• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

It really is absurd that predicting one measly Wii U Japanese game announcement when the console launches in almost 3 months is considered to be feeding the hype train.

Nintendo really is nuts.

Its pretty amazing that we havent had one unannounced Japanese game leak or rumor, we have had a lot of western games leaks or rumors like CODBO2, Need For Speed Most Wanted and 007 Legends and other digital games.

D-e-f-

Banned
Blowout = Price, date, ,,only'' one friend code per account confirmation + all E3 games all over again, which will also happen to be the mysterious 2013 titles.

they don't need to confirm that. the 3DS already does that. it's obvious the Wii U will have at least the same setup, if not even simpler (which they implied already)

I wonder what people's reaction would be if Nintendo announced GTAV was a Wii U exclusive at the conference?.

the notion is ridiculous. no need to even entertain the thought for fun.

mimho

So we have a conference to wait for....

I suggest relaxed hype....
yoga.jpg

Saying "Oṃ maṇi pikmin hūṃ......."

The_Lump

Banned
I see. So what kind of number should we expect?

Some will tell you 80% of the max rating is the absolute limit of safe operation, others will point out devices which push it closer to the edge. I'd take an optimistic guesstimation of 60w under extreme load (remember that includes accounting for all USB ports drawing power, disc drive, CPU, gpu running full whack)

But I am a bona fide layman.

Meelow

Banned
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/21/nintendo-hosting-wii-u-press-event-in-september

According to IGN the conference/event is 6 hours long :D.

In less than a month, Nintendo will finally reveal more information about its forthcoming console, Wii U - hopefully including that long-awaited release date and price. Today the company sent out invitations to select media outlets, confirming that a Wii U preview event will take place in New York on Thursday, September 13 from 10:00am to 4:00pm EDT.

Some will tell you 80% of the max rating is the absolute limit of safe operation, others will point out devices which push it closer to the edge. I'd take an optimistic guesstimation of 60w under extreme load (remember that includes accounting for all USB ports drawing power, disc drive, CPU, gpu running full whack)

At 60w things are getting a bit tight :p

Can anyone give out "accurate" wattage for each component (RAM,USB Ports etc.)in the Wii U?

Seriously, if this is just a preview event of the games we already know and a release date and price I'll be really disappointed. I hope they at least show the UI in detail.

That's exactly what the 3DS launch event/conference was, though.
And if it happens, I simply see no way of me supporting this console. At this point, the lineup and concept still feel like a teaser for the real thing at best.

Well, at least according to this page, the Wii used less than 20W under load. According to this, its actual power supply is rated at 52W, though I have no idea if that's true, and it's pretty easy for most of us to check.

I'd surmise that the Wii U will come much closer to its power supply's limit than the Wii did, but it's nice to know some actual numbers. More or less, we should probably expect that the Wii U will draw at least twice but less than four times the power that the Wii draws.

Wii U power 3x Wii confirmed! ;P

Meelow

Banned
And if it happens, I simply see no way of me supporting this console. At this point, the lineup and concept still feel like a teaser for the real thing at best.

The thing is though, we knew what games would come out in 2011 for the 3DS, we still have no idea what's coming out in 2013 for the Wii U.

jerd

This is what I think, but it just seems like we know SO LITTLE. Surely they will at least detail Nintendo Network? More about Miiverse? "Accomplishments"? No? Yeah probably not...

The thing is though, we knew what games would come out in 2011 for the 3DS, we still have no idea what's coming out in 2013 for the Wii U.

I think November release seems like a safe bet at this point, so the launch window automatically falls into 2013. And remembering some of the worst times of Nintendo (2008) and Reggie bullshit over the years etc, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't going to be any major announcements until next E3.

MarkusRJR

Guys, maybe they with have a last minute Nintendo Direct where they announce new games, then in the September's conference they reveal price, date, etc and allow hands in time for people there.

Nope. :(

jerd

I think November release seems like a safe bet at this point, so the launch window automatically falls into 2013. And remembering some of the worst times of Nintendo (2008) and Reggie bullshit over the years etc, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't going to be any major announcements until next E3.

I'm so excited, I'm already getting pre-disappointed!

JordanN

Banned
So I just learned that the Wii U's power brick is rated at 75watts. Does this mean that the console's innards can equal 75watts?

If so the Wii U can be a decently powerful machine if they chose the parts right.
75 Watts is how much energy it can draw.

The console could only use 20watts in standby and 60watts when in load for example.

Donnie

That's the day of my workplace's blood drive.

Do you hear that Nintendo? I am sacrificially blood letting for you!

3x the 360 sounds a good bit stronger than the rumoured specs we have seen from bg and IM and all them peeps. No component has been strongly rumoured to be 3x as high as any equivalent component of any current console.

It's very difficult to rate a component accurately as x times as powerful let alone a system overall. But as far as rumour goes system RAM is supposed to be 3x or more. GPU embedded memory is definitely more than 3x. Shader performance is also looking like it'll be 3x.

The_Lump

Banned
At 60w things are getting a bit tight :p

Can anyone give out "accurate" wattage for each component (RAM,USB Ports etc.)in the Wii U?

Some guys on b3d discussed this in some depth a few months back when the power brick was revealed but was obv all based on pure speculation as no one knows what type of hardware were looking at.

My guess is mobile componets may have been used where possible to keep power down. Again, pure guesswork.

The_Lump

Banned
Well, at least according to this page, the Wii used less than 20W under load. According to this, its actual power supply is rated at 52W, though I have no idea if that's true, and it's pretty easy for most of us to check.

I'd surmise that the Wii U will come much closer to its power supply's limit than the Wii did, but it's nice to know some actual numbers. More or less, we should probably expect that the Wii U will draw at least twice but less than four times the power that the Wii draws.

Wii U power 3x Wii confirmed! ;P

Yep and that's the problem, different devices can use completely different percentages of their max power rating! It really doesn't tell us that much unfortunately but at least we have a ballpark :)

Meelow

Banned

Than we would still have no idea about the virtual console, etc.

Their should be two conferences in September, the one we know off and the Japanese one, Nintendo has to show 2013 games next month or it could hurt them, 2008 has nothing to do with now, 2009-2011 where good E3's, and Reggie was their when Nintendo was hyping up Wii and 3DS so it's clear it has nothing to do with him.

D-e-f-

Banned
The event will be 6 hours long for press to get interviews and play all the games there.

If we're lucky, they'll start it off with a streamed press conference OR a Nintendo Direct which compresses the info and new/updated game stuff into a 30min video or so.

I know some of you crazyheads are gonna start expecting a 6hour livestream and I advise you to start taking your meds again.

Actually, my friend.. we do

Aliens Colonial Marines and Tomb Raider (?) lulwut! :p

Aliens is definitely coming, no idea why you bring up Tomb Raider, which is not coming.

Injustice: Gods Among Us is also coming 2013, by the way.

Than we would still have no idea about the virtual console, etc.

Their should be two conferences in September, the one we know off and the Japanese one, Nintendo has to show 2013 games next month or it could hurt them, 2008 has nothing to do with now, 2009-2011 where good E3's, and Reggie was their when Nintendo was hyping up Wii and 3DS so it's clear it has nothing to do with him.

These were just some rough examples to say that after following Nintendo so closely this generation, it doesn't add up in my opinion that they would hold back some major announcements from E3 especially to save it for this event, which I believe will certainly be all about the same launch material again, just as the 3DS equivalent. (The NoA version anyway) At least games-wise. As I've said, the launch window goes into 2013 and silence after that until next years E3 would be typical Nintendo douchebaggery. I feel more signs are pointing towards this option, rather than some crazy blowout that could redeem such a huge ,,re-reveal'' fuckup. The best thing I could imagine are a couple of Japanese ports and smaller scale exclusives at Iwatas event, that eventually also make it to PAL territories.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Looks like Famitsu info is starting to leak. Looks like my prediction was....premature! Until next week!!

Meelow

Banned
These were just some rough examples to say that after following Nintendo so closely this generation, it doesn't add up in my opinion that they would hold back some major announcements from E3 especially to save it for this event, which I believe will certainly be all about the same launch material again, just as the 3DS equivalent. (The NoA version anyway) At least games-wise. As I've said, the launch window goes into 2013 and silence after that until next years E3 would be typical Nintendo douchebaggery. I feel more signs are pointing towards this option, rather than some crazy blowout that could redeem such a huge ,,re-reveal'' fuckup. The best thing I could imagine are a couple of Japanese ports and smaller scale exclusives at Iwatas event, that eventually also make it to PAL territories.

Nobody is treating E3 like it's important anymore, Nintendo rather announce stuff at their own conferences where it's just all about them, Iwata said "at Fall we are going to make sure to convince people to get the Wii U", showing only launch games again with nothing else would hurt Nintendo much more than help them, E3 to Nintendo isn't important enough for big blowouts anymore, and that goes to Microsoft as well.

Nintendo needs to announce 2013 games out of the launch window, they need to show the Virtual Console, they need to show the Nintendo Network, and the menu, etc.

They won't wait till E3 2013 to show stuff that we should know before the console releases.

Looks like Famitsu info is starting to leak. Looks like my prediction was....premature! Until next week!!

What info?.

Four reasons why Nintendo should use a resolution of 960x540 for the Wii U Controller's screen (though it's probably too late to make this change assuming the console is still due out in 2012).

As a foreword, I just want to say that I think Nintendo should mandate that every Wii U title be rendered natively at a resolution of 1920x1080 at a rock solid 30 fps, with 60 fps for the racing and fighting genres. That would do a lot to win core gamers over, and the system is powerful enough to mandate this. Given this stipulation...

At E3, it was revealed that the Wii U controller demo units at e3 had a screen resolution of 854x480. I just wanted to share with you my input on why I think a resolution of 960x540, frequently referred to as a qHD resolution would be vastly preferable for the Wii U controller.

1. A full 1080p game like Rayman Origins streamed onto a qHD screen would look absolutely gorgeous. There are no compression or scaling artifacts when going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD. Unfortunately, if you had to scale instead to a resolution of 854x480, there will be compression and scaling artifacts apparent, which hurts the image quality. In addition, it would actually use more system resources to scale down to that resolution since the ratio is off. On the other hand, the resource use to scale an 1080p image to a qHD resolution would be very minimal..

2. One of the most sought after and frequently used functions of the Wii U will be to stream netflix movies, game trailers and other videos directly onto the controller even when the tv is being used by someone else. Much of that content is already at resolutions of 1080p or at worst 720p and videos at a 1080p resolutions will be even more common place by 2012 and 2013. From my experience with video conversion, processing and scaling, I can tell you that converting a HD resolution to a resolution of 960x540 (qHD) scales far better, uses less processing power, and results in stunningly beautiful results.This is because when you are going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD, you are scaling down exactly by a factor of four. Every four pixels can be combined down to one pixel and the results end up looking impeccable. The results when scaling from a 1080p or 720p video down to a resolution of 854x480 actually requires more processing resources and still doesn't look anywhere near as nice.

3. Given the size of the screen, and the distance the typical person will be holding from their face, pixel density absolutely does matter. At a resolution of 854x480 on a 6.2 inch screen, you end up with a pixel density of close to 150. At that value, you will definitely be able to see pixelation of the images on the controller and it won't look quite as nice. However, at a qHD resolution, the pixel density becomes closer to 200, which is optimal. Not only will be pixels be difficult to notice and pixellation minimal, but you could easily display text on the controller's screen and have it look crisp and very readible. I know that there are currently no plans to stream ebooks from the console down to the controller (though I see no reason to close the door on this entirely), I am certain that even for the purpose of games, like Scribblenauts for the Wii U, being able to display on the screen will be useful.

4. I expect that one of the most valuable features of the Wii U's controller is in Split-screen Multiplayer. While assymetric multiplayer is nice, traditional multiplatform games like Call of Duty will largely offer up traditional split-screen multiplayer where the splits a 1080p screen into four identical rectangle on the tv to display for each of up to four players. While this is fine if the players are playing with Wiimotes and nunchucks, if the players are instead playing with a Wii U controller, each of the four player's windows could be streamed perfectly, with zero scaling and very minimal processing needed to a qHD screen. However, if the screen had to scale down to lower resolution for the controller, this eats up more processing resources which are especially important during local multiplayer gaming (a resource intensive task already).

These are also the reason why I'm very happy that Sony made the correct decision to make the Vita qHD (resolution of 960x540) and excited to use the Vita as a controller for the PS4.

Meelow

Banned
That. Was. Amazing.

I'm listening to this on a loop for 6hrs solid before the September conference, to cleanse my mind of all things none-nintendo and make room for the avalanche of sweet, sweet info.

I strongly suggest you all do the same.

Maybe.

PS3 games.

Ahh, what PS3 games?.

Minna no golf and something else.

Nothing for Wii U.

Ahh, didn't even know they where unveiling info for games.

The_Lump

Banned
Four reasons why Nintendo should use a resolution of 960x540 for the Wii U Controller's screen (though it's probably too late to make this change assuming the console is still due out in 2012).

As a foreword, I just want to say that I think Nintendo should mandate that every Wii U title be rendered natively at a resolution of 1920x1080 at a rock solid 30 fps, with 60 fps for the racing and fighting genres. That would do a lot to win core gamers over, and the system is powerful enough to mandate this. Given this stipulation...

At E3, it was revealed that the Wii U controller demo units at e3 had a screen resolution of 854x480. I just wanted to share with you my input on why I think a resolution of 960x540, frequently referred to as a qHD resolution would be vastly preferable for the Wii U controller.

1. A full 1080p game like Rayman Origins streamed onto a qHD screen would look absolutely gorgeous. There are no compression or scaling artifacts when going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD. Unfortunately, if you had to scale instead to a resolution of 854x480, there will be compression and scaling artifacts apparent, which hurts the image quality. In addition, it would actually use more system resources to scale down to that resolution since the ratio is off. On the other hand, the resource use to scale an 1080p image to a qHD resolution would be very minimal..

2. One of the most sought after and frequently used functions of the Wii U will be to stream netflix movies, game trailers and other videos directly onto the controller even when the tv is being used by someone else. Much of that content is already at resolutions of 1080p or at worst 720p and videos at a 1080p resolutions will be even more common place by 2012 and 2013. From my experience with video conversion, processing and scaling, I can tell you that converting a HD resolution to a resolution of 960x540 (qHD) scales far better, uses less processing power, and results in stunningly beautiful results.This is because when you are going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD, you are scaling down exactly by a factor of four. Every four pixels can be combined down to one pixel and the results end up looking impeccable. The results when scaling from a 1080p or 720p video down to a resolution of 854x480 actually requires more processing resources and still doesn't look anywhere near as nice.

3. Given the size of the screen, and the distance the typical person will be holding from their face, pixel density absolutely does matter. At a resolution of 854x480 on a 6.2 inch screen, you end up with a pixel density of close to 150. At that value, you will definitely be able to see pixelation of the images on the controller and it won't look quite as nice. However, at a qHD resolution, the pixel density becomes closer to 200, which is optimal. Not only will be pixels be difficult to notice and pixellation minimal, but you could easily display text on the controller's screen and have it look crisp and very readible. I know that there are currently no plans to stream ebooks from the console down to the controller (though I see no reason to close the door on this entirely), I am certain that even for the purpose of games, like Scribblenauts for the Wii U, being able to display on the screen will be useful.

4. I expect that one of the most valuable features of the Wii U's controller is in Split-screen Multiplayer. While assymetric multiplayer is nice, traditional multiplatform games like Call of Duty will largely offer up traditional split-screen multiplayer where the splits a 1080p screen into four identical rectangle on the tv to display for each of up to four players. While this is fine if the players are playing with Wiimotes and nunchucks, if the players are instead playing with a Wii U controller, each of the four player's windows could be streamed perfectly, with zero scaling and very minimal processing needed to a qHD screen. However, if the screen had to scale down to lower resolution for the controller, this eats up more processing resources which are especially important during local multiplayer gaming (a resource intensive task already).

These are also the reason why I'm very happy that Sony made the correct decision to make the Vita qHD (resolution of 960x540) and excited to use the Vita as a controller for the PS4.

Nice idea. But it doesn't/won't use qHD. There is evidence of scaling artefacts if reports are to be believed. Plus it's Nintendo and unnecessary costs are not their modus operandum.

Will make little difference though. The screen looks great and does what it needs to do sufficiently.

Guys, maybe they with have a last minute Nintendo Direct where they announce new games, then in the September's conference they reveal price, date, etc and allow hands in time for people there.

Nope. :(

Not sure about that but hoping that they stream the Press Conference live. Need to continue those news sources since Nintendo Power is gonna be gone

Nobody is treating E3 like it's important anymore, Nintendo rather announce stuff at their own conferences where it's just all about them, Iwata said "at Fall we are going to make sure to convince people to get the Wii U", showing only launch games again with nothing else would hurt Nintendo much more than help them, E3 to Nintendo isn't important enough for big blowouts anymore, and that goes to Microsoft as well.

Nintendo needs to announce 2013 games out of the launch window, they need to show the Virtual Console, they need to show the Nintendo Network, and the menu, etc.

They won't wait till E3 2013 to show stuff that we should know before the console releases.

A crappy E3 might just be... you know, a crappy E3. Really, these Directs as of now haven't been convincing in a way that E3 seems obsolete and the previous launch event of its kind for 3DS wasn't either, plus that one wasn't even that long ago.
Of course it would hurt them, rightfully so, but imo everything indicates that they probably can not even show anything off, cause there's nothing ready. At least when it comes to games, obviously they will discuss their services. However, I expect that they simply fucked up when it comes to HD games development (or that they are beyond arrogant at this point). Looking at Intelligent Systems' first game which looks outright pathetic doesn't give me too much hope, neither all these interviews with internal developers that basically go like ,,Haha, yeah well we're still gathering ideas how [insert pretty much any Nintendo franchise] would work well on the WiiU, but we feel there's lots of potential and it could be great!!''.

Hey, at least I can only be pleasantly surprised later on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom