• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
So we recently learned Wii U will also use 'SpotPass' system, unless it changes it's name upon launch. It looks like Miiverse will be one thing, but then you'll get SpotPass updates if activated, same as on 3DS.

I'm really liking and using this on the 3DS, so let's see if Wii U gets content at the same pace - would be nice.

But you know that it's basically just an evolution of WiiConnect24, right? That was the same thing, only that they barely used it.

I hope they also make use of interconnectivity between Wii U and 3DS a lot.

You can choose the black Wii U on Amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004ZKI7EM/

Release date: 21.12.12? :D

ooh nice, finally. still got my original "white" preorder ... I'm afraid to cancel it lol ..but I preordered the black one now.

I want to see StreetPass implementation on Wii U. What's SpotPass without StreetPass. Oh, and this time can add to friend lists in case I StreetPass a MILF. What's video chat without a MILF.

D-e-f-

Banned
I want to see StreetPass implementation on Wii U. What's SpotPass without StreetPass. Oh, and this time can add to friend lists in case I StreetPass a MILF. What's video chat without a MILF.

You want to carry your console/huge controller around with you and expect other people to do the same?

You didn't take your meds this morning, did you?

You want to carry your console/huge controller around with you and expect other people to do the same?

Yeahhhh, that's exactly how I imagined it *_*

I think StreetPass is a great thing and they could expand it so much on the WiiU... so, so, so much. I could be a huge USP for the WiiU.

Earendil

So what Ideaman is hinting at is a new Ubisoft IP called...

...wait for it...

U-Fat.

Thankyou and goodnight.

I lol'd...

And when cand posted this..

samba-o.gif

I rofl'd

jerd

If I'm not mistaken, when the Wii Fit U calorie counter was leaked, the big rumor was it was a street pass device. Data is shared to and from your system and other people's devices. Kinda cool.

Roo

Wasn't there a rumor about a pokewalker-like device just for Wii U to do this stuff?

If I'm not mistaken, when the Wii Fit U calorie counter was leaked, the big rumor was it was a street pass device. Data is shared to and from your system and other people's devices. Kinda cool.

Yeah, not bad. It did seem a bit too big for a simple pedometer so who knows. Be nice if a really small StreetPass widget came with the console though so it isn't just exclusive to WiiFit. Maybe even phone apps that carry it out too. Just something simple and accessible that is no bother to take out and about, unlike lumping a uPad or 3DS around with you... only gamers would do that and you want to try and get everyone doing it.

I just think StreetP' is so, so promising it should be a no-brainer. I honestly think it's THAT good MS and Sony will copy it. That's how good it is.

japtor

Here's an article talking about what i said earlier on black encasing being better than other color for screens:

I wonder if it's to a noticeable extent for the Wii U Gamepad. If it's the case then i'll choose black :)
It's a preference. You'll have better contrast with lighter content, worse with dark, but that's all relative to the bezel. I've had iPads in both colors and it's not a big deal. Well black makes fingerprints and reflections more noticeable.

Plus design wise the gamepad and an iPad are completely different. The iPad has a single pane surface so the seamless screen/bezel argument might work there, but the gamepad has an inset screen/raised border, plus all the controls all over the place.
Imagine if Retro were doing F-Zero? :) I want me some more F-Zero, the GC version was hyper rad.
Sega would be my first choice, otherwise give Monster a chance with it.
I'd say your full of shit because we all know Wii U pretzels is on par with strip mall pretzel stand pretzels. Plus it doesn't have enough salt, the salt content just isn't that great.
But the Wii U salt is better and unlike the old salt, plus it won't be available on any other pretzels for another year or two.
I find it a ballache carrying my 3DS around with me. Something smaller and lighter would be ideal.
Like this thing?

(I see this reply is late now, but hey it's a link to the device for anyone that doesn't remember it)

Meelow

Banned
Lol Adam Sessler

increasing confident that the WiiU will a) not come out this year. b)will not provide the needed stimulation to the industry. I will probably eat my words on one of those points. By then I hope to have a video platform to apologize on. Selling console this Nov. with a price north of Borderlands, AC3, Halo 4 and CoD combined and announcing in Sept? - Adam Sessler

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler

And someone commented and said

How damaging do you think the Wii's astounding performance has been for the industry as a whole?

Wow people are just mad Nintendo had a successful generation.

MDX

Lol Adam Sessler

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler

And someone commented and said

Wow people are just mad Nintendo had a successful generation.

Mario maker Nintendo has increased its dominance over Japan's game-buying public, with the top 10 titles in this week's software chart all found on Nintendo platforms.
Japanese software chart (13th-19th August)

[3DS] New Super Mario Bros, 2 - 148,225 (last week: 912,597)
[NDS] Pokemon Black 2 (White 2 - 62,274 (2,644,459)
[WII] Dragon Quest X - 47,065 (487,917)
[WII] Just Dance Wii 2 - 23,231 (137,423)
[3DS] Tohoku University Aging Medicine Research Institute - Headed By Professor Ryuta Kawashima - Train your Brain Effectively in 5 minutes a day with Oni Training - 20,372 (115,695)
[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb - 18,825 (166,588)
[WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus - 15,682 (1,043,307)
[3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! - 13,836 (89,944)
[WII] Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition - 13,067 (179,934)
[3DS] Kobitodzukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set - 12,646 (60,196)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rts?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

brainpann

[3DS] Tohoku University Aging Medicine Research Institute - Headed By Professor Ryuta Kawashima - Train your Brain Effectively in 5 minutes a day with Oni Training - 20,372 (115,695)
[3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! - 13,836 (89,944)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rts?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Impressive!

Hakai

Japan Loves Nintendo!

Meelow

Banned

That can really help the Wii U in Japan.

TunaLover

Holy Carp!

jmizzal

That Japanese WiiU support better be good

Steph_E.

Twilight Princess is what you get when Nintendo caves to the fans' bitching. We should've all taken that as a lesson.

What's wrong with TP? - it's my favourite Zelda. Admittedly, I have only played 3 of them, but I rate it above OOT and SS.

Which reminds me, I must play it again before the Wii U hits (and it seems like I will have plenty of time for this, being in the UK). (Just finishing RE4 again at the moment, but should be onto TP by weekend.)

What's wrong with TP? - it's my favourite Zelda. Admittedly, I have only played 3 of them, but I rate it above OOT and SS.

Which reminds me, I must play it again before the Wii U hits (and it seems like I will have plenty of time for this, being in the UK). (Just finishing RE4 again at the moment, but should be onto TP by weekend.)
I fucking love twilight princess. Thats why I love that tech demo so much.

Steph_E.

I kinda like that though. I dont like games where you feel like youve made significant progress already after only a few hours of playing. I feel more like I get my moneys worth if they front load it with some junk, and I enjoyed it in SS cos I feel like that was part of the story and setting up the world. Sorta like the calm before you set out on the epic quest. In fact I believe all Zeldas do this. No clue why some weirdos are all hung up on when you "reach the first dungeon", like that is some sort of indication of anything..

I agree entirely.

I dislike COD for this very reason. About 80% of my gaming is solo: just me against the game, so when all I get is a 5 or 6 hour campaign I see it as a complete waste of my hard earned beer tokens.

D-e-f-

Banned
People don't carry around tablets anymore?

Seriously? The Wii U GamePad is not a tablet. It's a huge fucking controller with sticks ...sticking out, triggers and grips. a tablet is called a tabled because it's flat ...like a tablet (the one with paper and pencils)!

Wasn't there a rumor about a pokewalker-like device just for Wii U to do this stuff?

Yes there was a rumor ages ago. If that turns out to be real after all that'd be awesome but that is far far far from likely.

See above. That rumor existed before we knew about Wii Fit U's calorie counter. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw that concept and throw that into the rumor mill which turned into our "Nintendo Card" which uses StreetPass and NFC to log you into your account anywhere. Sounded way too good to be true then, still does now. Especially considering that it would add additional cost to the pile.

Comandr

Those numbers are great, but I wonder if dominating the crap out of your home region is enough to allow yourself to relax in foreign areas. Nintendo needs to hit the US hard with marketing and titles to show that they are a major player this upcoming generation. Something akin to the "play it loud" campaign if you will.

It is my strong belief that the Wii U will launch on November 18th for $299.99.

That is right at about 3 months before a new console for a new generation hits the market and we still know next to nothing about it. We haven't seen the interface in depth, we haven't seen an actual user account system-- hell, a few screenshots of zombiu showed what could have been a Miiverse notification and that was a big deal. 90 days to launch! Ridiculous.

I really hope that Nintendo intends to pull back the curtain this coming September with a glut of information. They are playing it really close to the chest and I hope there is some "knock your socks off" reason for it, something they can't possibly let out because it would incite immediate knock offs from the competition. I believe Nintendo said something to the effect of that when SmartGlass was demonstrated. "Only took a year"

There are still tens of millions of people in the US that don't even know there is a new console coming out, and when asked (I have randomly polled strangers on the subject of digital entertainment, and upcoming console expectations) about the Wii U, my most common response was "Oh the Wii? It's okay I guess."

The facts are these:

A $299 price point would be great. I believe that is a competitive price for a new generation console, but it's a double edged sword. I think people have fresh memories of paying 400-600 for their last "next gen" console, and a low price point might make them question if what they are buying is truly "next gen." People often think "next gen" means "dramatically more power."

The name is confusing. Wii. Wii U. "The new Wii" Only a single letter differentiates the two consoles on paper, yet there is a vast world of difference. I cannot stress how important it is to iron out this wrinkle in the coming months. Nintendo has never been more lazy with its naming than this generation, the one it has the most at stake on. As always, Nintendo takes two steps forward, and one step back.

Specs ARE important. I know that Nintendo has created some incredible experiences on conservative hardware, but power is important to creating interesting and innovative experiences as well. Let's look at Assassin's Creed for instance. The engine and the hardware powering it allowed for tons of detailed characters to be on the screen and interactive all at the same time. This experience simply could not be done on the Wii. Saying that "Our console is powerful enough to do all this and more" is not just exciting for the player, but exciting for the developer as well. We have already heard reports from numerous developers that the console IS powerful, and IS capable, and that's great and fine and wonderful for them. All gamers have to see so far are ports of last year's current gen games, AC3, ZombiU, and the visually unimpressive NSMBU and P-100.

What I would love to see- and I've been thinking about(read: fantasizing about) for months now -- when the Wii U launches, I expect the eShop to be setup somewhat similar to the 3DS'. On that note, I would love to see Nintendo design and create a tech demo to show off what the console is capable of that you can download and run on your own console. Not a video, an actual real time demo. I would be satisfied if they just polished up the bird demo, or the Zelda "HD Experience" demo to the current dev kit standards. (It is my understanding that the two demos were made on very old dev kits. Lots of changes and optimizations since then.)

To this end, Nintendo doesn't need to reveal hard spec numbers, which they never ever do anyway, but they give you a showcase of what the console is capable of when pushed. A lovely little way to say "Want to see next gen? Want to see what we have in store for you? Here you go. Enjoy."

Gee, I only meant for this post to acknowledge the top 10.. Guess I got a little carried away.

Steph_E.

Yeah, I definitely expect Nintendo to try to steal the thunder of the PS4 and Xbox 720 announcement at E3 2013, can you imagine though if Sony or Microsoft announced the Ps4 or Xbox 720 at E3 2012, Nintendo's conference would of been much better.

What if.... just suppose PS4 and Xbox 720 are not announced at E3 2013, what would Nintendo do? Would they pull all their big game announcements intended to steal the limelight from Sony and MS, and do a hastily revised conference, just showing us Nintendoland again?

MDX

Those numbers are great, but I wonder if dominating the crap out of your home region is enough to allow yourself to relax in foreign areas. Nintendo needs to hit the US hard with marketing and titles to show that they are a major player this upcoming generation. Something akin to the "play it loud" campaign if you will.

It is my strong belief that the Wii U will launch on November 18th for $299.99.

If Nintendo wants to present itself as a powerful machine, a next gen machine, then $349.
Sony is not lowering the price of the PS3 which comes in at $299. Nintendo can even get away with $399 at this point. And I think they could by showing a graphically impressive game during the price / launch reveal. They might also get away with this price with a CoD game enhanced by the WiiU, and getting Monster Hunter. And as I said before, the public is used to paying premium prices for touch screens.

MDX

What if.... just suppose PS4 and Xbox 720 are not announced at E3 2013, what would Nintendo do? Would they pull all their big game announcements intended to steal the limelight from Sony and MS, and do a hastily revised conference, just showing us Nintendoland again?

Im not even sure Nintendo has to worry about the PS4.
The console already lost a few launch games with the closing of Liverpool.
Thats not really the move you expect for launching a console next year.

I think Sony might be considering pulling a Wii.
And will focus on the expanded market with smaller unique and quirky games.

Meelow

Banned

I don't think we will have to worry about Sony and Microsoft not announcing the PS4 and Xbox 720, that would hurt them so much, it would be giving Nintendo 2 free years with Wii U.

Imagine the meltdown if Sony pulled a Wii, that would mean the PS4 being an overclocked PS3, with a whole new gameplay route.

All I know is next gen will be very important for Sony and the PlayStation brand.

jerd

Imagine the meltdown if Sony pulled a Wii, that would mean the PS4 being an overclocked PS3, with a whole new gameplay route.

All I know is next gen will be very important for Sony and the PlayStation brand.

LYPnR.jpg

Comandr

Regardless of who else is at e3 2013, Nintendo needs to be there in spades. Their 2012 e3 sucked; pretty hard I might add. Regardless of whether they want to spout that they are "not competing" directly with the HD twins or not, or the next gen consoles, its still a competition.

Even if you aren't direct rivals of, or competing against Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix, you still go to the Olympics to bring home the gold. You are still competing to win.

The blue ocean strategy worked (well enough) with the Wii to get mom and dad and grandma's attention. Now it's time to reel them all in. I consider myself a "hardcore" gamer. I like rich, deep experiences that take many hours to complete.

Of the Wii U's known launch games, the only games that are really appealing to me that I would consider owning are... Maybe AC3 and P-100. That needs to change.

HylianTom

Banned
That's a very impressive sales chart. I like.

Hmm. The way things are going for Nintendo (and for other hardware makers), it would perhaps be in developers' and media outlets' best interests to strengthen their relations with the big N. :)

That's a very impressive sales chart. I like.

Hmm. The way things are going for Nintendo (and for other hardware makers), it would perhaps be in developers' and media outlets' best interests to strengthen their relations with the big N. :)

From personal accounts from people having to deal with Nintendo, I don't know if they themselves have any interest in better relations, at least with the media.

Meelow

Banned
From personal accounts from people having to deal with Nintendo, I don't know if they themselves have any interest in better relations, at least with the media.

Nintendo said tons of times they want very strong relationships with third party's next gen, as for the Media I don't think Nintendo cares about them.

Actually I never thought about it that way. Sony's lack of originality could be beneficial this time around :)

Exactly, and if it proofs to be successful than Microsoft will probably follow through as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom