• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuGsj.gif
wtf is a WiiPads? JOYSTICK!

wsippel

Banned
Hey wsipple, think you could help with my question above? I seriously would like to know, if the GPGPU rumor is true, and the WiiU already has many chips that take functions from the CPU, what is there left that the CPU has to run besides AI?
Engines and game logic. As great as all that dedicated logic might be at what it was designed to do, it constantly needs to be told what to do and how. Extremely simplified: The IO processor knows when you pull the trigger on the gamepad and the audio DSP knows how to play a gunshot sound, but only the CPU knows what the button press means, which sound effect to play and how much ammo you have left.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm sure Ace'll see your message, hehe..

And my heart isn't the least bit broken on the whole no-online-for-Pikmin issue. I'm not looking forward to a future where every game that doesn't have online features is met with complain, complain, complain. The way you guys talk about online makes it seem like the end-all, be-all of gaming.. the holy grail. And I just can't bring myself to care about that issue. *shrug*

Well, in the geographical sense it is important. Not everyone can plop down on their friends couch for local MP. While not every game is suited to online multiplayer, it's a pretty basic feature these days.

I don't doubt Nintendo will have some competence with it this time round, but there's no excuse their usual "we just don't feel like we need it" PR horseshit line in this area,
if they decide to use it.

snesfreak

Banned
Well it wouldn't bother *me* if the first Madden (assuming it's at launch) only supported one, I'd be playing by myself (or online) anyway.

TunaLover

In the last Q&A aknowledge that Nintendo can't compete in snatch exclusive content from third parties in the same level as MS =(

I guess if Nintendo don't works more closely with third parties they will suffer from the same Wii fate, they will able to snatch some key IPs from Japan though, they are better in that.

Also exclusive publishing/co-developments and stablishing more second parties subsidaries is Nintendo strong point.

"He explained that developers would need to figure out how to use a second screen on the WiiPad before incorporating a third."

Yeah...I'm sure pretty much anybody making a card game or a football game or whatever won't have any problems figuring out how to use two Gamepads in addition to the TV screen.

However, since you won't be able to buy additional Gamepads, it's not really a big deal, because I think I'm the only one of my friends planning to get a Wii-U at launch. By the time games come out that use the second controller, at least one of my friends will probably have a Wii-U, so we can then make use of the feature.

Tim-E

Certain games just won't have very active online communites down the road. We see online modes shut down constantly, is it worth it to focus effort into building a competent online mode and to keep servers up for games that only 6 concurrent players at a time will be on a year down the road? I'm not saying that Pikmin would necessarily be like that, but we see it happen pretty frequently.

Redford

aka Cabbie
In the last Q&A aknowledge that Nintendo can't compete in snatch exclusive content from third parties in the same level as MS =(

I guess if Nintendo don't works more closely with third parties they will suffer from the same Wii fate, they will able to snatch some key IPs from Japan though, they are better in that.

Also exclusive publishing/co-developments and stablishing more second parties subsidaries is Nintendo strong point.

I wouldn't like to see that honestly, we're talking about a company that spent half a billion dollars on advertising a peripheral. :p

Maybe that's not alot of money? It is to me, anyway

Certain games just won't have very active online communites down the road. We see online modes shut down constantly, is it worth it to focus effort into building a competent online mode and to keep servers up for games that only 6 concurrent players at a time will be on a year down the road? I'm not saying that Pikmin would necessarily be like that, but we see it happen pretty frequently.

I don't know much about online infrastructure, but to anyone that does: aside from statistics and stuff, WiiU is operating on P2P, right?

Donnie

lol, wait, there are still 20 other questions to be copied/pasted here :p
no, seriously, i see there are like tons of people who don't even dare to read a thread in the gaming section now so this way we can talk about this QA with them.

Yep, I don't tend to go into the main gaming forum much so posting news here is appreciated.

Most XBox 360 games are peer to peer, meaning they don't need a server for anything but matching players (which is why I always refused to pay for the service just to play online). And as long as Nintendo handles the matchup servers themselves, then the developer has nothing to do to keep their game working forever, or at least until Nintendo decides to shut down their online.

BlackJace

I am positive a year or two ago someone at Nintendo said it wasn't their goal to be the #1 online gaming service and it blew up around here.

EDIT: Here it is. Miyamoto: 'Not Our Goal' To Become The Number One Online Gaming Company

I don't care. I just want a decent online. And FREE.

Microsoft and SONY will have paid online for sure in the PS4/720.

they already have an eShop and DD and Miiverse and with no monthly fee I'm Ok with this

It'll be fine regardless, I just don't believe it'll be as ambitious as say XBL. Not even close really.

This just reminds me how annoying it is that SNES-era Nintendo realised that B and Y are more comfortable buttons to use regularly, a trait that carried on through N64- and GC-era Nintendo in terms of button placement, when all of a sudden DS- and Wii-era Nintendo said "yeah, let's stop doing the right thing and start making the most-pressed button be the one on the right, screw legacy".

I don't look forward to playing the GC VC version of Melee on that thing, having to use what had been X to do basic attacks.

Frankly, I know that it's English-specific, but I would really love if somebody used N, S, E and W as their face buttons. Then I wouldn't have to guess "wait, was the X button on the bottom, top or left side of the buttons?". I'd just know because they're the cardinal directions that have been drilled into my head since I was 3 years old.

KuGsj.gif
wtf is a WiiPads? JOYSTICK!

Hah! Sometimes I want to /trout people for thinking that "wiipad" and "wiimote" are actual words. Things have names, people!

Fucking google, I couldn't search for "/trout", even in quotes, because the search effectively removes the slash. Bing does the same thing. Are there any search engines out there that are at ~2005 Google levels of effectiveness anymore?

edit: specUlation threads are weird when you can post two messages five minutes apart and find them right next to one another. D:

Frankly, I know that it's English-specific, but I would really love if somebody used N, S, E and W as their face buttons. Then I wouldn't have to guess "wait, was the X button on the bottom, top or left side of the buttons?". I'd just know because they're the cardinal directions that have been drilled into my head since I was 3 years old.

I like it! Perhaps for the future Neogaf game console. haha

snesfreak

Banned
I like it! Perhaps for the future Neogaf game console. haha
A GAF game console?
Will it have a tri-SLI'd GPU and a 12 core CPU?
Sold at a $800 loss, because who cares about making money.
And no games because it uses a weird undocumented API and is hard as hell to develop for.
Also comes with no cables, have to buy proprietary GAF-branded cables made by Monster separately.
Also, no controller.
Have to buy your own.
Also games will never take full advantage of the hardware because they come on CDs.

rpmurphy

I don't know much about online infrastructure, but to anyone that does: aside from statistics and stuff, WiiU is operating on P2P, right?
I never really understood the idea of why companies need to shut down matchmaking services especially for a large publisher like EA, which can probably afford web servers to be purposed for very many things that an extra daemon for a legacy title would be a blip in resource cost.

AzaK

Always a bit saddened by the scheduled and expected disappearance of physical support, i liked my game boxes, cartridges & discs. Well, i guess you trade those material ownership nostalgic feelings with more convenience and flexibility :)

Me too. I'll still buy most of my stuff in boxes I think. I do purchase stuff through the 3DS eshop but they are generally smaller titles that I wouldn't get anything resale and frankly don't care about after I've played a bit of them.

About the Wii U hardware

source
I guess in our hearts of hearts we knew this was the case. Now it can be put to rest, even though, personally I'd be happy with more power and a US$50-$100 additional price bump.

Something tells me Nintendo doesn't give enough fucks to want to compete with PSN and XBL.
What Nintendo does is look at a system and do their own take on it. Sometimes that bombs the fuck out, other times it's pure genius. Time will tell with this ugly as sin, piece of shit, how the hell can it work MiiVerse crap? :)

Yeah, it's good to see Iwata being sane and knowing that he can't out pay MS. Was't the GTA DLC something like 50 million? Madness.

A GAF game console?
And no games because it uses a weird undocumented API and is hard as hell to develop for.
Also comes with no cables, have to buy proprietary GAF-branded cables made by Monster separately.
Also, no controller.
Have to buy your own.
Also games will never take full advantage of the hardware because they come on CDs.

I've heard it's going to launch w/ Dudebro III (pre-alpha version). Also, it'll play Mario but only in banner ads which drop down during Dudebro.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A GAF game console?
Also, no controller.
Have to buy your own.

Retro and Naughty Gods will make all the games, except for when Treasure will team up with Platinum Games to craft Star Fox Unlimited

Emily Rogers (Is she a trustworthy source? I've seen her name around recently) seems to believe that Retro is bleeding developers again, or soon to be after the Wii U project is complete, which is going through a rough road due to gaps in positions:
http://emilyrogersblog.wordpress.co...-studios-rocky-development-for-wii-u-project/

From what I’ve been told, after the Metroid Prime trilogy, Nintendo saw the loss of senior developers as an act of “protesting” against Nintendo. As soon as Prime was finished, Nintendo seeked out another developer to work on Metroid to send a message to those employees who walked out on Retro that “no designer or engineer is bigger than Metroid”. Many people at Retro did not want to continue the Metroid Prime series because it would have been disrespectful to do a Metroid Prime 4 one year after so many Prime designers/engineers/artists left the company. Not only that, but the loss of talent was so large that Retro Studios questioned their own ability in creating a “Prime 4″ that would live up to the high standards that the former employees created with the trilogy.

Don't know about the resumes thing but this is pretty fuckin' made up.

Oddduck

Emily Rogers (Is she a trustworthy source? I've seen her name around recently) seems to believe that Retro is bleeding developers again, or soon to be after the Wii U project is complete, which is going through a rough road due to gaps in positions:
http://emilyrogersblog.wordpress.co...-studios-rocky-development-for-wii-u-project/

She's gotten some things right like Pikmin 3 being moved to Project Cafe, no harddrive for Wii U, and new Super Mario Bros for 3DS right. She's also gotten some stuff wrong.

Regardless of her legitimacy, that list of people (in the article) who left Retro is very fucking sad, and it makes you wonder if Retro could even make another Prime game that was up to the quality of the trilogy.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
She's gotten some things right like Pikmin 3 being moved to Project Cafe, no harddrive for Wii U, and new Super Mario Bros for 3DS right. She's also gotten some stuff wrong.

Regardless of her legitimacy, that list of people (in the article) who left Retro is very fucking sad, and it makes you wonder if Retro could even make another Prime game that was up to the quality of the trilogy.

Well, the turn-overs in this industry are a common practice, even in famous studios where you would think every employees feel good and blossom. With experience, i'm less worried about departures, in the PC rpg little world for example, a lot of old school gamers tends to be focused on 3 or 4 "big names" like Tim Cain, believing that their leave/resignation will 1) make the future games of the company they left sucks 2) automatically meaning that their new project in their new studio will rocks. And it wasn't as simple as that. TLDR: even in a scenario where half the people from Retro would leave, i'm sure, with the close monitoring of Nintendo + new talents attracted by their reputation, their next title will reach a satisfying quality.

AzaK

Nice to know there will be a harddrive in the Wii U (At least one SKU) :)

Do you have any comments on how large the Wii U hard drive will be to accommodate all of these digital downloads?

Iwata:

We haven’t said anything about the hard drive that we’ll be including with the system itself. But we have said, through the USB connection, consumers will be able to take advantage of a wide range of the hard drives that are available in the market, and for quite cheap now, to add memory to their system however they like.

From what I’ve been told, after the Metroid Prime trilogy, Nintendo saw the loss of senior developers as an act of “protesting” against Nintendo. As soon as Prime was finished, Nintendo seeked out another developer to work on Metroid to send a message to those employees who walked out on Retro that “no designer or engineer is bigger than Metroid”. Many people at Retro did not want to continue the Metroid Prime series because it would have been disrespectful to do a Metroid Prime 4 one year after so many Prime designers/engineers/artists left the company. Not only that, but the loss of talent was so large that Retro Studios questioned their own ability in creating a “Prime 4″ that would live up to the high standards that the former employees created with the trilogy.

nvm,. Missed the "seeked out another developer" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom