• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain subsystems of the chip were seemingly designed to reach speeds up to 4GHz. Doesn't mean that the whole chip can or will be clocked that high. Maybe there'll be some sort of TurboCore mode or something, though. Combining CMT (Clustered Multithreading) and TurboCore could be quite interesting.

Thanks for the clarification. Keep fighting the good fight over at beyond3d! I can't believe people are still bringing up an overclocked Broadway as a possibility over there.

nordique

Wait what? Nooooooo. That was dealing with trolling posts.

Also we have rumor that Wii U is using a GPGPU, which would explain the CPU issues.

Ahhh haha I see

And yeah I eventually caught up to that part of the thread. Super exciting news, considering I was not thinking the Wii U GPU was ever going to be a GPGPU at all, in the slightest.

japtor

Rösti;38839012 said:
I can find no financial report, SEC filing or similar whatsoever stating that Grand Theft Auto V will be released for Wii U. Since Rockstar Games is a wholly owned subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., they're forced by law to file reports regularly, and something as major as this would most certainly be a part of such a report.

There's of course the chance that the report hasn't been published yet for the public to see, but I've never heard of any investor meeting etc. where attendees haven't had access to relevant documents. And since that site isn't even naming a source except for the mentioned report, it sounds very fishy.
I think the source was...Gaf. Pretty sure I saw the rumor posted on that site after Gaf went crazy over Jumpman's "green and white" post and managed to believe that he was talking about the GTA V logo.
One question: How does this theory fit with the tidbit you dug up previously - namely that the CPU was designed to run at anywhere from 1-4 Ghz? (I believe those were the numbers you gave, but correct me if I'm wrong.)
(ignoring his actual reply...)
Maybe 1-4ghz was actually 1.4ghz, DOOMED :p
Random thought: I wonder if the decreased draw distance in Batman: AC confirms that they are using DDR3 and not GDDR5. Wouldn't this aspect of the engine most likely be reliant on memory bandwidth?
Didn't someone say UE3 in general had some pop in issues? And otherwise I think someone mentioned it may not have been optimized for disc streaming yet (which was apparently just introduced to dev kits recently iirc).
do you need two people to play this game?

I feel the use of the gamepad is kinda retarded from single use
you have someone else controlling rayman while you control this Navi like dude to clear the path of him.

this is again the same use as NSMBU with making platforms for mario

oh well maybe they just want to show off the concept and lonely GAF will have a good single player experience
I think they mentioned what was shown is a multiplayer only mode where a second player was necessary. No clue if there's a whole completely different game's worth of multiplayer levels or just a few though (vs NSMBU where the multiplayer is just an added option to the single player).

Edit-just saw that video linked before, now I'm just confused. Seems pretty cumbersome playing that way...hopefully it's just an option to play through the mulitplayer levels on your own.

tkscz

Wait what? Nooooooo. That was dealing with trolling posts.

Also we have rumor that Wii U is using a GPGPU, which would explain the CPU issues.

If this rumor is true, it could mean that things like physics would be handled by the GPGPU, leaving the CPU with even less to do. Hell, besides AI, what is there left for the WiiU's CPU to run? Doesn't run I/O, Sound, or what ever the GPGPU would run (most likely the physics).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The CVG thread is up. I probably need to leave or I will get banned.

japtor

they already have an eShop and DD and Miiverse and with no monthly fee I'm Ok with this
Pay online play is pretty much why I haven't done shit with my 360 online. I've done a few months with free codes here and there but that's it. Most of my 360 games are XBLA though, I'm hoping Wii U gets arcade ports and stuff like the 360 did.

Also they need to moneyhat Cave.

Eradicate

I know this is kinda old, and maybe got covered already by soneone else, but it says:

Nintendo Ltd
Latest Hardware Exhibition and Briefing
Private Viewing of Wii U

and at the bottom:
About Entry: Limited to people invited [prior to the show].

Thank you for translating that StreetsAhead! I found the picture on a Japanese gaming writer's Twitter account. He doesn't seem to mention any new games or anything looking at his posts today, but I don't know anything about it.

Also, good find on the Q&A! I think it is worthwhile to look at things on here even if a thread exists in gaming. I know someone brought it up somewhere in these forums, and it's also something I've seen questioned on different gaming sites, but it seems that even 3rd parties will be able to sell their games digitally, not just Nintendo.

As we’ve shared with you previously, for the Wii U hardware system, from the beginning, we’ve planned to make it possible for people to release their games as either an optical disc or as digital content. So publishers would be able to choose from both of those options.

Currently, we are in discussions with the publishers by sharing with them our offer in this area. Through that process, if publishers accept it as reasonable, games in the digital format will be available from the launch time. There are no technical restrictions.

Other than that, I haven't seen too many new things to speculate on yet with the Wii U. I did make a mock-up of a Gamecube themed Wii U though!

vgO2u.jpg

You can't see the handle on the back of the Wii U, but it's there!

wsippel

Banned
Thanks for the clarification. Keep fighting the good fight over at beyond3d! I can't believe people are still bringing up an overclocked Broadway as a possibility over there.
The chip could probably be considered a superset of Broadway in a way as it needs to share several unique characteristics to achieve binary compatibility, but it's certainly not just an "overclocked Broadway". Semantics.

tkscz

The chip could probably be considered a superset of Broadway in a way as it needs to share several unique characteristics to achieve binary compatibility, but it's certainly not just an "overclocked Broadway". Semantics.

Hey wsipple, think you could help with my question above? I seriously would like to know, if the GPGPU rumor is true, and the WiiU already has many chips that take functions from the CPU, what is there left that the CPU has to run besides AI?

Other than that, I haven't seen too many new things to speculate on yet with the Wii U. I did make a mock-up of a Gamecube themed Wii U though!

vgO2u.jpg

This just reminds me how annoying it is that SNES-era Nintendo realised that B and Y are more comfortable buttons to use regularly, a trait that carried on through N64- and GC-era Nintendo in terms of button placement, when all of a sudden DS- and Wii-era Nintendo said "yeah, let's stop doing the right thing and start making the most-pressed button be the one on the right, screw legacy".

I don't look forward to playing the GC VC version of Melee on that thing, having to use what had been X to do basic attacks.

Tim-E

LOL @ that CVG thread. Nintendo threads over there are some of the most hilariously predictable things on the internet. It's almost always the same batch of people posting the same stuff.

Thank you for translating that StreetsAhead! I found the picture on a Japanese gaming writer's Twitter account. He doesn't seem to mention any new games or anything looking at his posts today, but I don't know anything about it.

Also, good find on the Q&A! I think it is worthwhile to look at things on here even if a thread exists in gaming. I know someone brought it up somewhere in these forums, and it's also something I've seen questioned on different gaming sites, but it seems that even 3rd parties will be able to sell their games digitally, not just Nintendo.

vgO2u.jpg

I really hope/fear Nintendo releasing a Zelda special edition. I'm not sure I could turn it down.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
LOL @ that CVG thread. Nintendo threads over there are some of the most hilariously predictable things on the internet. It's almost always the same batch of people posting the same stuff.

That is basically a sanctioned flame thread. Fun stuff.

USC-fan

Banned

I have to agree. Funny reading it here also. Man your battle station s it seems when something posted in the other forum.

Dr.Hadji

Anyone think it is possible to play something like Pikmin 3 co-op split-screen one person on the TV while the other is on the pad?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/13/wii-u-games-wont-support-two-wiipads-at-launch/

At Nintendo's E3 press conference last week, the house of Mario showed its upcoming Wii U console could support two WiiPads at once. However, that doesn't mean any launch titles will support the functionality at the console's launch. In fact, they won't.

"It's going to be well after launch for those game experiences to come to life
," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told Gamasutra. He explained that developers would need to figure out how to use a second screen on the WiiPad before incorporating a third. If only there were an example from days of future's past to reference.

Fils-Aime said the "next major step forward" is learning asymmetric gameplay for the Wii U, like active play was for the Wii. After that "there will be multiple experiences that have two" WiiPads.

Sorry if already posted. Bummer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom