• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
Why is saying you would like to see a game on another platform called ‘port begging’ and why in God's name is it a heinous evil offence?

I bet the vesion of port begging that was the reason for this to become bannable was the "game X would be so much better on platform Y because platform Z suxx0rz!!!"

It's understandable in some way. But also terribly annoying if you have to be afraid to say "I'd love to see this game come out on [platform I own or want to buy]"´."

Stewox

Banned
Played it at Gamescom?

Nope, unless I got a free ride to cologne or klagenfurt or wherever it is.

But I wouldn't go alone anyways if i could. Most of my well known friends are pretty much out of gaming - they play but it's not like in the old days. Maybe i could have asked somebody but didn't, well I didn't even expect WiiU at gamescom to begin with.

But yeah If i went to game show i would also need a pretty good camera to catch tech stuff and get all those juicy details.

One of the biggest blunders is why nobody the heck snapshotted the controller up close so we could count the pixels again.

Can't wait to see pics of WiiU assembly boxes, shipping crates, containers ... I live pretty far away of even remotely possibly catching any of that stuff.

Stewox

Banned
No, I know it because I played it at Gamescom. All Shoulder Buttons are digital on the gamepad.

You put "?" at the end.

And not klagenfurt lol, i meant frankfurt, but nvm, I see it was moved, funny now I remember the story of big publishers wanting to move to cologne but not participating this year.

Sheroking

I dont even get this comment.

Are you talking about the triggers only or what? Examples?

Are the Wii U triggers not analogue or something? What is this about?

Cause I cant really think of a case where the x360 triggers being analog hurt anything.

The only thing I can think of is first person combat that uses the triggers, like Skyrim or Dead Island.

I bet the vesion of port begging that was the reason for this to become bannable was the "game X would be so much better on platform Y because platform Z suxx0rz!!!"

It's understandable in some way. But also terribly annoying if you have to be afraid to say "I'd love to see this game come out on [platform I own or want to buy]"´."

Because for a time it was the first page of any new game announcement thread.

Haha, total insanity when you see the shit that's tolerated in WiiU threads. Like.. .. WOW!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haha, total insanity when you see the shit that's tolerated in WiiU threads. Like.. .. WOW!!

You mean when people starting whining about port begging in the Rayman Legends thread and we rightfully cleaned it up with bans?

You mean when people starting whining about port begging in the Rayman Legends thread and we rightfully cleaned it up with bans?

Lol, no. I just don't see the problem with it. What's the difference between that and people 'power begging' and 'graphics begging' in WiiU threads? And more to the point, which one cause more trouble? Answers on a postcard!

Edit.

Just to add to that, I made a comment I think on another forum saying that I want Project Cars on the Dreamcast (because I loved the pad and triggers for racers) I mean.. .. would that be bannable? Where does it stop?!?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Port begging has been a bannable offence for years because it derails threads dedicated to a game's preview, review, trailer, screenshot, interview, review and whatever else into "BU BU BU WHY ISN'T IT ON MY FAVOURITE SYSTEM". It serves no purpose and rarely, if ever, has any relation to the topic at hand. It's people shitting up threads with whining and begging for a game they'd otherwise never get and thus never discuss.

'Graphic whining' seems like a thinly veiled request to have people stop discussing the graphics of the Wii U full stop, at least in any negative light. You discuss hardware, you discuss screenshots, you discuss trailers, and you are discussing the processing power and graphical capabilities of said hardware. Not everybody is going to be happy with the product their looking at or the games their interested in.

If someone is coming into a thread and saying "WELL JEEZ I WISH THE WII U WAS ACTUALLY A PLAYSTATION BY THE WAY I DONT OWN A WII U NOR WILL I BUT PLAYSTATION RULES" then we'll ban it. There's absolutely no reason to ban people commenting on the hardware power itself and expressing a desire for something greater.

The difference between the two topics should really be very, very obvious.

A bit OT, but I still think there will be a Nintendo Direct this month. I mean, why should they skip this month suddenly, considering they've always followed the pattern? And still, there can be even at the beginning of next week, on the 27th ( as happened in April). It'd be the same day of the possible The World Ends With You 2 announcement; during Nintendo Direct there could be a trailer.

We only got a week left in August. Also, if the Wii U event is streamable live there wouldn't be much point. Maybe October to recap

EatChildren

On another topic: there's been a few requests from members here regarding the status of the next Wii U thread, suggesting it be moved over to the main gaming side to sit with other discussion threads (eg: Vita/3DS general threads, and so on). I've had a talk with Nirolak about this, and current answer to the request is "yes" with a "but".

The first is a word of warning: moving this thread over the general gaming will attract attention from a wider variety of posters, including those less optimistic though still interested in the Wii U, and those who are not interested at all. There is a line between trolling we'd manage, but the point is by keeping the thread heavily active on the main page, you can expect a greater influx of opinions and discussion that you may not be used to. Our goal is not to keep threads positive, but relevant. Having a Wii U general on the front page means you must accept the wider spectrum of opinions from users, including those outright disappointed with the system.

Trolling and unnecessary provoking would result in bans, but this goes for both sides of the table. More optimistic Wii U fans engaging in hostilities and over defensive behaviour with members expressing pessimistic opinions will enjoy similar bans. Getting along does not mean everybody feeling the same way about something. It means people freely discussing a wide range of opinions and topics and not taking disagreements to heart.

That is the main point we'd want to get across with a new thread. It would be a thread for everybody interested in discussing the Wii U.

The second point would be that we'd talk about what kind of name we'd call it, and it likely would not be called the "Wii U X debate thread" or "Wii U speculation thread", but a new thread entirely. Something to start on fresh ground in the gaming forum.

So, I dunno, discuss it amongst yourselves and see what you think. End of the day, this is how we feel about moving the discussion over to gaming.

D-e-f-

Banned
This seriously reads like we're a bunch of folks from the wilderness who are finally being let back into civilization.

Totally nuts. And kinda appropriate lol.

But should there already be such an official thread? Wii U is still about 2 months away. Lots of time for madness and crazy speculations and wet dreams to be posted. I guess I don't trust us with The Normalz yet. We're not ready to leave the nest!

EatChildren

Bit early for an official thread I think. Honestly I'm not sure of the ruling when it comes to console OTs, but I'm assuming they follow a similar 1 - 2 week pre-release requirement. Two months is probably a bit long, but I'll discuss it with the others anyway.

Either way, it's less about letting the savages back into society (well kinda...) and moreso about opening the discussion up to literally everyone. I mean, it's open here, but most people who frequent this thread (like all other OTs) are the ones who enjoy engage in discussion with other regulars. Hence, community.

In Gaming you'll see a wider spectrum of posts, and the nature of discussion will change from the tone of what it's normally like. If people are prepared for what that entails then we're fine with the next Wii U thread landing Gaming side.

Bit early for an official thread I think. Honestly I'm not sure of the ruling when it comes to console OTs, but I'm assuming they follow a similar 1 - 2 week pre-release requirement. Two months is probably a bit long, but I'll discuss it with the others anyway.

Either way, it's less about letting the savages back into society (well kinda...) and moreso about opening the discussion up to literally everyone. I mean, it's open here, but most people who frequent this thread (like all other OTs) are the ones who enjoy engage in discussion with other regulars. Hence, community.

In Gaming you'll see a wider spectrum of posts, and the nature of discussion will change from the tone of what it's normally like. If people are prepared for what that entails then we're fine with the next Wii U thread landing Gaming side.

Don't know what the cause for concern is, the previous wii u threads surprisingly were not that bad in terms of trolling.

DrWong

If people are prepared for what that entails then we're fine with the next Wii U thread landing Gaming side.
My body is ready.

pt27576.jpg

Roo

I think the OT is inevitable in the gaming side but I think the next WUST should stay here. At least we know only Nintendo fans and the occasional hit and run poster comment in this thread.

Just my opinion of course...I'm just tired of the same shit over and over going back and forth all the time

Don't know what the cause for concern is, the previous wii u threads surprisingly were not that bad in terms of trolling.

This one comes after E3.

EatChildren is right. Going back to Gaming may seem like it's a blow for legitimacy, it's just going to be a lot of "Five year old hardware, Nintendo/any avatar not of a real person mean I can't take you seriously, Sumo said this and are right but Vigil said this and are lying," etc. posts.

For some of you, it's the exact right circumstances to get your name greyed out.

The Vita thread manages alright from the few times I go in it. Some posters ofc prefer things 'closed off' but thats not really what a forum is for. No problems in any of the 3DS topics really.

With a good OP I think it should go well enough. Don't see why WiiU is different from anything else.

This one comes after E3.

EatChildren is right. Going back to Gaming may seem like it's a blow for legitimacy, it's just going to be a lot of "Five year old hardware, Nintendo/any avatar not of a real person mean I can't take you seriously, Sumo said this and are right but Vigil said this and are lying," etc. posts.

For some of you, it's the exact right circumstances to get your name greyed out.

Hmm ..hadn't thought of that.

Well, my only gripe is that this thread is mostly about hardware and graphics would be the main discussion if moved to the main gaming board. Where is the general discussion about Wii U games/software?

Is it possible to just create a software/general thread for Wii U and keep this thrad related to the continuing hardware topics?

EatChildren

Well, my only gripe is that this thread is mostly about hardware and graphics would be the main discussion if moved to the main gaming board. Where is the general discussion about Wii U games/software?

This was a Wii U general/speculation thread, and was renamed by one of the mods as a joke/observation that despite claiming to be a general/speculation thread, 90% of discussion was about hardware and graphics.

As we'd be naming a new thread in general we'd be encouraging discussion of all subjects, not just hardware.

This was a Wii U general/speculation thread, and was renamed by one of the mods as a joke/observation that despite claiming to be a general/speculation thread, 90% of discussion was about hardware and graphics.

As we'd be naming a new thread in general we'd be encouraging discussion of all subjects, not just hardware.

How about we call it something boring but to the point like:
Wii U Prelaunch Thread

The Vita thread manages alright from the few times I go in it. Some posters ofc prefer things 'closed off' but thats not really what a forum is for. No problems in any of the 3DS topics really.

With a good OP I think it should go well enough. Don't see why WiiU is different from anything else.

Vita thread has carefully culled itself to people who really, really like the Vita. Not this this thread is all that different, but there is a very obvious "You're not one of us" mentality there. Or at least the times I have tried to post there to talk about my Vita have indicated that to me.

With the strong anti-sentiment around Nintendo, perhaps it would be better to seperate the Wii U discussion into 2 threads: Wii U Hardware Discussion and Wii U Pre-launch Speculation. We would just have to specify which thread is for what in the opening creation. The trolls should migrate more toward the Hardware thread and us Nintendo peeps would find the Prelaunch Speculation thread to be more comfortable in the long run. Like jonny dude said

Kacho

The first is a word of warning: moving this thread over the general gaming will attract attention from a wider variety of posters, including those less optimistic though still interested in the Wii U, and those who are not interested at all. There is a line between trolling we'd manage, but the point is by keeping the thread heavily active on the main page, you can expect a greater influx of opinions and discussion that you may not be used to. Our goal is not to keep threads positive, but relevant. Having a Wii U general on the front page means you must accept the wider spectrum of opinions from users, including those outright disappointed with the system.

Cool. I'm confident you guys will do a good job keeping people in check who need it. I honestly can't wait to have a Wii U thread in the Gaming section again. With a wider variety of posters we often get more interesting discussion.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This one comes after E3.

THIS. That place could be a graveyard.

Put me down for suggesting a Gaming side Wii U thread being made near launch.

That mod must have come in at the wrong time as the point where it was changed the hardware discussion wasn't even that long in comparison to the whole of the thread. And when looking at all the posts in total I don't see the justification in keeping the title as is.

D-e-f-

Banned

I think you may have misunderstood me because that was precisely what I wast trying to say--it's too early for a Wii U thread back on the gaming board. That said, I'm still not that familiar with how things work around here so it seems your original suggestion to move things back to the gaming board was more along the lines of just another speculation/pre-launch thread and I read that as being an official thread.

I like this idea:

With the strong anti-sentiment around Nintendo, perhaps it would be better to seperate the Wii U discussion into 2 threads: Wii U Hardware Discussion and Wii U Pre-launch Speculation. We would just have to specify which thread is for what in the opening creation. The trolls should migrate more toward the Hardware thread and us Nintendo peeps would find the Prelaunch Speculation thread to be more comfortable in the long run. Like jonny dude said

EatChildren

There's not going to be a segregation between "Nintendo peeps" and the others, that's the point I'm making. If we're making a thread just for trolls, and the other for self proclaimed Nintendo fans, then we're accomplishing nothing than what is already being done here with the addition of a pointless thread for trolls.

Unfortunately some people have the perception of "trolls" being people who don't share their optimism and fandom of Nintendo, and this is what we want to avoid should the thread move to gaming.

Trolling would be dealt with regardless of the thread. We don't want to encourage trolling at all. But putting it in gaming means this thread will no longer be a haven for regular, dedicated Nintendo fans to talk all things Nintendo with a frequently positive spin. In gaming you're going to get people who are interested in talking about the Wii, and do enjoy Nintendo's products, but will be less optimistic, less positive, and more inclined to express perceptively negative opinions on Wii U related goodies. Trolling is one things, but a different opinion is another.

ShockingAlberto put it eloquently. Unfortunately some posters, and this goes for all platforms and games, get easily riled up when confronted with certain opinions they don't agree with. And these posters are quite likely to get banned. If all we want is a fairly quiet Wii U thread where Nintendo regulars gather then, well, we've got one right here. And we'd keep it until the official pre-launch OT hits gaming.

Put it this way: at the moment, this thread is mostly a "Wii U fan discussion". In gaming, it will be a "Wii U general discussion", with certain rules and regulations applied. At this point having both is silly, as it's basically admitting we have "Wii U positive thread" and "Wii U shitbin", the trolls and idiots flocking to one and the protective Nintendo fans flocking to the other. Segregation is bad.

That mod must have come in at the wrong time as the point where it was changed the hardware discussion wasn't even that long in comparison to the whole of the thread. And when looking at all the posts in total I don't see the justification in keeping the title as is.

Yeah, it should probably be changed. I'll get around to it shortly.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This one comes after E3.

I'd rather my tag stayed blue, thank you very much.

mimho

Please, come back to the topic with a news..... maybe.....

http://kotaku.com/5936970/it-sounds-like-nintendo-wants-to-make-a-gamers-version-of-facebook

"I feel that we need to create—or present—a gaming platform as the place to create that 'social graph' for folks who are in gaming circles," Iwata said as he began to describe to me Nintendo's ambitions for an online service called Miiverse

Iwata: "We have reached an era where even a single-player game experience [can] have a social component that is very important. And I think, again, that social component is mandatory."

What kind of surprise are hiding for the 13 september? Still waiting.

Trolls migrate to wherever they can get the most attention. I think having actual games being on the market will help a lot. At the same time though some Nintendo fans need to keep from going out of their way to defend Nintendo any time an "opportunity" presents itself in other threads. That just helps encourage others to want to come into the Nintendo-specific threads and argue.

daakusedo

Maybe the follow up to this thread is not needed?
There will be a thread for the september event, some others dedicated to news about games and sytstem features. And then later an OT for the launch. Hadware speculation has been slow and running in circle, and here we're often posting news that already have their proper thread or this place being a backroom for complaining like the sony smash bro thread after the Kamiya incident (lol).

Port begging has been a bannable offence for years because it derails threads dedicated to a game's preview, review, trailer, screenshot, interview, review and whatever else into "BU BU BU WHY ISN'T IT ON MY FAVOURITE SYSTEM". It serves no purpose and rarely, if ever, has any relation to the topic at hand. It's people shitting up threads with whining and begging for a game they'd otherwise never get and thus never discuss.

'Graphic whining' seems like a thinly veiled request to have people stop discussing the graphics of the Wii U full stop, at least in any negative light. You discuss hardware, you discuss screenshots, you discuss trailers, and you are discussing the processing power and graphical capabilities of said hardware. Not everybody is going to be happy with the product their looking at or the games their interested in.

If someone is coming into a thread and saying "WELL JEEZ I WISH THE WII U WAS ACTUALLY A PLAYSTATION BY THE WAY I DONT OWN A WII U NOR WILL I BUT PLAYSTATION RULES" then we'll ban it. There's absolutely no reason to ban people commenting on the hardware power itself and expressing a desire for something greater.

The difference between the two topics should really be very, very obvious.

I agree, it's when people force the argument into untruths and make members explain the same thing over and over and over again that's the problem and I've seen pretty much every Wii U thread derailed by it.

I don't think anyone here wants to childishly sensor what people can and can't discuss about Nintendo, like a Chinese communist party, but it's the 'MOREE PAWORR' whingers (beggers) that derail threads almost daily... DAILY... and what Nible said was just so totally harmless in comparison. Maybe it had a purpose yesteryear, but today it banned a perfectly good law abiding member for no good reason.

As for moving to Gaming, I agree it should happen near launch if it doesn't happen before. It's a major console release so I don't see why Nintendo and Wii U should be made to feel like NeoGAF's ginger step-child.

I think there are people with legitimately different opinions based on their own personal preferences. Within that group are people that are nice, people that are assholes, people that are willing to have their mind changed, people that aren't, people made of optimism and people crushed by disappointment, and so forth.

There are people who agree with you that are in much the same boats.

I think there are a few trolls, who do what they do because Nintendo fans are easy targets (and some of you make it very easy to get riled up) and it's very obvious who those people are. But the onus is on you to ignore them until they do something that is actually bannable. Real life has assholes, too! You will have to work with them, sometimes live with them, and you can't do shit about it. If someone putting their hands in front of your face and saying "I'm not touching you!" really bothers you, then the bubble in Community is probably for the best.

EatChildren

I agree, it's when people force the argument into untruths and make members explain the same thing over and over and over again that's the problem and I've seen pretty much every Wii U thread derailed by it.

I don't think anyone here wants to childishly sensor what people can and can't discuss about Nintendo, like a Chinese communist party, but it's the 'MOREE PAWORR' whingers (beggers) that derail threads almost daily... DAILY... and what Nible said was just so totally harmless in comparison. Maybe it had a purpose yesteryear, but today it banned a perfectly good law abiding member for no good reason.

The threads derail because fools insist on arguing with people they claim are spreading untruths, 'making' them explain the same thing 'over and over'. Some people sadly lack the ability to just ignore problem posters and get on with threads, contributing to the derail themselves by incessantly arguing with the very people trolling.

Both parties ruin threads because both have an insatiable desire to whine and argue over the internet, lacking the rational to let it go and move on. And both parties, when spotted, get banned.

D-e-f-

Banned
Please, come back to the topic with a news..... maybe.....

http://kotaku.com/5936970/it-sounds-like-nintendo-wants-to-make-a-gamers-version-of-facebook

What kind of surprise are hiding for the 13 september? Still waiting.

Finally someone who gets it. It's only been, like, 2 1/2 months since Miiverse was revealed with all the hints already there and finally now someone talks about it! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Totilo doesn't jump on the typical "Wii U? don't care, haha silly Nintendo" bandwagon and explores different approaches to coverage of the platform but it's still really sad that he seems to be the only one who actually picked up on what Miiverse is presumably going to be or trying to be. Everyone else just glossed over that during the E3 madness and didn't bother going back after the fact. And thus we get laughable "we know nothing about Nintendo's online service" comments.

Isn't this news thread worthy or was there already a thread about it?coz it's the first time i'm hearing this after the claims of the wiiu version being the best looking console one.....

this is definitely NOT thread-worthy since it is basically an open invitation for trolling and banning. the news themselves are also completely vague and don't say anything specific at all. the information that comes from that is "they're still working on polishing the Wii U version". you wanna make a thread about that which you know is gonna have dozens of people come in to just say "told you so ..weaker than current gen confirmed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom