• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

japtor

I wonder what Nintendo was thinking when they where developing the Wii "You know what, nobody really wants a huge leap in power so lets just let Sony and Microsoft do all that while we make the Wii an overclocked GameCube"? lol.
The logic wasn't entirely horrible, but the timing and execution were. Like it was a generation or two too early, and sticking with old architecture on top of that just exacerbated the situation. Wii U may or may not be too early for that strategy*, but it seems like they addressed the architecture part at least (i.e. weak but at least modern).

*Carmack thinks graphics are fine with interfaces playing a larger part going forward (not that he was talking about anything specifically other than the whole VR helmet project).
Had some random thoughts, probably discussed before but;

I really don't know how Nintendo are going to sell this to the gamer crowd, everyone's just going to wait for the next Xbox and Playstation, there is already too much stigma attached to the Wii name only after 6 years.

If Nintendo was kiddy before, what are they now?
Mainstream or accessible?
You know... I was thinking... this blue on the numbers and details on the twewy teaser site... no plataforms anounced. I mean, if it is a 3DS game there's no point in hiding the plataform. It's obvious... Why the secret and why 7 days from now? Srsly!!! Is just me? This thing is shouting wii U... or maybe I'm going crazy with all these rumors and NDA's conspiration stuff
More mystery = more hype (or craziness in your case). It's not shouting anything, besides TWEWY at least. By virtue of that if it's shouting anything it's 3DS, it'd be the safest bet business wise and they've already thrown a good bit of support behind that system.

But since it's not shouting anything it could be Wii U for all we know, or something else, or everything.

Nibel

They use this boxart on Amazon.de for Darksiders 2 Wii U

RJBaw.jpg

Source

Probably just a placeholder. I snapped a pic of this at Gamescom. Note the sentence below the cover!

The game was playable and seemed to be finished. Since it's going to be released in Winter 2012, I assume that Europe will see the Wii U around christmas. :)

D-e-f-

Banned
They use this boxart on Amazon.de for Darksiders 2 Wii U

Source

Probably just a placeholder. I snapped a pic of this at Gamescom. Note the sentence below the cover!

not probably but definitely a placeholder. these images have been around for months.

we know what the box designs will look like. publishers just haven't sent out EU versions to amazon.

Stewox

Banned
I think they shouldn't hump on general people's anticipation ofcourse everyone's hungry about mario but that's not the good way to do, first of all, the brand is being sucked out, second, there's time for other brands that waited long like Starfox and F-Zero.

I think i will not buy WiiU on release just because of mario.

Nibel

Look:

The 3DS and Wii U will stay here for at least 5 years. You'll get two NSMB games this year. You'll get at least one 3D Wii U Mario later. Yes, it seems like they are milking the franchise right now, but you won't see that much Mario games in the next few years. There won't be another Mario Kart for 3DS or Mario Tennis because they are released already.

Well I'm back from Gamescom (finally) and was able to play pretty much every WiiU game they had there. I'm going to do a more in depth write up to each title later but for now I'd like to share my impressions:

Gamepad:
This is not a tablet. It feels like an amazing but rather large controller. It's perfectly ergonomical, a joy to hold and the analog sticks are about comparable with those on the Classic Controller Pro. The Screen looks gorgeous, has a very high viewing angle, great black levels and the image is crisp and often times looked actually better than what was displayed on the TV. Gyro aiming worked like a charm, the screen itself was very responsive, and only slight touches were enough. Sliding, selecting etc all works very well.

Again, it's not a table, it's a classic controller with great ergonomics and a huge screen on it.

Pro Controller:
Buttons and Analog sticks are the same as the Gamepad. It's functionally identical with the Gamepad, sans all the screen features and no NFC reader/writer. It feels like a 360 controller, but with a much better d-pad (loved it) and better analog sticks. A shame that the triggers are digital though.
The analog stick placement becomes second nature after a few minutes of play and is really never a hassle.

Now on to Games:

ZombiU
Despite the horrible host that "guided" me through the demo, this game really left an impact on me. Graphics were mediocre and scream Launch Title, but I'd be lying if I'd say that the gameplay and Gamepad inclusion didn't impress me. Gyro Aiming was flawless and very precise, the inventory and lockpicking segments are very tense and should be even more so in the final game.
Another thing is, I feel like this is a game that only gets into it's own when played for more time. Losing a survivor in the demo felt like a non event, but I can imagine that with more investment it should become quite tragic to lose a character.
I also noticed, that carefull planning and strategic playstyles are rewarded as it allows you to (mostly) gain space control really fast. Shooting felt fine, even though a bit stiff and the snap on aiming is better gone in the final game.

I don't know how trustworthy this is, but the final game should be playable with a Wiimote/Nunchuck which to me would make this game even better.

Assassins Creed 3/ Single Player

The controls were great, graphics looked as good or better (my impression was that textures and framerate were better than on the PS3 version I also played, but I could be wrong) than PS3, and the game itself was a real joy to play. I'd say it's one of the best Launch/Launchwindow Games for the WiiU.

Batman Armored Edition:

Easily the worst game I've played during this years Gamescom, right up there with Tomb Raider. The demo at hand was a complete desaster. The infamous Unreal Engine 3 Texture loading problems were terrible, it took about 30 to 50 seconds for the floor and character textures and shaders to finally load, the controls were mapped one to one from a 360 controller and this includes inversion and sensitivity of the Batarang controls from the analog stick controlled 360/Ps3 version.
The batarang in particular was unplayable, and I was reminded of the first Wii Titles.

If this demo is any indication as to how Batman is going to look and play on the WiiU upon release then I really have to warn you to stay the fuck away from this turd. It's the kind of cheap cash in port that should be shunned. Even the presenters knew the game was trash.

Rayman Legends

Probably the most fun game I played this year. The Multiplayer gameplay is outstanding. We played 2 to 3 player and my Girlfriend started out using the gamepad and had a blast helping/sabotaging us. Out of all the WiiU games, this is by far the best. Controls were snappy, the image quality was just gorgeous on both the Gamepad and the 40 inch Samsung TV. Even standing half a meter away from it, the IQ was still great.

Tank Tank Tank

I didn't get to play much of this, but it seems like a fun arcade game that controlled just fine, allthough it wouldn't make a Dreamcast break a sweat in the graphics department.

Rabbids Land
Interestingly enough this one was kind of a let down as they only let people play the Guitar Hero/evading fireballs Minigame, which was fine and lots of fun, but not enough to judge the game on. If nothing else, they added a lot of subtle details to the Rabbids, like their mouths flabbing in the wind while riding along the highway.

It's perplexing to see Ubisoft really doing Nintendos work on promoting the WiiU, the social features (facebook like online features in Your Shape) and online components of the WiiU as well as highlighting the asymetrical Multiplayer aspect.
Kudos to Ubisoft which stunned me with a great and creative lineup of games and a real dedication to make great games available on Launch.

D-e-f-

Banned
ZombiU
I don't know how trustworthy this is, but the final game should be playable with a Wiimote/Nunchuck which to me would make this game even better.

Is that a guess or did someone say that to you?

I cannot for one second believe this as it would completely remove the "bug-out-bag" feature which is kinda important ...

MDX

ZombiU
Despite the horrible host that "guided" me through the demo, this game really left an impact on me. Graphics were mediocre and scream Launch Title, but I'd be lying if I'd say that the gameplay and Gamepad inclusion didn't impress me. Gyro Aiming was flawless and very precise, the inventory and lockpicking segments are very tense and should be even more so in the final game.
Another thing is, I feel like this is a game that only gets into it's own when played for more time. Losing a survivor in the demo felt like a non event, but I can imagine that with more investment it should become quite tragic to lose a character.
I also noticed, that carefull planning and strategic playstyles are rewarded as it allows you to (mostly) gain space control really fast. Shooting felt fine, even though a bit stiff and the snap on aiming is better gone in the final game.

Don't forget, your aiming improves the longer you play your character

I cannot for one second believe this as it would completely remove the "bug-out-bag" feature which is kinda important ...

I specifically asked one of the Ubisoft Employees if this is possible, and this was the response:

"Ja das fertige Spiel wird auch mit der Wiimote spielbar sein, aber wir konzentrieren uns hier auf die neue Steuerung."

which translates roughly to

"Yes, the final game will also be playable with the Wiimote, but we wanted to focus on the new control options for the demo."

I tried to push him further but didn't get any more answers. I also wasn't able to confirm if the guy was just a hired promoter, or if he indeed had inside knowledge of the game, as he dissapeared shortly afterwards.

Again take this with a grain of salt, but this is how a Ubisoft employee told it to me.

If true this would be amazing for me as I absolutely detest analog stick aiming.

Don't forget, your aiming improves the longer you play your character

From what I was able to tell, the upgrades have more to do with steadyness and reloadtimes. But I really hope the snap to target crap is gone or at least optional in the final game. It detracts from the atmosphere of survival.

Yeah, it felt like the Wii U is a Ubisoft and not a Nintendo console :lol

Especially with them having a rather large WiiU Lounge with a wide array of pick up and play games.

Also, they might just have outdone Nintendo when it comes to Gamepad implementations with their own games. Especially the Puppetmaster mode in JD4 was an absolute riot during the life presentations and made me laugh sadistically from the sidelines while this little 6 year old was selecting dance coreographies for two 25+ year old Nerds.

Rayman in particular is probably going to be one of the best party games ever created.
Yeah, it felt like the Wii U is a Ubisoft and not a Nintendo console :lol

Especially with them having a rather large WiiU Lounge with a wide array of pick up and play games.

Also, they might just have outdone Nintendo when it comes to Gamepad implementations with their own games. Especially the Puppetmaster mode in JD4 was an absolute riot during the life presentations and made me laugh sadistically from the sidelines while this little 6 year old was selecting dance coreographies for two 25+ year old Nerds.

Rayman in particular is probably going to be one of the best party games ever created.

MDX

I wonder how the sensor bars know which screen you want to aim at if you
you are playing with the wiimote and the gamepad is in front of you.
Maybe there is an off on switch for the gamepad.

Lyude77

Maybe they could use a both like Pikmin 3 to keep the inventory/map stuff? Just thinking. the raise the GamePad up to the screen would probably be weird though/

EDarkness

I asked one of the devs at E3 about it and he told me that ZombiU is a "core" game and so there wouldn't be any remote/nunchuck action going on. I told him flat out that there was no way I was going to pick up the game, but I would write about it. I guess we came to some understanding about it. He's a nice guy, and I hope his game does well. Though, it is possible that they changed their mind about it, but with no IR, I won't be picking up the game.

Nibel

I actually followed one of those Ubisoft dudes and found their hangout/sound stuff room

Yeah, I really tried to steal a Wii U, but it was impossible :lol
Interestingly enough: I didn't see the console itself anywhere.

D-e-f-

Banned
I specifically asked one of the Ubisoft Employees if this is possible, and this was the response:

"Ja das fertige Spiel wird auch mit der Wiimote spielbar sein, aber wir konzentrieren uns hier auf die neue Steuerung."

which translates roughly to

"Yes, the final game will also be playable with the Wiimote, but we wanted to focus on the new control options for the demo."

I tried to push him further but didn't get any more answers. I also wasn't able to confirm if the guy was just a hired promoter, or if he indeed had inside knowledge of the game, as he dissapeared shortly afterwards.

Again take this with a grain of salt, but this is how a Ubisoft employee told it to me.

Alright, I can attest to the accuracy of that translation :) (I'm a German myself only without the urge to torture myself with a 5 hour car ride in those temperatures basically just to see the Ubisoft games^^)

Still, that baffles me. Either he meant they're doing Wiimote aiming for the multiplayer stuff or the bug-out-bag mechanic is optional which is VERY weird. That would mean using the GamePad makes the game harder/more tense. I can't imagine they'd expect player to put the Wiimote/Nunchuck down just to fumble through the inventory and THEN pick them back up and be ready to aim (which would make it even harder). Although it is somewhat realistic in that if that were real you'd have to put the weapons down to sift through your backpack or someone's pockets.

Ultimately, this game does way more interesting stuff and has more ideas than Red Steel 1 ever had. So that's definitely a sure win for the Wii U launch already.

I asked one of the devs at E3 about it and he told me that ZombiU is a "core" game and so there wouldn't be any remote/nunchuck action going on. I told him flat out that there was no way I was going to pick up the game, but I would write about it. I guess we came to some understanding about it. He's a nice guy, and I hope his game does well. Though, it is possible that they changed their mind about it, but with no IR, I won't be picking up the game.

Wow you're THAT crazy about IR aiming?

I actually followed one of those Ubisoft dudes and found their hangout/sound stuff room

Yeah, I really tried to steal a Wii U, but it was impossible :lol
Interestingly enough: I didn't see the console itself anywhere.

Lol nice try^^ The Wii U was allways there, but behind darkened glass and you could only see the faint outlines. The glass was put there to prohibit images being taken (it reflected the flash) and it's too dark to take a pic through it.

Nibel

Lol nice try^^ The Wii U was allways there, but behind darkened glass and you could only see the faint outlines. The glass was put there to prohibit images being taken (it reflected the flash) and it's too dark to take a pic through it.

So I think we can assume that the console will look slightly different at launch - yes, we knew this before, but I take this as some kind of confirmation.

Alright, I can attest to the accuracy of that translation :) (I'm a German myself only without the urge to torture myself with a 5 hour car ride in those temperatures basically just to see the Ubisoft games^^)

Still, that baffles me. Either he meant they're doing Wiimote aiming for the multiplayer stuff or the bug-out-bag mechanic is optional which is VERY weird. That would mean using the GamePad makes the game harder/more tense. I can't imagine they'd expect player to put the Wiimote/Nunchuck down just to fumble through the inventory and THEN pick them back up and be ready to aim (which would make it even harder). Although it is somewhat realistic in that if that were real you'd have to put the weapons down to sift through your backpack or someone's pockets.

Ultimately, this game does way more interesting stuff and has more ideas than Red Steel 1 ever had. So that's definitely a sure win for the Wii U launch already.

To be fair, comparing this with RS1 is completely unfair. Outside of both being Nintendo launch games from Ubisoft, even the demo of ZombiU displays much higher production values and proficiencies than RS1 ever could.
The controls work, and the Gyro aiming/switching to gamepad should become standard for WiiU online sniper rifles. It would solve so many balancing issues with sniper rifles in online multiplayer.

I would imagine that playing the game with the Wiimote would also change the UI to an overlay, letting you use the survival bag in real time by selecting via the pointer.

5 hours is nothing btw, I've been in this damn EuroNight Train for 13 hours today, with 4 obnoxious teens who got drunk and put havoc until I got up and told them to shut up or their toothbrush will have a hard time finding teeth in the morning.

Seriously, after 4 days of Gamescom, over 80km walked in just 4 days, standing in line for hours, and then these brats think their mysogynistic jokes and pretentious bragging about their "supposed" flamboyant sexual life was the last I needed.

Still, I'd take 4 Viennese Teens bragging about their fictional sex adventures over having to endure Batman Armored Edition again.

DrWong

Since it's going to be released in Winter 2012, I assume that Europe will see the Wii U around christmas. :)
On Amazon.fr there's a release date now on the Wii U page: December 21.

Also, found a page (new, wasn't there last time I checked) for 007 Legends > http://www.amazon.fr/dp/ACTIVISION/

I will not buy WiiU on release because there won't be anything else except mario and I want other franchises how can't you understand this.
Sorry, but [checking launch & launch window games]... it makes no sense.

D-e-f-

Banned
So I think we can assume that the console will look slightly different at launch - yes, we knew this before, but I take this as some kind of confirmation.

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe they units they had there were opened or had different casings. They put up the huge images of the system and controller in stores and on their website. I doubt they're gonna change anything and then hide the old ones behind dark glass for that reason.

Roo

Hopefully. I just can't stand Wii U's case design. It worked for Wii but its time to move on. I still can't make the conection tho. What makes you think there's gonna be a sligth change in the console?

I cant see the console design being changed, but I still think we could see the pro controller get added analog triggers. Yea im dreamin..

D-e-f-

Banned
On Amazon.fr there's a release date now on the Wii U page: December 21.

Also, found a page (new, wasn't there last time I checked) for 007 Legends > http://www.amazon.fr/dp/ACTIVISION/

That is VERY old and also very unnecessary information since it is 100% unrealistic. The Wii U will not launch 3 days before Christmas Eve. No point even bringing this up.

The 007 stuff was rumored time and time again as well. I think it's one of those silly Activision secrets everybody already knows about.

I will not buy WiiU on release because there won't be anything else except mario and I want other franchises how can't you understand this.

I can't because your previous wording made it sound completely different ("not buying it BECAUSE OF Mario").

Also, it's just wrong. How is there nothing besides Mario? We know there are a ton more games at launch.

EDarkness

Wow you're THAT crazy about IR aiming?

There is no way I'm going back to dual analog. It's pretty simple for me. PC (mouse/keyboard) is good so no problem there, but dual analog? No way. I said a long time that if developers don't put in IR (for FPS and TPS games) they won't be getting my money. I pretty much told every developer making games for the Wii U this. The guys working on Assassin's Creed 3 told me that if I could come up with a good scheme for the remote/nunchuck they would see about getting it in there. But I didn't take them up on that offer, because I figured I wouldn't buy the game anyway so it'd be a waste. However, there are lots of Wii games out there with good IR controls, so there's no work to be done in trying to get the scheme working.

Gearbox told me that they're considering adding in IR for those who like the scheme for Aliens. I want to play Aliens, but I'll happily skip if there's no IR in the game. There are too many games for me to play already and if they don't care, then I won't care skipping their game.

Sheroking

Look:

The 3DS and Wii U will stay here for at least 5 years. You'll get two NSMB games this year. You'll get at least one 3D Wii U Mario later. Yes, it seems like they are milking the franchise right now, but you won't see that much Mario games in the next few years. There won't be another Mario Kart for 3DS or Mario Tennis because they are released already.

NSMB2 on 3DS simply fits a timeline (2006 on DS, 2009 on Wii, 2012 on 3DS), it's really only NSMBU that feels forced or "milking" to a degree that's different than they have in the last 10+ years and three consoles.

But it only makes business sense to launch a console with your best selling franchise.

Phazon

A few weeks ago at a post e3 event for press a Nintendo rep also told me that the console was still not final, so they could still slightly change. :)

NSMB2 on 3DS simply fits a timeline (2006 on DS, 2009 on Wii, 2012 on 3DS), it's really only NSMBU that feels forced or "milking" to a degree that's different than they have in the last 10+ years and three consoles.

But it only makes business sense to launch a console with your best selling franchise.
NSMBU probably feels forced to some but it looks like it could be the best one out of the series.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Well I'm back from Gamescom (finally) and was able to play pretty much every WiiU game they had there. I'm going to do a more in depth write up to each title later but for now I'd like to share my impressions:

Gamepad:
This is not a tablet. It feels like an amazing but rather large controller. It's perfectly ergonomical, a joy to hold and the analog sticks are about comparable with those on the Classic Controller Pro. The Screen looks gorgeous, has a very high viewing angle, great black levels and the image is crisp and often times looked actually better than what was displayed on the TV. Gyro aiming worked like a charm, the screen itself was very responsive, and only slight touches were enough. Sliding, selecting etc all works very well.

Again, it's not a table, it's a classic controller with great ergonomics and a huge screen on it.

Pro Controller:
Buttons and Analog sticks are the same as the Gamepad. It's functionally identical with the Gamepad, sans all the screen features and no NFC reader/writer. It feels like a 360 controller, but with a much better d-pad (loved it) and better analog sticks. A shame that the triggers are digital though.
The analog stick placement becomes second nature after a few minutes of play and is really never a hassle.

Now on to Games:

ZombiU

Assassins Creed 3/ Single Player

The controls were great, graphics looked as good or better (my impression was that textures and framerate were better than on the PS3 version I also played, but I could be wrong) than PS3, and the game itself was a real joy to play. I'd say it's one of the best Launch/Launchwindow Games for the WiiU.

Batman Armored Edition:

Easily the worst game I've played during this years Gamescom, right up there with Tomb Raider. The demo at hand was a complete desaster. The infamous Unreal Engine 3 Texture loading problems were terrible, it took about 30 to 50 seconds for the floor and character textures and shaders to finally load, the controls were mapped one to one from a 360 controller and this includes inversion and sensitivity of the Batarang controls from the analog stick controlled 360/Ps3 version.
The batarang in particular was unplayable, and I was reminded of the first Wii Titles.

If this demo is any indication as to how Batman is going to look and play on the WiiU upon release then I really have to warn you to stay the fuck away from this turd. It's the kind of cheap cash in port that should be shunned. Even the presenters knew the game was trash.

Rayman Legends

Probably the most fun game I played this year. The Multiplayer gameplay is outstanding. We played 2 to 3 player and my Girlfriend started out using the gamepad and had a blast helping/sabotaging us. Out of all the WiiU games, this is by far the best. Controls were snappy, the image quality was just gorgeous on both the Gamepad and the 40 inch Samsung TV. Even standing half a meter away from it, the IQ was still great.

Tank Tank Tank

I didn't get to play much of this, but it seems like a fun arcade game that controlled just fine, allthough it wouldn't make a Dreamcast break a sweat in the graphics department.

Rabbids Land
Interestingly enough this one was kind of a let down as they only let people play the Guitar Hero/evading fireballs Minigame, which was fine and lots of fun, but not enough to judge the game on. If nothing else, they added a lot of subtle details to the Rabbids, like their mouths flabbing in the wind while riding along the highway.

It's perplexing to see Ubisoft really doing Nintendos work on promoting the WiiU, the social features (facebook like online features in Your Shape) and online components of the WiiU as well as highlighting the asymetrical Multiplayer aspect.
Kudos to Ubisoft which stunned me with a great and creative lineup of games and a real dedication to make great games available on Launch.

To summarize: Frenchies rox :sunglasses:

DrWong

That is VERY old and also very unnecessary information since it is 100% unrealistic. The Wii U will not launch 3 days before Christmas Eve. No point even bringing this up.

The 007 stuff was rumored time and time again as well. I think it's one of those silly Activision secrets everybody already knows about.
Coooool man. Cool. I post it, GAF evaluates it. Thanks.

Also, the Wii U release date on amazon.fr is "very" new. The same for the 007 page. Yeah nothing "really" new. Yes it's just the French Amazon, it's just Amazon. I know that...

Need my taichi now. grmmfff...

To summarize: Frenchies rox :sunglasses:

With this lineup, Ubisoft is really kicking ass across plattforms this year.

AC3 (which plays amazing and looks great playing it)
AC3 Liberation
ZombiU
Rayman Legends
Far Cry 3
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land

They basically have the console space on lock down with the biggest variety of games this year.

Sheroking

NSMBU probably feels forced to some but it looks like it could be the best one out of the series.

I don't disagree, but it's presence a few months after NSMB2 is tough to justify from a creative standpoint.

I wonder if Nintendo regrets focusing on Mario 3D Land instead of NSMB2 (I know they're made by different groups, but still). Releasing NSMB2 would have had greater sales impact on the 3DS in the holiday season, and releasing 3D Land and NSMBU in the space of a few months feels a lot less redundant. 3D Mario as a summer release makes more sense as well.

I don't disagree, but it's presence a few months after NSMB2 is tough to justify from a creative standpoint.

I wonder if Nintendo regrets focusing on Mario 3D Land instead of NSMB2 (I know they're made by different groups, but still). Releasing NSMB2 would have had greater sales impact on the 3DS in the holiday season, and releasing 3D Land and NSMBU in the space of a few months feels a lot less redundant. 3D Mario as a summer release makes more sense as well.
Arent there 2 different teams between NSMBU and NSMB2?

Which I acknowledged in my two sentence post (how could you miss it)?

But Nintendo's development seems to be more akin to cobbling together staff than having individual internal studios. I bet they could have prioritized one over the other.
How did I miss it 0_0?

I was saying that because people rather compare NSMB2 to NSMBU instead of comparing NSMBU to the Wii version. They're from the same series yeah but I find that comparison kinda off. Still its a legit one nonetheless I suppose.

daakusedo

I don't know what to expect with nsmbu but like replaying nsmb ds after wii and shaking the damn console to spin, after nsmb2, I will totally jump in holes and go in tiny spaces hoping to trigger coins to appear. That's mechanical now.

D-e-f-

Banned
Coooool man. Cool. I post it, GAF evaluates it. Thanks.

Also, the Wii U release date on amazon.fr is "very" new. The same for the 007 page. Yeah nothing "really" new. Yes it's just the French Amazon, it's just Amazon. I know that...

Need my taichi now. grmmfff...

Sorry, I think my comment was a little douchey. I was hungry, if that's an excuse.

Though the date on amazon may be new but we've had that "Dec 21st" thing months ago someplace else. I think I may have reacted similarly back then because that date is so extremely unlikely, it's not even worth looking at to me.

December 21st is the last possible Friday in the month of December (Friday = entertainment media release day in Europe) for the Wii U to release. Retailers put that in as a placeholder 'cause they know it's coming before the Holiday and Nintendo hasn't specified a date so they choose the latest reasonably possible one (for other, more minor stuff they usually straight up enter Dec. 31st).

I guarantee 100% that the Wii U will not launch on December 21st simply because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Log4Girlz

mimho

I wonder what Nintendo was thinking when they where developing the Wii "You know what, nobody really wants a huge leap in power so lets just let Sony and Microsoft do all that while we make the Wii an overclocked GameCube"? lol.

I agree, the people expecting the PS4 and Xbox 720 to be 20x more powerful like the PS3 and 360 will be very disappointed, the only huge graphical jump like that will be the Wii U from the Wii, and that's 30x more powerful.

It says it's coming out with the X360/PS3/PC versions so that helps the October release even more.

Why "wondering" when Iwata itself have told why this happen?

Summarizing it was like "Why joining a meaningless "RawPawa" fight, that was to be really gore? Better try a new way to "enjoy" videogame, and be the only one that did that. Finding a "blue ocean" without competitors"

http://strategyatheinz.blogspot.it/2011/04/nintendos-wii-swimming-in-blue-ocean.html

Now we know that was a clever choice.

Will be the same story with the WiiU? Who know.....

But this time seems that the competitors have more "respect" for the idea, and are already on the same "path" (not waiting years), and maybe the ocean is not blue anymore...

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/iwata-says-wii-u-is-not-blue-ocean/

DrWong

Sorry, I think my comment was a little douchey. I was hungry, if that's an excuse.

Though the date on amazon may be new but we've had that "Dec 21st" thing months ago someplace else. I think I may have reacted similarly back then because that date is so extremely unlikely, it's not even worth looking at to me.

December 21st is the last possible Friday in the month of December (Friday = entertainment media release day in Europe) for the Wii U to release. Retailers put that in as a placeholder 'cause they know it's coming before the Holiday and Nintendo hasn't specified a date so they choose the latest reasonably possible one (for other, more minor stuff they usually straight up enter Dec. 31st).

I guarantee 100% that the Wii U will not launch on December 21st simply because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
It's ok.

I agree with you about the release date (the other place was Amazon.de I think...) validity on these websites. My post wasn't intended to give a "real" or "major" news, just to let people know about - I agree - useless stuff.

That said, an early December launch in Europe is still something possible if Nintendo has some shipements issues (deciding to go first in Jp & US for example), as well as an October launch even if the November hypothesis is more credible.

[Edit]didn't see it here: a new Project CARS trailer with probably PC footage but it's nice to have, at the end, a noticeable Wii U logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom