• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumor was either 2 GB with 512MB reserved in dev kits, another thing was IdeaMan's inaccurate information regarding which memory was he talking about, it all seemd like it was the 512 MB of STORAGE Flash, that has nothing to do with RAM, only a portion of that gets loaded into memory.

Could you post a link to where his assertion was shown to be inaccurate? I'm particularly curious about this, as many have taken it for granted in their calculations

Aguila

#ICONIC
edit:NSMBWii could not handle this lighting.
tBRPI.jpg

CGWy1.jpg

Is it bad that I thought that you had posted two Wii U screenshots :/

jerd

Why generic toads still, do they even have names? ><

They really should have a Rayman Origins-esque HUB world where you can select your character... there are enough in the Mario universe where it shouldn't be hard to come up with at least 10.

There actually is one level from the NSMBU trailers that I think looks really cool. I didn't notice it until my third or so viewing of the trailer. The whole level looks like Starry Night.

New-Super-Marios-Bros-2-3DS-3-700x388.jpg

It is much more impressive in motion. You can see a snippet of it in this video:

http://youtu.be/5XM6lyqr4vI?hd=1&t=44s

The rumor was either 2 GB with 512MB reserved in dev kits, another thing was IdeaMan's inaccurate information regarding which memory was he talking about, it all seemd like it was the 512 MB of STORAGE Flash, that has nothing to do with RAM, only a portion of that gets loaded into memory.

The rumor was more than 2GB of memory in the dev kit (which we know it was 3GB at least in the beginning) and at least 512MB reserved for OS and functions for the system memory in the dev kit.

Never sounded like storage flash to me.

As for the final I can see it easily exceeding 100MB considering what Wii U is supposed to do.

-HD
-More polygons
-Higher texture sizes
-More advance physics simulations
-Newer and better graphics techniques (ex:shaders)
-Bigger disc capacity for stuff like videos or game content
-Online and DLC (that doesn't suck)

And having more power would mean less limitations to worry about when world building.

Since Apana specifically asked how the power will benefit a Zelda game from the Wii to Wii U:

-HD
Better game image quality {IQ} Better game screenshots, which is nice since the Wii U OS allows screen captures.

- More polygons
More detailed models for Link and other characters, as well as more geometry details in the world itself. An example of that is the Wii U Zelda Demo with an improved Link and Spider model that was the Wii would have not been able to do along with a detailed environment.

-Higher texture sizes
Better quality textures that will improve the appearance of Zelda's dungeons and world. (example: better looking grass, floors, and walls.)

-More advance physics simulations
Better animation and collisions for Link and other characters. Potentially more realistic environmental damage from weapons and characters. (Ex: Bombs or throwing an iron ball doing more realistic damage to the environment.)

-Newer and better graphics techniques (ex:shaders)
Better lighting on characters and the environment. (Ex: Light reflecting of the Mirror Shield) Further model improvements with dents and bumps, more realistic water, etc

-Bigger disc capacity for stuff like videos or game content
And music, as well as potentially bigger and more worlds.

Also:

-More RAM
More seamlessly flowing worlds, easier for game to keep track of NPCs within the world and changes in the environment ( Ex: Majora Mask with RAM pack compared to Ocarina of Time.)

They really should have a Rayman Origins-esque HUB world where you can select your character... there are enough in the Mario universe where it shouldn't be hard to come up with at least 10.

There actually is one level from the NSMBU trailers that I think looks really cool. I didn't notice it until my third or so viewing of the trailer. The whole level looks like Starry Night.

http://cdn5.xombitgames.com/files/2012/08/New-Super-Marios-Bros-2-3DS-3-700x388.jpg

It is much more impressive in motion. You can see a snippet of it in this video:

http://youtu.be/5XM6lyqr4vI?t=44s

Makes you wonder what a "New Yoshi's Island" would look like.

The rumor was more than 2GB of memory in the dev kit (which we know it was 3GB at least in the beginning) and at least 512MB reserved for OS and functions for the system memory in the dev kit.

Never sounded like storage flash to me.

As for the final I can see it easily exceeding 100MB considering what Wii U is supposed to do.

For reference, here is IdeaMan's clarification post.

To try to be even more clear, with a new info in it:

- My sources told me there is a huge amount of the total memory (at least 512MB) that they can't tap from for their games. They are developing their titles since a moment now, with X amount of the Y total system memory, whereas another pool of it, Z, is not available at all for them. I was told back then that this Z was for the system features, it INCLUDES the OS, the operating system, the "windows" of the Wii U, that will be loaded in the memory when you turn on the console, but it doesn't constitute ALL what Z is, i've heard a lot of things about multi-tasking, the possibility to store your progression in games (so the system must store quickly where you are, etc.), go do other things in the interface, then switch back when you paused.

Concretely, the OS could have a size of let's say 200MB, but there will still be 300MB not available for developers because Nintendo, in a v4 dev kit context (so it could change), need this room for the system functions, features.

- Another source, that you know well lherre ( :) ) told me, and this is the new tidbit, that the OS is stored in a specific flash, different than the other flash memory that will be built-in the system for downloading, saves, etc. Like a lot of other platforms actually (they need a specific type of flash dedicated for the OS, the firmware upgrades, etc.). The size of this flash seems to be 512MB. Obviously, it doesn't mean the OS is 512mb, and that it will occupy 512MB once loaded in the RAM memory, because 1) the OS surely won't take 512MB and 2) the system won't need to load everything on the RAM memory. Again, they could have decided on this amount in advance and being large for it because the OS wasn't fleshed out at all at the time. The OS could actually take let's say 200 MB (i don't know it's amount) of this space. The fact is that i don't think we've ever seen such room reserved for OS storage, so it's clearly another hint, in addition to the first info, to a bigger operating system than on the other home systems, rich in features, in functions (functions that requires another space in the RAM memory, like the aforementioned multi-tasking).

I hope i was crystal-clear :)

The &#8805;512MB RAM reserved for system functions on the dev kit and the 512MB flash storage wherein the OS resides were both asserted as separate items by IdeaMan. He did not confuse the two. He also did not state that the OS used 512MB RAM when loaded, just that Nintendo reserved that amount for their discretion in that revision of the dev kit (and, presumed by others here, by the final console), though this reservation quantity could decrease.

Mind, I am not specifically asserting that his information is correct. I am refuting the suggestion that he was confusing memory and storage in his posts. This was a concern that he specifically fielded.

Makes you wonder what a "New Yoshi's Island" would look like.

Basically Super Mario Galaxy 2 with drug effects.

For reference, here is IdeaMan's clarification post.

The &#8805;512MB RAM reserved for system functions on the dev kit and the 512MB flash storage wherein the OS resides were both asserted as separate items by IdeaMan. He did not confuse the two. He also did not state that the OS used 512MB RAM when loaded, just that Nintendo reserved that amount for their discretion in that revision of the dev kit (and, presumed by others here, by the final console), though this reservation quantity could decrease.

Mind, I am not specifically asserting that his information is correct. I am refuting the suggestion that he was confusing memory and storage in his posts. This was a concern that he specifically fielded.

Yeah he was always clear about that. And the whole &#8805;512MB RAM started from ozfunghi asking IM about the amount of memory dedicated to the OS. I would be very surprised to see the final amount at 512MB let alone be above it.

Basically Super Mario Galaxy 2 with drug effects.

What level of drug are we talking?

I want more EPIC YARN in HD

I want Pro Wrestling resurrected...in HD.

Aguila

#ICONIC

New-Super-Marios-Bros-2-3DS-3-700x388.jpg

http://youtu.be/5XM6lyqr4vI?hd=1&t=44s

Yes, that's my favorite section from the trailer.

iboDC9S0lkijSe.gif

What level of drug are we talking?

We're talking BIG Fuzzy!

I want Pro Wrestling resurrected...in HD.

I've actually been having daydreams about this over the past few days. A ridiculously extensive CAW system with free online trading, creation of stables, creation of promotions/federations, custom online titles, and the ability to host your own Pay Per Views, with (for example), one player in total control booking the matches, others doing the actual fighting, others passively watching the show from their separate Wii U systems or computers or smart phones. Seriously, we need a real revolution in wrestling games.

Anyway, bonus video for you: Star Man is actually on the roster for indy promotion Pro Wrestling Syndicate.

It will be called U Sleeping Dogs and will be a game about relaxing and grooming yourself. So basically what Thunder Monkey does on a daily basis.

I'd buy it
If you think I'm a monkey that grooms and bathes himself on a daily basis... I don't know what to tell you.

I change my diaper once a day!

jmizzal

A few things:

1. You guys are crazy...but in a fun way. The non-event of the ND was more entertaining than many non-E3 events anyway

2. I am just glad we know when we will know. That makes a big difference to me. And it is no surprise that they are following the Wii pattern.

3. What first party games do you think will be there at launch?

My guesses:
- NintendoLand
- NSMBU
- Ninja Gaiden 3
- Sing

Pikmin 3 before Christmas, Wii Fit U in January, Project P-100 in March

Reggie said launch window is 3-4 months so Project P-100 should be Jan or Feb

cand

hum... I was watching this video looking for new information and the girl said some things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO80LBV6l4M

Looks like for You Shape the achievments will be in game... that made me think about wii u not having a unified achievment tracking.

Also, in the end of the video while a girl is exercising a guy just pick up a wiimote, waves it and the game recognizes him, that surprised me.

RedSwirl

The reason the increased hardware power is most interesting in regards to Nintendo is because of how efficient a company they can be when it comes to tech. Just look at what they got Mario Galaxy to look like on the Wii. All of that was from not only clever use of the tech, but also art direction that fit with it.

edit:NSMBWii could not handle this lighting.
tBRPI.jpg

CGWy1.jpg

I honestly could not tell if the bottom screenshot was from Wii or U. The only reason I knew the top screenshot was from U was because I recognized it from somewhere else having to do with the game.

ArynCrinn

Banned
It'll be pretty lame if the Wii U doesn't have any system-wide achievement system, there's a huge demand for them like it or not, and no reason or excuse not to include it. Plus, there's a number of Nintendo titles that I think would benefit, especially as a competitive type of thing. A perfect structure would be a Trophy-esque system tied into a per account based Wii U leaderboard, showing time played, what's done, how long it took, and even a rivalry feature could be cool.

Meelow

Banned
It'll be pretty lame if the Wii U doesn't have any system-wide achievement system, there's a huge demand for them like it or not, and no reason or excuse not to include it. Plus, there's a number of Nintendo titles that I think would benefit, especially as a competitive type of thing. A perfect structure would be a Trophy-esque system tied into a per account based Wii U leaderboard, showing time played, what's done, how long it took, and even a rivalry feature could be cool.

Nintendo Accomplishments.

untitledjxjiv.jpg

cand

I don't know how much the girl knew about the system but, it seems to me, that each game will have it's achievments and leaderboard structure and all your friends that are also playin' that game will be connected. But she didn't say anything about system-wide tracking of the achievments. I don't know what to think... I mean... since you will have all the functions ... but not in a unified place. Obviously this is my understanding of what she said.

JordanN

Banned
I honestly could not tell if the bottom screenshot was from Wii or U. The only reason I knew the top screenshot was from U was because I recognized it from somewhere else having to do with the game.
I recommend booking a trip to an optometrist dude. The difference is night and day (and that's not even a full res pic either).

Meelow

Banned
It says 1000 GamerScore, this is for Xbox360

That's because they we don't know what the Accomplishments will act like, if it's like the Gamerscore or the Trophie, btw I was talking about under the name "Achievements/Trophies/Accomplishments.

That it doesn't list Gamerscore or the Accomplishments, and Nintendo confirmed at E3 the Wii U will have them and they are using the name Accomplishments for the 3DS Street pass.

cand

That's because they we don't know what the Accomplishments will act like, if it's like the Gamerscore or the Trophie, btw I was talking about under the name "Achievements/Trophies/Accomplishments.

That it doesn't list Gamerscore or the Accomplishments, and Nintendo confirmed at E3 the Wii U will have them and they are using the name Accomplishments for the 3DS Street pass.

Yes but none of this actualy makes impossible that the accomplishments turn out to be in game features. Same way the 3ds ones are just for mii plaza.

Pineconn

Nintendo will be crazy if Accomplishments don't earn you coins to be spent in a shop to deck out your Mii with sweet Nintendo bling. Crazy, I tell ya.

Nibel

The reason the increased hardware power is most interesting in regards to Nintendo is because of how efficient a company they can be when it comes to tech. Just look at what they got Mario Galaxy to look like on the Wii. All of that was from not only clever use of the tech, but also art direction that fit with it.

Check out these screenshots on Amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008CPEZ6A/

You can see that there is a huge difference in resolution

jerd

Well it is a 2D mario game so realism isn't really the goal. I don't think the screens are even comparable though and I would be the very last person to ask in regards to minor graphical differences. Mario actually looks like Mario rather than skin colored jaggy with mustache colored jaggy on it
YOU CAN SEE HIS BLUE EYES WTF!
, same with the toads (you can't even tell if they have faces on the Wii version. Character models and environment actually look 3D to fulfill the whole 2.5D thing, and the lighting was already mentioned. If you still can't tell, watch gameplay videos side by side. Being 2D Mario, I'm not sure you can point out any graphical flaws. Games can always look better (people talk about this "pixar quality" often) but for the style they're going with it looks pretty good.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Bring on the Kojima quotes guys. The "unique controller" excuse is flying out left, right and centre now.

The quote is from WiiUDaily but the original article is here http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364064/interviews/eas-soderlund-adapt-or-become-irrelevant/
What a refreshing read. Thank you.

In this episode: can an EA representative make a plain statement without contradicting themselves at least two times?

&#8220;I would say EA doesn&#8217;t make ports at all anymore. We try to make games that are ideal for each platform as much as possible."

Yes? Let's see.

"Obviously for PS3 and Xbox 360 the systems are similar, so we cross-develop.
WiiU is just 'as similar' to those two as the two are among themselves. Somebody missed the memo.

"But we will always try to take an approach about what is unique for that platform. Wii U has many unique capabilities so you have to embrace the unique elements of the platform otherwise there&#8217;s not much point doing it at all.&#8221;
Clearly all EA games on the 360 are targeting Kinect, and the company's ps3 titles are Move-only. And none of those games get PC versions. Ever.

Terrell

There's no such thing as optional innovation.

It either innovates or it doesn't, and developers are too stupid to utilize something or not
interested in trying something new.

See every single non-bundled peripheral in the history of this industry, without a single exception.

The included peripherals with a system can not be compared to after-market. EVER.

But if you want an exception? BALANCE BOARD.

Could be about the in game accomplishments. Since doesn't say anything about points for wii u accomplishments....

Could be a point-free system, since the score e-peen is useless when people rake up point playing shitty Dora the Explorer games or getting achievement points for trying to angle the camera up Juliet's dress in Lollipop Chainsaw.

Yes but none of this actualy makes impossible that the accomplishments turn out to be in game features. Same way the 3ds ones are just for mii plaza.

If they were individual to each game without any ties to the system, why would they require a name standardization? That's a trick question, cuz they wouldn't.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only good achievements are the ones integrated into game rewards, eg Uncharted and Mass Effect. Both of those games did achievements right.

D-e-f-

Banned
Apparently you missed the question mark was inside parentheses and the "lulwut :p" mark

I was irritated because you mentioned Aliens:CM along with it. You never know with all the crazy in here.

Less divisive controller that makes innovation OPTIONAL

Forced "innovation" leads to a lot of crap that doesn't need to exist.

"shake Wiimote to walk forward" kinda stuff ...

Nintendo Accomplishments.

untitledjxjiv.jpg

seriously? ... again?

MDX

I was just thinking, even if Nintendo decided to reveal the specs.
It wouldnt do them any good.

For example
The 360 has 3 cores, and lets say the 720 does have either 6 or 8.
If the WiiU has 3 or even 4, the average person would say what?
That the WiiU is closer to current gen than to next gen, just by the numbers.

By the time someone tries to explain that is not the case, its too late.
The technical explanation would just go over their heads anyway.

Nintendo is only revealing numbers that makes them look as good
as next gen. For example, promoting 1080p. No next gen console
will do any better on a TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom