• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, he should just get out of the thread then. It's just creating too much noise for a moot point. Let those who actually care about the Wii U - as in those that may actually buy it - use the thread in peace.
Oh stop. Just ignore him. My god, what are you, 10? Damn, so many of you are piling on this guy. Until a mod says otherwise, anyone is able to come here and post no matter hos or her opinion. Fuck.

At least I knew what was coming. Also, the 3DS is out for a little over one year and has got most of what was shown.
On the other hand, I have no idea what the WiiU awaits. Might be droughts, might be big studios on franchises I'm not interested in...
It's good to go full out if it's launch year. Launch buyers need confidence for what's beyond, the ,,launch window-only'' excuse is ridiculous and to me, worrisome. The Vita also had a good launch, look where it's now.

I understand your argument from a consumer, hobby-gamer stand point. The mass-market didn't care, though, as most people don't buy systems long before games they want are due out. Nintendo may show more games when they announce price and launch (it'd also be easier to maintain "hype" from then until the hypothetical launch in November and possibly lead to more sales, rather than trying to maintain it from June until November).

For better or worse, this is their new strategy, and with the unexpected success of Nintendo Directs (seriously, 200,000~ people watching with 24 hours notice is darn good) and the fact that every they show on Nintendo Directs gets posted on all the major gaming news sites anyway (meaning they often dominate weekend coverage following an ND) they now have less need to rely on announcing games at conferences like e3, although presumably they will still use them to announce top tier games like 3D Mario.

nordique

Interesting, 10k. If true, might that potentially bode for an earlier (than November) release?

Perhaps.

Consider, Wii launched November 19, 2006 in North America (I think it was the 19th...please correct me if I am wrong)

And preorders for Wii started October 13, 2006. (as per neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123690)

Personally, I am expecting a mid-late November launch for Wii U. But who knows.

Awesome! Did you know that I am a Nigerian prince? If not now you do. I need your email address.

LOL

Thing is, he should just get out of the thread then. It's just creating too much noise for a moot point.

Let those who actually care about the Wii U - as in those that may actually buy it - use the thread in peace.
I have no problem with someone having a combative opinion to mine. Even if it's occasionally on the simplistic side.

I mean with WiiU you can be both right and wrong at the same time! It will be the most powerful console on the market, while simultaneously being weak hardware compared to the capability of even moderate to low end PC hardware.

I can accept that and I've bought every Nintendo system so far excluding the 3DS, and some variations of their prior handheld hardware.

tkscz

This is not the norm. Although if you double that age, it's true nowadays.

When I was in elementary school, at 6 years old, everyone in the class had either a Genesis, or a SNES. So, of her kids played the Wii with her, then they are old enough to ask for a WiiU. Plan and simple.

When I was in elementary school, at 6 years old, everyone in the class had either a Genesis, or a SNES. So, of her kids played the Wii with her, then they are old enough to ask for a WiiU. Plan and simple.

I was talking about cellphones in the post you quoted. I completely forgot six year olds play games too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly, I never understood the obsession with third party support on Nintendo consoles, which as far as I can tell is what the vast majority of the hardware debate revolves around.

I'm assuming most of the people in this thread have been playing on Nintendo platforms since at least the GameCube era, if not the N64 era. For anyone who has, they have been through at least two, if not three generations of Nintendo not having third party support, yet are still interested enough to spend tons of hours debating Nintendo's next console and eagerly anticipating picking it up.

It's been 6 years since the Wii came out and 11 years since the GameCube released. Surely most of you must be at least nearing the age where you're entering the work force. Now, if you're in absolutely dire financial straights (at which point buying the Wii U might be kind of questionable) or still in your teens, I can appreciate the monetary issues in picking up multiple boxes to play a majority of the games you want, but still I feel this can't seriously apply to even the majority of people who seem upset about the potential for a fair amount of third party games not showing up on the system.

I feel it takes all of 30 seconds looking at the Wii's line-up to tell that the Wii U's hardware power will be more than good enough for Nintendo to make great games. Let's say the worst case scenario happens and there's barely any third party support for the system. Is it really the end of the world to go pick up a second box 2-3 years after the Wii U comes out? The other systems will probably have some pretty good deals going by then and a bunch of cheap/great third party games that can be bought for $10 used.

I mean, for every generation so far, I've had to save up money for quite a while when I wanted to get a new platform, but by shopping around and being careful, it really wasn't that much of a burden, and I definitely didn't come from a background of great or even moderate means. That's finally changed now, but I just have trouble seeing how this issue alone could be the lynchpin for all of this.

Now, if the controller is the sticking point for some people, I can appreciate that, but let's be honest, so far with every unique console controller since the multiplatform trend started, almost every multiplatform developer really, really doesn't care to do a good job. Almost every stand out example I can think of is either a first party game, or a third party exclusive, and thus the ability to run every game the other systems has really isn't important for that either.

Is there something else I'm missing that makes it critical that Nintendo have almost every third party game, and thus the hardware needed to run them? This is a serious, honest question, because I'm really having trouble fully understanding the issue.

Honestly, I never understood the obsession with third party support on Nintendo consoles, which as far as I can tell is what the vast majority of the hardware debate revolves around.

I'm assuming most of the people in this thread have been playing on Nintendo platforms since at least the GameCube era, if not the N64 era. For anyone who has, they have been through at least two, if not three generations of Nintendo not having third party support, yet are still interested enough to spend tons of hours debating Nintendo's next console and eagerly anticipating picking it up.

It's been 6 years since the GameCube came out and 11 years since the N64 released. Surely most of you must be at least nearing the age where you're entering the work force. Now, if you're in absolutely dire financial straights (at which point buying the Wii U might be kind of questionable) or still in your teens, I can appreciate the monetary issues in picking up multiple boxes to play a majority of the games you want, but still I feel this can't seriously apply to even the majority of people who seem upset about the potential for a fair amount of third party games not showing up on the system.

I feel it takes all of 30 seconds looking at the Wii's line-up to tell that the Wii U's hardware power will be more than good enough for Nintendo to make great games. Let's say the worst case scenario happens and there's barely any third party support for the system. Is it really the end of the world to go pick up a second box 2-3 years after the Wii U comes out? The other systems will probably have some pretty good deals going by then and a bunch of cheap/great third party games that can be bought for $10 used.

I mean, for every generation so far, I've had to save up money for quite a while when I wanted to get a new platform, but by shopping around and being careful, it really wasn't that much of a burden, and I definitely didn't come from a background of great or even moderate means. That's finally changed now, but I just have trouble seeing how this issue alone could be the lynchpin for all of this.

Now, if the controller is the sticking point for some people, I can appreciate that, but let's be honest, so far with every unique console controller since the multiplatform trend started, almost every multiplatform developer really, really doesn't care to do a good job. Almost every stand out example I can think of is either a first party game, or a third party exclusive, and thus the ability to run every game the other systems has really isn't important for that either.

Is there something else I'm missing that makes it critical that Nintendo have almost every third party game, and thus the hardware needed to run them? This is a serious, honest question, because I'm really having trouble fully understanding the issue.
Well for me, if the Wii U have multiplat titles, I don't need to go out and buy a PS4/XBOX 8 to play them.

tkscz

I was talking about cellphones in the post you quoted. I completely forgot six year olds play games too.

I know, I never understood the point of giving a child a super expensive cellphone. On the other hand, gaming can start for children at about 2 years old. Case-in-point, my god daughter started playing NES at 2, got good at 3 and started playing perfect dark at 3 1/2. She isn't perfect of course but has the hang of it enough. Gaming is something that can start extremely early.

nordique

It's been 6 years since the GameCube came out and 11 years since the N64 released. Surely most of you must be at least nearing the age where you're entering the work force. Now, if you're in absolutely dire financial straights (at which point buying the Wii U might be kind of questionable) or still in your teens, I can appreciate the monetary issues in picking up multiple boxes to play a majority of the games you want, but still I feel this can't seriously apply to even the majority of people who seem upset about the potential for a fair amount of third party games not showing up on the system.

Although I agree very much with this post (good post btw), it is still very subjective

Consider two things:

1) not everyone will, necessarily, be in those financial shoes (even if it is a minority of individuals it still compromises a group of peoples with opinions)

and

2) some people perhaps a larger portion are either Nintendo only gamers or only, by choice/desire/whatever own only Nintendo consoles. There is nothing wrong with that, as that is what they are happy gaming on. I have friends who could qualify as these gamers, still only owning Wii's to this day. They sometimes suggest their potential $300 Xbox 360 investment could be saved towards a Wii U, or X amount of Wii/3DS games. To them, that makes more sense.

To expand on #2, there is nothing wrong with them "hoping" other 3rd party games come out for their system of choice, or further, wish it.

I personally am content with owning multiple consoles if I desire so, and do not have any "loyalty" to what I perceive as plastic welded together and sold by company XYZ... but for other people the idea of a single console where they can get a complete or whole gaming fix (a la the SNES days) is seemingly euphoric

golcarfel

Neo Member
Time to change the thread subject.

http://gengame.net/2012/08/report-gamestop-stores-configuring-wii-u-preorder-estimates/

Same source as the one who said wii u promo spans preorders starting on Monday.

Consider, Wii launched November 19, 2006 in North America (I think it was the 19th...please correct me if I am wrong)

And preorders for Wii started October 13, 2006. (as per neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123690)
Going based of the Wii pre-order and release info, an October Wii U release date seems possible given that Gamestop begins Wii U pre-orders soon. I'm really hoping it's released in October.

Banned

16 years since N64 launched and 11 years since GameCube launched :p

But you're right. I bought a ps3 just last summer (August actually) and am enjoying its terrific back catalogue of games. I got a Terrific deal for my 360 back in '07 and got $200 off so I jumped on it. I know this gen I will start with the Wii U and eventually get a PS4 down the line. The thir party support doesn't bother me too much because i got a PC. But, not all third party games make it to PC. Where do I get my MSG, mortal kombat, final fantasy fix? A proper port of dark souls?

I understand your argument from a consumer, hobby-gamer stand point. The mass-market didn't care, though, as most people don't buy systems long before games they want are due out. Nintendo may show more games when they announce price and launch (it'd also be easier to maintain "hype" from then until the hypothetical launch in November and possibly lead to more sales, rather than trying to maintain it from June until November).

For better or worse, this is their new strategy, and with the unexpected success of Nintendo Directs (seriously, 200,000~ people watching with 24 hours notice is darn good) and the fact that every they show on Nintendo Directs gets posted on all the major gaming news sites anyway (meaning they often dominate weekend coverage following an ND) they now have less need to rely on announcing games at conferences like e3, although presumably they will still use them to announce top tier games like 3D Mario.

We'll see, I still have a hard time believing this. It would be a drastic change, since just last year they had no regret announcing a not even in development Smash and ,,only'' the XL was the biggest Direct exclusive yet, while software-wise it has been mostly localization confirmations. I am curious about the event they might hold for price and Japanese 3rds, but even for this Iwata didn't exactly promise too much in his investor Q&A.

Well... I can see where a few of them come from. Some of them just want to buy one console. If they could get everything on one they would do it. More than a few seem to think if Nintendo had unbridled access to all 3rd party developers titles they'd be the default victor.

There might be some truth to that, but that is denying the truly impressive showings from MS and Sony two gens for MS and three for Sony.

Neither hardware manufacturer has had a particularly "bad" generation yet. MS in their first foray outsold Nintendo marginally. Their next increasing marketshare 3x. Sony in all three have (or soon will) outsold Nintendo's prior highest selling console. Two of Sony's generations having the highest single home console marketshare's out of any generation.

Being bluntly honest it's greed. They want it all. Even if it doesn't make sense for a company to do so, they want it.

Banned
I know, I never understood the point of giving a child a super expensive cellphone. On the other hand, gaming can start for children at about 2 years old. Case-in-point, my god daughter started playing NES at 2, got good at 3 and started playing perfect dark at 3 1/2. She isn't perfect of course but has the hang of it enough. Gaming is something that can start extremely early.
My god mother loves to tell the story about how I was 2 years old and best her at duck hunt and was good at super Mario bros. on the NES. 1990 baby. (got my NES late)

Interesting, 10k. If true, might that potentially bode for an earlier (than November) release?

Perhaps.

Personally, I am expecting a mid-late November launch for Wii U. But who knows.

LOL

If you're using this, then it gives credence to the possibility that Wii U will launch this September.

EDIT: Also, as of September 14, 2006, Nintendo had released information surrounding the Wii launch, so other retailers (BestBuy, etc.) may have done preorders as of that date.

Well for me, if the Wii U have multiplat titles, I don't need to go out and buy a PS4/XBOX 8 to play them.

If you wanted multiplats for the past 16 years, you had to have a gaming PC or another console. That's his point. It's been this way for a while. It's one thing to hope the situation will change, but most likely it won't, so there is no point pining over the glory days (snes era)

Drago

So, I assume preorders aren't starting tomorrow? any insight to this?

My GS opens at 10 so I'd go there around 9-9:30 and wait, but if it's not tomorrow... I need to know for sure! :(

Anyways, as far as console discussion goes, I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and the odd exclusive, and I'll buy a PS4 for Sony games and 3rd party stuff. I may build a PC as well, but not until late 2013-early 2014. Microsoft consoles don't interest me too much gamewise, and I only got a 360 for Rare titles and a few XBLA games, so I doubt I'll be picking up the next one unless something extreme happens or there is a killer app for me and I NEED one or something

Banned
Well... I can see where a few of them come from. Some of them just want to buy one console. If they could get everything on one they would do it. More than a few seem to think if Nintendo had unbridled access to all 3rd party developers titles they'd be the default victor.

There might be some truth to that, but that is denying the truly impressive showings from MS and Sony two gens for MS and three for Sony.

Neither hardware manufacturer has had a particularly "bad" generation yet. MS in their first foray outsold Nintendo marginally. Their next increasing marketshare 3x. Sony in all three have (or soon will) outsold Nintendo's prior highest selling console. Two of Sony's generations having the highest single home console marketshare's out of any generation.

Being bluntly honest it's greed. They want it all. Even if it doesn't make sense for a company to do so, they want it.
I think most of the gamers who want just one console are the ones with less disposable income, are cheap, or are nostalgic from the SNES days where they had the best graphics and all games came to the system.

nordique

Going based of the Wii pre-order and release info, an October Wii U release date seems possible given that Gamestop begins Wii U pre-orders soon. I'm really hoping it's released in October.

Yes, although I personally do not think an October launch will happen, the early preorders could very well be an indicator of Wii U coming out sooner, rather than later, solely if Wii preorder dates are any indication of Nintendo's retail partnership plans

That said, it may still very well just be preorders coming earlier, and that's all there is to it.

But we might get surprised. Nintendo is one company that I would not be overly surprised to do something drastic like that. Iwata has proven, with the 3DS price cut and subsequent flood of quality software (especially in Japan) that he will take drastic measures if it means a net positive for the company in the long term

He has also indicated he values a large user base for the Wii U. Something on the aggressive side like early preorders for a potential earlier than anticipated release date, might stir excitement.

I do not doubt that Iwata understand what his largest 3rd party titles are for launch, and what implications may follow if they are all over a month late to join the other HD systems' launch.

I know I might be tempted to choose AC3 over the 360 version if I am that interested in playing it when it comes out; subsequently should the titles hit day-and-day I would consider a Wii U version and purchasing a Wii U as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for the answers so far, but I wanted to follow up on one point:

but for other people the idea of a single console where they can get a complete or whole gaming fix (a la the SNES days) is seemingly euphoric
If you wanted multiplats for the past 16 years, you had to have a gaming PC or another console. That's his point. It's been this way for a while. It's one thing to hope the situation will change, but most likely it won't, so there is no point pining over the glory days (snes era)
or are nostalgic from the SNES days where they had the best graphics and all games came to the system
But I mean, I feel the people least likely to support the Wii U are actually the developers who weren't present on the SNES, i.e., the Western PC developers who transitioned to consoles this generation. So even back then, there still wasn't a one platform fits all solution to gaming.

16 years since N64 launched and 11 years since GameCube launched :p
Sorry, I meant Wii and GameCube. >_<

jacksrb

CASE SCENARIO:
Sarah bought a Wii back in 2008 to play some Wii Fit and some Wii Sports. She also saw that Just Dance was a $39.99 game, so she picked that up and had fun with that. She had so much fun that she also picked up two sequels with new songs in them. She also might have picked up New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii to play with her kids and with some friends at a party, but she doesn't really play by herself much. Recently, she picked up the new retina iPad, and is having a blast playing Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, and enjoys the other non-gaming apps on the iPad, such as the cooking apps and iBooks.

Why should she now buy a Wii U? For her, she already has a tablet, and Wii Fit/Wii Sports. Her kids are not old enough yet to want to buy a Wii U.

By the way, "teh Angry birdzzz is not a deeeeeeeeeeep geam" is not a compelling argument for this type of consumer. It already occupies her time.

I think Nintendo would say that either she or her kids will play some Nintendo Land at a friends house and want the system (and/or some other great software). As your scenario backs up, these consumers aren't the ones going to midnight launches. Sarah probably has no idea about Wii U.

AzaK

<snip>

Personally? I simply want one box next generation due to both keeping my lounge area lean and wanting to spend my cash elsewhere. I don't need a beast machine, just good enough to get downports. So far I'm about 60% confident this will happen and am really waiting until the September summit.

If Nintendo had shown zero interest in getting western third parties, my mind would likely be made up already, but they have, so I'm holding out hope.

nordique

If you're using this, then it gives credence to the possibility that Wii U will launch this September.

EDIT: Also, as of September 14, 2006, Nintendo had released information surrounding the Wii launch, so other retailers (BestBuy, etc.) may have done preorders as of that date.

I am giving credence to the potential differences in preorder time on a relative scale, not exact (~ 1 month different)

September doesn't seem likely to me, simply because I have some understanding of how the manufacturing -> warehouse and retail line works and with the 3DS XL just coming out in North America, mid August, it would be too much to manufacture and transport Wii U systems a month - a little over a month later, not to mention Nintendo has not outlined any plans yet.

By the time October Wii preorders had started, Nintendo had outlined their general launch plans & price in September I believe.

2 months later, could be possible...say mid-late October

Though I still feel mid-Novemeber could be just as (if not more) likely. My opinion on that though. I have not followed where Wii U could be on the manufacturing level, though I would bet they are likely well underway with manufacturing right now.

jerd

Personally? I simply want one box next generation due to both keeping my lounge area lean and wanting to spend my cash elsewhere. I don't need a beast machine, just good enough to get downports. So far I'm about 60% confident this will happen and am really waiting until the September summit.

If Nintendo had shown zero interest in getting western third parties, my mind would likely be made up already, but they have, so I'm holding out hope.

This is why I'm buying AC3 on Wii U, and why I haven't bought Arkham City or ME3 on my other consoles. Even though I know I won't really make much of a difference by myself, if I can pad those 3rd party numbers a little bit maybe we will get some better support. I'll still have two consoles next gen most likely, but I would love to have the option. Especially if a multiplat game has great gamepad functionality. A boy can dream.

We'll see, I still have a hard time believing this. It would be a drastic change, since just last year they had no regret announcing a not even in development Smash and ,,only'' the XL was the biggest Direct exclusive yet, while software-wise it has been mostly localization confirmations. I am curious about the event they might hold for price and Japanese 3rds, but even for this Iwata didn't exactly promise too much in his investor Q&A.

Since e3 every single 1st party game that has been announced has been or will be released (presumably) within 6-10 months (in Japan) . That's Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis, NSMB2, Brain Training, Pokemon BW2, Kirby Collection and the entire Wii U line up. Note that beyond this holiday we have no clue as to 3DS's line up in Japan on a first party basis, either.

Apart from the XL there's been world first footage of Zombi U and NSMBU in their 'final' iterations, Brain Training, Project X Zone tease, Kiki Trick (lol), NSMB2 announcement, and so on (I'm going by Japan here). The XL may have been a test for how much traction a "larger" announcement can get using the format.

I understand the caution, but bear in mind that a lack of evidence is not evidence of lacking.

nordique

Thanks for the answers so far, but I wanted to follow up on one point:

But I mean, I feel the people least likely to support the Wii U are actually the developers who weren't present on the SNES, i.e., the Western PC developers who transitioned to consoles this generation. So even back then, there still wasn't a one platform fits all solution to gaming.

Fair enough, Nirolak. That is a very good point.

That said, could you agree with the SNES the general environment was one of "Nintendo games plus biggest & best third party titles" (your observation re: third parties and by extension third party dynamics is much more microscopic, however accurate)?

That is really the sentiment I get from people who are Nintendo only gamers, or even desire to only own one console. It tends to center around "why can't I get the best of both worlds?"

It doesn't change the realities about what you've been talking about, and many gamers are in those shoes, but the sentiment which you originally questioned is legitimate in my mind. It could theoretically be possible to have an environment like that.

All one needs to do is imagine if the Gamecube sold 3 times as much as it did, or if the Wii was powerful enough to accept current gen HD ports to see where the sentiments originate from

JordanN

Banned
Simply put multiplats on Wii U so there can be more variety. I don't see why Sony and MS should have a monopoly on it. For the past, maybe it made sense because of Nintendo's wrong doings but now they have a console that's more competent than ever so why not?

More people will be exposed to a game which in turn may spark more interest in the console itself.

It also ensures the Wii U and its successors doesn't get treated like second fiddle. Like, Tecmo isn't even putting Doa5 on Wii U yet because they're waiting for the approval of PS3/360 owners. Like wtf?

Simply put multiplats on Wii U so there can be more variety. I don't see why Sony and MS should have a monopoly on it. For the past, maybe it made sense because of Nintendo's wrong doings but now they have a console that's more competent than ever so why not?

More people will be exposed to a game which in turn may spark more interest in the console itself.

It also ensures the Wii U and its successors doesn't get treated like second fiddle. Like, Tecmo isn't even putting Doa5 on Wii U yet because they're waiting for the approval of PS3/360 owners. Like wtf?

Why should third parties put a game on a system they are not confident owners pf said system will buy?

Anth0ny

Me neither. Nintendo consoles have always been first party boxes to me, with few exceptions (THPS, RE). I could not care less about third party support at this point. As a kid, the first party games on N64 and Gamecube satisfied me well enough. Now, I can easily afford all three consoles, and the third party games that come with them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why should third parties put a game on a system they are not confident owners pf said system will buy?

Yes, if 3rd parties treat a system as one that owners of said system will not buy games for, then the owners will not buy games from those companies.

AzaK

They shouldn't which is why Nintendo seems to be attempting to change that perception. Last gen they didn't think people would even buy Nintendo's console let along their games and look how that turned out.

JordanN

Banned
Also funny enough, there are games that still tank on PS3/360 but publishers continue throwing dollars at them anyway.

So it's not like the other consoles are completely heaven. Or any system for that matter.

Of course, this should mean a change in strategies in actually getting something to sell rather than saying "yes this platform buys games therefore all our games must sell".

AzaK

And if 3rd parties release said
Game on system and customers don't buy it the company loses money.

And if they don't release it and there is potentially lots of people who would, they don't make as much money.

In this economy it may be better not to try and not lose money than try and lose money. Or at least wait until there is a much bigger userbase so the chances of losing money is reduced.
Or maybe, just maybe think "Hmm, we screwed up last generation with Wii. Lets take a small punt"

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
In this economy it may be better not to try and not lose money than try and lose money. Or at least wait until there is a much bigger userbase so the chances of losing money is reduced.

Or you can develop and license new, more expensive engines and develop games for systems with absolutely no install base.

So owners of said console can buy it.

THIS

If you don't give people the chance to buy it then how would you know if they would sell? and if you're gonna put the games on the system advertise them don't let the games sit on the shelves (with no adverts) and then complain when the game doesn't sell....

Ryoku

This thread has been moving quickly today, but not for the best reasons. Oh well, looks like we'll be at the next thread before release :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom