wii U GamePad is anything like an iPad is being a jerk and you should tell them so.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I ain't trying to 'start something' I just found this really fascinating in Gunpei Yokoi's biography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi

Check the section on his philosophy of 'withered' or 'seasoned' technology. Strikes me that a popular narrative that's been going around is that Nintendo has only now, entirely changed the way they operate and stopped competing with the tech of others. But it's not true; they've followed a different philosophy since word one.

Which is true; the Gameboy was technologically inferior in many areas to other portables to enable playability - long battery life. People may not realize it due to hazy childhood memories, but the SNES, N64, and Gamecube, were all inferior in some way to the competitors, all cut corners. Optical drive in the case of the N64, obviously. But the SNES had an inferior CPU compared to the Genesis for many purposes. Gamecube was more limited than people make it out to be, did not have a lot of the technology in the PS2. Then obviously there is the DS.

The thing is, there is a lot of sense to that philosophy, particularly if your goal is to hit a mass market, rather than enthusiast market. I suppose the blind spot of the gaming community is that the most vocal gamers tend to be like a car fan who demand every automobile in the world be a Ferarri, as anything less would be an 'insult to auto lovers'.

Banned
I ain't trying to 'start something' I just found this really fascinating in Gunpei Yokoi's biography:

Check the section on his philosophy of 'withered' or 'seasoned' technology. Strikes me that a popular narrative that's been going around is that Nintendo has only now, entirely changed the way they operate and stopped competing with the tech of others. But it's not true; they've followed a different philosophy since word one.

Which is true; the Gameboy was technologically inferior in many areas to other portables to enable playability - long battery life. People may not realize it due to hazy childhood memories, but the SNES, N64, and Gamecube, were all inferior in some way to the competitors, all cut corners. Optical drive in the case of the N64, obviously. But the SNES had an inferior CPU compared to the Genesis for many purposes. Gamecube was more limited than people make it out to be, did not have a lot of the technology in the PS2. Then obviously there is the DS.

The thing is, there is a lot of sense to that philosophy, particularly if your goal is to hit a mass market, rather than enthusiast market. I suppose the blind spot of the gaming community is that the most vocal gamers tend to be like a car fan who demand every automobile in the world be a Ferarri, as anything less would be an 'insult to auto lovers'.
I enjoyed reading about him awhile ago. His philipsophy was smart. The Genesis had "BLAST PROCESSING!" but Nintendo's method of using older techonology in different ways lead to a cheaper console that let it become mass market and due to it's mass market, it got killer software, many of which was exclusive (mainly Square's games).

Terrell

I enjoyed reading about him awhile ago. His philipsophy was smart. The Genesis had "BLAST PROCESSING!" but Nintendo's method of using older techonology in different ways lead to a cheaper console that let it become mass market and due to it's mass market, it got killer software, many of which was exclusive (mainly Square's games).

The SNES, like most Nintendo consoles, was optimized to give the best features that the majority of people cared about at the expense of things most people didn't or were indifferent to. At the time of the SNES, people wanted a larger color palette and better sound, everything else was cursory, including a stronger CPU which the majority of people couldn't perceive the benefits of. On that, Nintendo delivered. It was the N64 and GameCube where, (in my opinion) despite being AMAZING, they had foregone things most people cared about, and suffered immensely for it.

JordanN

Banned

The SNES cpu is pretty hazy. In actuality, the architecture it's based on is 2x better than the motorola in Genesis.
N64's carts didn't effect its technical ability and Gamecube was superior to PS2 in all ways.
The gameboy and DS are more coincidences. Remember, they launched before their competitors came out.

Also, I wouldn't say the N64 carts had anything to do with that philosophy as Nintendo wanted CD technology before (see SNES add-on). It was a fear of piracy/wanting fast load times that drove them to those formats.

Meelow

Banned
The SNES cpu is pretty hazy. In actuality, the architecture it's based on is 2x better than the motorola in Genesis.
N64's carts didn't effect its technical ability and Gamecube was superior to PS2 in all ways.
The gameboy and DS are more coincidences. Remember, they launched before their competitors came out.

Also, I wouldn't say the N64 carts had anything to do with that philosophy as Nintendo wanted CD technology before (see SNES add-on). It was a fear of piracy/wanting fast load times that drove them to those formats.

Wasn't it also because of the low sales of the Sega CD that Nintendo thought the world wasn't ready for CD gaming?.

RagnarokX

Wasn't it also because of the low sales of the Sega CD that Nintendo thought the world wasn't ready for CD gaming?.

I think it partly had to do with Nintendo being mad at Sony for wanting all profits from CD-based games on SNES Play Station and spurning CD technology.

Plus cartridges do have some advantages over discs, which is why handhelds still use them. It's just the technology was too expensive at the time to beat CDs.

Meelow

Banned
First I've heard of it so I can't confirm.

Thought I heard it somewhere.

I think it partly had to do with Nintendo being mad at Sony for wanting all profits from CD-based games on SNES Play Station and spurning CD technology.

Plus cartridges do have some advantages over discs, which is why handhelds still use them. It's just the technology was too expensive at the time to beat CDs.

There's that too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1q9JKmuVUI

RagnarokX

That was an good watch. I liked the history lesson lol

They missed the main reason why Nintendo dropped Sony's Play Station: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console)#Development

"The product, dubbed the "Play Station" was to be announced at the May 1991 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). However, when Nintendo's Hiroshi Yamauchi read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo, he realized that the earlier agreement essentially handed Sony complete control over any and all titles written on the SNES CD-ROM format."

No doubt it was assholish to let Sony know the way they did, but nobody in their right mind would have gone ahead with that contract.

It was a bunch of them trying to out screw the other.

AniHawk

They missed the main reason why Nintendo dropped Sony's Play Station: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console)#Development

"The product, dubbed the "Play Station" was to be announced at the May 1991 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). However, when Nintendo's Hiroshi Yamauchi read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo, he realized that the earlier agreement essentially handed Sony complete control over any and all titles written on the SNES CD-ROM format."

No doubt it was assholish to let Sony know the way they did, but nobody in their right mind would have gone ahead with that contract.

It was a bunch of them trying to out screw the other.

this was the original reason. afterwards, they redid the contract much more in nintendo's favor, and they dropped sony again, this time in favor of phillips. they dropped phillips too, but not before phillips got some nintendo franchise games out on their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom