• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

For those that have gotten to play the ZombiU how viable do you think it would be to play the game with the Wii Zapper attachment and the GamePad connected (as shown in the orignal Wii U reveal)?

Using the nunchuck to walk and the pointer to look around and shoot. Then holding the zapper with one hand (letting it drop a little) while the other is using the gamepad/bag as orignally intended. That would actually mimic real actions even more in the type of situations they're trying to presented. All other options could be still be on the controller but this is just so pointer aiming/shooting could be done. Could the game be playable without any issues?

Also no need to swing the controller for melee. Just use the buttons.

Paul Gale was the first to talk about PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. He definitely had legitimate information early on, but I'm unsure if he has any current information. In regards to the aforementioned game, he continues to hint at several elements in the game, but these hints are so vague that it's difficult to determine whether or not he really has solid information.

That said, this carries that same ambiguity. It actually makes no difference whether or not we pay attention to this latest development; a 3-D Mario title is hardly surprising. However, if he were to post specifics, that would be a different story.

Ever heard the phrase even a blind squirrel finds a nut? same with this guy and Pacther when they get one right they cling to it....

alfolla

Neo Member
Ok, Alfolla, I'm gonna save your ass, but not for free...You owe me one! :D

"http://http://www.theverge.com/gam...opment-cost-not-a-huge-investment-plans-more"

UbiSoft:
"We are not talking about games today, like we were spending on Ghost Recon or Assassin's Creed," Ubisoft execs explained. "So they are much smaller in terms of cost. As we've always said, when there is such innovation, the need is not to have big a production value but to concentrate on the innovation. This is what we are trying on Rayman and on ZombiU."

UbiSoft states that Wii U ports run them "less than a million Euro", while suggesting that though original Wii U games are a bit more, there are still significantly less than big-budget titles like Assassin's Creed 3.

Exactly what i was referring about.

In that specific occasion, Ubisoft made pubblic the whole budget they allocate to Wii U's projects.
Came out that Zombi U development costs something among 2 to 4 milion euros.
Not a big budget at all.

Exactly what i was referring about.

In that specific occasion, Ubisoft made pubblic the whole budget they allocate to Wii U's projects.
Not a big budget at all.

Would it really cost them that much more money to make better wall/object textures? I was surprised by the lack of detail in the recent demo....

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Anyone know off hand the time between the last Nintendo Direct announcement and the Nintendo Direct itself?

Just trying to see if there is still time this week for one..

That seems ludicrously low. If that was true, why all the hand-wringing over 360/PS3-level budgets being unsustainable, putting developers out of business, and killing anything that isn't a AAA guaranteed success?

Anyone know off hand the time between the last Nintendo Direct announcement and the Nintendo Direct itself?

Just trying to see if there is still time this week for one..
Well we have 6 days left this week. And then next week and then the month is over. If we don get anything oh well..
tumblr_lrjme2g33x1r0mhfro1_500.gif

What I would like to know is what day in september did Nintendo have their fall conference for the Wii?

schuelma

So crazy!

I love when they do this - announce big things out of nowhere. I think we can expect ND this/next week? :)

We should get one if they follow their schedule.

I suppose it is possible they could hold back until next month to coincide with a formal conference, but I think that is unlikely.

D-e-f-

Banned
So crazy!

I love when they do this - announce big things out of nowhere. I think we can expect ND this/next week? :)

->

NDs happen towards the end of the week (usually on the 21st or 22nd). The pre-E3 Sunday thing was an exception because of E3.

So it should be on the 22nd (Wednesday). That would fit the pattern.

October 21, 2011 (Friday)
[Japan Exclusive ... their "holiday special," if you will] December 27, 2011 (Tuesday)
February 22, 2012 (Wednesday)
[Korean Exclusive] April 14, 2012 (Saturday)
April 21, 2012 (Saturday)
[Pre-E3 Special] June 3, 2012 (Sunday)
June 21, 2012 (Thursday)

the pattern suggests a focus on the 21st or 22nd, preferably as late in the week as possible, depending on what day of the week the date falls on (that's why the April ND was on a Saturday, I guess)

So August 22 is a Wednesday. An announcement would be made on Monday or Tuesday at the absolute latest.

cand

More mystery = more hype (or craziness in your case). It's not shouting anything, besides TWEWY at least. By virtue of that if it's shouting anything it's 3DS, it'd be the safest bet business wise and they've already thrown a good bit of support behind that system.

But since it's not shouting anything it could be Wii U for all we know, or something else, or everything.

Don't know. Having one 3D screen and one 2D screen could be a problem for the gameplay. I mean, you have to constantly look from one screen to another quickly. Maybe this could cause nausea since you're always changing the focus. They could change the gameplay to fit just one screen but to keep the fresh and unique gameplay the U seems a better fit IMO.

Tim-E

I enjoy looking forward to Nintendo Directs several times a year much more than looking forward to E3, a show that no one puts any more effort into anymore.

D-e-f-

Banned
ibnun1NlIjiW58.gif

So this means we could get the announcement in the next few days; maybe even next few hours if you're correct D-e-f!

assuming they're even producing another ND right now instead of focusing on an actual event where they invite press and get more hands on impressions out there (like with the Wii launch). though one could also argue that was a time before they did these "experience tours" for consumers. press-impressions might be less important to them now. in that case a ND this week would be more likely.

you could make arguments for all possibilities at this point. Nintendo is THAT unpredictable.

total nuthouse. :)

schuelma

Possible new Nintendo Direct!

iuVGqNVB3iaJz.gif

Have you guys made any educated guesses as to what it could be about?

Obviously it would focus heavily on 3DS.

I would be surprised, but not shocked, if Nintendo completely ignored Wii U again. Its possible because they might want to save everything for the September conference, but I just can't imagine they won't let 3rd parties at least start revealing stuff since the launch is like 3 months away in Japan.

I would be surprised, but not shocked, if Nintendo completely ignored Wii U again. Its possible because they might want to save everything for the September conference, but I just can't imagine they won't let 3rd parties at least start revealing stuff since the launch is like 3 months away in Japan.

It'll probably be about 3DS

September conference will belong to Wii U
That hurts so bad....it was just about 3DS..But thats the most logical answer I suppose..

Aguila

#ICONIC
After learning that the only upcoming game that I wanted for the 3DS has been delayed, I have no interest in 3DS news anymore :/

But I guess I'm excited for the Iwata hair flips.

MDX

Possible new Nintendo Direct!

iuVGqNVB3iaJz.gif

Have you guys made any educated guesses as to what it could be about?

iuVGqNVB3iaJz.gif
iuVGqNVB3iaJz.gif
iuVGqNVB3iaJz.gif

Date & price.
They need to get pre-orders to ramp u.

Launch window games from activision, capcom and some others.

Renaming of Sing &project p 100

D-e-f-

Banned

I don't believe that. The last one was purely 3DS focused with the XL announcement. I see them starting the Wii U machine with this one, though definitely not a full blow-out of info. Some more concrete details on Pikmin 3's singleplayer, maybe a final name reveal for Project P-100 with a new trailer or new features, announcing Black Ops II, maybe another look at Miiverse integration in NSMBU or another game to tease us. I could see a trailer for that Wii U game that they decided not to show at E3 or even a teaser with "more on that next time" or "at our hands-on event for the media".

There would of course be talk of "hey, the 3DS XL is out with New Mario 2 with DLC details and some more talk about Paper Mario since that's the only big title left for this year in the West. Maybe coupled with a MH4G or MH4 coming our way-announcement and a new title announced.

schuelma

Date & price.

Remember Nintendo Directs originate out of Japan. So I expect Japanese 3rd party announcements if anything.

Meelow

Banned

It'll probably be about 3DS

September conference will belong to Wii U

I'm not going to lie, if it's all about 3DS I will get so mad, I have a 3DS and I know what's good coming out this year for the 3DS so I don't care for new 3DS news, I want Wii U news!

Aguila

#ICONIC
Date & price.

I don't believe that. The last one was purely 3DS focused with the XL announcement. I see them starting the Wii U machine with this one, though definitely not a full blow-out of info. Some more concrete details on Pikmin 3's singleplayer, maybe a final name reveal for Project P-100 with a new trailer or new features, announcing Black Ops II, maybe another look at Miiverse integration in NSMBU or another game to tease us. I could see a trailer for that Wii U game that they decided not to show at E3 or even a teaser with "more on that next time" or "at our hands-on event for the media".

So I expect Japanese 3rd party announcements if anything.

Now, this is what I wanted to hear/read :]

That seems ludicrously low. If that was true, why all the hand-wringing over 360/PS3-level budgets being unsustainable, putting developers out of business, and killing anything that isn't a AAA guaranteed success?

5 million dollars is ludicrously low?! I wish I had your kind of money :). Yes, compared to Gears of War or Uncharted that's a bit low (not ludicrously), but compared to the average game that's pricey, especially compared to the dev cost of the average Wii game. Now, other types of games can be more expensive - I dunno what it cost, but Final Fantasy XIII had a team of over 300 people working on it at one point - that's a cost of $15 million per year assuming an average salary of $50,000.

schuelma

I'm not going to lie, if it's all about 3DS I will get so mad, I have a 3DS and I know what's good coming out this year for the 3DS so I don't care for new 3DS news, I want Wii U news!

I do think Wii U news is likely, but there will still be a heavy 3DS presence I'm sure.

Sheroking

Aw man, Wiimote and nunchuck combo for Zombi U would be amazing. I'm so glad that developers are not ditching those controllers.

Developers (aside from Nintendo) seem to be completely ditching those controllers.

Is there even a single third party game that supports the use of them? I know there are none where it's the primary control method.

Meelow

Banned
I do think Wii U news is likely, but there will still be a heavy 3DS presence I'm sure.

Oh their better be Wii U news, It's time for Nintendo to start hyping the Wii U badly, if they hadn't focused only on launch at E3 and did what they did for the Wii and 3DS at E3 2006 & 2010 than maybe they wouldn't be in the mess of "is the Wii U getting any hype?".

are you sure he meant yards and not feet in that 30 yard for the gamepad range,,,

ok perspective time.

30 yards, 90 feet. most streets are 50' wide(the road not just the pavement) most houses in suburbs are 25' back from street... so in the instance of where i live

i can have the wiiu in my living room. and can be on the steps in the yard across the street and using the wiiu gamepad.

most houses are ~42' long (14yards)x~28'wide

30 feet still imo would be great. would -essentially- enable the gamepad to be used throughout most of a house.

I completely agree. I asked him specifically how many feet but he responded in yards... He then started saying that it was in a test environment with no walls or outside interference... and then stated that it was meant for use in a large livingroom and that walls would be a big factor in range. Frequency and bandwidth affect your range. Hi frequency shortens bandwidth... You can have faster speeds but a limited range. Low frequency give you a much greater range by lengthening the bandwidth, but data transfers at a slower speed.

for reference here's chart of approximations for wifi signals...

Protocol Frequency Speed Indoor Operating Range Max (approx.)
802.11b 2.4 GHz 11Mbps 150-300 feet
802.11g 2.4 GHz 54Mbps 100-200 feet (due to 54 Mbps rate)
802.11a 5.0-5.8 GHz 54Mbps 80 feet

It could be that Nintendo's Ni-Fi uses a sweet spot for data tranfer and range but the frequency has trouble with walls... who knows...

Sheroking

Date & price.

This stuff would be fall conference, not Nintendo Direct.

Likely 3DS stuff. Quick layout and release information for 3DS and Wii stuff in the holiday season. Maybe a date for the Wii U event.

Tim-E

I won't lie, if all it did was show a release date for Animal Crossing in the US, I'd be perfectly content after watching it. I need my fix.

I feel exactly like this :/

Last conference was so full of 3DS I dont know what more they have to show. They showed the games. Last week they gave us a release/delays for all of those games. The 3DSXL is out, In which the last conference started with reggie talking about it within a minuet. NSMB2 is out which was simutaneously revealed with the 3DSXL. We saw footage of all these games at E3 in detail enough to keep us satisfied. I dont want a WiiU blowout because thats "supposed" to be for fall but I want this conference on the topic of WiiU. Come on Nintendo treat us fans..plz?

Meelow

Banned
I feel exactly like this :/

Last conference was so full of 3DS I dont know what more they have to show. They showed the games. Last week they gave us a release/delays for all of those games. The 3DSXL is out, In which the last conference started with reggie talking about it within a minuet. NSMB2 is out which was simutaneously revealed with the 3DSXL. We saw footage of all these games at E3 in detail enough to keep us satisfied. I dont want a WiiU blowout because thats "supposed" to be for fall but I want this conference on the topic of WiiU. Come on Nintendo treat us fans..plz?

I agree, I'd be happy if they talked about the Virtual Console, the Wii U menu more, some things like that, announce a few new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom