• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameE

As already stated, Nintendo won't be there themselves so there shouldn't be any first party news (baring a Nintendo Direct).

However, third parties might be different. I think EA has a few announcements, and we might see something like an Overstrike trailer or news. I also think EA has some games launching this year that they have, at a minimum, not announced dates for.

Why do so many people think Overstrike is coming to Wii U? The way EA is supporting Wii U right now I doubt it.

And if 3rd parties release said
Game on system and customers don't buy it the company loses money.

If publishers don't release the game then they won't be able to spread the development costs across another platform. They won't have to sell as many units on that particular platform to make a profit on the game overall. A publisher releasing a game over as many platforms as possible is taking less of a risk.

And they know that the console is going to sell gangbusters too, it's a Nintendo console launching with a 2D Mario game available, and just as important in Japan it's likely to be launching with Dragon Quest X as a launch or launch window title too. Dragon Quest X for the Wii quadrupled the sales of the Wii which was pretty much dead in terms of hardware sales previously.

D-e-f-

Banned
Why do so many people think Overstrike is coming to Wii U? The way EA is supporting Wii U right now I doubt it.

It's an EA Partners game. EA basically has nothing to do with the game other than when they put it out. If Insomniac wants to or can (re: resources) do a Wii U version, they will.

But I think it jacksrb was just referring to Overstrike being revealed at Gamescom two (?) years ago at the EA press thing, not implying there's a Wii U version to be expected.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Here's another quote from Taiwanese Yuanta Investment Consulting, in Engrish (via Google Translate):

* Focus on news resolve
A key shares France Description: The original Avago Mouse switch to a single effect of pushing up the large growth of the 2013 Trading
Recommendation: The 3227 original phase in the second quarter EPS of 0.28 yuan, lower than expected, but looking in the third quarter to pay royalties) due to the long-rumored the Avago turn single (the original phase
Started shipping forecast revenue quarter by 40 to 50% interest short-term stock price rose, but still lower than our original estimates of the quarter by 6 percent, due to
Existing product lines to a significant downturn, coupled with the new machine of the game console the Wii U Distribution effect is much lower than expected, estimated in the third quarter EPS 1.92
, From a downwardly revised this year revenue from only a slight growth of 4%, the EPS 2.92, this beneficiary up to 30 times, we estimate that 2013 will benefit from
Avago turn a single effect, EPS increased to 5.7 yuan, still 16 times next year this gains established in the proposal.
Source: http://www.ezway.tw/wp-content/uplo...27491;原相預估EPS.pdf

3227 equals Pixart Imaging anyway. That company provided its Multi-Object Tracking™ engine for the Wii Remote. As earlier reported, Pixart is the exclusive provider of IC modules for Wii U. Due to the wording in the report, it's difficult to understand what is actually meant, but it seems their forecast revenues have been lowered, perhaps adding more fuel to the rumour concerning problems manufacturing the Wii U GamePad. Again though, the translation isn't good, so it could be anything.

To summarize the hardware partners we know Nintendo is working with in regards to Wii U:

CPU: IBM
GPU: AMD
RAM: Not MoSys
MEMS: InvenSense/Lingsen
Image sensors: Pixart
Wii U chassis: Coxon Group
Miscellaneous: Foxconn/Hon Hai

AppleBlade

Well, part of the problem is that most press people are so busy arguing about rape in a Tomb Raider trailer that isn't there and Hitman Absolution being about shooting Nuns because the marketing dept. put out a silly CG trailer, that they cannot find the time to actually look at what's out there about the Wii U.

I keep hearing and reading all this layman business analysis, "Oh, but it's Nintendo™" jokes and comparisons with other platforms that don't make sense.

Time and time again, I get the feeling even the press is looking for reasons to avoid the Wii U because it might mean more work to be familiar with another platform. Ignoring the Wii was made easy and many perfected it over the years save for when the usual Mario, Zelda, Metroid games came out.

Those "why does this game need a touch screen? why does it need to be on Wii U?" nonsense is what irritates me the most. I heard that during E3 in relation to Rayman Legends being exclusive. Some would prefer it if the game just came out on everything so they wouldn't have to play it on the Wii U which would require adapting to a different system. Do you EVER hear people say "why is this game on 360? why is this game on PS3? why is this game on PC? they could've done this on any other platform." No, you don't. Why? Because they already own those. "New features? Pah! Don't need those, the old game was fun without them." ...

I honestly believe it comes down to convenience or lack thereof. Aside from the graphics issue, what was the number one argument that came up with the Wii? "I don't wanna wave my arms around for hours at a time." A comment signaling ignorance on the speaker's part. What do we hear when people talk about Wii U aside from the graphics issue (again)? "I don't wanna NOT look at my TV, why do I need to keep looking at the touch screen, that thing looks weird an uncomfortable." Oh. My. God! Seriously?

It seems like many people covering games have become so jaded and old that they have lost all their imagination. When I see Wii U and games like Pikmin, Project P-100, ZombiU, Rayman Legends and even Mass Effect 3 (which I have just finished a few weeks ago on 360), I see the possibilities, what makes these games or versions stand out or better.

Being split into four characters in Pikmin 3, each having a separate goal and a few Pikmin to achieve it, forcing you to focus your attention on multiple characters and sometimes combining their efforts and the Rock Pikmin and Flying Pikmin get me damned excited! Having a map on the screen also sounds pretty damn useful. It's not exciting but its presence makes the game potentially a lot better since you don't have to pause and look at the map and scroll around. Just take a peek onto the GamePad's screen!

Kamiya's brand of crazy with tons of little superheroes running around cities and fighting huge robots by forming giant swords or ladders? Sounds pretty dope!

Having just finished ME3, I can totally see why playing it on the Wii U would make it so much better: you have direct access to MORE skills without having to pause and select one from the radial menu. In the old versions, you have D-Pad left and right for ONE of your two squadmates' powers each. Your own skills are spread across three buttons. (quick tap RB/R1, LB/L1 and Y/Triangle)--that makes five skills that are accessible to you at any point without pausing. On Wii U, you have all those buttons AND you have EIGHT slots on the touch screen, easily accessible via your thumb (= a total of TWELVE powers without pausing)! And a map so you don't have to run around to find that last enemy that keeps hiding behind a crate somewhere! Also, that turns the Wii U into a small Codex-reader if you switch to Tablet-Only view, turn off the TV you can comfortably read the Codex entries on the tablet. Reading long text on the TV is bad. Wii U combats that issue in this game.

ZombiU suffers from Horrible-Name-Syndrom and Red-Steelitis so it easily gets dismissed. I found it hilarious that on a Gamers With Jobs Conference Call a couple of weeks ago they had one guest on who went to one of the Wii U press events before or after Comic Con and played some of the games. They talked about the same stuff everyone already talked about at E3 and made similar points, cautiously neutral, don't care, they didn't show anything, ports, ZombiU might be ok? blah blah blah. In that same episode, they then had a dedicated DayZ segment where they eventually reached the conclusion that it's a cool idea but they'd love to see that in a more accessible format. ZombiU did not come up once in that part of the discussion! I banged my head against an imaginary table. As far as we know, it doesn't have any direct MMO-style player vs. player interaction (sounds more like sequel material) but the basic idea is the same: survive--if you die, you start over fresh! Only that ZombiU has plot progression and is gameplay wise tailored more after Dark Souls (one of the producers is a huge fan). I'm not saying it's better or anything but why is it so hard to take that game seriously?

Some of the press comments appear no different than what Random Internet Person might say in terms of how informed their statement is or how much care they put into how they express their opinion and that bugs me a lot these days. A lot of the press people I like fall into that category as well. And I expect better from them.

If anybody actually reads this, sorry for ranting but thanks for reading.

edit:

this is basically the tl;dr version of my huge post :D
AMEN.

They could give getting excited over the possibilities a try.

Why? If you want that sort of coverage, then there's plenty of sources out there that has blog post after blog post excitedly telling you how amazing Nintendo is. But that's never how the established enthusiast outlets have worked. Companies announce new consoles, the media asks (on behalf of consumers) "why should we care?", and the answer to that dictates the kind of coverage they get. And you only have to see Reggie's floundering on GameTrailers to know that Nintendo don't have anything worthwhile to tell them.

kodecraft

The Wii U name and the design of the console itself still really irk me. When I see the little displays in HMV, I still don't think they say much to the casual consumer.

The name pretty much tells you nothing, I can see why people would look at the displays and think it was just a controller for the Wii. It doesnt help at all that the actual console pictured looks near identical to the Wii.

If there was a poster that said 'Wii 2' in big letter it would pick up attention straight away. It would avoid any confusion about the look of the machine for sure. Same as if the Wii U name was kept but the console design was completely new.

When I buy a new house, I dont want it to look exactly the same as my old one but with better air conditioning and better roof tiling.

When I bought my SNES, I was glad it had a new design. Can't imagine buying it and it looking like a slightly bigger NES, but with a SNES logo in tiny writing on it.

The main reason his irks me is because this is the exact same problem that the 3DS has suffered from. It's absolutely shameful that Nintendo has not learnt from that. Shameful. Serious questions have to be asked about those who have made these big decisions.

I agree with this, i think the name Super Wii would've been much better, basically given people what they loved and remembered about the Wii and also upgrading the Wii to something more powerful with another NEW WAY TO PLAY.

-Super Wii

Effect

I've come to a point where I'm no longer concerned about the the 3rd party support. If it's there it's there. If only a few support the system for whatever reason I'll deal (saves me a LOT of money) and make up the difference with my PC going forward. Concerns regarding the power of the system do matter as much when I look at things in that light. The simple fact that it's more powerful then the 360 and PS3 is all that matters at this point because my PC will always be more powerful and I am able to keep it that way. For others that don't, can't, or don't like to maintain their PC I can understand their concern and frustration completely.

Lately I've been trying to fall back into the gaming pattern I had while in college (undergrad and graduate). Where I looked at gaming sites maybe once a week or every other week. Where I bought games from stores because they sounded interesting or trusted the developer based on past experiences. My entire GameCube library (thought maybe around a dozen games I think) was picked this way with maybe a little help from user reviews. It's to expensive to do the last part to be honest but not following gaming to closely is indeed doable. As if supplementing my console gaming with mmorpgs which I really enjoy. That greatly slows down my new console games until I've beaten games. I don't want to fall into the trap of having a backlog this time around.

Maybe I shouldn't be looking at things this way. Perhaps I'm trying to hard to find positives out of what could possibly be a bad situation Nintendo and Wii U could find themselves in. I really don't know. I do know that going in this direction helps with my enjoyment of gaming and is allowing me to have a more positive outlook in regard to the Wii U going forward regardless of what happens to it in the next several years. Gaming is a hobby and I really want to remember that it is and not like it become anymore important then that.

AppleBlade

Why? If you want that sort of coverage, then there's plenty of sources out there that has blog post after blog post excitedly telling you how amazing Nintendo is. But that's never how the established enthusiast outlets have worked. Companies announce new consoles, the media asks (on behalf of consumers) "why should we care?", and the answer to that dictates the kind of coverage they get. And you only have to see Reggie's floundering on GameTrailers to know that Nintendo don't have anything worthwhile to tell them.
I don't think the poor coverage has anything to do with quality. This past gen, any mediocre big budget PS3/360 game (i.e. think Kane & Lynch, Stranglehold, Dante's Inferno, Homefront) got way more coverage then quality Wii games like PunchOut!, Sin & Punishment, and Zack & Wiki.

The crazy thing is that I like good graphics and cinematic games, I played my PS3 and 360 more then I played my Wii but I still want to know the going on's about Nintendo's system and I could not get that from the mainstream gaming press. I actually had to start listening to Nintendo-centric podcasts just to know what is going on because the mainstream gaming podcasts would totally ignore quality titles for the Wii and the digital games on the Wii were almost never discussed. If they just ignored the Wii that would be bad, but they actually would go out of their way to bash it. How the hell can you bash something if you don't try it? How can you say that a system has no games when you ignore games that are getting 8's and 9's for that system. How can you go gaga over Rayman Origins and the countless indie platformers and the say that Nintendo just doesn't make your type of games when their system is full those types of experiences (Donkey Kong Returns says hi).

Stulaw

I agree with this, i think the name Super Wii would've been much better, basically given people what they loved and remembered about the Wii and also upgrading the Wii to something more powerful with another NEW WAY TO PLAY.

-Super Wii
He can hit a urinal from 2 miles away, he never misses, and can release up to ten gallons at a time. He is Super Wii

Whilst I'm fine with the WiiU name (although Wii 2 or even Wii2U would have been better) the console it self has to be one of the laziest ever designed. It's just a horizontal Wii with rounded edges and an oddly long behind.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if people think it's just a redesigned Wii. They should have attempted to differentiate it some meaningful way from the Wii.

Whilst I'm fine with the WiiU name (although Wii 2 or even Wii2U would have been better) the console it self has to be one of the laziest ever designed. It's just a horizontal Wii with rounded edges and an oddly long behind.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if people think it's just a redesigned Wii. They should have attempted to differentiate it some meaningful way from the Wii.

I agree with this, a bit more effort could have gone into the design.

jmizzal

Came on the gaf gaming front page and saw NOA reveals and got all happy then it was just 3DS and DS lineup :(.

I was expect it to say NOA reveals WiiU preorders or something lol

But the fact that they put that info out means WiiU info should be next up

jmizzal

Nice of the Bonus Round to spend less than 5 minutes on the Wii U (half of which were complaining about two ports) before letting the Dishonored guy pitch his game.

I just dont understand why do people keep complaining about Mass Effect 3 and Batman coming to WiiU. They say if people who have 360's and PS3's wanted those games they would already have them. But last time I checked Batman AC GOY edition just came out on those same systems, do they complain about GOY editions? So why complain about it coming to a new system. I mean look at the last NPD, Batman charted along with Dead Island, just for GOY edition on systems that they were already on. But yet when Dark Souls PC is announced for a year late port, I dont see anyone saying if people wanted that game they would already have it, all I see is excited people, which is nothing wrong with that.

They act like every game on WiiU is year old ports, there are plenty of new games coming on WiiU, it has prob the best launch lineup ever. Yes it has some older games but its a lot of new, with new controls. Like I said before when Nintendo starts to release HD remakes people are gonna complain about Nintendo rehashing games, but yet there are so many HD remakes on PS360.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
sorry for the OT (LOL), but we have the firts news about Sega all star racing for Wii U:

On IGN I've found also a confirmation about the Wii U version, with some characteristic:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/13/sonic-all-stars-racing-transforms-on-wii-u

It will have all the features of the other versions, plus:
tv-free gameplay
gamepad additional info with map and closeup on ours power up attacks
gyro sensor controls to steer

I'd love to see wiiu footage: I'm really curious about gamepad for arcade racing like this (hopig to see also F1 deformed confirmed for the console)

What are they supposed to get excited about? Nintendo have battened down the PR hatches, so the media are waiting for the same assumed pre-launch press conference the rest of us are.

Plus, the whole point of the Wii U is the synergy between the GamePad and the TV screen, and to be frank, they haven't shown anything that shows it off convincingly. At least not for the audience that reads enthusiast gaming websites. Maybe they're scared Sony and Microsoft will rip off their ideas, I dunno.

This was actually said to me at the Chicago Wii U Experience by a Nintendo Rep manning the Zombie U station..

on a related note when I asked him about the MiiVerse we talked for a little while then he told me outside of the higher ups NO ONE has seen MiiVerse in action because they are still working on it and they don't want their ideas stolen.

sorry for the OT (LOL), but we have the firts news about Sega all star racing for Wii U:

On IGN I've found also a confirmation about the Wii U version, with some characteristic:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/13/sonic-all-stars-racing-transforms-on-wii-u

tv-free gameplay

I'd love to see wiiu footage: I'm really curious about gamepad for arcade racing like this (hopig to see also F1 deformed confirmed for the console)

I want the full steering wheel with gears and pedals...

jmizzal

tv-free gameplay

Thanks good news, its gonna be the only good racing game on WiiU this year

tv-free gameplay

Omg! yessssss!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They could give getting excited over the possibilities a try.

Here is a truth about people: they simultaneously want to be engaged out of their boredom and cynicsm, but are also risk-adversive and don't want anything to actually change.

This paradox seems to be at the root of much of humanity's story. So no surprise it filters down to things like video games.

I had always felt, regarding the Wii, that the 'hardcore' gamer reaction to it was hilarious and sad. The Wii wasn't a new gimmick at all. It was merely an old "gimmick" updated with better technology. People who grew up in arcades were quite familiar with the so-called gimmick the Wii was predicated on. Motion control, interacting with games as physical experiences, from shooting, to racing, to dancing, to skiing. Using firehoses, swinging virtual golf clubs, whacking giant boxing trainer pads with your actual fists.

Those kinds of things appealed to the average person, they had to, because they were machines places in public on the street that had to attract actual mainstream people to step up and put a coin in. Despite what a lot of allegedly hardcore gamers think, people in the mainstream are enchanted by novelty and actually will try something fun and different. It is nerds and geeks who are insecure about their image, seem to have a sour frown on much of the time, and struggle to appear sophisticated in their pastimes. Mainstream people go to amusement parks and get in log rides that end up with them yelling, whooping, screaming, and getting drenched soaking wet in public. Bitter asinine people sit at home afraid of looking foolish. The internet is a great window for such risk-adversive shut-ins to view the world through.

I suppose the problem is that much of technology and technological entertainment has become marketed at the latter demographic.

I don't think the poor coverage has anything to do with quality. This past gen, any mediocre big budget PS3/360 game (i.e. think Kane & Lynch, Stranglehold, Dante's Inferno, Homefront) got way more coverage then quality Wii games like PunchOut!, Sin & Punishment, and Zack & Wiki.

I agree, it's not about quality at all. But the reason those PS3/360 games you mentioned got more coverage was because the publishers actively went looking for it. Press events, preview builds, one-on-one demos, developer interviews - they did whatever they could to get the press writing about it. Wii games never really get that same kind of promotion, especially Nintendo stuff, where pretty much all the pre-release coverage comes directly from Nintendo themselves.

I don't think it's necessarily a problem - casuals don't look at the specialist press, and Nintendo fans probably prefer to get their coverage direct from the source - but that's why press coverage is often very thin, even for the big titles.

I have a prediction regarding the next generation of consoles. They will come out, and many people will enjoy them and spend countless hours having fun on them. People will choose games that suit them and their taste. Some people will like one console over another. There will be people who think the Wii U is junk. There will be people who think its the best console in years. Other people will buy all 3 consoles and even game on PC/Mac etc. There will be ups and downs, glory and disappointment. In the end, we will all survive and all the mountains will become molehills.

I guess i just expect professionals to not act like complete idiots who cant understand how integrating a touch screen into a controller might have some uses that are worth being excited over. I suppose it just baffles me to watch people cry and whine like their life depends on having every single little thing their way or else they get all butt hurt.

Gaming used to be fun. It used to be about creativity and getting lost in the moment. Now its just a bunch of old people armchair marketing in forums and teenage punks letting their ego and desired self image dictate their taste. And if thats the fate of it all then so be it. But dont be surprised that some people, such as myself, would rather focus on what good might be coming rather than holding a magnifying glass up to any small flaws and making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

Games will come out. People will enjoy them. If they dont, there will always be a new game just around the corner. I prefer to focus on the things i like. I dont think its insane to want to gravitate towards positivity and excitement over self imposed disappointment and doom.

Every time im on gaf and i read people arguing sales etc etc, i recall this brilliant rant and it makes me feel ten times better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eStcSpAdodc&feature=plcp

AppleBlade

Here is a truth about people: they simultaneously want to be engaged out of their boredom and cynicsm, but are also risk-adversive and don't want anything to actually change.

This paradox seems to be at the root of much of humanity's story. So no surprise it filters down to things like video games.

I had always felt, regarding the Wii, that the 'hardcore' gamer reaction to it was hilarious and sad. The Wii wasn't a new gimmick at all. It was merely an old "gimmick" updated with better technology. People who grew up in arcades were quite familiar with the so-called gimmick the Wii was predicated on. Motion control, interacting with games as physical experiences, from shooting, to racing, to dancing, to skiing. Using firehoses, swinging virtual golf clubs, whacking giant boxing trainer pads with your actual fists.

Those kinds of things appealed to the average person, they had to, because they were machines places in public on the street that had to attract actual mainstream people to step up and put a coin in. Despite what a lot of allegedly hardcore gamers think, people in the mainstream are enchanted by novelty and actually will try something fun and different. It is nerds and geeks who are insecure about their image, seem to have a sour frown on much of the time, and struggle to appear sophisticated in their pastimes. Mainstream people go to amusement parks and get in log rides that end up with them yelling, whooping, screaming, and getting drenched soaking wet in public. Bitter asinine people sit at home afraid of looking foolish. The internet is a great window for such risk-adversive shut-ins to view the world through.

I suppose the problem is that much of technology and technological entertainment has become marketed at the latter demographic.
Good post.

DrWong

I support this.

AppleBlade

The consensus is hardware discussion consensucks, right now. ;]

Edit: 500/600 GFLOPS.
So about double what the 360 is capable of. The funny thing is that the next xbox and playstation will probably have GPU's that are capable of about double what the Wii U is capable of. It'll be interesting if the gap between the 360 and the Wii U is similar to the gap between the Wii U and the 720.

EVIL

great post!

Nibel

Makes way too much sense

I guess i just expect professionals to not act like complete idiots who cant understand how integrating a touch screen into a controller might have some uses that are worth being excited over.

But how exactly are they supposed to generate content based off that? Do you really want more IGN-style "Top 10 possible uses for the Wii U GamePad" or "Top 10 games we'd like to see on Wii U" fluff pieces? If you do, then there's plenty of places you can read articles like that.

Donnie

So about double what the 360 is capable of. The funny thing is that the next xbox and playstation will probably have GPU's that are capable of about double what the Wii U is capable of. It'll be interesting if the gap between the 360 and the Wii U is similar to the gap between the Wii U and the 720.

Around double the raw processing power but the more advanced feature set should make a significant difference. Also yeah the difference in GPU power between WiiU and XBox3 is likely to be very similar.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
wow it's heated around here °_°

Just a notice: prepare some clean footage of third-parties builds from E3 (and also Comicon) to compare them with what we'll see at Gamescom in a few days :)

I declare open the UHPUTWUL* (pronounced YouPouteWoule) !!!

H Y P E !!

* Ultra Hyping Period Until The Wii U Launch

Nibel

This.. this is AWESOME

ibwySKaDp9VJwU.gif

Just a notice: prepare some clean footage of third-parties builds from E3 (and also Comicon) to compare them with what we'll see at Gamescom in a few days :)

H Y P E !!

Time to get back on the HYPE train.

D-e-f-

Banned
But how exactly are they supposed to generate content based off that? Do you really want more IGN-style "Top 10 possible uses for the Wii U GamePad" or "Top 10 games we'd like to see on Wii U" fluff pieces? If you do, then there's plenty of places you can read articles like that.

Well, if you happen to have a job writing for one of those sites, it should be in your skillset to come up with a clever way to do that.

As for fresh gamescom footage, I would hope there are at least a few new builds or maybe even fresh sections of some games.

Another round of "this is the bug out bag, you go towards the gate, then we're in the nursery and you gotta lockpick that --OOH jump scare zombie in the closet" demo of ZombiU is not really what would get us more excited.

How about a demo that actually shows off the new features in Batman: AC Armored Edition properly? And I guess the Darksiders 2 NDA is still in effect? Vigil wants to talk about it but they can't. In my opinion, that's a big mistake because you might (MAYBE!) get some people to wait for the Wii U version if you talk about that BEFORE the game launches on all the other systems.

Well, part of the problem is that most press people are so busy arguing about rape in a Tomb Raider trailer that isn't there and Hitman Absolution being about shooting Nuns because the marketing dept. put out a silly CG trailer, that they cannot find the time to actually look at what's out there about the Wii U.

I keep hearing and reading all this layman business analysis, "Oh, but it's Nintendo™" jokes and comparisons with other platforms that don't make sense.

Time and time again, I get the feeling even the press is looking for reasons to avoid the Wii U because it might mean more work to be familiar with another platform. Ignoring the Wii was made easy and many perfected it over the years save for when the usual Mario, Zelda, Metroid games came out.

Those "why does this game need a touch screen? why does it need to be on Wii U?" nonsense is what irritates me the most. I heard that during E3 in relation to Rayman Legends being exclusive. Some would prefer it if the game just came out on everything so they wouldn't have to play it on the Wii U which would require adapting to a different system. Do you EVER hear people say "why is this game on 360? why is this game on PS3? why is this game on PC? they could've done this on any other platform." No, you don't. Why? Because they already own those. "New features? Pah! Don't need those, the old game was fun without them." ...

I honestly believe it comes down to convenience or lack thereof. Aside from the graphics issue, what was the number one argument that came up with the Wii? "I don't wanna wave my arms around for hours at a time." A comment signaling ignorance on the speaker's part. What do we hear when people talk about Wii U aside from the graphics issue (again)? "I don't wanna NOT look at my TV, why do I need to keep looking at the touch screen, that thing looks weird an uncomfortable." Oh. My. God! Seriously?

It seems like many people covering games have become so jaded and old that they have lost all their imagination. When I see Wii U and games like Pikmin, Project P-100, ZombiU, Rayman Legends and even Mass Effect 3 (which I have just finished a few weeks ago on 360), I see the possibilities, what makes these games or versions stand out or better.

Being split into four characters in Pikmin 3, each having a separate goal and a few Pikmin to achieve it, forcing you to focus your attention on multiple characters and sometimes combining their efforts and the Rock Pikmin and Flying Pikmin get me damned excited! Having a map on the screen also sounds pretty damn useful. It's not exciting but its presence makes the game potentially a lot better since you don't have to pause and look at the map and scroll around. Just take a peek onto the GamePad's screen!

Kamiya's brand of crazy with tons of little superheroes running around cities and fighting huge robots by forming giant swords or ladders? Sounds pretty dope!

Having just finished ME3, I can totally see why playing it on the Wii U would make it so much better: you have direct access to MORE skills without having to pause and select one from the radial menu. In the old versions, you have D-Pad left and right for ONE of your two squadmates' powers each. Your own skills are spread across three buttons. (quick tap RB/R1, LB/L1 and Y/Triangle)--that makes five skills that are accessible to you at any point without pausing. On Wii U, you have all those buttons AND you have EIGHT slots on the touch screen, easily accessible via your thumb (= a total of TWELVE powers without pausing)! And a map so you don't have to run around to find that last enemy that keeps hiding behind a crate somewhere! Also, that turns the Wii U into a small Codex-reader if you switch to Tablet-Only view, turn off the TV you can comfortably read the Codex entries on the tablet. Reading long text on the TV is bad. Wii U combats that issue in this game.

ZombiU suffers from Horrible-Name-Syndrom and Red-Steelitis so it easily gets dismissed. I found it hilarious that on a Gamers With Jobs Conference Call a couple of weeks ago they had one guest on who went to one of the Wii U press events before or after Comic Con and played some of the games. They talked about the same stuff everyone already talked about at E3 and made similar points, cautiously neutral, don't care, they didn't show anything, ports, ZombiU might be ok? blah blah blah. In that same episode, they then had a dedicated DayZ segment where they eventually reached the conclusion that it's a cool idea but they'd love to see that in a more accessible format. ZombiU did not come up once in that part of the discussion! I banged my head against an imaginary table. As far as we know, it doesn't have any direct MMO-style player vs. player interaction (sounds more like sequel material) but the basic idea is the same: survive--if you die, you start over fresh! Only that ZombiU has plot progression and is gameplay wise tailored more after Dark Souls (one of the producers is a huge fan). I'm not saying it's better or anything but why is it so hard to take that game seriously?

Some of the press comments appear no different than what Random Internet Person might say in terms of how informed their statement is or how much care they put into how they express their opinion and that bugs me a lot these days. A lot of the press people I like fall into that category as well. And I expect better from them.

If anybody actually reads this, sorry for ranting but thanks for reading.

edit:

this is basically the tl;dr version of my huge post :D

He said it best:
What the fudge fellow GAF'ers, it's videogames lighten up :)

Earendil

I agree with this, a bit more effort could have gone into the design.

They could have turned the disk drive so that the right side (looking at it from the front) was the front of the console so it was wide and shallow instead of narrow and deep (cue the longer, deeper jokes). But I have no idea what effect this would have on the cooling.

Banned

Your new tag should be "Makes too much sense for this forum"

Great post.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
lol my post got quoted a lot.

I feel the need to clarify, the idea is not that anybody who doesn't prefer using a wiimote is an insecure nerd. More, that the general aura surrounding the Wii, as generated by the hardcore gaming zeitgeist, was way off-base. I mean, for four years straight you watched as enthusiast gamers flipped out over the Wii's continued success, baffled by why anyone cared, and kept saying "the fad must be over" every single month. Then the NPD hit, and disbelief renewed itself.

And that attitude has been reflected in the gaming press, especially due to churn in the press industry. I know someone in the press, who goes to the major events. He's old enough to be an old arcade rat, and he notes how most of the people they send out to write about games and ask questions are basically the new generation of gamer kids who just play competitive FPS shooters online and don't really grok any other kind, or context, of gaming. They often ask the same jaded questions - "when will you amaze us again!" Yet, don't seem interested in much outside of the games they already play, in the way they already play them.

Much as with Wii, nobody really knows what's going to happen when Wii U is thrown out there in public. Most of what gets passed around seems to have the DNA of all the arguments about how "the Wii fad has to end" woven into it. It's just real easy right now to hand wave and chant "smart phones app store smart phones watermelon cantaloupes" as if this actually makes a solid prediction.

For example, here's something I don't see put forth. If the average person who bought a Wii wasn't someone who also owned an xbox or playstation, then from their perspective Wii U may be seen as a significant event. They're not the person who is already waiting (and aching) for PS4 and Xbox 720, for whom Wii U has failed to impress before it has even released. I would venture that Wii U has a much better chance of catching the former customer's eye and interest, especially if it's priced under $300. Another reason maybe, why the $250 price point may be absolutely vital, even if it seems unlikely Nintendo could hit that.

Your new tag should be "Makes too much sense for this forum"

Thanks, but I still have important space business in space.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I wish Nintendo would hurry up and reveal the next Nintendo Direct.
This wait seems almost longer than the wait before E3.
Surely, a Nintendo Direct on the same day the box arts were revealed would have made sense?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

H Y P E !!

No. I refuse to get hyped. I refuse. Not after E3.

*Gets hyped anyway*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom