• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
didnt Patcher say the 3DS was doomed even when it had more sales then the DS at that point in its life? Yea I thought so, the guy is clueless
But... but... 3D is just a gimmick!
They should charge for the 3D in Nintendo 3DS games because gamers feel entitled to "Once 3D, always 3D."

japtor

Is Patcher even real? Or is he just an imaginary character people use to post comedy quotes? He can't actually be real, nobody's that stupid.
I assume he's doing it for hits. He got y'all to spend most of the last page linking and discussing him after all. He's like the John C. Dvorak* of the video game world.

*Famous Apple troll, he explains his methodology here, doesn't seem too far off of what Pachter is doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMQv0j29WHA
Now that hes not at g4, what is he doing?
Being a poor man's Pachter?
Man why do those boxes look so huge?
Finally we have made a return to landscape layout boxes like the SNES.

If the console is $300 with Nintendo Land, NSMB U, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Rabbids Land and Rayman Legends all day one launch games then the Wii U will sell insane numbers imo.

My nightmare scenario is the system is $350 with Pikmin 3 and ZombiU not out until 'early 2013'.

Not long to go until we find out for certain... at last !.

jacksrb

I feel people need to simmer down on the Patcher stuff. One, he is trolling you a little.

Two, if someone continues to say things that you think are uninformed/stupid/etc. to the point where you think that person is a duffus, then you should probably stop caring what that person says.

jerd

Question for a slow news night:

I have little hope for third-party titles in this regard, but do you think Wii U online games will allow us to choose between traditional and motion controls?

I know a lot of you are huge fans of pointer controls for FPSs, but for me it was Mario Kart. I really felt like I had a ton more control with the wii remote than I ever have had with an analog stick. Do you guys think online Wii U games will allow us to prove that our preferred control method is superior?

Question for a slow news night:

I have little hope for third-party titles in this regard, but do you think Wii U online games will allow us to choose between traditional and motion controls?

I know a lot of you are huge fans of pointer controls for FPSs, but for me it was Mario Kart. I really felt like I had a ton more control with the wii remote than I ever have had with an analog stick. Do you guys think online Wii U games will allow us to prove that our preferred control method is superior?

With respect for tilt-to-steer, the GamePad can do that. It may even do so in NintendoLand, and I could swear that one of the racing games (probably Project CARS) was rumoured to have different control options like that.

I think it'd be the bees knees if the servers released live statistics of the sort you describe. The rise of Achievements should have shown the Big Three that gamers really like meta-gaming of all kinds.

jerd

With respect for tilt-to-steer, the GamePad can do that. It may even do so in NintendoLand, and I could swear that one of the racing games (probably Project CARS) was rumoured to have different control options like that.

I think it'd be the bees knees if the servers released live statistics of the sort you describe. The rise of Achievements should have shown the Big Three that gamers really like meta-gaming of all kinds.

That's a big part of it. Hopefully CARS does offer different methods. Do you think developers (especially third-party) will use motion controls? Particularly in multiplat games? I think it is likely that most exclusives will use motion controls, but I'm wondering if these third-party devs making a multiplat game will go out of their way to add at least one entirely new control scheme on top of the gamepad functionality they are adding. And if they do, will they actually put some love into it, or will it be garbage? I think too far into these things...

Aguila

#ICONIC
I feel people need to simmer down on the Patcher stuff. One, he is trolling you a little.

Two, if someone continues to say things that you think are uninformed/stupid/etc. to the point where you think that person is a duffus, then you should probably stop caring what that person says.

Exactly!!! I honestly don't understand why so many people here like posting his comments/opinions. I'm sure there is a far more reliable industry analyst somewhere out there.

That's a big part of it. Hopefully CARS does offer different methods. Do you think developers (especially third-party) will use motion controls? Particularly in multiplat games? I think it is likely that most exclusives will use motion controls, but I'm wondering if these third-party devs making a multiplat game will go out of their way to add at least one entirely new control scheme on top of the gamepad functionality they are adding. And if they do, will they actually put some love into it, or will it be garbage? I think too far into these things...

Go back and play M&M Kart Racing then come here and ask again.

The gamepad is pretty useless though as it doesn't have analog triggers which completely disqualifies it for realistic racing games.
If they were to add analog triggers, the Gamepad could become a great entry level steering wheel. Just selling a small plastic addon to fix it in place would make it amazing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Playing Sleeping Dogs with a 360 pad reminds me how incredibly useful analogue triggers are for operating any sort of vehicle in a game.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

At this year’s gamescom Ubisoft demoed a new naval mission for Assassin’s Creed III on the WiiU and PS3, though what quickly caught our attention was that the two weren’t identical.

According to Lead Game Designer Steven Masters, the limited time the development team had to work with the Nintendo hardware has brought up some challenges. Because of this, Masters claims that they are glad that the WiiU version’s release date is still to be announced.

Supposedly the game performs 99% as well as its current gen counter parts, with missing lightings and particle effects creating the most apparent differences. From what we were told, Assassin’s Creed III is planned to match the graphics of the PS3 and Xbox360, not exceed them. However, this is highly dependant of how much time is actually given to work on the title.

http://xbigygames.com/assassins-creed-3-still-playing-catch-up-on-the-wiiu/

ArynCrinn

Banned
The gamepad is pretty useless though as it doesn't have analog triggers which completely disqualifies it for realistic racing games.
If they were to add analog triggers, the Gamepad could become a great entry level steering wheel. Just selling a small plastic addon to fix it in place would make it amazing.

Really don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just add GCN style triggers and call it a day. Almost everybody loved them.

MarkusRJR

So do we know for sure if the Wii U will have an account system? I want to buy a Wii U at launch but I'm worried the hardware will crap out on me and I'll lose my DD games and Rock Band DLC (do we even know if DLC will transfer over?). I had a bunch of problems with my near-launch Wii in that regard. I don't mind buying a new console down the line if my launch Wii U breaks, but I'd want my downloadable games to move over. That's one of my big concerns with buying on launch.

donny2112

In regards to Pachter's views on Wii U, it's worth remembering that he seems to view Wii U as his long-predicted, late-coming Wii HD (i.e. an HD version of Wii for the PS360 generation). He's wrong, but it does explain his reasonings as to Wii U's chances of success.

On the ACIII comment, with the CPU differences and coming up-to-speed with new hardware (with apparently semi-frequent compiler-breaking changes with new firmware), getting launch games up to late, late-gen PS360 level is probably on the good side of what to expect. Does bode well for future performance compared to PS360, though. We'll see how far it is behind PS480 once games actually come out for it. I'm sure we'll see "target renders" and CGI saying "this is what PS480 will look like," but try to remember Sony's E3 2005 Killzone presentation and wait for the real games to release before making meaningful comparisons.

jerd

Isn't that old? And what's the bad news? The team is small and limited in time. No one ever expected the Wii U version to exceed the other versions, either.

Yeah every version including the PC (if I remember right) is supposed to be the exact same visually, so the Wii U version was never supposed to exceed them. They also said that in the end the Wii U version will be up to par so no worries just yet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah every version including the PC (if I remember right)

It would be pretty unusual for AC3 to be the same on PC. The last batch of Creed games were improved quite nicely.

jerd

It would be pretty unusual for AC3 to be the same on PC. The last batch of Creed games were improved quite nicely.

I'll have to dig, I must have misread it. That's good to know though because I recently bought the PC versions of Brotherhood and Revelations. I have AC2 on 360 so hopefully I can see some pretty solid improvements when I start on Brotherhood.

Pineconn

Let's make a thread

133162641960.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A bit OT, but I still think there will be a Nintendo Direct this month. I mean, why should they skip this month suddenly, considering they've always followed the pattern? And still, there can be even at the beginning of next week, on the 27th ( as happened in April). It'd be the same day of the possible The World Ends With You 2 announcement; during Nintendo Direct there could be a trailer.

usmanusb

WiiU may be a moderate console to start the next gen cycle but the current gen got so many convincing titles during the launch window which could hinder the Wii U sales... Yes Assassin Creed 3, Darksiders 2, dark knight and Aliens are quite cool games, but will it attract people who can play on their current systems? What will be the main selling point for WiiU? functionality? games? experience?

I think for x720 and PS4, developers will be in pressure to produce something differential from current gen.. but i have doubt it could show tremendous differences like from PS2 gen to PS3 gen ...

Nibel

ibTe7joJNjM1u.gif

A bit OT, but I still think there will be a Nintendo Direct this month. I mean, why should they skip this month suddenly, considering they've always followed the pattern? And still, there can be even at the beginning of next week, on the 27th ( as happened in April). It'd be the same day of the possible The World Ends With You 2 announcement; during Nintendo Direct there could be a trailer.

I can see them doing this, yes. We can safely assume that they skipped ND this month if this month is over, and since we are still in August I think we should wait. Besides, it's still a long road until the September conference.
So yeah, ND ist still possible.

EDarkness

From what the AC3 devs told me, the PS3 was the lead platform since it was the hardest to deal with. All other versions will be the same, at least they were trying to make sure all of them were exactly the same. I asked if there would be any additions for the PC and was told that wouldn't happen (of course things can change and he did say that resolutions could be adjusted), but that's what I was told. Their goal was to have all versions look and play the same regardless of platform.

Even on the Wii U the HUD can be on screen and you can play the game without the use of the Wii Pad. Which will allow it to play exactly like the other versions. I don't think the Wii Pad additions are all that interesting. A map and way to quickly switch weapons. Yep...extensive.

EatChildren

From what the AC3 devs told me, the PS3 was the lead platform since it was the hardest to deal with. All other versions will be the same, at least they were trying to make sure all of them were exactly the same. I asked if there would be any additions for the PC and was told that wouldn't happen (of course things can change and he did say that resolutions could be adjusted), but that's what I was told. Their goal was to have all versions look and play the same regardless of platform.

If true that's very, very disappointing. AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations had much better texture quality, improved shadow algorithms, support for 3D and various other tweaks. Wasn't a case of huge additional features (ala DX11 bells and whistles), but they most definitely looked a lot better than the console iterations.

A backwards step if Ubi is doing a direct port.

Stewox

Banned

Wasn't already known that L and R are analog but ZL and ZR aren't?

Playing Sleeping Dogs with a 360 pad reminds me how incredibly useful analogue triggers are for operating any sort of vehicle in a game.
Every time I play a 360 game I'm reminded how they're just not as good as buttons for the overwhelming majority of games which don't require analogue input.

Ryoku

If true that's very, very disappointing. AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations had much better texture quality, improved shadow algorithms, support for 3D and various other tweaks. Wasn't a case of huge additional features (ala DX11 bells and whistles), but they most definitely looked a lot better than the console iterations.

Yo, I took your recommendation a while back of playing Arkham City. I played Asylum, and am currently playing City. Holy shit. The games are phenomenal--especially Arkham City.

Every time I play a 360 game I'm reminded how they're just not as good as buttons for the overwhelming majority of games which don't require analogue input.

I dont even get this comment.

Are you talking about the triggers only or what? Examples?

Are the Wii U triggers not analogue or something? What is this about?

Cause I cant really think of a case where the x360 triggers being analog hurt anything.

I dont even get this comment.

Are you talking about the triggers only or what? Examples?

Are the Wii U triggers not analogue or something? What is this about?

Cause I cant really think of a case where the x360 triggers being analog hurt anything.

It's not like the triggers are so much worse they're ruining games, but as analogue triggers it's just a fact that they can't be as good as a digital button for a digital input due to the excessive movement required to trigger is and the reduced response time as a result.
I suppose the argument that the trade off in response time for added functionality of an analogue trigger is worth it, but personally I'd rather have four digital buttons on the shoulders.

D-e-f-

Banned
WTF Nibel? What did you do??

the pachter rule:

he says he isn´t sure= its captain obvious striking again

he is stating things as facts= opposite will happen

correct me if im wrong

if you wanna copyright that or something you should call it the Pachter Pattern. it's catchier

Yeah, the Wii U gets a freepass of being the weakest because it's coming out a year earlier than the PS4 and Xbox 720, it looked bad this gen for the Wii because it was the last one to come out but the weakest.

Actually, the PS3 was the last one to be fully (!) out the door worldwide. The Wii launched globally before Xmas 2006. The PS3 came out in SPRING 2007 (March 23) in Europe 'cause they couldn't get their shit together at the last minute. It's crazy how incredibly rocky their start was this gen.

old news. also, not very specific news.

So do we know for sure if the Wii U will have an account system? I want to buy a Wii U at launch but I'm worried the hardware will crap out on me and I'll lose my DD games and Rock Band DLC (do we even know if DLC will transfer over?). I had a bunch of problems with my near-launch Wii in that regard. I don't mind buying a new console down the line if my launch Wii U breaks, but I'd want my downloadable games to move over. That's one of my big concerns with buying on launch.

yes, it has been officially announced many many months ago that there will be an account system. even if it didn't you wouldn't lose anything, just like you don't lose anything now when your 3DS, DSi or Wii breaks. you'd send it to Nintendo and they'd move your stuff over manually to your new console or remote-enable it on the new system.

you can scratch that off your problem-list.

japtor

It'll have 100% more intrusive DRM!

yes, it has been officially announced many many months ago that there will be an account system. even if it didn't you wouldn't lose anything, just like you don't lose anything now when your 3DS, DSi or Wii breaks. you'd send it to Nintendo and they'd move your stuff over manually to your new console or remote-enable it on the new system.

you can scratch that off your problem-list.

I bet the accounts are permanently tied to your console and in order to move them elsewhere you have to transfer all of them. Also you have a 5 hardware change limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom