• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to spend money and get a 3DS XL or save that for Wii U launch... not so sure how to make up my mind... If I spend now on a 3DS chances are I'll be waiting after Wii U launch to put money aside for it

having no date or price kinda slows me down

I really should buy a Vita so I won't have to wait for Nintendo Direct :p

big_erk

you should read my response to that (on this page right here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41245253&postcount=17757)

I read your post. Here's the thing, I played Skyrim, I loved Skyrim. The elements of Skyrim are great in the context of an Elder Scrolls game. If you want Zelda to be more open world, just say that, not that you want Zelda to be like Skyrim or that it needs elements of Skyrim. I don't want Nintendo to change their design philosophy to try and match some one else's. They need to continue to do their own thing and innovate as only Nintendo can. Only then will we get the masterpieces that they are capable of.

DjRoomba

Banned
I think the one thing OoT did differently then all the other 3D games, and Miyamoto or Aonuma spoke of this, is that you were thrown into a dungeon in the first 20 minutes (The Deku Tree). Whereas it takes over an hour in all other 3D Zelda's. It takes awhile to get going.

I kinda like that though. I dont like games where you feel like youve made significant progress already after only a few hours of playing. I feel more like I get my moneys worth if they front load it with some junk, and I enjoyed it in SS cos I feel like that was part of the story and setting up the world. Sorta like the calm before you set out on the epic quest. In fact I believe all Zeldas do this. No clue why some weirdos are all hung up on when you "reach the first dungeon", like that is some sort of indication of anything..

D-e-f-

Banned
I for one enjoyed the story and characters in SS immensely but maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

Nobody said the story and characters were bad. (at least I didn't)

I read your post. Here's the thing, I played Skyrim, I loved Skyrim. The elements of Skyrim are great in the context of an Elder Scrolls game. If you want Zelda to be more open world, just say that, not that you want Zelda to be like Skyrim or that it needs elements of Skyrim. I don't want Nintendo to change their design philosophy to try and match some one else's. They need to continue to do their own thing and innovate as only Nintendo can. Only then will we get the masterpieces that they are capable of.

But that's just the thing: it's not about being LIKE SKYRIM (that was the whole "not they mean not what they say part). it's about going back to the ORIGINAL ZELDA idea. That was what the whole post was about. Zelda being more like Zelda when it was first conceived again! Not Nintendo copying somebody else, Nintendo remembering great ideas that they have left behind.

Nibel

Come on Nintendo, be nice towards me. It's my birthday today :(

Happy birthday my friend!

iInOIUCAEoibJ.gif

I kinda like that though. I dont like games where you feel like youve made significant progress already after only a few hours of playing. I feel more like I get my moneys worth if they front load it with some junk, and I enjoyed it in SS cos I feel like that was part of the story and setting up the world. Sorta like the calm before you set out on the epic quest. In fact I believe all Zeldas do this. No clue why some weirdos are all hung up on when you "reach the first dungeon", like that is some sort of indication of anything..

I do understand what you're saying about some games making you feel like you're making too much progress too fast - collecting a legendary artefact, sought after by generations, while you're still learning the ropes always seems very patronising - but I don't think Ocarina of Time has that problem. The opening and first dungeon of OoT just provide an impetus for you to leave the safety of the starting are and seek the princess - no different from the first few hours of Skyward Sword. The difference between the two games is that OoT gives you a single objective, and lets you explore and experiment as you figure out how to accomplish it, whereas the Skyward Sword opening is a linear procession of loosely-connected micro-objectives, glued together by cutscenes and setpieces.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I for one enjoyed the story and characters in SS immensely but maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

I did as well.

Also, my kids demanded that I go see the baby (on the back of the shopkeeper stirring the pot) every time I play.

Effect

Twilight Princess is what you get when Nintendo caves to the fans' bitching. We should've all taken that as a lesson.

I know this is meant to be a knock on Twilight Princess but I really enjoyed that game and would love another like it. The only issues with that game are the very long and hand holding intro. Address that and perhaps add more npcs to towns and things should be fine.

As much as I enjoyed Skyward Sword and the motion controls I'd be quite happy to see the next Zelda game not use them. At first I thought I wouldn't want to go back but I'd much rather be focused on playing the game, the puzzles, etc instead of worrying if I'm swinging correctly, timing things correctly, etc. Or at least give the option. Take the extra time to balance it for both inputs.

Stewox

Banned
This is an excerpt from the "nintendo devs don't like achivements" link in my post above, an opinion which I agree to the full extent possible.

"When they create their games, [Nintendo's designers] don't tell you how to play their game in order to achieve some kind of mythical reward," Trinen said, explaining his view of why Nintendo's top creators have stayed off the Achievement bandwagon. Trinen is currently head of product marketing for Nintendo of America, but has also long communicated with Nintendo's top development talent in Japan and would be privy to their design philosophies.

"Basically, the way the games are designed is they're designed for you to explore the game yourself and have this sense of discovery," he said. "To that end, I think that when you look specifically at games from EAD [the group long led by Mario and Donkey Kong creator Shigeru Miyamoto] and a lot of other games that Nintendo has developed a well, there are things you can do in the game that will result in some sort of reward or unexpected surprise. In my mind, that really encourages the sense of exploration rather than the sense of 'If I do that, I'm going to get some sort of artificial point or score that's going to make me feel better that I got this.' And that, to me, is I think more compelling."

Trinen is aware of Nintendo's own exceptions. He recalled an Achievement-like bonus system in the GameCube's Super Smash Bros. Melee that rewarded players for doing specific, sometimes-unusual, things in the game. But he pointed out that even that game didn't tell its players in advance that they would be getting rewards and how to attain them.

The way western achivements work, even blizzard's starcaft 2 has a list of them all revealed and pretty much makes people to call buddies to farm for achivements and pretty much dilutes the game with these people.

Starcaft 2 has a few of hidden ones called Feats of Strength, i got 2 of them, no idea since i didn't want to search how many are there and how to get them.

The whole point of Achi... erm Accomplishments should be doing something UNUSUAL and very tricky, very unlikely, funny, and all should be hidden, just like hints or easter eggs, but these are events or a series of events in a certain order, they differ from hints/unlocks because those are secret areas that you get an actual bonus material from. But we can see they're not forcing things so this will stay el-standardo and nintendo will use game-specific stuff.

Agreed.

Since I posted this, people/sites decided to read it as "WiiU Achievements (and name)" confirmed, when it's actually not, at least not from that document.

Probably some sort of (edit: system-wide?) achievement system will be present, but until Nintendo or some dev confirms it (edit: and that document isn't a confirmation for me) , it's all speculation and nothing more. (<- talking 'bout the name)

Feels like my posts are invisible doesn't it.

Well, suit your self guys

RedSwirl

I know this is meant to be a knock on Twilight Princess but I really enjoyed that game and would love another like it. The only issues with that game are the very long and hand holding intro. Address that and perhaps add more npcs to towns and things should be fine.

As much as I enjoyed Skyward Sword and the motion controls I'd be quite happy to see the next Zelda game not use them. At first I thought I wouldn't want to go back but I'd much rather be focused on playing the game, the puzzles, etc instead of worrying if I'm swinging correctly, timing things correctly, etc. Or at least give the option. Take the extra time to balance it for both inputs.

I loved Twilight Princess too actually.

I literally cant believe there are people that are pro-achievements/trophies. Most ridiculous pointless idea ever that for some unknown reason Sony had to copy

What's so pointless about them? It gives you extra things to do in a game, often really challenging things that would suck if the game required them but are great as extra optional challenges. I agree that achievements for just progressing in a game are pointless, but if I have a secondary goal of beating a boss without ever getting hit by his fire attack, or one for figuring out how to jump off a very high bridge and survive, then it's more things to do in the game.

DrNeroCF

What's so pointless about them? It gives you extra things to do in a game, often really challenging things that would suck if the game required them but are great as extra optional challenges. I agree that achievements for just progressing in a game are pointless, but if I have a secondary goal of beating a boss without ever getting hit by his fire attack, or one for figuring out how to jump off a very high bridge and survive, then it's more things to do in the game.

A response to games being too easy, then? Maybe we should be doing those things because otherwise you'd die. The only trophies I can think of right now are for beating levels (going to do that anyway) and getting headshots (slightly more enjoyable, but I want to be better at the game because, well, I'm playing it, not because I can get some points added to an account).

As for achievements that are actually creative, gamers have been inventing personal goals in video games since the dawn of gaming, and I don't know about you, but if I do something cool and get a popup for it, the magic is lost. I'm instantly reminded that I wasn't the first to think of that, and it's no longer my accomplishment. Obviously the chance that I'm the first to do pretty much anything in any game is slim to none, but games are all about illusion, right? Same as how so many people have already seen the ending to a game, but still want to get there myself for closure. Maybe I'm just crazy, though.

As for Nintendo's approach, I'll take comparing high scores over a checklist driven, contextless number any day.

TunaLover

I don't know what's the big thing about achievements, I never look for or care to complete them, even in games that I like a lot like Xenoblade, the regular quest already took so much time, in other games already beaten I barely play them again. But yeah, my problem with achievements is probably due I don't have much time to spare.

Zelda used to be my go to medieval action/adventure/exploration game. But with every iteration they remove more and more of the action, adventure and exploration that I crave and replace it will linear dull worlds, pointless items, boring tutorials and so many gawd damn puzzles.

I know puzzle fans consider zelda a puzzle game now and get enraged if anybody considers it anything but a puzzle game but there are lots of people who just tolerated the ever increasing pile of puzzles to get at the every shrinking sections of action/adventure/exploration zelda they love.

They really should split the Zelda games into two series. Aonuma fans, fans of Spirit tracks, Sky wardsword, Majoras Mask could get a linear small overworld with countless huge puzzles scattered about.

While LOZ, Links Adventure, LTTP, Link's awakening fans could get could get a action/adventure/exploration game. Made by a second team of developers who played the none Aonuma Zelda games and like them.

Zelda used to be my go to medieval action/adventure/exploration game. But with every iteration they remove more and more of the action, adventure and exploration that I crave and replace it will linear dull worlds, pointless items, boring tutorials and so many gawd damn puzzles.

I know puzzle fans consider zelda a puzzle game now and get enraged if anybody considers it anything but a puzzle game but there are lots of people who just tolerated the ever increasing pile of puzzles to get at the every shrinking sections of action/adventure/exploration zelda they love.

They really should split the Zelda games into two series. Aonuma fans, fans of Spirit tracks, Sky wardsword, Majoras Mask could get a linear small overworld with countless huge puzzles scattered about.

While LOZ, Links Adventure, LTTP, Link's awakening fans could get could get a action/adventure/exploration game. Made by a second team of developers who played the none Aonuma Zelda games and like them.

This! THIS! A thousand times THIS!

MDX

Yes, and have Retro be one of the studios handling the action/adventure/exploration version. They will be able to at least have two zeldas each console generation. Just like with what they are doing with Mario. I wouldn't be surprised if that is their plan.

DynamicG

The problem I have with most fan "wish lists" for Zelda is that they want to focus on just one or two aspects of the the Zelda series rather than acknowledging that Zelda is a composite of several different concepts that are woven together with some amount of variation between games. The series has ALWAYS deviated between games and will likely continue to do so.

aLttP combines action, exploration and puzzles into a nice little bundle that works well. Ocarina does the same thing. The more recent games have been a bit more linear, but they are still within the same formula of the original games.

As for LoZ, I seriously doubt you will ever get another game where they just drop you off in a completely open world with little to no instructions. That game was also a product of it's time and you can't separate that from the game design. There hasn't been a sigle other game like LoZ in the series. Even aLttP and Zelda 2 are significantly more linear.

I fully expect Nintendo to introduce a New Legend of Zelda at some point that will ape the look and SOME design decisions of the 2D games, but with the modern information and guidance systems we see in modern Zelda.

Splitting the fanbase on a series that has had some struggles lately seems like a really foolish move.

Then again, perhaps I just side with the others as MM is my favorite. I really liked Skyward Sword (even though I feel it was a bit too "tight") and want to keep Skyrim the fuck away from Zelda.

jerd

Dark Souls, Skyrim... So from what I gather from the last couple of pages we're having a change Zelda's genre party?

Edit: For years now I've been a proponent of reinvention of several of Nintendo's franchises. However, if they would not be handled with care, I'd prefer they were left alone.

Zelda's transformed so much over the years to the point where no two games are alike. So I understand when fans are iffy about some iterations.

I will say, however, that Zelda seems to have some of the best puzzles in gaming. I'd play a great game like Tales of Anythingia or an interesting game like Papa & Yo, and get upset at how simplistic/easy the puzzles are for the most part and how they often boil down to finding and hitting a switch somewhere.

It could use more exploration and secrets, though. Skyward Sword really felt lacking in that regard imo.

Hakai

The problem I have with most fan "wish lists" for Zelda is that they want to focus on just one or two aspects of the the Zelda series rather than acknowledging that Zelda is a composite of several different concepts that are woven together with some amount of variation between games. The series has ALWAYS deviated between games and will likely continue to do so.

aLttP combines action, exploration and puzzles into a nice little bundle that works well. Ocarina does the same thing. The more recent games have been a bit more linear, but they are still within the same formula of the original games.

As for LoZ, I seriously doubt you will ever get another game where they just drop you off in a completely open world with little to no instructions. That game was also a product of it's time and you can't separate that from the game design. There hasn't been a sigle other game like LoZ in the series. Even aLttP and Zelda 2 are significantly more linear.

I fully expect Nintendo to introduce a New Legend of Zelda at some point that will ape the look and SOME design decisions of the 2D games, but with the modern information and guidance systems we see in modern Zelda.

Splitting the fanbase on a series that has had some struggles lately seems like a really foolish move.

Then again, perhaps I just side with the others as MM is my favorite. I really liked Skyward Sword (even though I feel it was a bit too "tight") and want to keep Skyrim the fuck away from Zelda.

This! And people tend to forget that Zelda is not meant to be ultra realistic, but a lot more like an Anime, it's been like that since ever, people just didn't realized that before. Look at all the artworks for the game, the anime design is present in all of them.

I can see why some people dislike Skyward Sword, but to me it was a very different approach, and actually it added a lot to the game. While I agree that it has less exploration, I can't agree that it does not have the adventure/action part, it's actually great part of what the game is.

Stewox

Banned
Not at all man.

I'm just talking about the specific PCars document.

People use it like it's THE definite proof of WiiU achievements, when you have Nintendo themselves confirming it anyways.

Well, That doesn't make it a surprise or any big "leak" tha people and media are hyping it up.

Besides the name. It's a plus, I like the differentiation.

If you see D-e-f's post, he specifically says (not exact quote) "we don't know anything about system-wide achivements"

One big facepalm coming up. Not sure me or you or who.

Sadist

Mmm... with the possible news of a The World Ends With You sequel (here's hoping) next monday it could happen we'll get a ND at the end of this week.

Banned
So guys, what did I miss for the last couple of days?

My connection went down :(
EA went for sale

Nintendo bought EA

Nintendo sold off all studios except EA Canada and BioWare.

The end.

EDIT: Happy Birthday!

Edit 2: puzzles are what make a great Zelda game along with combat and exploration. SS had the former 2, the exploration was lacking. There is enough action in Zelda. If you guys want a button masher/slasher with minimal puzzles go play god of war or Darksiders.

I know I don't have the free time to read and post in this thread like I used, so what in the fuck has happened here?????!!!!

When did everyone go insane?

Banned
I know I don't have the free time to read and post in this thread like I used, so what in the fuck has happened here?????!!!!

After the dissapointing and non-revealing E3 2012. And the insanity jacked up last night too when an announcement of Nintendo direct was expected lol.

DynamicG

After the dissapointing and non-revealing E3 2012. And the insanity jacked up last night too when an announcement of Nintendo direct was expected lol.

This recent insanity is different than the post E3 hype crash. In fact, I'd say this recent insanity looks more like the pre-E3 hype bubble that lead to the post E3 hype crash where people would start getting hyped over the most cryptic shit.

At least there was E3 to cut that off we knew when that was. The latest hype is just self generated on the hope of a Nintendo direct soon.

Be rational people! Stop the next hype crash now by lowering your expectations!

I think everyone is seeing that Nintendo's time is just about up in waiting to show the rest of the Wii U software. The 3DS XL is out along with NSMB2 and there is nothing left to wait for except for the Wii U......

Bring the Nintendo Direct and do it soon!

I think it has more to do with pre launch hype. I want my Rayman!

edit: I just realized that I didn't pre order any 1st party games... and the first one I get will probably be wii u fit.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, That doesn't make it a surprise or any big "leak" tha people and media are hyping it up.

Besides the name. It's a plus, I like the differentiation.

If you see D-e-f's post, he specifically says (not exact quote) "we don't know anything about system-wide achivements"

One big facepalm coming up. Not sure me or you or who.

the quote was about the Project CARS thing not unquestionably indicating a system-level achievement system.

there is basically one Reggie quote that says "we will have that" ... but it's not very specific. It seems like the writers of the article just implied the rest or simply weren't clear in their phrasing.

I'm not trying to argue that there is no achievement system, I'm just trying to stick to facts and what has been explicitly said to be there.

What we definitely know is
-Wii U achievements will exist
-They are not a mandate for all games that appear on Wii U
-Developers can choose whether or not to implement them

= this basically means nothing. it suggests a system wide implementation but it doesn't explicitly confirm anything. going by that, they might just as well have the Wii situation with in-game achievements and that quote would still be true.

What we don't know
-Will there be a unified structure to them? (points, bronze/silver/gold/platinum-trophy)
-Will they be collected in and tied to your user/Nintendo Network account?
-Will they be tied to the individual game only (in-game achievements - like there were on Wii with Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports Resort, The Conduit, Xenoblade...)?
-Will they accumulate in some type of scoring system (trophy levels, gamerscore)
-Will they be viewable by friends?
-Will there be a web-API for achievement sites?
-Will they do anything special?

As I repeatedly say whenever this discussion comes up:

Zelda is too many things to too many different people to ever have another iteration that is universally praised again.

Going further in one direction, whether it be puzzles, action, overworld, exploration, etc., is going to alienate the people who think otherwise. Balancing all those things would be impossible for actual humans to do in a satisfactory manner. Plus it would be a fucking confused game.

Eventually the game will roll around to whatever X person likes, but unless you're a fan of anything Zelda could possibly do (at which point it is irrelevant what the game is actually like), being in to the series for a specific style is mostly going to result in heartache.

As I repeatedly say whenever this discussion comes up:

Zelda is too many things to too many different people to ever have another iteration that is universally praised again.

Going further in one direction, whether it be puzzles, action, overworld, exploration, etc., is going to alienate the people who think otherwise. Balancing all those things would be impossible for actual humans to do in a satisfactory manner. Plus it would be a fucking confused game.

Eventually the game will roll around to whatever X person likes, but unless you're a fan of anything Zelda could possibly do (at which point it is irrelevant what the game is actually like), being in to the series for a specific style is mostly going to result in heartache.
I will admit.

I am a Zelda whore. I've found something to like in all of them I've played. Well... Majora's Mask is one I have never really played I'm ashamed to admit (2 hours on the GCN disc before the uneven framerate made me feel icky doesn't count), and I never finished LttP.

I love this series in general. And honestly thought SS was a refreshing take on the formula. A few badly executed ideas aside.

Each has something it does better than another.

Nibel

You know what I love the most about Zelda games, Zelda fans?

That Nintendo doesn't listen to you. This seems to be an asshole-ish thing to say, yes, but I think that the way that Nintendo designs their games is great: they give you a game, give the player tools to play with and let them experiment with the game. This is how Kamiya designs his games, too.

Gaming would be extremely boring if developers had a checklist of things they know people love in their games. XP bars? Check. Unlocking weapons? Check. Do you see the difference between Nintendo/Kamiya and most Western developers now?

That Nintendo doesn't listen to you. This seems to be an asshole-ish thing to say, yes, but I think that the way that Nintendo designs their games is great: they give you a game, give the player tools to play with and let them experiment with the game. This is how Kamiya designs his games, too.

I WISH Nintendo still designed Zelda games like that! They seemed terrified of letting players experiment with the things in Skyward Sword, interjecting with cut-scenes or text-crawl from Fi whenever there's something that the player might not immediately 'get'. Nintendo may not pander to its hardcore fans, but it sure as hell doesn't hesitate to pander to the mythical 'casual audience' any chance they get. The worst bit is that it's not even working - in spite of these concessions, Zelda still is a series that's only played by relatively hardcore gamers.

cand

Gaming would be extremely boring if developers had a checklist of things they know people love in their games. XP bars? Check. Unlocking weapons? Check. Do you see the difference between Nintendo/Kamiya and most Western developers now?

Totally agree. What I like more about Nintendo is that they keep their 1980's franchises fresh.
People complain about Ninty don't having new IP's but each game works so different from another that's like a new gameplay IP wraped up in a old IP name. All this cause they don't give a fuck on how the fans think they should run the company. I think it's worderfull, fans are a bunch of bullshitty experts that think they know better.

DynamicG

The way Nintendo frequently ignores their fanbase and does what they want is seriously one of my favorite things about the company. They have a vision and they go with it, I like that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I guess you'd have to call me the universal Zelda lover then. I'm not fan of one specific Zelda; I like the style and theme of Zelda, and I like what the Zelda team(s) at Nintendo tend to do with their games.

When a new Zelda comes out, I'm most excited to see what they do next, not "get the Zelda I have to have".

I like the DS games and think they're incredible adventure games. I even like the train. Why? Because it's done well, it looks cool, and nobody else ever thought of it. It's stuff like that, which you only tend to see in a Zelda game - the series many people harp never does anything new and is 'always the same'?

I have considered every single Zelda game (outside the CDi games, ha ha) to be an incredibly well crafted and designed action adventure, regardless of where they rank next to one another. In fact, the only Zelda game I've considered seriously flawed, and tragically so, is The Wind Waker... because as we all know, that game is LITERALLY unfinished. It's actually the Zelda that Nintendo fell down the most with in an objective, not subjective, sense.

But it's why I went into games like Skyward Sword not immediately pissed off that there was no horse, no Hyrule Field, and I used a wiimote. I found everything the team did inventive, clever, and thought out in a way only the Zelda teams appear to think of. By the same token I also like Ocarina, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, etc.

Edit: and of course, none of this accounts for specific criticism. Skyward Sword has Fi and the underused sky world, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom