• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ala Alba

I WISH Nintendo still designed Zelda games like that! They seemed terrified of letting players experiment with the things in Skyward Sword, interjecting with cut-scenes or text-crawl from Fi whenever there's something that the player might not immediately 'get'. Nintendo may not pander to its hardcore fans, but it sure as hell doesn't hesitate to pander to the mythical 'casual audience' any chance they get. The worst bit is that it's not even working - in spite of these concessions, Zelda still is a series that's only played by relatively hardcore gamers.

Do you know why Fi has to interrupt you? Because they were trying to develop her as a character, and unlike every other modern series, Legend of Zelda games don't have voice acting. As a result, in order for Fi to speak, the game has to stop you.

The content of her interruptions are appropriate to her character (she's supposed to be there to help you). I'm sure she'd be 70% less annoying if she didn't have to stop your gameplay to speak up.

iKhayal18

We might get the announcement later today, I don't think Nintendo would just forget about Nintendo Direct or ignore it until September.

But isn't it already too late to make an announcement if they want to do a ND tomorrow (japan time)?. There's only 12 hours left (approx.)...

Banned
I will admit.

I am a Zelda whore. I've found something to like in all of them I've played. Well... Majora's Mask is one I have never really played I'm ashamed to admit (2 hours on the GCN disc before the uneven framerate made me feel icky doesn't count), and I never finished LttP.

I love this series in general. And honestly thought SS was a refreshing take on the formula. A few badly executed ideas aside.

Each has something it does better than another.
The gcn port of MM was utter shit. Download the VC one for the Wii, you won be disappointed. I saw no framerate drops or glitches.

Earendil

Since this has turned into a Zelda thread, I'll add my two cents. This is cobbled together from several posts on a different forum, so forgive me if it sounds a little stilted.

The overworld needs more life in it. Zelda II had several villages with tons of people in them. Since then, we've only had one or two. ALttP had Kakariko and that's it. OoT had Hyrule Castle and Kakariko. MM had Clock Town. WW had Outset Island and Windfall (and maybe you can count Dragon Roost). TP had Ordon, Hyrule Castle and Kakariko again. But that's pretty much it. No life outside the towns and not much inside them either. I'd like to see people roaming about the overworld, some of them fighting monsters, some of them fishing in the streams or hunting. Maybe even some of them living there in huts.

Secondly involves how the dungeons integrate into the world. I'd like to see them more seamless. Not so much like you're halfway through a dungeon before you realize it kind of seamless, but perhaps with areas where you go outside and can see the rest of Hyrule around you. Much like the Skull Palace from ALttP, you can leave and re-enter the dungeon at different points. My other idea for how dungeons would integrate into the world is that when you finish a dungeon, instead of leaving the way you came in, you exit from the Boss room into a completely new area of the overworld, such as a new village perhaps (Lanayru Mines did this). Later in the game after obtaining different items, you can warp to that town and re-enter the dungeon. Once inside, you'll find an area that is unlocked with your new item and it becomes the next dungeon.

Another idea I thought of was after defeating the dungeon boss, you get a piece of an item. Once you have all the pieces, it becomes the weapon you need to defeat the final boss (along with the Master Sword obviously). Perhaps you can even use it along the way as an item, but it's true power isn't available until you have all the pieces. We've already collected Triforce shards, maidens, medalions, pearls, fused shadow pieces and mirror shards. Why not something that can actually be used by the player?

Something else I would love to see is season changes. Like, with an actual calendar. Not necessarily realtime, but based on the regular day/night cycle of the game. Then they could have a calendar based not on our Gregorian calendar (who wants Hyrule to have Novembers and Decembers?) but they could make up their own lunar calendar or something.

Natural disasters would be awesome too. Maybe you have to hide in a low-lying ditch to avoid a tornado? Or a hurricane along a coastline that destroys a town and you have to help them find materials to rebuild it. Or it destroys a seaside jungle and reveals the next dungeon?

I'd like some sort of personality ecology, so to speak. MH3 is setup so that your actions with creatures in the environment affect others. For example, perhaps you didn't help a woman catch her cuccoos, which means that she didn't sell the eggs to the man across the street. This man now has to go hunt for food. While hunting for food, he runs into moblins or something and you have to rescue him. Or, you have a shop and you bring in a bunch of weapons that you've collected and sell them to the townspeople. They decide that since they now have these weapons, they can organize a militia. This militia helps you later to defend the town (or neighboring town) from an attack by the evil force of the game.

Some ideas to breath more life into the world would be:

1) Caves that actually go somewhere. 2d Zeldas do this. I want to go into a cave, have a ton of different branches and exits. I want to come out in a completely different area. TP did this once with the tunnel to N. Faron Woods, but didn't use it again, and that one only had one exit.

2) Sandstorms in the desert change the topography. Maybe the sand blows around and uncovers a hidden cave, or old ruins to explore.

3) An ocean. With tides. And Giant Enemy Crabs. Even if we don't get to sail on it. I still want to explore a coastline. Above the water and below it as well.

4) I want to take a boat out into the ocean and deep sea fish.

5) I want it to rain randomly. Previously in the series, when it has rained, it's been at very specific times. I'd like real weather effects: rain, snow, hail, etc for no good reason other than the weather engine decides it's a good day for an umbrella.

6) A true, honest to god forest. I want to be able to enter the forest at any point and leave at any point, not just follow preset paths. I want to find a cottage deep in the woods that hasn't been touched in a hundred years. Or follow a creek as it turns into a stream with waterfalls.

Just make the world real. Somewhere you'd actually like to visit if it wasn't infested with monsters that would like nothing better than to put your head on a pike.

Anyhoo, I'd also like to see a New Legend of Zelda. Not Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks on a console, but a return to the gameplay of the original, Lttp or LA. It's just a little dream of mine.

Meelow

Banned
But isn't it already too late to make an announcement if they want to do a ND tomorrow (japan time)?. There's only 12 hours left (approx.)...

Nintendo usually has the direct on the 23rd in Japan so like you said they still have 12 hours left to announce it.

Nibel

I would suggest that ThunderMonkey should wait for the 3DS port of Majora's Mask. ;)

Maybe we'll get an announcement tomorrow? Or maybe they'll skip ND for their fall conference.

D-e-f-

Banned
The way Nintendo frequently ignores their fanbase and does what they want is seriously one of my favorite things about the company. They have a vision and they go with it, I like that.

The problem with that is that they also happen to ignore completely valid criticism. Developing in a vacuum is both a good thing and a bad thing.

That's why you can almost always praise and criticize them within the same sentence.

For the record, there has not been a single Zelda game that I haven't at least liked a lot. But I strongly believe that they need to check where they are going and (yes, this again) listen to what people mean when they complain. Not verbatim do what they say but go to the source of the issue and do something with that information.

A "shut up, Fi!" option, or a "err hello, I have played a video game before!" setting that does away with all the intrusive hand-holding for those who don't need it.

Hoodbury

While it isn't looking good, the old joke for the previous ND's was that the announcement for them had been getting shorter and shorter. So there's still some hope and they'll just announce it last minute or something. Or maybe they won't even announce it and will just post it.

Do you know why Fi has to interrupt you? Because they were trying to develop her as a character, and unlike every other modern series, Legend of Zelda games don't have voice acting. As a result, in order for Fi to speak, the game has to stop you.

The content of her interruptions are appropriate to her character (she's supposed to be there to help you). I'm sure she'd be 70% less annoying if she didn't have to stop your gameplay to speak up.

She doesn't have any sort of character to start with, let alone there being any development through the course of the game! And it doesn't matter if she's supposed to forcibly help you at every turn according to the game's canon, because the canon is entirely of Nintendo's creation!

D-e-f-

Banned
I was following the "pattern" posted here yesterday.

I know, I posted that pattern :)

Since this has turned into a Zelda thread, I'll add my two cents. This is cobbled together from several posts on a different forum, so forgive me if it sounds a little stilted.
[...]
OK, I'm convinced. You should make the next Zelda game.

Yea, Earendil is talking about a lot of the stuff I mentioned in my tl;dr post and especially the real forest thing is what I talked about earlier as having dreamed of as a kid when reading about Ocarina for the first time.

They should definitely take a cue from Xenoblade in terms of lived-in towns and dynamic weather incl. random environmental events. Xenoblade had the schedules that Zelda had in Majora's Mask's Clocktown but on a huge scale. That was really awesome. I'd love to see that again in a Zelda game.

I'm stating this right now, with all the hype in here the next ND will be a massive dissapointment, regardless of the announcements. You guys should really get some fresh air and stop hyping announcements that might not even happen. For all we know, Nintendo is holding small events and will probably disclose everything about WiiU during their fall conference.

Sadist

I'm stating this right now, with all the hype in here the next ND will be a massive dissapointment, regardless of the announcements. You guys should really get some fresh air and stop hyping announcements that might not even happen. For all we know, Nintendo is holding small events and will probably disclose everything about WiiU during their fall conference.
But I'm not hyping anything

:(

Nibel

Fuck this shit - we even hyped GDC like it was the second coming of the lord. Hyping unimportant events is part of the Nintendo experience for me.

Guys: I promise you will get New Legend Of Zelda for the 3DS, Metroid Dread and some more stuff. I believe in uncle Iwata and you should believe in him, too.

Here, have a drink from your favourite monkey on GAF

i8rRfFUXvBFtm.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This thread got ridiculous last night, but there is still plenty of time for a Nintendo Direct this week.

I was recently reading that Iwata statement where he said when necessary Nintendo won't hesitate to roll out resources on franchises that really need them and I was thinking.. what about the rest? what about those games that aren't graphical showcases? I know the budget for a Mario Party game won't even come close to a LoZ or a main Mario game budget but does that mean the Mario Party game will be techically the same as its predecessors?

I'm not expecting photorealistic graphics at 1080p 60fps with AA but I feel all of their franchises need... no! they deserve an upgrade in graphics. I mean.. circle shadows, plastic-like models and low-res textures should be a thing from the past.

I think I'm a little worried about how Nintendo will handle its franchises now that they're going HD =/
I really hope NintendoLand is just the bare minimum we could expect in this context. Nice lighting, shadows,
particles
, animations etc.

Oh well.. just a thought. Don't kill me lol

That's a very valid point and also leads to the view of even if the Wii U had a 4Ghz 4 Core CPU, 1 teraFLOP GPU and 4GB's of Ram would it actually do them any favors except maybe get UE4 games looking on par with PS4 / 720 games ?.

Games such as Mario Kart, Star Fox, F Zero, Smash Bros, Pilot Wings ect won't look much better than the first party Wii games running on the Dolphin emulator in HD but with improved textures and some nice lighting effects imo.

I think only 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Retro's new game if it's a new IP (weren't they rumoured to be making a third person action adventure a few months ago ?) and multi platform ports of PS4 / 720 games will really push the Wii U hardware to it's limits.

If Nintendo made hardware on par with PS4 / 720 then they would have to start making their franchises compete visually with Pixar which is when you start spending unreal amounts of time and money on game development, when 90% of your comsumers are happy with more 2D Mario and party games then what's the point exactly ?.

At the end of the day it's a business and i think the Wii U will end up being the best choice in terms of hardware and software come the end of the generation for Nintendo.

Meelow

Banned
That's a very valid point and also leads to the view of even if the Wii U had a 4Ghz 4 Core CPU, 1 teraFLOP GPU and 4GB's of Ram would it actually do them any favors except maybe get UE4 games looking on par with PS4 / 720 games ?.

Games such as Mario Kart, Star Fox, F Zero, Smash Bros, Pilot Wings ect won't look much better than the first party Wii games running on the Dolphin emulator in HD but with improved textures and some nice lighting effects imo.

I think only 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Retro's new game if it's a new IP (weren't they rumoured to be making a third person action adventure a few months ago ?) and multi platform ports of PS4 / 720 games will really push the Wii U hardware to it's limits.

If Nintendo made hardware on par with PS4 / 720 then they would have to start making their franchises compete visually with Pixar which is when you start spending unreal amounts of time and money on game development, when 90% of your comsumers are happy with more 2D Mario and party games then what's the point exactly ?.

At the end of the day it's a business and i think the Wii U will end up being the best choice in terms of hardware and software come the end of the generation for Nintendo.

I really don't think PS4 and Xbox 720 games will look as good as Pixar.

Banned
Don't tell people how to enjoy their spare time. Console launches happen twice a decade, sometimes once. This is a special occasion.

In other news, I think retro's game is going to be so radically different that some people who are resistant to change are gonna be like "wtf is this shit? Why didn't they just make another Metroid or do a Zelda! What bs!".

Meelow

Banned
Agreed. I remember someone says the PS2 or the Xbox was supposed to have Toy Story graphics. Where are my Toy Story graphics on PS2?

Yeah it was the PS2, I still wonder where is the game that shows Toy Story graphics, also Sony said every PS3 game will be 1080p at 120fps...Their isn't even one game that has that.

Also considering the reliable sources, the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be 2.5-3x more powerful than Wii U.

Earendil

OK, I'm convinced. You should make the next Zelda game.

Holy crap I second this. I'd buy his game even if it weren't Zelda.

Thanks guys. I'd love to make a Zelda game. But unfortunately, I'm not sure a career in game development agrees with my desire to spend time with my family.

I know, I posted that pattern :)

Yea, Earendil is talking about a lot of the stuff I mentioned in my tl;dr post and especially the real forest thing is what I talked about earlier as having dreamed of as a kid when reading about Ocarina for the first time.

They should definitely take a cue from Xenoblade in terms of lived-in towns and dynamic weather incl. random environmental events. Xenoblade had the schedules that Zelda had in Majora's Mask's Clocktown but on a huge scale. That was really awesome. I'd love to see that again in a Zelda game.

I think I was piecing my post together when you posted yours. It took me a while to find all the different parts of it across a couple forums.

Effect

No Nintendo direct announce yet? Wii U release date delayed to 2013 confirmed.

Wouldn't be surprised if that happen but question is could Nintendo afford to do that when it comes to keep up with fiscal expectations. I don't think so unless the 3DS XL takes off in America and Europe and doesn't slow down. Sales of NSMB2 will be key as well.

Perhaps Nintendo is waiting for some internal sales data out of Europe and North America on how those items did before deciding what the ND will be about. I wouldn't expect anything until the first week in September. By then they should be able to see how things went if that's what they are waiting for.

Edit:

If the 3DS XL and NSMB2 don't fly off the shelves and continues the lower sales in America and Europe (compared to Japan) do you think Nintendo might rush the Wii U so it's out earlier? Resulting in certain things not being there at launch of couse. The eShop for example. Not like they haven't done it before. The 3DS was rushed to make the fiscal year look better. The drop off of the Wii hurt and even if they aren't taking a loss on the 3DS anymore it's still not selling the way they want it to outside of Japan.

The overworld needs more life in it. Zelda II had several villages with tons of people in them. Since then, we've only had one or two. ALttP had Kakariko and that's it. OoT had Hyrule Castle and Kakariko. MM had Clock Town. WW had Outset Island and Windfall (and maybe you can count Dragon Roost). TP had Ordon, Hyrule Castle and Kakariko again. But that's pretty much it. No life outside the towns and not much inside them either. I'd like to see people roaming about the overworld, some of them fighting monsters, some of them fishing in the streams or hunting. Maybe even some of them living there in huts.

I agree with this. You also have to have a lot of interaction with the residents. Twilight Princess had rather boring towns. Clock Town and Windfall Island were pretty brilliant. More on this later.

Secondly involves how the dungeons integrate into the world. I'd like to see them more seamless. Not so much like you're halfway through a dungeon before you realize it kind of seamless, but perhaps with areas where you go outside and can see the rest of Hyrule around you. Much like the Skull Palace from ALttP, you can leave and re-enter the dungeon at different points. My other idea for how dungeons would integrate into the world is that when you finish a dungeon, instead of leaving the way you came in, you exit from the Boss room into a completely new area of the overworld, such as a new village perhaps (Lanayru Mines did this). Later in the game after obtaining different items, you can warp to that town and re-enter the dungeon. Once inside, you'll find an area that is unlocked with your new item and it becomes the next dungeon.

This is a good idea, but I believe it should be used sparingly. Ideally, I want most of the overworld to be available at or shortly after the beginning. I like the idea of exiting dungeons in a new location, though. It reminds me of Hyrule Castle in Wind Waker. It wasn't really a dungeon, but you exited a different way from which you entered.

Another idea I thought of was after defeating the dungeon boss, you get a piece of an item. Once you have all the pieces, it becomes the weapon you need to defeat the final boss (along with the Master Sword obviously). Perhaps you can even use it along the way as an item, but it's true power isn't available until you have all the pieces. We've already collected Triforce shards, maidens, medalions, pearls, fused shadow pieces and mirror shards. Why not something that can actually be used by the player?
This is a good idea as well. It doesn't even have to be necessary to defeat the final boss or an actual item. It could be some sort of combat ability or something. It could be a bit like powering up your sword in Skyward Sword (except it would have to be more useful than Fi's Dowsing upgrade).

Something else I would love to see is season changes. Like, with an actual calendar. Not necessarily realtime, but based on the regular day/night cycle of the game. Then they could have a calendar based not on our Gregorian calendar (who wants Hyrule to have Novembers and Decembers?) but they could make up their own lunar calendar or something.

Natural disasters would be awesome too. Maybe you have to hide in a low-lying ditch to avoid a tornado? Or a hurricane along a coastline that destroys a town and you have to help them find materials to rebuild it. Or it destroys a seaside jungle and reveals the next dungeon?

I love the seasons idea. I'm not too ecstatic with the natural disasters idea. I do like running from tornadoes like in Wind Waker, but something on the scale of a hurricane would probably have to be predetermined instead of a random occurrence, much like the fire in Kakariko Town, but with a true aftermath.

I'd like some sort of personality ecology, so to speak. MH3 is setup so that your actions with creatures in the environment affect others. For example, perhaps you didn't help a woman catch her cuccoos, which means that she didn't sell the eggs to the man across the street. This man now has to go hunt for food. While hunting for food, he runs into moblins or something and you have to rescue him. Or, you have a shop and you bring in a bunch of weapons that you've collected and sell them to the townspeople. They decide that since they now have these weapons, they can organize a militia. This militia helps you later to defend the town (or neighboring town) from an attack by the evil force of the game.

This really is what I want the most from Zelda. My favorite Zelda is Majora's Mask, and that actually has little to do with the actual dungeons. You really felt connected to all of the characters. Each region had its own problems. The South had the Deku Scrubs and the monkeys, the North had the troubled Gorons, the West had the Zoras and even the seahorses, and the East had Pamela and her father. This is a bit similar to Ocarina of Time's first three dungeons, but the sense of urgency was much more apparent in Majora's Mask. I'm not even talking about the superior Clock Town and its myriad of connected characters. It's amazing because you don't even know certain characters are related until you dive deeper into their stories. Wind Waker even had memorable characters. I liked Skyward Sword's characters (especially the first quest with Batreaux because it was a mystery and more than three characters are involved), but I found it hard to really appreciate them because they were so disconnected from the outside world. At the end of the game, not a single one of them even knows that Zelda has been in danger the whole time. I'd also like events to happen in the story that change towns, even temporarily. Your natural disaster idea comes to mind. For example, I liked when a storm hits Windfall Island, and Tetra's pirates come to drink in the bar. Windfall Island was so good, by the way.

1) Caves that actually go somewhere. 2d Zeldas do this. I want to go into a cave, have a ton of different branches and exits. I want to come out in a completely different area. TP did this once with the tunnel to N. Faron Woods, but didn't use it again, and that one only had one exit.

This needs to happen.

2) Sandstorms in the desert change the topography. Maybe the sand blows around and uncovers a hidden cave, or old ruins to explore.

This is an excellent idea, but I believe it needs to be predictable. That's part of (I'm going there again) Majora's Mask's charm. It had a repeatable time cycle, so that allowed you to know what was going to happen three days in advance. The spectacular part about this is that each day was different. In other games with schedules and such, I think every day is identical. You need to have some sort of cue to know that, "Okay, tomorrow, a cave should be uncovered in the desert." It's immensely empowering to know something will happen before it happens, and this applies to characters as well. To this day, I still know that Gorman starts in the Stock Pot Inn on Day 1 and will enter the Mayor's house at precisely 10:00 AM. I also know that it will rain on Day 2 every single time. It's a great feeling.

3) An ocean. With tides. And Giant Enemy Crabs. Even if we don't get to sail on it. I still want to explore a coastline. Above the water and below it as well.

4) I want to take a boat out into the ocean and deep sea fish.

5) I want it to rain randomly. Previously in the series, when it has rained, it's been at very specific times. I'd like real weather effects: rain, snow, hail, etc for no good reason other than the weather engine decides it's a good day for an umbrella.

6) A true, honest to god forest. I want to be able to enter the forest at any point and leave at any point, not just follow preset paths. I want to find a cottage deep in the woods that hasn't been touched in a hundred years. Or follow a creek as it turns into a stream with waterfalls.

Just make the world real. Somewhere you'd actually like to visit if it wasn't infested with monsters that would like nothing better than to put your head on a pike.

I agree with all of this, but I don't mind if I never get to deep sea fish.

You have some really great ideas. It makes me a little sad that Nintendo might not create a game like this, but I know that I'll love whatever Nintendo makes.

I do have one of those ideas that fall into the category of "Idiotic Fan Ideas That Aren't Zelda-like And Should Not Be Included," though. I'd really like the combat to evolve a bit. The enemies are much to passive to really be a threat. I'd like to see a Link with more dynamic moves and special abilities. I wouldn't mind seeing combos. Yes, combos. Enemies could be more aggressive as well. The idea of a final Ganondorf duel has been used a couple of times already. While the setting is generally breathtaking (Wind Waker, I'm looking at you), the actual battle is rather boring to me. He'll block many of your attacks, and you might just keep swinging until it connects. Or something will occur during the battle that leaves him temporarily stunned. I don't know, these battles just don't excite me that much. But yeah, I know that's not really Zelda-like, so I don't mind if it never happens.

RedSwirl

I'm going to concur with the people who admit how diversified the Zelda franchise has become (ironic considering how many people find it stale). I think the one common element that makes the franchise as a whole so good is how polished each game is. Supposedly there's a shitload of level design that get's thrown on the cutting room floor for each new game because it isn't "perfect". In my opinion that's the difference between Zelda and games like Darksiders or Okami.

Now there are certain elements of the franchise that I like more than others - namely the exploration element, which is why ALTTP, OOT, and WW are my favorite Zelda games, but I can appreciate the good points of other titles too (except MM, sadly). I thought SS was an extremely well-crafted game, especially in regards to the overall world.

That said, I do admit that playing through 3D Dot Game Heroes brought back a desire for the old top-down Zelda. I actually love Phantom Hourglass, mostly for its controls and its ingenuity in using them, but since ALTTP is my favorite game in the series, it'd be cool to see a return to that style. Something tells me that's the direction the 3DS Zelda is gonna go in. Miyamoto is even deciding on just doing a remake of ALTTP.

I don't think we're ever going to see combat in Zelda return to the difficulty you had pre-OOT though. I think that was completely a product of the times: gamers were more tolerant then, and let's not pretend those games had really complex combat. Zelda combat has always been simple, in fact SS probably has the most complex combat in the series, it just used to be harder because that's how things were back then. Nintendo certainly doesn't think today's gamer will be able to put up with the difficulty of LOZ, much less Zelda II.

In the end, I just want Nintendo to do whatever the fuck they want with the series. They know what they're doing if you ask me, and I don't think anyone on these message boards could think up a better Zelda game, myself included.

Anth0ny

As I repeatedly say whenever this discussion comes up:

Zelda is too many things to too many different people to ever have another iteration that is universally praised again.

Going further in one direction, whether it be puzzles, action, overworld, exploration, etc., is going to alienate the people who think otherwise. Balancing all those things would be impossible for actual humans to do in a satisfactory manner. Plus it would be a fucking confused game.

Eventually the game will roll around to whatever X person likes, but unless you're a fan of anything Zelda could possibly do (at which point it is irrelevant what the game is actually like), being in to the series for a specific style is mostly going to result in heartache.

Exactly. I don't see why the "You have to consider how other people feel about the series!" point is even brought up during during Zelda arguments. People are going to be let down at this point no matter what. It's an inevitability. Everyone expects something different.

Twilight Princess had some of the best dungeon design in the entire series. I often see it referred to as the best Zelda on GAF. I didn't think it was that great, because besides the dungeon design, the game is pretty mediocre. Pacing is bad, especially at the beginning. Music, story and characters are forgettable. The overworld is too big and empty, and Hyrule Field has fucking loading zones. However, the people who enjoyed the game obviously don't really care about all that stuff. To them, another Twilight Princess-like game with heavy focus on dungeon design would be a perfect sequel. I personally would be disappointed with such a game.

So, until the perfect storm happens and I get that Zelda game I want
by Retro
, I'll just keep replaying the old ones. And Dark Souls.

I really don't think PS4 and Xbox 720 games will look as good as Pixar.

If Nintendo EAD 1 were given the rumoured specs of the PS4 to play with, enough time and money then i think they could produce a 3D Mario game very close to maybe not Pixar but high level CGI movies.

A 'cartoony' style is much easier on the hardware than trying to make a realistic looking game, the GPU in the PS4 is rumoured to be 1.8 TFLOPS compared to the Wii U's 500 - 600 GFLOPS, quite a leap and look at what Ubisoft have come up with in a short time scale with a small budget (Rabbids Land, Rayman).

nordique

They obviously won't. That stuff is rendered on render farms that fill buildings and draw several hundred kW, and even those beasts can't render them in realtime.

Still, it could be a figurative statement too.

Not directed @ you wsippel, but I really believe some of us should all wait to actually see PS4/720 games before coming to conclusions about how much they may actually be a significant different, or fail to meet expectations

Meelow

Banned
If Nintendo EAD 1 were given the rumoured specs of the PS4 to play with, enough time and money then i think they could produce a 3D Mario game very close to maybe not Pixar but high level CGI movies.

A 'cartoony' style is much easier on the hardware than trying to make a realistic looking game, the GPU in the PS4 is rumoured to be 1.8 TFLOPS compared to the Wii U's 500 - 600 GFLOPS, quite a leap and look at what Ubisoft have come up with in a short time scale with a small budget (Rabbids Land, Rayman).

Yeah I think it's possible, look at this one picture of Game Party Champions for the Wii U (not the best quality picture but it's ok for now), it is considered a shovel ware (even though it looks pretty good), but the graphics are pretty impressive, as for the PS4 1.8 TFLOPS and the Wii U 500-600 GFLOPS that is 3x apart like rumored.

2492420-8518-rec.jpg

Hakai

Yeah I think it's possible, look at this one picture of Game Party Champions for the Wii U (not the best quality picture but it's ok for now), it is considered a shovel ware (even though it looks pretty good), but the graphics are pretty impressive, as for the PS4 1.8 TFLOPS and the Wii U 500-600 GFLOPS that is 3x apart like rumored.

2492420-8518-rec.jpg

Let's wait to see this in motion, it's definetely looking great, but it's just an image, it could be a bullshot, or whatever, so let's wait.

Exactly and that's shovel ware, made in prob 6 months from what company ?, you seen what EAD did with a 12FLOP GPU on Mario Galaxy, imagine what they would do with a GPU 150 times more powerful !.

PS4's GPU could be even more than 3 times more powerful, it all depends on how high it's clocked, FLOPs is a pretty useless indication of a GPU's power tbh, don't know why it has suddenly become the standard power gauge.

Core clock speed, Shader clock speed, Memory clock speed, Memory bandwidth rate, Pixel and Texture fill rate are all far more indicative of how powerful a GPU is, altho there is no way of ever knowing all of these without leaks.

You never know Sony and MS might get into a willy measuring contest at E3 and pull out all sorts of stats ;).

jmizzal

Anyone want to pre-order some Wii U games for $12 off?

http://www.examiner.com/article/newegg-holding-72-hour-sale-on-all-video-game-pre-orders

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=5556609&SID=

As you may notice the offer is only good for games $49.99 and up, so there are a couple of exclusions.

Edit: Promo code is required. It is: EMCNBHJ256

It tells me my email address is not valid to use the code, but I been signed up with them for a while.

wsippel

Banned

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Depressed buy the light third party love shown up to now, and annoyed by the poor efforts made on the Wii, I was wondering:

Would you like PS4Xbox8 to be presented from day1 with a tablet-like controller similar to the gamepad?

I'd probably like this fact, if it is something like the WiiU, with the gamepad as the main controller, while I'd prefer to avoid later copycat similar to the Move

the reasons are: I loved the remote, and I'd love to see more (for example) tps studied around that control scheme (as RE4 wii edition), and it was a pity to not have so many third party investments on the console. Move came later on, and just as a secondary peripheral, and saw even less effort in supporting this kind of control scheme (and Kinect is totally different)

Up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom