• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it in the other thread, but Iwata is implying that the online network that XBL and PSN is not suitable for the suitable-for-all-ages and enjoyable-for-all-skill-levels image that Nintendo tries to maintain with their systems. They are pursuing designs that move them towards the goal of attaining high connectivity and creating a long-term social network infrastructure that will not only exist for Wii U, but for future consoles as well, with this factor in mind. It is a large undertaking and it isn't going to be built overnight.

Which basically means they want to find an alternative to voice chat, since voice chat cannot be censored to be family friendly. And they are ignoring the fact that XBox Live has different player skill levels you could select to be matched with - it's been a while since I used Live, but I seem to remember there being a selection to be matched only with casual gamers, a section for hardcore players, and a section for kids.

No matter what, the fact that they are looking for an alternative to what everyone really likes and has been working since the dawn of online gaming shows flawed thinking.

wsippel

Banned
Which basically means they want to find an alternative to voice chat, since voice chat cannot be censored to be family friendly. And they are ignoring the fact that XBox Live has different player skill levels you could select to be matched with - it's been a while since I used Live, but I seem to remember there being a selection to be matched only with casual gamers, a section for hardcore players, and a section for kids.

No matter what, the fact that they are looking for an alternative to what everyone really likes and has been working since the dawn of online gaming shows flawed thinking.
And horse carts worked since the dawn of transportation, so why invent cars? "The better is the enemy of the good." Will whatever Nintendo tries to create actually be better in the end? We'll see about that. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't even try and just copy what's already there.

rpmurphy

Oh, there's always matchmaking, but I was rather thinking more towards "communities" like on Steam and what Nintendo tried to do with Mario Kart 7, which was initially proposed as an OS feature for the 3DS.

IGN wrote a negative Nintendo piece and...it's actually good?

How Nintendo Lost E3 2012

I think it touches upon a lot of the conclusions most of us settled about why the conference was so disappointing. Only thing I would correct is that Black Ops 2 is 99% confirmed for coming and EA is also showing support

Redford

aka Cabbie
IGN wrote a negative Nintendo piece and...it's actually good?

How Nintendo Lost E3 2012

I think it touches upon a lot of the conclusions most of us settled about why the conference was so disappointing. Only thing I would correct is that Black Ops 2 is 99% confirmed for coming and EA is also showing support

It was a good article, only reason I stopped reading it was because I've heard enough of that now. Kind of ready to move on. :p

Because they were 100% about the 3DS and look where that got them.

So how would being under-confident help Wii U? If you're refering to the price they really have no choice for the console.

Touch

"E3 2004, the first year Reggie Fils-Aime stood on stage, marked one of Nintendo’s greatest reveals, as it revealed the first Twilight Princess trailer. The game wouldn’t arrive until 2006, but not a single Nintendo fan cared. Knowing that game was coming was reason enough to look forward to the years to come."

Pretty much this and the lack of anything to what they are doing regarding online. If they would have just shown 2 "in the works" titles like Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid, new ip etc and basically anything on how Nintendo Network will work the conference would have been one of the best. But...

Dr.Hadji

Blah blah blah, hype hype hype. I don't buy my consoles based on hype. A Zelda U trailer that might or might not show the graphic style of a game that is coming out 2-3 years later won't get me to buy a console this fall.

I don't really think that's feasible. Let's say your screen name will be "Touch" - it's highly unlikely that you'll be the only user with that screen name. How would anybody be able to find you? Now, if Nintendo thinks this through (and I doubt they will), the system could work similar to a BattleTag and create a unique "friend code" based on your screen name. Something like "Touch3664" - the code should include some sort of hash to deal with typos, so just "Touch3" won't do. But that would be much easier to remember than the friend codes we have right now.

Of course, Nintendo could just make it possible to link your account id to your various social media websites, like twitter and facebook. Then it'd be stupidly easy to add a person who's a friend on one of those services as a friend on the Nintendo Network.

Terrell

Friend codes wouldn't be bad if you just had one and it carried across all Nintendo systems past and present...

Where have you been that you haven't heard anything about the 3DS?

I don't really think that's feasible. Let's say your screen name will be "Touch" - it's highly unlikely that you'll be the only user with that screen name. How would anybody be able to find you? Now, if Nintendo thinks this through (and I doubt they will), the system could work similar to a BattleTag and create a unique "friend code" based on your screen name. Something like "Touch3664" - the code should include some sort of hash to deal with typos, so just "Touch3" won't do. But that would be much easier to remember than the friend codes we have right now.

On top of the social media links (which I totally think will happen and not JUST for finding friends), you could also have a place on the system to search for names and Miis of people you've played games with online if you forgot their screen name and just add them from there.

Blah blah blah, hype hype hype. I don't buy my consoles based on hype. A Zelda U trailer that might or might not show the graphic style of a game that is coming out 2-3 years later won't get me to buy a console this fall.

You aren't the target audience of Nintendo's E3 press conference then if you don't care that it flopped. Really, one of the most important audiences was the third party developers, and they saw a conference that killed everybody's hype, including the press. They will now be less likely to step forward and fill out the Wii-U's library, and will be more likely to step back and wait to see how the thing sells, potentially causing the bad sales they think might happen.

wsippel

Banned
Of course, Nintendo could just make it possible to link your account id to your various social media websites, like twitter and facebook. Then it'd be stupidly easy to add a person who's a friend on one of those services as a friend on the Nintendo Network.
They could have done something like that on 3DS - but they didn't. And it was so incredibly obvious. The most obvious approach would be a custom URI. Something like "nin://fc/1234-5678-9012" to add that friend code to your list from the built in browser, or "nin://eshop/1234567" to link to eShop content. Extremely easy to implement and would work on all current and future Nintendo devices. I get the feeling that there simply are no architects worth their salt working at the Nintendo Network Service Development department. And yes, that department actually exists... :/

Touch

Just make the screen name semi unique, where you can choose whatever name you want as long as it's not taken and you can change it at any time as long as you change it to something that's not taken. The friend code would just bind the account together but actually be behind the scenes. I'm pretty sure some online accounts work this way in some way, shape or form.

So how would being under-confident help Wii U? If you're refering to the price they really have no choice for the console.

Not under-confident but rather realizing that launch can go either way. With the launch line up they have, its really a question if people actually want Nintendoland; want another NSMB months after the last one.

Possibly most important that not showing future announcements was really the way to go.

Confident in the product but not in the future that nobody can say for sure where it is going.

wsippel

Banned
Just make the screen name semi unique, where you can choose whatever name you want as long as it's not taken and you can change it at any time as long as you change it to something that's not taken. The friend code would just bind the account together but actually be behind the scenes. I'm pretty sure some online accounts work this way in some way, shape or form.
That's a stupid idea, which is why Valve and Blizzard don't use that approach. Still can't get over the fact that Microsoft did this, and it's even more stupid that Sony just copied it. No user should ever have to think about a name. And there's no such thing as "semi-unique". The name either has to be unique (bad) or not (good).

AzaK

This is what I thought they should do. And even if my generated friend code is Touch243, my name can still be Touch. And in fact I want my friends to be able to see me as NeoGafDude if they want. So many of my 3DS friends are from here but their 3DS handles are different to the ones here.

They could have done something like that on 3DS - but they didn't. And it was so incredibly obvious. The most obvious approach would be a custom URI. Something like "nin://fc/1234-5678-9012" to add that friend code to your list from the built in browser, or "nin://eshop/1234567" to link to eShop content. Extremely easy to implement and would work on all current and future Nintendo devices. I get the feeling that there simply are no architects worth their salt working at the Nintendo Network Service Development department. And yes, that department actually exists... :/

Let's hope they do it. They did say that MiiVerse etc is all going to be browser based so we might see some cool stuff.

wsippel

Banned
Let's hope they do it. They did say that MiiVerse etc is all going to be browser based so we might see some cool stuff.
The best thing about URIs is the extensibility. Assuming Nintendo at some point introduces public user profiles, they could extend the system so that "nin://fc/1234-5678-9012" only shows the profile, while "nin://fc/1234-5678-9012/add" would add it. It would also be very easy to add aliases, so "nin://fc/1234-5678-9012" and "nin://fc/AzaK8784" could link to the same profile. On the eShop side, you could do things like "nin://eshop/1234567/download", or "nin://eshop/1234567/trailer1" to skip the overview and go directly to the download or the first trailer. Or you could do app and game specific links like "nin://netflix/CSI/latest" to directly link to the latest episode of CSI on Netflix across Nintendo devices. Once the infrastructure is implemented and added to the SDK, the possibilities are nearly endless, and the system could be extended and updated without having to issue firmware updates. Will we actually see anything like that? I heavily doubt it.

Touch

That's a stupid idea, which is why Valve and Blizzard don't use that approach. Still can't get over the fact that Microsoft did this, and it's even more stupid that Sony just copied it. No user should ever have to think about a name. And there's no such thing as "semi-unique". The name either has to be unique (bad) or not (good).
It just seems like everything I do online uses a unique name so I have come use to it. Twitter, all the forums, LoL, WoW, XBL, PSN, hell even my irc nick. All unique. I don't have a problem continuing to pick unique names as long as they can be changed. It would be awesome if all of life worked like Steam but it's just not going to happen.

sfried

I was thinking that Nintendo's identifyer would be more along the lines of Twitter: A screen name that would appear, and then the hash tag that follows the @. Friend Codes are essentially the hash tag part, while like in Twitter, you can also search via screen name and it will still show up. As you mentioned, two people can have the same screen name and the only thing to tell them appart will be the Friend Code.
While it is easy to integrate Twitter and Facebook to your Nintendo Network account, I believe they are aiming it so you would no longer need alternative social media networks like Twitter or Facebook to find other people. This is what the Miiverse is for.

It just seems like everything I do online uses a unique name so I have come use to it. Twitter, all the forums, LoL, WoW, XBL, PSN, hell even my irc nick. All unique. I don't have a problem continuing to pick unique names as long as they can be changed. It would be awesome if all of life worked like Steam but it's just not going to happen.

If you can change your name on a service, it is almost entirely certain that it uses a unique identifier other than your nick. For example, on facebook, my nickname is "brainguy", but my actual id on the system is "507228838". Essentially, a friend code. edit: my point is that this holds even though the nickname is also unique

I work in an neuroimaging lab, ergo with brains; the name wasn't an ego thing.

Touch

If you can change your name on a service, it is almost entirely certain that it uses a unique identifier other than your nick. For example, on facebook, my nickname is "brainguy", but my actual id on the system is "507228838". Essentially, a friend code. edit: my point is that this holds even though the nickname is also unique

I work in an neuroimaging lab, ergo with brains; the name wasn't an ego thing.
I understand that. Though that number (the friend code) is still in the back ground. What someone sees when they go to add you on facebook is your nickname not that number. I just don't want to have to use that number, for anything, ever. just let it sit in the background.

I just want it to be easy to add people. There are some people that don't even know their friend code or even where to look for it. They can keep friend codes for all I care as long as it's behind the scene.

The friend code is linked to the profile just like the STEAM Profile ID linked to your profile in steam. Do you know your STEAM friend code? it has 17 digits. It will be very similar or identical to how STEAM uses its friend codes. it will look like this.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76551163329012338

the 17 digits at the end is your "friend code" and yes it is in the background and you don't need to manually add it in unless you were adding them from a forum. because if in this forum you were only allowed to enter your steam user handle then you woulnd't find anyone especially if they used generic names such as "archangel" for example.

I understand that. Though that number (the friend code) is still in the back ground. What someone sees when they go to add you on facebook is your nickname not that number. I just don't want to have to use that number, for anything, ever. just let it sit in the background.

We're pretty much aligned here. It should be as crazy-easy as possible.

Though I will note that most people don't use the nickname when adding others on Facebook. They search by real name, or they add through a mutual friend. People actually sometimes get a little confused when I tell them my nick.

Effect

NintendoLand not being hyped is interesting

Perhaps they understood afterward how underwhelmed people were by it. I keep hoping even though they put on front that everything went well they are looking at how people are responding. The same people that likely represent the early adopters. I've said before that NintendoLand is not Wii Sports. No matter what they tried to say you can't compare the two or expect that NintendoLand will be accepted the same way Wii Sports was. It's very easy to explain and see why Wii Sports caught on. This trickling out of information is just stupid I think. There is no need for it at all. All it is doing is building up negative impressions or doubt in potential day one buyers.

The NintendoLand brand wasn't shown but two attractions were shown separately, Do anybody think that Nintendo land will be packed with some attractions while new attractions will be sold as DLC?

Not sure if posted but

Article on how 250 would be too much for the Wii U
http://www.destructoid.com/how-250-could-still-be-too-much-for-a-wii-u-229169.phtml

Pics are so weird and hilarious
Iwata%20sad-620x.jpg

229169-WiiUIsGTAProstitute.jpg

Apologies if this has been posted. I couldn't find it, but it's over a week old so must be somewhere here.

"Wii U getting achievements, cloud storage, social networking"

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-getting-achievements-cloud-storage-social-networking/

This is the same site which had a report a few days before E3 from one of their "reliable sources" that NSMBU was actually going to be called Super Mario World 2 and would have Bowser and Peach as playable characters so I'd take anything they say with a big grain of salt.

AniHawk

oh so there's a thread here now.

my guess as to what happened:

-they did the bare minimum asked of them by the biggest third parties as far as power goes (microsoft and sony might have been around the same page at the time and have since then leapfrogged it, who knows)
-nintendo split up the e3 show at the last minute (or basically, a week beforehand)
-they want to do the hype blowout thing about 2 months before launch, because it worked so well for super mario galaxy 2 and skyward sword.
-they're making publishers call the wii u a 'next-generation console' behind the scenes. if you talk about the wii u and you're making a game for it, you have to call it that.
-they called the wii u controller the gamepad to reiterate the gamingness of the system because seriously guys this isn't a casual system it's for gamers

on an unrelated note, i hate nintendo land. wii sports came from a place that played on people's imaginations. and i think there was some actual inspiration within nintendo to make it, as simple as it was. nintendo land looks like nintendo's attempt at making ios/facebook games in order to sucker people into buying the fuller experience later. it comes off as extremely cynical.

the donkey kong thing is cool though.

Van Owen

Banned
Reggie already said it would be more expensive than the Wii.

Hopefully the poor e3 response convinces them to stick to $250 though.

Anth0ny

Reggie already said it would be more expensive than the Wii.

Hopefully the poor e3 response convinces them to stick to $250 though.

Didn't he say that before the whole 3DS fiasco?

I could see $250 happening at this point, but I'm still expecting $299.

Didn't he say that before the whole 3DS fiasco?

I could see $250 happening at this point, but I'm still expecting $299.

I believe so too. The gamepad alone could likely retail for $100, and getting released during the holiday season, so I don't see them pushing the price down to $250.

I think they want $349 w/ a pack-in, but abandoned that train of thought after 3DS. My guess is they'll still aim for $329 but may end up relenting to $299 after E3 reaction.

so long way of saying I think they end up at $299 with a pack in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom