• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
We're looking at 3 times the power of the 360 on paper - 3MB of CPU cache compared to 1MB, 32MB of eDRAM on the GPU compared to 10MB and 1.5-2GB of RAM compared to 512MB. And a DSP, IO chip and OoOE CPU. For my money that could make it up to 4 times more powerful in real world performance.

Exactly, we don't know the details thus cannot make any accurate equivalents or predictions, but we know for a fact the generational level of technological advance, it's this that counts the most and is the most obvious, with some super utilization and optimization gets a better result, clock don't really matter.
The dev report "CPU is less powerful than x360 CPU because it has less MHZ" is completely false. Forgot his name, i think it was one of the Asian or Japanese devs.
And you know why is such misinformation, inaccurate information going on, it's not because of NDA, it's because many devs them selfs have no idea of it's true power, they just tossing PR talk around, even those who say WiiU is "a bit better", they arent telling shit. The research needs to be done and this will be discussed by carmack once he does that, as he mentioned that he didn't even do the big research. These early devs who talk are only scratching the surface, they aren't even trying to get the most out of the hardware, gearbox will make a bit better game not a port but still they have no competition against id Software or Crytek technologically. And Aliens is not being developed on WiiU from the beginning.

Stewox

Banned
Four reasons why Nintendo should use a resolution of 960x540 for the Wii U Controller's screen (though it's probably too late to make this change assuming the console is still due out in 2012).

As a foreword, I just want to say that I think Nintendo should mandate that every Wii U title be rendered natively at a resolution of 1920x1080 at a rock solid 30 fps, with 60 fps for the racing and fighting genres. That would do a lot to win core gamers over, and the system is powerful enough to mandate this. Given this stipulation...

At E3, it was revealed that the Wii U controller demo units at e3 had a screen resolution of 854x480. I just wanted to share with you my input on why I think a resolution of 960x540, frequently referred to as a qHD resolution would be vastly preferable for the Wii U controller.

1. A full 1080p game like Rayman Origins streamed onto a qHD screen would look absolutely gorgeous. There are no compression or scaling artifacts when going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD. Unfortunately, if you had to scale instead to a resolution of 854x480, there will be compression and scaling artifacts apparent, which hurts the image quality. In addition, it would actually use more system resources to scale down to that resolution since the ratio is off. On the other hand, the resource use to scale an 1080p image to a qHD resolution would be very minimal..

2. One of the most sought after and frequently used functions of the Wii U will be to stream netflix movies, game trailers and other videos directly onto the controller even when the tv is being used by someone else. Much of that content is already at resolutions of 1080p or at worst 720p and videos at a 1080p resolutions will be even more common place by 2012 and 2013. From my experience with video conversion, processing and scaling, I can tell you that converting a HD resolution to a resolution of 960x540 (qHD) scales far better, uses less processing power, and results in stunningly beautiful results.This is because when you are going from a resolution of 1080p to qHD, you are scaling down exactly by a factor of four. Every four pixels can be combined down to one pixel and the results end up looking impeccable. The results when scaling from a 1080p or 720p video down to a resolution of 854x480 actually requires more processing resources and still doesn't look anywhere near as nice.

3. Given the size of the screen, and the distance the typical person will be holding from their face, pixel density absolutely does matter. At a resolution of 854x480 on a 6.2 inch screen, you end up with a pixel density of close to 150. At that value, you will definitely be able to see pixelation of the images on the controller and it won't look quite as nice. However, at a qHD resolution, the pixel density becomes closer to 200, which is optimal. Not only will be pixels be difficult to notice and pixellation minimal, but you could easily display text on the controller's screen and have it look crisp and very readible. I know that there are currently no plans to stream ebooks from the console down to the controller (though I see no reason to close the door on this entirely), I am certain that even for the purpose of games, like Scribblenauts for the Wii U, being able to display on the screen will be useful.

4. I expect that one of the most valuable features of the Wii U's controller is in Split-screen Multiplayer. While assymetric multiplayer is nice, traditional multiplatform games like Call of Duty will largely offer up traditional split-screen multiplayer where the splits a 1080p screen into four identical rectangle on the tv to display for each of up to four players. While this is fine if the players are playing with Wiimotes and nunchucks, if the players are instead playing with a Wii U controller, each of the four player's windows could be streamed perfectly, with zero scaling and very minimal processing needed to a qHD screen. However, if the screen had to scale down to lower resolution for the controller, this eats up more processing resources which are especially important during local multiplayer gaming (a resource intensive task already).

These are also the reason why I'm very happy that Sony made the correct decision to make the Vita qHD (resolution of 960x540) and excited to use the Vita as a controller for the PS4.

There is no scaling going on. qHD would be preferable yes to retain the aspect ratio proportions to the main screen just for the user's visual catch. But it's a such smaller screen qHD won't be enough to fit in all those UI buttons and stuff, that's to be expected.

Everything to GamePad is transmitted from the GPU natively, it has nothing to do with the main screen output and does not rely on it. The game software obviously is designed for this multi display stuff and when switching to off-tv the resolution is set to the controller, the UI and all the stuff on it is already developed into and made sure it functions. That said, there will only be games which can actually be played like that, this is not intended for all games. Developers have free will, even if it doesn't make sense they may support it but I will not play on a broken design control scheme.

The Off-Tv play is not a hardware-force switch, as it may seem, the game software needs to support off-tv play in order to work as nintendo already mentioned. That's not the TV control button as we previously though, a special button yes, but it's for the universal remote feature.

Hardware > GPU > Eyefinity

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-and-nintendo-join-2011june07.aspx

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What, you didn't like hauling a garden gnome throughout the entirety of Half-Life 2 Episode 2?

Actually yes, chalk Valve up there too :p. But they often have rewards for achievements (in TF2 at least), and intelligently design many achievements around teaching play style verses simply grinding for X amount of kills or whatever. They've got the grindy ones too, but most achievements are pretty good.

Naughty Dog still takes the cake though, and the original Mass Effect. I love having shit to unlock in my games, and Naughty Dog did the smart thing of tethering achievements to unlocks. Same with Mass Effect. Complete achievement, get XP and skill bonuses.

Outside of a handful of grindy ones Sleeping Dogs has been pretty good too, but only because the achievements are so easy. Most are unlocked just by completing stuff in the game.

wsippel

Banned
There is no scaling going on. qHD would be preferable yes to retain the aspect ratio proportions to the main screen just for the user's visual catch. But it's a such smaller screen qHD won't be enough to fit in all those UI buttons and stuff, that's to be expected.

Everything to GamePad is transmitted from the GPU natively, it has nothing to do with the main screen output and does not rely on it. The game software obviously is designed for this multi display stuff and when switching to off-tv the resolution is set to the controller, the UI and all the stuff on it is already developed into and made sure it functions. That said, there will only be games which can actually be played like that, this is not intended for all games. Developers have free will, even if it doesn't make sense they may support it but I will not play on a broken design control scheme.

The Off-Tv play is not a hardware-force switch, as it may seem, the game software needs to support off-tv play in order to work as nintendo already mentioned. That's not the TV control button as we previously though, a special button yes, but it's for the universal remote feature.

Hardware > GPU > Eyefinity

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-and-nintendo-join-2011june07.aspx
Also:

854 * 480 = 409,920
960 * 540 = 518,400

That's a 20% increase in GPU load (per pad), memory, encoding and wireless bandwidth requirements, and would require an additional 318kB per frame for delay compensation (quickly adds up to several MB depending on the TV). Due to higher bandwidth requirements, it would also reduce the range of the pad.

The_Lump

Banned
The only good achievements are the ones integrated into game rewards, eg Uncharted and Mass Effect. Both of those games did achievements right.

There's nothing worse than getting an 'achievement' for doing something which you absolutely have to do to progress in the game. That's not an achievement, that's just playing the game. I always found l4d 'cheevs to be the most fun as you have to go out of your way to get most of them. If you don't have to do something beyond the basics then I see no value whatsoever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's nothing worse than getting an 'achievement' for doing something which you absolutely have to do to progress in the game. That's not an achievement, that's just playing the game. I always found l4d 'cheevs to be the most fun as you have to go out of your way to get most of them. If you don't have to do something beyond the basics then I see no value whatsoever.

Well, I don't see any value in achievements unless they have a real reward, I guess is the point I was making. It makes no difference to me if the achievement is difficult to accomplish or earned from completing a story mission. It's still 'nothing' to me, not unless I get something interesting out of the achievement itself.

But I'm not really a fan of achievements at all, clearly, so I'm probably not the best person to analyse their rights and wrongs.

The_Lump

Banned
Well, I don't see any value in achievements unless they have a real reward, I guess is the point I was making. It makes no difference to me if the achievement is difficult to accomplish or earned from completing a story mission. It's still 'nothing' to me, not unless I get something interesting out of the achievement itself.

But I'm not really a fan of achievements at all, clearly, so I'm probably not the best person to analyse their rights and wrongs.

I see, sorry I had missed some of the previous posts. Actual rewards definitely improve achievements, but for me the point in them has always been to show you've done something interesting/extraordinary in the game. Doesn't have to be difficult, just something which is outside of what is required to play through the levels (Burn the Witch in l4d for example - stupid thing to do, but you get a trophy for your trouble.) Funny achievement names are also necessary :p

I see Nintendos take on the whole thing being thoroughly well executed.

Stewox

Banned
I was just thinking, even if Nintendo decided to reveal the specs.
It wouldnt do them any good.

For example
The 360 has 3 cores, and lets say the 720 does have either 6 or 8.
If the WiiU has 3 or even 4, the average person would say what?
That the WiiU is closer to current gen than to next gen, just by the numbers.

By the time someone tries to explain that is not the case, its too late.
The technical explanation would just go over their heads anyway.

Nintendo is only revealing numbers that makes them look as good
as next gen. For example, promoting 1080p. No next gen console
will do any better on a TV.

They don't need to promote the detailed tech spec, a silent release of a PDF works for GAF.

I think the majority of bias that WiiU is similar to X360/PS3 is the sense of doubt.

People don't realize N64 was top hardware at the time.

Also I always wanted to explain this:

Michael Pachter: Wii audience is lost to tablets/mobile

Maybe only those who can't advance, the ultra-casual, it's only a %. Not all of them.

Let me explain why nintendo is in a better position than many think. First of all, bringing great masses to games is a process that takes time for them to improve. Many new consumers who liked nintendo's games will advance, I am not saying these are PROs but it's enough to keep em going.

The idea of mobile/casual being so powerful is simply invalid. The IPs and talent that goes into that is non-existant. Those games don't stand very long, they aren't as strong IPs as AAA games and everyone should expect this, ofcourse EA didn't. Remember POPCAP when EA paid 1.2 billion for them, well PopCap made layoffs and pretty much going down, remember Zynga being at 15$ shares. Well it was a fad, it's all going bankrupt.

Gaming is young, that's why the standards won't be as high as museum Art, custom cars, custom motorcycles, pro sports, whatever high-quality in the real world. Because Gaming has not yet made full circle generation, only like 15 years is the effective range right now, not enough grip on the adult population.

Michael Patcher tosses numbers around and some business macho prediction, you need to have the big picture of how it works in practise, the practise and experience only a very specialized game developer who researches the psychology as well. What does Pachter do, he tosses numbers on a paper, counts, sums, and sends daily newsletter to shareholders, that's not any kind of deep research. That's just talking about the numbers and using personal historical-guidelines to predict the future which is obviously not accurate if you're not actually a consumer and know all ins-outs, there is so many times Pachter is wrong factually about games, tech stuff and etc.

The reason why not all % advances is, that some people won't be able to because they were introduced by low-quality games in the first place. However, the only low-quality games were ultra-casual for the 3year olds and 80-90 grandpa's and granmas who will in % unlikely advance to pro or hardcore. Still some are in the middle, who moved to mobile/tablet - but as we speak, that's a FAD, sooner or later they will be fed up with that when other people pull them to the big stuff. The friend refferal is probably the most important factor that brakes the barrier, if they're used to crap casual games they don't have the capacity to break out of that to see that better stuff exists.

So this was about WiiSports, continuing, but if it was too advanced maybe people wouldn't even touch it. So at first nintendo needed to make the low barrier to entry. Just to get those people IN the gaming it self, but they are expected to lose the percentage when those NEW customers starts looking for other things in the market. BUT that doesn't make those customers automatically "nintendo never again", they may come back, it's the biggest fail of thinking, yes the new casuals will start shopping on other things, they aren't LOST, advance is a process, and with WiiU offering a super responsive tablet and great games, they surely will be lured to check that out. Nintendo has the ability for quality and talent, once the new casuals gone through a process they won't be casuals any more, and nintendo takes their wallet vote.

With the new console, the quality ramps up, if they pass, they advance. And they can turn into potential customers for the other AAA nintendo-first parties, not just boundled stuff and a few mario games.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

I talked about both and it was perfectly clear, stated as such, and understood by all, and available in posts still readable in the WUST 2 for the ram memory and 5 for the storage. Here's one for example that summarize the situation at the time.

Memory, RAM memory, memory for games, etc = Memory of the system, the ram

=/=

STORAGE memory

And it's still relevant as, as i explained many times, a few months ago, at least 512MB of the ram memory wasn't accessible for developers. It's not only the flash that is involved.

But well, it's rather old info, we can assume they made a lot of progress in the development of their OS (and i'm strictly talking about the operating system this time, not all the background applications, the console services, all the room needed to run those, etc.), and they have a good idea of its size and what it requires in the ram memory. Let's just hope Nintendo will allow the expected freed ram memory to be used by developers.

Now, please, don't quote me and start one of your wall of text, i don't have the time nor the patience for that :D

For reference, here is IdeaMan's clarification post.

The ≥512MB RAM reserved for system functions on the dev kit and the 512MB flash storage wherein the OS resides were both asserted as separate items by IdeaMan. He did not confuse the two. He also did not state that the OS used 512MB RAM when loaded, just that Nintendo reserved that amount for their discretion in that revision of the dev kit (and, presumed by others here, by the final console), though this reservation quantity could decrease.

Mind, I am not specifically asserting that his information is correct. I am refuting the suggestion that he was confusing memory and storage in his posts. This was a concern that he specifically fielded.

But i cannot stress enough that it was correct a few months ago now, in a different dev kit, a lot of SDK revisions before, etc. Several things have changed since then :)

The only good achievements are the ones integrated into game rewards, eg Uncharted and Mass Effect. Both of those games did achievements right.

Resident Evil Revelations did this well too. The way it's usually handled on PS360 is pretty useless though. Developers need to bring back REAL unlockables to increase motivation.

So hyped for E3Imean the September conference. RETRO's game was rumoured to have been cut from the summer show, so it's almost certain we'll see it this time around. I'm expecting a summer/Q3 launch for that. And I think this will be the right time for one of Nintendo's to show what EAD are working on, and for them to showcase what games we can expect in the future, 2013-2014.
Maybe we'll get our first teasing glimpse of Smash bros... or perhaps that's wishing for a little too much!

Also, I wanted to ask you guys - if nintendo sold a third colour at launch, what would you guys want it to be?

I'm thinking a lightish Blue to match the logo/box design - and this is probably the most likely colour to come next if they do plan on releasing more variations.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So i see we have a new beacon of light ! The NY conference ! :D

H Y P E !

We need moar silly gif's

Also, I wanted to ask you guys - if nintendo sold a third colour at launch, what would you guys want it to be?

I'm thinking a lightish Blue to match the logo/box design - and this is probably the most likely colour to come next if they do plan on releasing more variations.

Hey my duck !

Well, an electric pink one ! Or the metallic/chromed one we saw on a mock-up, that was neat ! But i'm concerned with this "black is better for handled screens, to have the impression that it's bigger" i've read in some article, making the black version the obvious choice.

D-e-f-

Banned
So hyped for E3Imean the September conference. RETRO's game was rumoured to have been cut from the summer show, so it's almost certain we'll see it this time around.

1) no no no don't do that ... it MIGHT but it also might be saved for the October Nintendo Direct or the December one or even the February one that will cover the second wave of titles.

2) a third color ... silver or a grainy, shiny dark metallic green. I love a dark green.

japtor

I see, sorry I had missed some of the previous posts. Actual rewards definitely improve achievements, but for me the point in them has always been to show you've done something interesting/extraordinary in the game. Doesn't have to be difficult, just something which is outside of what is required to play through the levels (Burn the Witch in l4d for example - stupid thing to do, but you get a trophy for your trouble.) Funny achievement names are also necessary :p

I see Nintendos take on the whole thing being thoroughly well executed.
I don't mind the idea of doing funky stuff and having something to show for it (although I do think that can get ridiculous and out of hand on its own too), I think I primarily just hate the way achievements make it so explicit. I probably wouldn't mind much if I just stumbled upon them, but they're usually listed out like more objectives to go after rather than just happening through the normal course of gameplay. Even with mystery achievements or whatever, they're still there as another explicit checkbox (and thanks to the internet, the mystery is short lived).

Ideally for me I guess there would be no indication of the achievement or criteria at all in the first place, you'd just get them as you play however you play. Get them by exploring the game and messing around rather than playing specifically to fill some arbitrary objective. The internet will fuck it up of course, but if there's enough there'll at least be a period of secrecy where people unlock the stuff the first time themselves.

And yeah some type of actual reward would be nice, even something simple/cheesy like the 3DS coin system, to be used on...something, I guess it's puzzle pieces there. Mii accessories would be an obvious one but I suspect a conflict of interest for companies that usually monetize that stuff.
They don't need to promote the detailed tech spec, a silent release of a PDF works for GAF.
They don't need to release specs at all. Anyone that really wants to know that badly will find out on their own eventually. Same thing happens with iOS hardware every year.
So hyped for E3Imean the September conference. RETRO's game was rumoured to have been cut from the summer show, so it's almost certain we'll see it this time around. I'm expecting a summer/Q3 launch for that. And I think this will be the right time for one of Nintendo's to show what EAD are working on, and for them to showcase what games we can expect in the future, 2013-2014.
Why do you set yourself up for so much pain?

So i see we have a new beacon of light ! The NY conference ! :D

H Y P E !

We need moar silly gif's

Hey my duck !

Well, an electric pink one ! Or the metallic/chromed one we saw on a mock-up, that was neat !

Hey Ideaman! :D Y'know, I might change back to my old duck avatar...! And a chromed one could be really cool actually... though not sure about electric pink :p

1) no no no don't do that ... it MIGHT but it also might be saved for the October Nintendo Direct or the December one or even the February one that will cover the second wave of titles.

2) a third color ... silver or a grainy, shiny dark metallic green. I love a dark green.

Nah, I'm saying it's coming. Don't listen to me if you don't want to :) I just have a feeling we'll see it.

And hm, silver would be nice...

Why do you set yourself up for so much pain?

I don't think my expectations are unrealistic at all... I was joking about Smash, as we kinda know that's hardly in development yet - but RETRO have been working on this title for long enough now, and yet we've still to see it. Nintendo are bound to show a glimpse of one of their major studio's games for the future too, it'd just make sense to have an incentive for people to buy the console knowing there's a 3D Mario incoming or something similar.

Stewox

Banned
Nice idea. But it doesn't/won't use qHD. There is evidence of scaling artefacts if reports are to be believed. Plus it's Nintendo and unnecessary costs are not their modus operandum.

Will make little difference though. The screen looks great and does what it needs to do sufficiently.

If that is true it has to be some stupid programming going on.

There you go the other guys who have been at gamescom confirmed it's all great.

If the gamepad receives native 480p signal from Wii U, Wii games would be look gorgeous in that thing =(

The software needs to support the mode, unless there's a hardware-force to display on controller it won't work with existing Wii games.

There is no upscaling becuase they did not use any such hardware. Existing Wii games will work like they are. Nintendo has an option to re-master some of the GCN and Wii games and release them on eShop at which they will have 1080p support as well as off-tv play if it make sense.

You... Typed that all on your wii? That's dedication. Insanity levels rising.

Hahaha, funny. As i was just my self thinking, ah god this wii typebox ahh god it's ridicolous.

But actually I use an old keyboard. It's was also late evening, that's why wii.

But the biggest setback is that it doesn't support QWERTZ !!!

Could you post a link to where his assertion was shown to be inaccurate? I'm particularly curious about this, as many have taken it for granted in their calculations

Ah it was long ago, I read all of the stuff since february, and i saved bookmarks, I also discussed about some stuff on thewiiu.com forums when I was waiting for activation for gaf.

Let me find.

The rumor was more than 2GB of memory in the dev kit (which we know it was 3GB at least in the beginning) and at least 512MB reserved for OS and functions for the system memory in the dev kit.

Never sounded like storage flash to me.

As for the final I can see it easily exceeding 100MB considering what Wii U is supposed to do.

Yes, the dev kits.

Retail i am confident won't have this absurd 512 MB RAM OS reservation. I mean the retail yes.

If it does, then I don't know what on earth will it be used for. If they didn't found a better solution for the Suspend function I was talking about a few pages back, then they better will because there will be some grumpy developers, and can easily be done via a system update.

60-80 for the OS and additional 100 MB for web flash stuff at suspend mode is i think

As i mentioned, the flash could be used as a scratch disk / pagefile for the web stuff to take less RAM. And stuff on the web that gets downloaded streamed is written to flash anyways already.

For reference, here is IdeaMan's clarification post.

To try to be even more clear, with a new info in it:

- My sources told me there is a huge amount of the total memory (at least 512MB) that they can't tap from for their games. They are developing their titles since a moment now, with X amount of the Y total system memory, whereas another pool of it, Z, is not available at all for them. I was told back then that this Z was for the system features, it INCLUDES the OS, the operating system, the "windows" of the Wii U, that will be loaded in the memory when you turn on the console, but it doesn't constitute ALL what Z is, i've heard a lot of things about multi-tasking, the possibility to store your progression in games (so the system must store quickly where you are, etc.), go do other things in the interface, then switch back when you paused.

Concretely, the OS could have a size of let's say 200MB, but there will still be 300MB not available for developers because Nintendo, in a v4 dev kit context (so it could change), need this room for the system functions, features.

- Another source, that you know well lherre ( :) ) told me, and this is the new tidbit, that the OS is stored in a specific flash, different than the other flash memory that will be built-in the system for downloading, saves, etc. Like a lot of other platforms actually (they need a specific type of flash dedicated for the OS, the firmware upgrades, etc.). The size of this flash seems to be 512MB. Obviously, it doesn't mean the OS is 512mb, and that it will occupy 512MB once loaded in the RAM memory, because 1) the OS surely won't take 512MB and 2) the system won't need to load everything on the RAM memory. Again, they could have decided on this amount in advance and being large for it because the OS wasn't fleshed out at all at the time. The OS could actually take let's say 200 MB (i don't know it's amount) of this space. The fact is that i don't think we've ever seen such room reserved for OS storage, so it's clearly another hint, in addition to the first info, to a bigger operating system than on the other home systems, rich in features, in functions (functions that requires another space in the RAM memory, like the aforementioned multi-tasking).

I hope i was crystal-clear :)

The ≥512MB RAM reserved for system functions on the dev kit and the 512MB flash storage wherein the OS resides were both asserted as separate items by IdeaMan. He did not confuse the two. He also did not state that the OS used 512MB RAM when loaded, just that Nintendo reserved that amount for their discretion in that revision of the dev kit (and, presumed by others here, by the final console), though this reservation quantity could decrease.

Mind, I am not specifically asserting that his information is correct. I am refuting the suggestion that he was confusing memory and storage in his posts. This was a concern that he specifically fielded.

Yeah that has to be the clarification post that came after the original talk. I remember the original talk when all was mixed because it was the poetry for the audience.

That sounded totally different than the first batches of info from the speculation threads.

Check out these screenshots on Amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008CPEZ6A/

Nintendo Land not boundled confirmed ?

Lyude77

Maybe we'll get our first teasing glimpse of Smash bros... or perhaps that's wishing for a little too much!

I like light blue too, so I'll choose that. My other two would be dark green and pimp purple, as I like to call it. I think pimp purple looks better on 3DS than it would on Wii U, or I would have chosen that as my favorite.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

From my very second post on GAF (and the conversation continue throughout the WUST 2) revealing some things about the Wii U (that start to talk about the RAM situation), it was clear and understood by all that it was the system memory involved. I touched upon the storage much, much later, and again, stated as such.

Now, it will be cool if you don't start another streak of pollution about posts 5 months old :)

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't think my expectations are unrealistic at all... I was joking about Smash, as we kinda know that's hardly in development yet - but RETRO have been working on this title for long enough now, and yet we've still to see it. Nintendo are bound to show a glimpse of one of their major studio's games for the future too, it'd just make sense to have an incentive for people to buy the console knowing there's a 3D Mario incoming or something similar.

you're doing the Michael Pachter thing. (we're all quilty of that sometimes)

what makes sense is often not what Nintendo does.

you're doing the Michael Pachter thing. (we're all quilty of that sometimes)

what makes sense is often not what Nintendo does.

Haha, no. The Pachter thing is claiming the Wii U is coming at the wrong time, will bomb, and should be sold at $599.99.

You'll see. From years of following Nintendo like this, it always seems like they pull shit out of the bag last minute, and it always works extremely well.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
This was the old post I forgot to paste in before in the previous page. Replying to many people can be hard to stay synced

I was purposely vague for several info, i recognize it myself, and it was an intent (a common practice, to not give too much details that could endanger my sources). But for the distinction between the system memory and storage, no :p

Anyway, kiss & do some c&c X nintendo mock-up, it's funnier :D

Stewox

Banned
I was purposely vague for several info, i recognize it myself, and it was an intent (a common practice, to not give too much details that could endanger my sources). But for the ram, no :p

Anyway, kiss & do some c&c X nintendo mock-up, it's funnier :D

Yah, that's the sacrifice, but I wouldn't want all the rumors out at the same short time either.

I was just reminiscing about years gone by and old rumours and speculation, and happened to take a peak to see what InPhase are up to... turns out their website is now down. Does this mean they're completely gone now? Or are they redesigning for a come back?

I always hoped something would come to fruition form that partnership they made with Nintendo.

I think technically the company is still alive - they're under section 11 meaning there's still a sole person holding the company, bankrupt or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMoxb79FxQk

Banned

Platinum.

f9fccfaa.jpg

Oersted

Nintendo Land not boundled confirmed ?

Pretty much
“Nintendo Land is a huge title for us, and it is also the epitome of showing off what Wii U has to offer with the controls, what the Wii U GamePad… having a different role, having a different perspective compared to what the other players using the Wii Remote Pluses are having. So it is an extremely important title for us, and will be one of the anchor titles for the launch of Wii U, no doubt.

“Our presence at E3 was very much about Nintendo Land. Even our whole booth looked like Nintendo Land, because it’s super-fun and what it’s able to show. Sometimes we say what Wii Sports was to Wii, Nintendo Land is to Wii U, except the major difference is– and this is something that we really want to get across– is that it’s not just mini-games, but there’s actually different levels, different things available in each of the attractions… a lot more than what was available in Wii Sports. We want people to know that this is a full game.”

http://mariohat.bumpheli.com/2012/07/interview-with-nintendo-of-canadas-matt-ryan-e3-2012/

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Here's an article talking about what i said earlier on black encasing being better than other color for screens:

Up until today, we’ve always preferred the white-bezeled iOS products. There are several reasons why, ranging from the vain (white is less popular, thus different—and fashionable) to the traditional (white is a traditional Apple product color—continuity is appealing to some of us). But something clicked in our minds when we watched this concept video of edge-to-edge iPad displays: imagine how great a screen would look if there were no bezel! And imagine how great a retina screen would look! If you previously were a fan of the white-bezeled iPad 2, you might reconsider when you see how much brighter the retina screen looks with a black bezel.

A black bezel is closer to invisible than a white one—it fades away when watching video. Black absorbs light while white reflects it. Your eyeballs will be more distracted by a white bezel, and more drawn in to the screen by a black one. Never has this made more of a difference than with a screen like the new iPad’s. It may not appeal to your sense of style, but a black bezel sets the pixels inside the retina screen further aglow. We’d love to show you this with photographic evidence, but our camera isn’t capturing this effect well. Go into an Apple/Verizon/AT&T store to see it for yourself. The retina display with black bezel is one step closer to the futuristic edgeless iPad of tomorrow than we were yesterday.

I wonder if it's to a noticeable extent for the Wii U Gamepad. If it's the case then i'll choose black :)

Edit: why i'm reading bretzel instead of bezel ? Damn, my food obsession !

Banned
The only question is, will these AAA projects be third party, first party, or both?

http://nonspecificaction.co.uk/aaa-wii-u-games-to-be-shown-next-month-15489

Just months away from launch, gamers are starting to wonder where all the Wii U details are. Well, from what we heard today, a lot of good stuff is coming next month.

Speaking to a developer for the upcoming platform, we were told that there are some AAA efforts in the making that should be ready for show in September. It’s at this same event that the Wii U price and launch will also be shared, along with the reveal of some major third-party support.

What we’ve heard in the last few weeks only backs this up. Could all of this information be primed for the Tokyo Game Show? It would seem more than likely.

The_Lump

Banned
If that is true it has to be some stupid programming going on.

Thoere you go the other guys who have been at gamescom confirmed it's all great.

Ok I just read that I think on digital foundry or something. Could be wrong and like I said, it's not going to make any actual difference.

Effect

I hope Nintendo, or at least someone high up, is prepared for it to not to get the reception they want. I really question the success of another mini-game collection after the number of them on the Wii. Especially one that has to be played it seems to be really understood and doesn't sell it self the way Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort did. That is unless there is really more to it then what they've shown already like a fully interactive hub world, actual single player games (not just one mode making only a small fraction of the game worthwhile without a group), expandability of the park, etc. Enough content to justify it being a full retail game at $50 or $60. If not then it's a budget title. If it's going to be a budget title then just bundle the damn thing and raise the system price $10 or $20.

“Nintendo Land is a huge title for us, and it is also the epitome of showing off what Wii U has to offer with the controls, what the Wii U GamePad… having a different role, having a different perspective compared to what the other players using the Wii Remote Pluses are having. So it is an extremely important title for us, and will be one of the anchor titles for the launch of Wii U, no doubt.

“Our presence at E3 was very much about Nintendo Land. Even our whole booth looked like Nintendo Land, because it’s super-fun and what it’s able to show. Sometimes we say what Wii Sports was to Wii, Nintendo Land is to Wii U, except the major difference is– and this is something that we really want to get across– is that it’s not just mini-games, but there’s actually different levels, different things available in each of the attractions… a lot more than what was available in Wii Sports. We want people to know that this is a full game.”
If they really want to get this across then they need to say this crap to during events so it's actually reported. They need to actually show this and they didn't. The jaded part of me thinks this could be a very quick change/addition, if true, to how it was received. I don't doubt for a second it was and is just a mini-game collection. At least until proven otherwise.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

The_Lump

Banned
The final boss isn't the Great Mighty Poo.

The ending is actually pretty dark. I have played and beaten it in two forms.

The game doesn't get the credit it deserves in some areas. Aside from the terrific humour it was actually a very accomplished platform/adventure game (which dipped its toes into action and other genres) and had some wonderfully inventive moments and creative puzzles. One of my fondest gaming memories was playing through that game.

Nibel

Conker was one of the best games on the N64 where you got real value for your money (great SP campaign, crazy MP with dozens of characters and modes).

The Xbox remake looked incredible, but I didn't like the MP as much.

The_Lump

Banned
Never played the 360 version unfortunately. But I'm in the process of cleaning off my n64s and GameCubes and hooking them up to an old CRT TV and BFD is top of my list for a replay :D

MDX

Nintendo has gotten people interested in the console
With demos, old ports, mini games, and Ubisoft.
Now imagine what will happen when they show of
a few big guns right before launch?
hype

Lachie007

The final boss isn't the Great Mighty Poo.

The ending is actually pretty dark. I have played and beaten it in two forms.

sorry yes the great mighty poo isnt the final boss. Its quite early yes?

Still a battle against poo doesnt really fit the definition of mature does it?
Maybe its because I cant handle toilet humour!
Or I was too young to really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom