• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the day of my workplace's blood drive.

Do you hear that Nintendo? I am sacrificially blood letting for you!

3x the 360 sounds a good bit stronger than the rumoured specs we have seen from bg and IM and all them peeps. No component has been strongly rumoured to be 3x as high as any equivalent component of any current console.

We're looking at 3 times the power of the 360 on paper - 3MB of CPU cache compared to 1MB, 32MB of eDRAM on the GPU compared to 10MB and 1.5-2GB of RAM compared to 512MB. And a DSP, IO chip and OoOE CPU. For my money that could make it up to 4 times more powerful in real world performance.

Does anyone want to help me with graphics? :(
lXXvz.png

Nope.

Banned
Bring on the Kojima quotes guys. The "unique controller" excuse is flying out left, right and centre now.

“I would say EA doesn’t make ports at all anymore. We try to make games that are ideal for each platform as much as possible. Obviously for PS3 and Xbox 360 the systems are similar, so we cross-develop. But we will always try to take an approach about what is unique for that platform. Wii U has many unique capabilities so you have to embrace the unique elements of the platform otherwise there’s not much point doing it at all.”

The quote is from WiiUDaily but the original article is here http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364064/interviews/eas-soderlund-adapt-or-become-irrelevant/

Meelow

Banned
Bring on the Kojima quotes guys. The "unique controller" excuse is flying out left, right and centre now.

The quote is from WiiUDaily but the original article is here http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364064/interviews/eas-soderlund-adapt-or-become-irrelevant/

Well EA never denied any game coming to Wii U with the statement, but I swear if devs say "it can't come to Wii U because we want to do something unique with the controller" I will go up to them and be like "THAN PUT IT ON THE PRO CONTROLLER".

I really don't care if a game doesn't use the Gamepad, I rather have the game than no game at all.

brainpann

Did I read correctly that the Wii U event in NYC is 6 hours long? Yeah, Yeah, I know that doesnt mean six hours of talking, etc BUT that does mean that Nintendo plans to show a substantial amount of material at the event and give the press sometime to play around.

Did I read correctly that the Wii U event in NYC is 6 hours long? Yeah, Yeah, I know that doesnt mean six hours of talking, etc BUT that does mean that Nintendo plans to show a substantial amount of material at the event and give the press sometime to play around.

hands on and interviews

AppleBlade

still buying black
I'm still seriously debating it. I have a black 360 and PS3 so it would match better. But the Wii U will be my family and friends local coop machine and I think the white would be less intimidating to my mom, sisters, etc. On the other hand I have plenty of cousins that love to hate on Nintendo and I can't wait to win them all over when I show them ZombiU as well as some of the mature 3rd party stuff (AC 3, COD: Black Ops 2, etc.) and I think black would do a better job of it.

Meelow

Banned
The trolls that say "Nintendo is kiddy" should read this...

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/08/21/donnchadh-murphy-chats-about-rare/

NES: Originally, Conker began development as a family game called Conker’s Quest/Twelve Tales, and then changed into a violent platform game with raunchy humor. Was Nintendo supportive of Rare’s decision to make such a dramatic change to the game? Or did they distance themselves from the project?

DM: Back in those days Rare was the golden child, so when they announced that we were changing direction there was no objections, none that I knew about anyway. I’m so glad it did change, because “Twelve Tales”, to put it politely, was not a good game. Chris Seavor took the reins in BFD and took it a direction nobody expected.

It seems Nintendo was perfectly fine with the change from happy to mature with Conker.

Sheroking

The trolls that say "Nintendo is kiddy" should read this...

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/08/21/donnchadh-murphy-chats-about-rare/

It seems Nintendo was perfectly fine with the change from happy to mature with Conker.

All you have to do is follow Chris Seavor on twitter to know that his experience with Nintendo was a good one.

He's clearly a fan (and slams Microsoft every chance he gets).

And yet they didn't publish it.

I don't think that policy changed until Eternal Darkness.

It's very difficult to rate a component accurately as x times as powerful let alone a system overall. But as far as rumour goes system RAM is supposed to be 3x or more. GPU embedded memory is definitely more than 3x. Shader performance is also looking like it'll be 3x.

I'd like to hear more about these subcomponents and where the information was gleaned from. All I've really heard ballparked was stuff like gpu GFLOPS (which in particular were along the lines of ~2x PS360, for instance) and the like, commentary about how the cpu isn't particularly faster than what's in currently selling systems, and speculation that Nintendo might not use memory as super fast as would otherwise seem their custom. I'd like to hear something solid that happens to be more optimistic.

Maybe take a little que from Gameplaywhore's thread title:

The Nintendo Wii U Launch Thread: (╯°□°)╯︵ [○⁘▓▓▓+○]

That actually fits the title better than it did my title. When I made that, it was to signify Nintendo throwing out the older controller design (while simultaneously showing the frustration of some fans who just wanted a sixth-gen controller again). edit: oddly, the old title art became slightly more relevant when the Pro Controller was announced

Also, facebook is corrupting me. I keep reaching for my mouse to click the like button every now and then here.

Meelow

Banned
And yet they didn't publish it.

They still allowed at least.

All you have to do is follow Chris Seavor on twitter to know that his experience with Nintendo was a good one.

He's clearly a fan (and slams Microsoft every chance he gets).

Just looked him up, does anyone know the tweet that got him fired from Rare?.

I feel Rare is very unhappy with Microsoft, I wouldn't be shocked if you asked them if they had a chance to be with Nintendo again they would.

Just looked him up, does anyone know the tweet that got him fired from Rare?.

I feel Rare is very unhappy with Microsoft, I wouldn't be shocked if you asked them if they had a chance to be with Nintendo again they would.

Rare isn't a person. Nintendo would be better to just woo the actual developers therein. Or better yet hire all the Crytek UK guys, because that's where Rare's talent actually hangs out for tea and biscuits.

I mean Rare as a company.

I meant that Nintendo shouldn't actually buy the company. It'd be cheaper and just as effective to just hire the members of Rare off as they leave their current job. If they really are unhappy with Microsoft and long for the days of working with the big N, then they'll flock over, and Nintendo loses nothing.

Except some old ratty IPs that nobody wants anymore.

Perfect what? Banjo whooie?

Anth0ny

... Can't say I'm thrilled with getting a black Wii U now. Them fingerprints o.o

That's what I've been saying. Black looks sexy in press images, but in real life, it's a dust and fingerprints magnet. White all the way.

Rare isn't a person. Nintendo would be better to just woo the actual developers therein. Or better yet hire all the Crytek UK guys, because that's where Rare's talent actually hangs out for tea and biscuits.

For the love of god, Retro needs to hire Grant Kirkhope and get him working on their next Donkey Kong game.

1 hour of press conference, 5 hours of the press getting their hands on the games. Just like 2006.

apana

I was just wondering, what will Wii U allow Nintendo developers to do that they weren't able to do with Wii? Will it be much easier for them to make larger areas in Legend of Zelda or aid with bringing certain artstyles to life?

JordanN

Banned
I was just wondering, what will Wii U allow Nintendo developers to do that they weren't able to do with Wii? Will it be much easier for them to make larger areas in Legend of Zelda or aid with bringing certain artstyles to life?
-HD
-More polygons
-Higher texture sizes
-More advance physics simulations
-Newer and better graphics techniques (ex:shaders)
-Bigger disc capacity for stuff like videos or game content
-Online and DLC (that doesn't suck)

And having more power would mean less limitations to worry about when world building.

Sheroking

Less divisive controller that makes innovation OPTIONAL

There's no such thing as optional innovation.

It either innovates or it doesn't, and developers are too stupid to utilize something or not
interested in trying something new.

See every single non-bundled peripheral in the history of this industry, without a single exception.

RedSwirl

No freaking idea, but that question is the main reason why people are interested in this console in the first place.

Does anything we saw in NSMBU even suggest a "fully HD" game? What I've seen so far basically looks like NSMBWii in 720p, right down to the quality of the character models.

3D Mario is gonna blow minds.

Jarsonot

The rumor was either 2 GB with 512MB reserved in dev kits, another thing was IdeaMan's inaccurate information regarding which memory was he talking about, it all seemd like it was the 512 MB of STORAGE Flash, that has nothing to do with RAM, only a portion of that gets loaded into memory.

The OS it self will not take more than 100MB, way less even if programmed well.

The only scenario where nintendo my actually reserve some additional RAM, like a 100 MB or so is the Suspend Function when games keep running and game data sits in RAM while you surf on the net and watch videos, all that flash stuff needs memory, and if games take up all the RAM with the OS then there would be no room to do practically anything while suspended.

There are several solutions to this one of which i extensively explained but I cannot link it right now cause Im typing from Wii.

Right now I recalled another solution, the FLASH STORAGE that's on WiiU may be an ideal pagefile for the web stuff, may just take a bit longer to load or seek but it wouldnt had to take RAM reservation in advance.

Still 512 MB of reservation for OS stuff and web is totally unrealistic and absurd, no way, and if for some reason it does ship like that, it will be unlocked by a system update.

And a word on BS multiplier. Stuff that is on paper totally depends on what kind of it is, ram is 3x more than X360, RAM is the biggest bottleneck, this is an important value, the real world benefit would actually be twice as much, because the difference you would see in texture quality would have been significant, not to mention better effects on top and other things possible with the extra RAM at hand.
RAM has nothing to do with performance, if the WiiU GPU or CPU is not as powerful as we previously thought that just means devs wont be able to to have that many enemies on screen or Ai operations, physics calculations etc. RAM is needed for textures, textures are the most important factor in graphics quality.

And people should stop talking about the "performance" bla bla bla, because it's anything but performance. Developers will do anything necessary in order to hit 30 or 60 FPS, all at the expense of graphics, game design, post processing, physics quality, level size and evironment, Ai interactions, ..etc. It's all about the tradeoffs, but in WiiU case the sound quality is an exception thanks to the audio DSP which makes huge sense for easier development and helps in many areas not only a better end result. Audio quality will stay the same given that it has enough RAM, it won't be directly affected and won't have to tradeoff it's performance, what's the point of utilizing 50% of Audio DSP if it can't be used for anything else. Audio DSP is such an awesome thing it also prevents developers from cheesing their GFX and tradeoffing sound making games very horrible to hear, I wouldn't be happy by the crappy sound work. The audio DSP also helps devs to not worry about sound when developing game, this leaves the sound team to fully know the capabilities of the system and can begin making their sound recordings or whatever, i belive it has a lot of development reasons that's why nintendo wont let it off, these are smarter decisions of a company that knows what it does in the software side and creates solutions in the hardware.

You... Typed that all on your wii? That's dedication. Insanity levels rising.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yep. Greater processing power and more RAM would theoretically allow for larger, densely detailed environments than anything seen in previous Zelda titles. Take Skyward Sword, for instance. The sky is pretty empty and the islands themselves lacking detail. Skyloft is actually a separate entity to the rest of the sky, hence why it 'loads' in Skyloft whenever you free fall onto the island rather than seamlessly land yourself.

Twilight Princess also suffers the problem of having pretty barren landscapes. The land is quite large, and area loading is hidden well (eg: through back paths and rock tunnels), but the fields themselves are pretty empty with not a lot going on beyond a single set piece or two and scattered enemies.

With greater processing power and RAM these issues could be avoided, and we could see more to interact with, greater detail and diversity, and more 'dynamics' in any single Zelda overworld.

Even though I loved Skyward Sword, I'm hoping these hardware advantages give the serious a bit of a kick up the pants, and Nintendo fully embraces the extra complexity and dynamics more RAM and greater processing power bring to open world style games. Zelda is, to me, at it's best when there seems to be so many little details to explore, ways to interact with the world, and surprises for actions and behaviours you might otherwise think would produce nothing. I hope Nintendo goes all out and shows just how detailed and interactive a game world can be on more modern systems, as I feel no franchise in Nintendo's line-up is better suited.

This is it for Nintendo really. At least in terms of making the WiiU a household name and blowing the gaming world away. Either I pre-order this thing or forget it exists after this conference

JordanN

Banned
No freaking idea, but that question is the main reason why people are interested in this console in the first place.

Does anything we saw in NSMBU even suggest a "fully HD" game? What I've seen so far basically looks like NSMBWii in 720p, right down to the quality of the character models.

3D Mario is gownna blow minds.
edit:NSMBWii could not handle this lighting.
tBRPI.jpg

CGWy1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom