• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cool. Figured the conference would be around that time, but still nice to see it.

I'm sticking by my prediction that we'll see Japanese 3rd party announcements leading up to the conference, whether it be in a Nintendo Direct or Famitsu unveiling.

Hopefully, some confirmation for Iwatas event comes soon. It's not like NoAs gonna have anything new apart from price and date. Which won't change a thing about the unpromising lineup, obviously.

Now, now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

But

when

it

is...

revealed...

ibxBDxFPtjsnUt.gif
Holy Shit! Wtf was wrong with her? lol?
Cool. Figured the conference would be around that time, but still nice to see it.

I'm sticking by my prediction that we'll see Japanese 3rd party announcements leading up to the conference, whether it be in a Nintendo Direct or Famitsu unveiling.
I can side with that :)

Donnie

Exactly and that's shovel ware, made in prob 6 months from what company ?, you seen what EAD did with a 12FLOP GPU on Mario Galaxy, imagine what they would do with a GPU 150 times more powerful !.

PS4's GPU could be even more than 3 times more powerful, it all depends on how high it's clocked, FLOPs is a pretty useless indication of a GPU's power tbh, don't know why it has suddenly become the standard power gauge.

Core clock speed, Shader clock speed, Memory clock speed, Memory bandwidth rate, Pixel and Texture fill rate are all far more indicative of how powerful a GPU is, altho there is no way of ever knowing all of these without leaks.

You never know Sony and MS might get into a willy measuring contest at E3 and pull out all sorts of stats ;).

Clock speed is the most useless indicator of all. Flops on their own are for from definitive but they're a decent indicator of GPU performance.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Since when is September 13th in the second half of the month?

Yeah, two days wrong. against a lot of people claiming news for august...I WON!

;)

Other than that, I quote my previous post, lost in the new hype for the September conf:

Depressed buy the light third party love shown up to now, and annoyed by the poor efforts made on the Wii, I was wondering:

Would you like PS4Xbox8 to be presented from day1 with a tablet-like controller similar to the gamepad?

I'd probably like this fact, if it is something like the WiiU, with the gamepad as the main controller, while I'd prefer to avoid later copycat similar to the Move

the reasons are: I loved the remote, and I'd love to see more (for example) tps studied around that control scheme (as RE4 wii edition), and it was a pity to not have so many third party investments on the console. Move came later on, and just as a secondary peripheral, and saw even less effort in supporting this kind of control scheme (and Kinect is totally different)

Up to you

schuelma

Because I am a foolish optimist at heart, I will go out on a limb and predict a Wii U game announcement in Famitsu tonight.

Nintendo is holding a major Wii U press event in New York City on September 13, hosted by Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. An invitation sent to select media outlets today promised a day that will let us learn "more about how the Wii U will change the future of gaming and entertainment."

edit: beaten!

That's the day of my workplace's blood drive.

Do you hear that Nintendo? I am sacrificially blood letting for you!

Yeah, I mean Wii U is supposedly like 3 x the Xbox 360 but it may just be on par :/

3x the 360 sounds a good bit stronger than the rumoured specs we have seen from bg and IM and all them peeps. No component has been strongly rumoured to be 3x as high as any equivalent component of any current console.

That's the day of my workplace's blood drive.

Do you hear that Nintendo? I am sacrificially blood letting for you!

3x the 360 sounds a good bit stronger than the rumoured specs we have seen from bg and IM and all them peeps. No component has been strongly rumoured to be 3x as high as any equivalent component of any current console.

Isn't the ram rumored to be 3x the 360?

That's kinda how I see it. Nintendo has changed up the Zelda formula so drastically so many times (despite what internet trolls may claim) that I don't think you can pinpoint exactly what makes a Zelda game "Zelda".

To me, Dark Souls is a better Zelda game than Skyward Sword.

I've only been gaming on a Nintendo console for the first time this gen. I'd say that the Zelda formula, the Darksiders formula and - one that most people forget about for some reason - the Metroid formula are all pretty similar in that progress through the game is dependant on getting a weapon/item/power to continue to previously restricted areas, often involving exploration and backtracking. And it works really well imo.

I don't think the formula needs changing for any of the three franchises as long as the level design, puzzles, weapons and boss fights are well done.

schuelma

You guys are setting up hype trains...inside of hype trains lol

It really is absurd that predicting one measly Wii U Japanese game announcement when the console launches in almost 3 months is considered to be feeding the hype train.

Nintendo really is nuts.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
We will most likely still see a Nintendo Direct this week (wouldn't be surprised if they officially announce the WiiU conference then), which will most likely be heavy on 3DS. This Fall conference was alluded to by Iwata in the latest investor meeting, so it's not much of a surprise. I suspect to see one for each major region.

Always nice to have a date though.

We will most likely still see a Nintendo Direct this week (wouldn't be surprised if they officially announce the WiiU conference then), which will most likely be heavy on 3DS. This Fall conference was alluded to by Iwata in the latest investor meeting, so it's not much of a surprise. I suspect to see one for each major region.

Always nice to have a date though.

I was hoping, but thought it was wishful thinking. The more I think about it though, the more sense it makes.

Anth0ny

Yup, still expecting a Nintendo Direct this week for 3DS. Probably with nothing new, just going over all the dates for this holiday/early 2013.

So I just learned that the Wii U's power brick is rated at 75watts. Does this mean that the console's innards can equal 75watts?

If so the Wii U can be a decently powerful machine if they chose the parts right.

So I just learned that the Wii U's power brick is rated at 75watts. Does this mean that the console's innards can equal 75watts?

If so the Wii U can be a decently powerful machine if they chose the parts right.
Did you see that at a wii u event? And i don't know......that still pretty low to me

Isn't the ram rumored to be 3x the 360?

That is true. I was thinking from the perspective of speed, though. While freeing up RAM can yield a fairly tremendous amount of performance, in general performance comparisons are based on things like the rated speed of the components.

Also, we don't yet know if the Wii U will have something like 3x the RAM of the 360 before taking out the sizeable chunk for system usage or after. It may be that the Wii U will have just a little more than twice as much RAM for game usage as the 360 once everything is considered.

The_Lump

Banned

That's a theoretical maximum. For safety reasons it won't draw anything too close to that number.

Still more than enough for a decently powerful and efficient box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom