• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
From personal accounts from people having to deal with Nintendo, I don't know if they themselves have any interest in better relations, at least with the media.
Somehow their approach to media relations desn't surprise me. I can definitely see the good in this, but there are other times where it drives me batty..

Banned

Japanese software chart (13th-19th August)

[3DS] New Super Mario Bros, 2 - 148,225 (last week: 912,597)
[NDS] Pokemon Black 2 (White 2 - 62,274 (2,644,459)
[WII] Dragon Quest X - 47,065 (487,917)
[WII] Just Dance Wii 2 - 23,231 (137,423)
[3DS] Tohoku University Aging Medicine Research Institute - Headed By Professor Ryuta Kawashima - Train your Brain Effectively in 5 minutes a day with Oni Training - 20,372 (115,695)
[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb - 18,825 (166,588)
[WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus - 15,682 (1,043,307)
[3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! - 13,836 (89,944)
[WII] Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition - 13,067 (179,934)
[3DS] Kobitodzukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set - 12,646 (60,196)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rts?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

also from media create, nintendo consoles made up 75% of japan's sales last week :p

001.gif
And the Wii U is coming out.

Nintendo going Beast Mode Confirmed!

Earendil

That's a very impressive sales chart. I like.

Hmm. The way things are going for Nintendo (and for other hardware makers), it would perhaps be in developers' and media outlets' best interests to strengthen their relations with the big N. :)

You and I both know this won't happen. Sure, Nintendo could be a little more 'media friendly', but honestly I very much doubt it will get them anywhere. Most game journalists have already made up their mind about Nintendo.

Gaborn

Lol Adam Sessler

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler

And someone commented and said

Wow people are just mad Nintendo had a successful generation.

I think a lot of it (aside from the demographic issues that seem to be the focused on in these discussions) is essentially the industry insiders didn't see it coming. Prior to release, EVEN with $599 how many actual industry people predicted the Wii would finish first? I think the general consensus before E3 was PS3 was going to be strong again after PS2. I think after E3 a lot of those predictions switched to the 360 building and building on its year head start and simply never giving up the lead.

I can't remember a single major industry figure predicting the Wii would end the generation in first place prior to launch. Although I'm sure there were many GAFers that thought there was a chance, there was certainly a lot of "walk right in and pick it up a day or two after launch" sentiment.

bud23

Yeah, I definitely expect Nintendo to try to steal the thunder of the PS4 and Xbox 720 announcement at E3 2013, can you imagine though if Sony or Microsoft announced the Ps4 or Xbox 720 at E3 2012, Nintendo's conference would of been much better.

Your entire post is a giant LOL

I didn't mean that in regards to WHAT you're saying but how you approach it. The analyst thing is to guess what would make most sense for the company.

Of course it would make a lot of sense to reveal the Retro game or the game that was pulled from E3 last minute (assuming they're two different projects) now to hype people up for next year and beyond. But that doesn't mean they'll actually do that.

They might just show off less "significant" stuff like HD collections of GCN and/or Wii titles or something like a new Wave Race which would be awesome but probably not on the part of the mind-blow-scale like the Retro.

You obviously might be right but you just can't be so sure. That's all I'm saying.

Oh okay, yeah you're right - you can never guarantee with Nintendo, and that's why i love them.

Also damn, that's an impressive sales pie. Crazy how PS2 outsells XBOX 360 though...

That's a very impressive sales chart. I like.

Hmm. The way things are going for Nintendo (and for other hardware makers), it would perhaps be in developers' and media outlets' best interests to strengthen their relations with the big N. :)

Unfortunately, thats highly unlikely. They will doubt the Wii U on launch, and HYPE THE SHIT out of PS4/720 and hoping they would steamroll over the thorn in there eye, that is Nintendo!

Most of them MUST hate Nintendo, seeing how journalists treat them...

japtor

It better support 4 players, it was shown at E3 with 4 players already. It's the online that has been missing.
You and I both know this won't happen. Sure, Nintendo could be a little more 'media friendly', but honestly I very much doubt it will get them anywhere. Most game journalists have already made up their mind about Nintendo.
I'm guessing if they do anything they'll be more media friendly to normal mainstream news outlets (NYT, CNN, etc) and stay the same with gaming specific ones, maybe throw them a bone once in a while like Kotaku's Iwata interview (or just to specific writers like Totilo there?).

Meelow

Banned
I think a lot of it (aside from the demographic issues that seem to be the focused on in these discussions) is essentially the industry insiders didn't see it coming. Prior to release, EVEN with $599 how many actual industry people predicted the Wii would finish first? I think the general consensus before E3 was PS3 was going to be strong again after PS2. I think after E3 a lot of those predictions switched to the 360 building and building on its year head start and simply never giving up the lead.

I can't remember a single major industry figure predicting the Wii would end the generation in first place prior to launch. Although I'm sure there were many GAFers that thought there was a chance, there was certainly a lot of "walk right in and pick it up a day or two after launch" sentiment.

Yeah I was looking back at old threads before this generation started about the "Xbox 2", "PlayStation 3" and "Nintendo Revolution"

And some people said "why would people buy the Revolution when they can get the PS3?"

Note: This is before E3 2005

A lot of people didn't expect Nintendo to win this generation.

Your entire post is a giant LOL

It's true though.

If Nintendo wants to present itself as a powerful machine, a next gen machine, then $349.
Sony is not lowering the price of the PS3 which comes in at $299. Nintendo can even get away with $399 at this point. And I think they could by showing a graphically impressive game during the price / launch reveal. They might also get away with this price with a CoD game enhanced by the WiiU, and getting Monster Hunter. And as I said before, the public is used to paying premium prices for touch screens.

There's no way Nintendo will have nearly the same success with a $399 price tag.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Online? Because local was pretty much a given. I think I've even seen some videos of 4 people playing at the same time.

If that game doesn't support online then nobody should buy it.

jerd

If Nintendo wants to present itself as a powerful machine, a next gen machine, then $349.
Sony is not lowering the price of the PS3 which comes in at $299. Nintendo can even get away with $399 at this point. And I think they could by showing a graphically impressive game during the price / launch reveal. They might also get away with this price with a CoD game enhanced by the WiiU, and getting Monster Hunter. And as I said before, the public is used to paying premium prices for touch screens.

This is key, but it isn't necessarily about graphics. From what we know now, the system probably won't sell at $399. If they show off some kickass features and show us that it can do things outside of the realm of possibility for the other consoles besides the tablet, then maybe they could get away with a higher price point.

HylianTom

Banned
Yup.

In which case, there's a chance that journalists might only be "friendly" to one console-maker by the end of the decade. Good luck to them with that.

Hoodbury

How do we know this, exactly?

I think the average consumer would see that as too high for a Nintendo product. I'm hoping Nintendo thinks that as well when they said they won't pull a "3DS high price point". They said they learned from the 3DS launch with the price being too high.

DjRoomba

Banned
This is the truth about Conker.

Very puerile humor. But not lacking in expletives or adult themes. Kind of like South Park, but not as "smart" if you want to call South Park smart. Pretty much like my jokes actually. Very little substance, but hey who doesn't get a chuckle from visualizing a monkey beating off smoking a joint?

well it was all done with a heavy dosage of ironic edge, so it wasnt just pure puerility.

Yup.

In which case, there's a chance that journalists might only be "friendly" to one console-maker by the end of the decade. Good luck to them with that.

The amount of "Nintendo is doomed, now for realzzz!" news will be staggering once the (heavily overblown) hype machines of PS4 and 720 start rollin.

I agree entirely.

I dislike COD for this very reason. About 80% of my gaming is solo: just me against the game, so when all I get is a 5 or 6 hour campaign I see it as a complete waste of my hard earned beer tokens.

Call of Duty series never focused on the single player. Nobody buys it JUST for the single player, unless they know nothing of the franchise/uber casuals that don't play games online on their consoles. It's a casual brogamer pick up and go multiplayer game that is meant to be played against other people(like popular sports franchises).

BO2 will continue like BO1, with having the campaign, zombie mode, and the usual online multiplayer, which offers hours of entertainment

You don't have to have friends sitting next to you to play CoD either. You can play by yourself online or add some friends from message boards if you want.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Warning! Pachter alert. And he brings up the "no more powerful than current gen" thing again... Sigh.

Pachter said the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft will be out by spring 2014 at the latest, and he does not expect the year head start for the Wii U to be damaging to the sales the next Xbox and Playstation will receive.

"Fall of 2013 at the earliest, spring 2014 at the latest.

"Place a six month window from October 1, 2013 - March 31, 2014 for both launches.

"Yes, they'll give Nintendo a head start, and no, neither of them is concerned about the impact of a head start. They won't say it, but both manufacturers think Nintendo's glory days are behind it.

"I don't think the Wii U's head start will make much difference at all, since I don't expect it to be any more powerful than current generation consoles, but maybe Nintendo will surprise me," Pachter said.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pac...4-anti-used-gaming-industry-powers-weaknesses

Why wouldn't Sony lower their price of the PS3? The Wii U is a HUGE threat to the PS3. It's THE best time to slash prices this holiday season, to better compete against the Wii U/

1. The Wii U is in direct competition for market shares/fanbase with the PS3 and 360. This could at least mean less sales for popular multiplatform games at least.
2. Moore's Law makes computer parts cheaper over time. Wouldn't be too surprised if Sony is making some profit with their 120 GB $299 models already by now.

Sony could easily release another SKU with more cost saving materials + less hard drive space and limiting other hardware features if necessary, and/or slash prices 3 months from now, if they wanted to.

Comandr

Why wouldn't Sony lower their price of the PS3? The Wii U is a HUGE threat to the PS3. It's THE best time to slash prices this holiday season, to better compete against the Wii U/

1. The Wii U is in direct competition for market shares/fanbase with the PS3 and 360. This could at least mean less sales for popular multiplatform games at least.
2. Moore's Law makes computer parts cheaper over time. Wouldn't be too surprised if Sony is making some profit with their 120 GB $299 models already by now.

Sony could easily release another SKU with more cost saving materials + less hard drive space and limiting other hardware features if necessary, and/or slash prices 3 months from now, if they wanted to.

Not terribly long ago Sony did a temporary price cut for the 120gb model to $200. I believe this will be the permanent price soon in light of the wii u.

Donnie

Is Patcher even real? Or is he just an imaginary character people use to post comedy quotes? He can't actually be real, nobody's that stupid.

bud23

The Wii U “isn’t going to work”, according to prominent video game industry analyst Michael Pachter. He believes the Wii U won’t achieve the same success as the original Wii console, which has sold almost 100 million units worldwide. This isn’t the first time Pachter is critical of the Wii U — he previously said the Wii U could be the next Dreamcast.

LOL
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/07/game-analyst-wii-u/

tkscz

The Wii U “isn’t going to work”, according to prominent video game industry analyst Michael Pachter. He believes the Wii U won’t achieve the same success as the original Wii console, which has sold almost 100 million units worldwide. This isn’t the first time Pachter is critical of the Wii U — he previously said the Wii U could be the next Dreamcast.

LOL

Dude, it's been posted right above this post.

But that costs money.

Sony and Microsoft has made tons of SKUs in the past, and slashed prices, have they not? Competing with a next gen console that costs just as much as them for retail ($299 for instance at least) or slightly more, could make a lasting impact.

And this is something that Sony and Microsoft would have likely planned IMO, since the Wii U got a tentative launch window release date at least.

I'd be much more surprised than not, if Sony and MS doesn't cut their prices this holiday season to compete with the Wii U. They definitely aren't just gonna sit back and have the Wii U take away their fanbase and $$$ away from them...

bud23

Dude, it's been posted right above this post.

No dude,the article I posted is another,dude.
Don´t worry,I know that you don´t want to read things like these;

“Hardcore gamers will buy the Wii U, hardcore Nintendo fanboys will buy it. They [Nintendo] could put out a piece of cardboard and say that it’ll play Mario and they’ll buy it”.Pachter

mimho

LOL

Think at the "Nintendo was lucky with the Wii" approach for the deep analysis of the market, and you will understand the great mind of this man. But not only versus the big N.....

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/19/pachter-borderlands-has-been-sent-to-die/

What a glorious incapacity of understanding the videogamers.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's weird how you can trace back the rationale behind these kinds of predictions.

Nintendo's "glory days" are over. Why? Because the Wii spiked early and sales pace slowed dramatically recently.

MS and Sony not worried about Wii U headstart. Why? Because Public perception of Wii U is based on misinformation, idiotic speculation, not understanding what the device can do, no enthusiasm from the media the for the same reasons

Not more "powerful" (kinda empty word, btw) than current gen. Why? Because most of what we've seen are ports of current gen titles or "simple" looking games or up-ports. Also, because Xbox 3 and PS4 are expected to be incredible powerhouses ... because ... they were last time?

And there's the problem: for all these predictions and impressions and opinions, people just look at what happened last go around:

-Wii had Gamecube graphics. So Wii U stuff can't possibly look better than current HD games.
-Wii only mostly sold to families as a Wii-sports machine. So Wii U can only possibly sell to those people again who will not care this time because they "already have iPads."
-The next Xbox and Playstation will be marginally improved in terms of graphics and will be the ultimate gaming machines again. Why? Because last gen they were/currently are.
-These two new machines will leave Wii U in the dust and nobody will make "the good games" for it. Why? 'Cause that's what happened last time.

Why don't they realize how silly this is? How can one be so shortsighted? Assuming the cycle repeats itself over and over and over is just ridiculous. This has never happened before. The NES stomped everything into the ground, then the Genesis/SNES had a head-to-head battle, then Sega almost completely vanished and PSX/N64 had a head-to-head battle which the newcomer won, then the PS2 took over like crazy because it was a DVD player and Sega went out of the hardware business and MS squeezed in there and made a respectable debut while Nintendo slowly drifted to the backseat. Then suddenly, PS3 started out as a huge flop, the Xbox took over until the Wii took off like a stripper does with clothes.

How can anyone be so naive and predict the situation will play out exactly like a pattern that has only established itself in one iteration maybe 2 years ago when PS3 and 360 evened out a little and Wii sales started to go down.

Of course we're all just guessing but why doesn't someone sit down to look at how shit went down over all the years and starts setting people straight?

Luckily when you make the best games and have the strongest intellectual properties on the planet you dont need to care what your competitors think of you.

Banned

LOL

I lol'd at "analyst".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom