• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned
A crappy E3 might just be... you know, a crappy E3. Really, these Directs as of now haven't been convincing in a way that E3 seems obsolete and the previous launch event of its kind for 3DS wasn't either, plus that one wasn't even that long ago.
Of course it would hurt them, rightfully so, but imo everything indicates that they probably can not even show anything off, cause there's nothing ready. At least when it comes to games, obviously they will discuss their services. However, I expect that they simply fucked up when it comes to HD games development (or that they are beyond arrogant at this point). Looking at Intelligent Systems' first game which looks outright pathetic doesn't give me too much hope, neither all these interviews with internal developers that basically go like ,,Haha, yeah well we're still gathering ideas how [insert pretty much any Nintendo franchise] would work well on the WiiU, but we feel there's lots of potential and it could be great!!''.

Hey, at least I can only be pleasantly surprised later on :)

If Nintendo doesn't show knew first party games that's up to them but I'm talking about third party games they have to show, that's important, their is no reason to hide more info when the Wii U is coming out soon, Nintendo not giving us knew info would be stupid and shocking, even after E3 2012 it feels like we don't know much, their is lots to talk about for Wii U and it's time to announce it.

Banned
What are the chances of the Wii U's GPU to be on a 32nm process?

Also is it still confirmed the CPU to be 45nm?

CPU still confirmed to be 45nm. Still up in the air about the GPU, either 32nm or 40nm, most likely 40.

75W is the Wii U's max draw, but most likely at full load it will only draw 65.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
*whistles*

Man they are really cutting it close in Japan. They have literally unveiled nothing in Japan and if they wait until the 13th that is going to be at most 2.5 months between 3rd party unveilings and launch.

Four reasons why Nintendo should use a resolution of 960x540 for the Wii U Controller's screen (though it's probably too late to make this change assuming the console is still due out in 2012).

As a foreword, I just want to say that I think Nintendo should mandate that every Wii U title be rendered natively at a resolution of 1920x1080 at a rock solid 30 fps, with 60 fps for the racing and fighting genres. That would do a lot to win core gamers over, and the system is powerful enough to mandate this. Given this stipulation...

At E3, it was revealed that the Wii U controller demo units at e3 had a screen resolution of 854x480. I just wanted to share with you my input on why I think a resolution of 960x540, frequently referred to as a qHD resolution would be vastly preferable for the Wii U controller.

1. A full 1080p game like Rayman Origins streamed onto a qHD screen would look absolutely gorgeous. There are no compression or scaling artifacts when going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD. Unfortunately, if you had to scale instead to a resolution of 854x480, there will be compression and scaling artifacts apparent, which hurts the image quality. In addition, it would actually use more system resources to scale down to that resolution since the ratio is off. On the other hand, the resource use to scale an 1080p image to a qHD resolution would be very minimal..

2. One of the most sought after and frequently used functions of the Wii U will be to stream netflix movies, game trailers and other videos directly onto the controller even when the tv is being used by someone else. Much of that content is already at resolutions of 1080p or at worst 720p and videos at a 1080p resolutions will be even more common place by 2012 and 2013. From my experience with video conversion, processing and scaling, I can tell you that converting a HD resolution to a resolution of 960x540 (qHD) scales far better, uses less processing power, and results in stunningly beautiful results.This is because when you are going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD, you are scaling down exactly by a factor of four. Every four pixels can be combined down to one pixel and the results end up looking impeccable. The results when scaling from a 1080p or 720p video down to a resolution of 854x480 actually requires more processing resources and still doesn't look anywhere near as nice.

3. Given the size of the screen, and the distance the typical person will be holding from their face, pixel density absolutely does matter. At a resolution of 854x480 on a 6.2 inch screen, you end up with a pixel density of close to 150. At that value, you will definitely be able to see pixelation of the images on the controller and it won't look quite as nice. However, at a qHD resolution, the pixel density becomes closer to 200, which is optimal. Not only will be pixels be difficult to notice and pixellation minimal, but you could easily display text on the controller's screen and have it look crisp and very readible. I know that there are currently no plans to stream ebooks from the console down to the controller (though I see no reason to close the door on this entirely), I am certain that even for the purpose of games, like Scribblenauts for the Wii U, being able to display on the screen will be useful.

4. I expect that one of the most valuable features of the Wii U's controller is in Split-screen Multiplayer. While assymetric multiplayer is nice, traditional multiplatform games like Call of Duty will largely offer up traditional split-screen multiplayer where the splits a 1080p screen into four identical rectangle on the tv to display for each of up to four players. While this is fine if the players are playing with Wiimotes and nunchucks, if the players are instead playing with a Wii U controller, each of the four player's windows could be streamed perfectly, with zero scaling and very minimal processing needed to a qHD screen. However, if the screen had to scale down to lower resolution for the controller, this eats up more processing resources which are especially important during local multiplayer gaming (a resource intensive task already).

These are also the reason why I'm very happy that Sony made the correct decision to make the Vita qHD (resolution of 960x540) and excited to use the Vita as a controller for the PS4.

1. The Image of Rayman Legends (and other games) isn´t scaled. The Image is rendered TWICE, once in 720p/1080p (whatever the final version will use, the 720p E3 demo looks ACE as F*CK btw)) and again in 480p, So upping the resolution would require more juice and you´d gain nothing! Image in the pad looks sharp, crisp and very colorful in 480p!

2. The Videos would be scaled down to 480p but that dosen´t mean it´ll look bad. It has the same aspect ratio so no artifacts or any other anomaly would pop up. Did i already mention the screen looks super nice in real life?

3. I didn´t see ANY pixelation on the Wii U Gamepad screen whatsoever. And i had it pretty close to my face. Bte, the screen looks really really good IRL

4. Due to bandwidth restrictions of the wireless module, Nintendo is capable to send MAX. 480p@60fps to ONE pad. Connect two and both pads share the bandwidth, limiting both pads to 30fps. Upping the resolution to qhd would lower the 60fps to something like 45, making 2 pads already impossible, unless you like playing with ~22FPS (On the PAD) or LESS. And with 4 pads you gonna have one hell oh a qhd slideshow. Streaming a 480p image at 60fps with next to no laf is already quite a task.

If Nintendo doesn't show knew first party games that's up to them but I'm talking about third party games they have to show, that's important, their is no reason to hide more info when the Wii U is coming out soon, Nintendo not giving us knew info would be stupid and shocking, even after E3 2012 it feels like we don't know much, their is lots to talk about for Wii U and it's time to announce it.

I guess I just expect something different from a ,,blowout'', lol. Sure, some further explanations about the Online will be there, alongside concrete release dates and whatnot, perhaps a couple of additional ports from Western 3rds, but that's basically the bare minimum that has to be revealed to throw this thing on to the market in the first place... I don't think I, or many of the skeptics, would look at the console differently afterwards, unless there's some huge surprise about the price.
I only see Iwatas event with potential, since he has kept Japanese 3rd party games under wraps (officially, unlike whatever dreams you apparently have about not-yet revealed Western support) but even then he would have to reveal exclusives like P-100 rather than ports from Japan to make up for the lacklustre WiiU showings until now. The complete lack of fullfledged 1st party support apart from the Pikmin up-port is the biggest joke until now, after all.

Meelow

Banned
I guess I just expect something different from a ,,blowout'', lol. Sure, some further explanations about the Online will be there, alongside concrete release dates and whatnot, perhaps a couple of additional ports from Western 3rds, but that's basically the bare minimum that has to be revealed to throw this thing on to the market in the first place... I don't think I, or many of the skeptics, would look at the console differently afterwards, unless there's some huge surprise about the price.
I only see Iwatas event with potential, since he has kept Japanese 3rd party games under wraps (officially, unlike whatever dreams you apparently have about not-yet revealed Western support) but even then he would have to reveal exclusives like P-100 rather than ports from Japan to make up for the lacklustre WiiU showings until now. The complete lack of fullfledged 1st party support apart from the Pikmin up-port is the biggest joke until now, after all.

Actually I saw some people say if Nintendo impresses me for the Wii U I'll buy it, if Nintendo does a really great conference it can pull people to buy the Wii U.

mgcastro

This thread has been a rollercoaster for the past 24 hours. I'd like to hop on this infamous hype train, I suppose there's nothing to lose. lol

Pittree

So what do you guys think we will get from the September 13 event? I recall something similar on New York before the wii launch.

Tehalemi

I'm literally 45 minutes from NYC. At this point the only thing stopping me from busting in there on the 13th is that I'm not part of any press/media outlet. :p

ElFly

As I repeatedly say whenever this discussion comes up:

Zelda is too many things to too many different people to ever have another iteration that is universally praised again.

Going further in one direction, whether it be puzzles, action, overworld, exploration, etc., is going to alienate the people who think otherwise. Balancing all those things would be impossible for actual humans to do in a satisfactory manner. Plus it would be a fucking confused game.

Eventually the game will roll around to whatever X person likes, but unless you're a fan of anything Zelda could possibly do (at which point it is irrelevant what the game is actually like), being in to the series for a specific style is mostly going to result in heartache.

That's fair but I doubt anybody is emotionally invested in tutorials that last for hours before you are allowed to enter the first dungeon or having a prompt interrupt you every time you pick a rupee to explain you the concept of currency or enemies that barely try to hit you and do a quarter heart damage.

Sadist

Man they are really cutting it close in Japan. They have literally unveiled nothing in Japan and if they wait until the 13th that is going to be at most 2.5 months between 3rd party unveilings and launch.
My impression of Japanese gamers is they just don't care. They'll hear about a game and they'll buy it. Guess they don't need the big pre-hype.

MH Tri G was announced like 2.5 months in advance of it's release? People just bought it.

Or I'm just spouting nonsense, had a few beers so I'm not entirely 100%

Edit: John Harker spreading hope and doubt with his comment lol

Meelow

Banned
People that are hoping they show Retro's new game to be at the conference, I'm not hyping it again, I expected it to be at E3 2012 and than it wasn't so I will be very happy if they show it but I'm not expecting it.

Meelow

Banned
Retro next game is an E3 2013 locked

Yeah, I definitely expect Nintendo to try to steal the thunder of the PS4 and Xbox 720 announcement at E3 2013, can you imagine though if Sony or Microsoft announced the Ps4 or Xbox 720 at E3 2012, Nintendo's conference would of been much better.

Looking back at the first page it looks like we could just copy paste it. I would not know what to call it though. Would it still be hardware debating and speculation at the end of the conference next month?

Tehalemi

Looking back at the first page it looks like we could just copy paste it. I would not know what to call it though. Would it still be hardware debating and speculation at the end of the conference next month?

Maybe take a little que from Gameplaywhore's thread title:

The Nintendo Wii U Launch Thread: (╯°□°)╯︵ [○⁘▓▓▓+○]

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Stewox

Banned
That is true. I was thinking from the perspective of speed, though. While freeing up RAM can yield a fairly tremendous amount of performance, in general performance comparisons are based on things like the rated speed of the components.

Also, we don't yet know if the Wii U will have something like 3x the RAM of the 360 before taking out the sizeable chunk for system usage or after. It may be that the Wii U will have just a little more than twice as much RAM for game usage as the 360 once everything is considered.

The rumor was either 2 GB with 512MB reserved in dev kits, another thing was IdeaMan's inaccurate information regarding which memory was he talking about, it all seemd like it was the 512 MB of STORAGE Flash, that has nothing to do with RAM, only a portion of that gets loaded into memory.

The OS it self will not take more than 100MB, way less even if programmed well.

The only scenario where nintendo my actually reserve some additional RAM, like a 100 MB or so is the Suspend Function when games keep running and game data sits in RAM while you surf on the net and watch videos, all that flash stuff needs memory, and if games take up all the RAM with the OS then there would be no room to do practically anything while suspended.

There are several solutions to this one of which i extensively explained but I cannot link it right now cause Im typing from Wii.

Right now I recalled another solution, the FLASH STORAGE that's on WiiU may be an ideal pagefile for the web stuff, may just take a bit longer to load or seek but it wouldnt had to take RAM reservation in advance.

Still 512 MB of reservation for OS stuff and web is totally unrealistic and absurd, no way, and if for some reason it does ship like that, it will be unlocked by a system update.

And a word on BS multiplier. Stuff that is on paper totally depends on what kind of it is, ram is 3x more than X360, RAM is the biggest bottleneck, this is an important value, the real world benefit would actually be twice as much, because the difference you would see in texture quality would have been significant, not to mention better effects on top and other things possible with the extra RAM at hand.
RAM has nothing to do with performance, if the WiiU GPU or CPU is not as powerful as we previously thought that just means devs wont be able to to have that many enemies on screen or Ai operations, physics calculations etc. RAM is needed for textures, textures are the most important factor in graphics quality.

And people should stop talking about the "performance" bla bla bla, because it's anything but performance. Developers will do anything necessary in order to hit 30 or 60 FPS, all at the expense of graphics, game design, post processing, physics quality, level size and evironment, Ai interactions, ..etc. It's all about the tradeoffs, but in WiiU case the sound quality is an exception thanks to the audio DSP which makes huge sense for easier development and helps in many areas not only a better end result. Audio quality will stay the same given that it has enough RAM, it won't be directly affected and won't have to tradeoff it's performance, what's the point of utilizing 50% of Audio DSP if it can't be used for anything else. Audio DSP is such an awesome thing it also prevents developers from cheesing their GFX and tradeoffing sound making games very horrible to hear, I wouldn't be happy by the crappy sound work. The audio DSP also helps devs to not worry about sound when developing game, this leaves the sound team to fully know the capabilities of the system and can begin making their sound recordings or whatever, i belive it has a lot of development reasons that's why nintendo wont let it off, these are smarter decisions of a company that knows what it does in the software side and creates solutions in the hardware.

I added this to the OP ;P

t1347595200z4.png

So, where was the Direct though? It's the 22nd. I guess there isn't too much in the next two months you could talk about, lol... Pokemon, maybe Paper Mario.

jacksrb

A few things:

1. You guys are crazy...but in a fun way. The non-event of the ND was more entertaining than many non-E3 events anyway

2. I am just glad we know when we will know. That makes a big difference to me. And it is no surprise that they are following the Wii pattern.

3. What first party games do you think will be there at launch?

My guesses:
- NintendoLand
- NSMBU
- Ninja Gaiden 3
- Sing

Pikmin 3 before Christmas, Wii Fit U in January, Project P-100 in March

Roo

A few things:

1. You guys are crazy...but in a fun way. The non-event of the ND was more entertaining than many non-E3 events anyway

2. I am just glad we know when we will know. That makes a big difference to me. And it is no surprise that they are following the Wii pattern.

3. What first party games do you think will be there at launch?

My guesses:
- NintendoLand
- NSMBU
- Ninja Gaiden 3
- Sing

Pikmin 3 before Christmas, Wii Fit U in January, Project P-100 in March

idk.. something tells me Pikmin 3 will be a 2013 title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom