• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned

*rolleyes*

Thanks, Sid, for not listening and even throwing a big bucket of oil in the fire with that added sentence (which is a false statement/wild guess presented as fact to top it off).

Really, great work.

So, I haven't seen one of these lately, so I'll start one...

Are you planning on getting a launch WiiU? Black or White?

What games and/or peripherals do you plan on buying with it?

Black system, no additional peripherals, ZombiU and Pikmin ... then I'll probably be broke (or in debt)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Was the Wii and 3DS Event open press or gaming press only?

No idea. I mean, they'll do events for all kinds of media, because Nintendo will be selling this product to everyone. But I don't know the tone of this particular event.

I'm pretty wary of belief Nintendo will reveal anything truly significant prior to launch, full stop. Though I don't find the line-up very appealing, they've got enough software to push them through the launch period. I'd be more inclined to believe bigger announcement would be saved for early next year and E3 2013 when the appeal of launch software has dwindled and the marketing push needs a kick up the pants.

I am expecting launch details then separate hands-on and trailer releases afterward.

I do not expect many huge unannounced game reveals at the September conference.

Meelow

Banned
Sorry, I should have clarified: by open press I mean press from all corners of the media world. If it's a gaming media specific event then there's a better chance of announcements (though most definitely not guaranteed). If news papers, magazines and other media outlets are sent invites then the likelihood of big reveals is low.

Those kinds of events cater towards mass market hype, the aim being to get Wii U hardware and software launch discussion out to everybody.

I'm pretty sure it's that, the Wii one and 3DS one showed a lot.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If it helps, CNet seemingly has a picture of the actual NYC Event Invitation

wiiuevent610x310.jpg

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57497493-1/nintendo-to-hold-wii-u-event-in-nyc-on-september-13/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I am expecting launch details then separate hands-on and trailer releases afterward.

Absolutely. But I do not think this holds true for the Japanese event.

So, I haven't seen one of these lately, so I'll start one...

I'm getting a black launch WiiU. Getting Mario, Pikmin, Batman and ACIII (hopefully that one releases close to launch, sounds like it could be pushed back) for sure. ZombiU, Lego City, P100 and Rayman are on my radar.

D-e-f-

Banned

Same here.

I warn you crazies again, do not expect the new Retro/MonolithSoft game to be shown or announcements of Metroid/F-Zero caliber. I repeat. Do. Not. Expect. Those!

If Nintendo throws is a cool bone like that, we'll be even more surprised and excited. But going into that event thinking "oh that'll happen" will surely end in e-Tears.

edit: woo I got Member'd two posts ago :D
edit2: oh god, I should've maybe phrased that differently ...

PhantomR

Banned
I assume there are several moderate Nintendo fans who are put off by the boundless optimism and sometimes ridiculous hype that is generated in this thread. I know I avoid it for long stretches because A) there is no news B) sometimes the environment IS hostile to people who want to offer critiques or different takes on Nintendo's strategy. It's kind of an echo chamber.

A more public moderate thread could bring in new people and offer a chance to toughen up. The Vita crowd has endured much hazing and yet they still exist in their own place in the gaming side with few problems.

I wish Nintendo fans would take a page out of Nintendo's own strategy and quit trying to get into horsepower firefights. Don't be defensive about subjective assessments!

I'm fine with the way it is. I'm only interested in Nintendo products, so I'm only here on NeoGAF to post with Nintendo fans about Nintendo products. The second I can't do that anymore because we have trolls shitting up the place every other post is the day I just bounce from GAF and go somewhere else. This is nice here...no reason to fix something that isn't broke.

D-e-f-

Banned
Soooo, *when* are you expecting those game reveals?

Hijacking the answer...

February Nintendo Direct to warm up for GDC and kickstart the new year. But not all of them, probably just small teases. Big stuff will still be saved for E3. But they definitely need to put their cards on the table before that to keep the momentum going.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm pretty sure it's that, the Wii one and 3DS one showed a lot.

But did they show anything new? Remember, Nintendo and third parties have the following to heavily market over the Wii U launch period:

- Nintendo Land
- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
- Ninja Gaiden
- Project P-100
- Zombi U
- Scribblenauts Unlimited
- Rayman Legends
- Rabbids Land
- Lego City
- Arkham City
- Mass Effect 3
- Darksiders 2
- Fifa 13
- Colonial Marines
- Black Ops II
- And more.

There's a lot of software in the pipes for Nintendo's 'launch window'. Ports or not, third parties will want their release games marketed. Nintendo will want to push the early software hard, and not overshadow them with announcements of software still far away.

We still have a lot to learn about these games too. We've been seeing the same Pikmin 3, P-100 and NSMBU levels over and over. We don't know the full extent of how they're integrated with the Wii U's social networking features, or what extra gameplay quirks they contain. Nintendo will want to really sell these games as these are the ones first out the gate, so we're going to hear more about these before we hear about new stuff.

Anything is possible, but I do think it's wise to keep expectations in check. We've got a lot more to learn about the Wii U in general, let alone the software we already know about. I'd love to have some surprises thrown our way, but I don't see many happening before launch. And if anything happens I expect it will be some Japanese third party ports.

Kacho

Big stuff will still be saved for E3.

I'm not so sure E3 will be the big reveal place for Nintendo going forward. I'm sure we'll get a few nuggets, but their primary source of game reveals seems to be Nintendo Direct. Should be interesting to see how Nintendo handles their announcements for the next few years.

I'm not sold on a launch window purchase, not by a long shot. But assuming that I do, here's my rundown:

I'd get a Black Wii U.

I would enthusiastically buy Rayman Legends and Zombi U. I'd consider Arkham City a few months later. There's nothing from Nintendo that I'm hard set on, though it is likely that I would eventually pick up NSMBU, just because I like platformers a lot. There are a few others, including but not limited to Pikmin 3, P-100, and A:CM, that I have some minor degree of interest in but could be won over with.

And, you guys know me; I'd do some pretty desperate things for "TimeSplitters 4: It's Time U Split!".

schuelma

I'd love to have some surprises thrown our way, but I don't see many happening before launch. And if anything happens I expect it will be some Japanese third party ports.

We will absolutely see Japanese 3rd party stuff, and I bet there will be some relatively noteworthy stuff. Remember, we've seen virtually nothing from Japan so far.

I am not discontent with the announced software. If I bought one at launch, I would get at least two games.

But I really need to know price and hear the words "account system."

Hakai

I think we should not expect big announcements beyond launch date and price. If we got a sneak peek at the OS, or more details about the games, I think it will be already awesome.

So I'm keeping expectations in check, but very HYPED for this!!

schuelma

I am not discontent with the announced software. If I bought one at launch, I would get at least two games.

I just want to see some evidence of Japanese support and I'll probably be there at launch.

But did they show anything new?

No, they did what you further suggest in the post. Went into detail with launch software and what has already been partially known. Afterwards, journalists got to play the stuff.

I remember how Jonathan Ross (the host for the EU conference) tweeted how fans would be pleased, then everyone assumed Metroid and whatnots coming. And of course, there wasn't a single new game announcement after all.

BlackJace

So some people on GAF are willing to let devs and publishers charge 80-100 dollar games to play on 599+ dollar consoles, all just the price of admission into "true high-fidelity next gen experiences".

I want to know what world they live in.

Hakai

So some people on GAF are willing to let devs and publishers charge 80- games to play on 599+ dollar consoles, all just the price of admission into "true high-fidelity next gen experiences".

I want to know what world they live in.

That's a vast minority, most people would not buy consoles by that prices.

DrLyme

Neo Member

Probably black with no peripherals. I might get a Pro Controller if I need to, but probably not. As for games, definitely NSMBU and Little Inferno (honestly, id I had to get only one game, it would be this one. I loved World of Goo so much). Possibly Arkham City, but only if Rayman Legends isn't at launch (then I'll get that).

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm not so sure E3 will be the big reveal place for Nintendo going forward. I'm sure we'll get a few nuggets, but their primary source of game reveals seems to be Nintendo Direct. Should be interesting to see how Nintendo handles their announcements for the next few years.

Big stuff = new Metroid/Zelda. The stuff that is geared towards the cinematic/action/epic adventure crowd. The stuff we'd refer to as megaton will still be an E3 thing.

The Fire Emblems, handheld Zeldas and Animal Crossings of the world will be come via Nintendo Directs, yes.

So some people on GAF are willing to let devs and publishers charge 80-100 dollar games to play on 599+ dollar consoles, all just the price of admission into "true high-fidelity next gen experiences".

you can't add up optional DLC to the retail price and take the ridiculous PS3 launch price from 6 years ago as an example. that's reaching a bit.

Bumhead

Banned
I was kinda pissed about the Wii U launch lineup (or at least, launch window) during E3, but honestly, there are now more games pencilled in for the launch window than I can realistically afford to play anyway, both in terms of time and money.

Are you planning on getting a launch WiiU?
No. I will eventually get one, but nothing makes me want it right now. Instead, I'll probably put money into my older consoles.

Black or White?
Not entirely sure. Not especially enthused with either color, these days. Might get white just to remain consistent with my Wii, though.

I'd almost certainly get New Super Mario Bros. U out of tradition, and Rayman Legends based on nostalgia for the first two Rayman games (despite them playing nothing like Origins or Legends). Maybe Assassin's Creed III for the novelty of a Revolutionary War setting, maybe Pikmin 3 as an introduction into that series. I want Batman, but can't justify it since I already have the game, and pretty much all DLC for it, on Steam.

jacksrb

I say, we keep it here until the Launch OT.

I agree. I don't really mind either way, but I just think that the thread will be cleaner/more focused here.

There will be a lot of good threads with news coming out of the Sept 13th conference that can be the gaming side representation of what is going on.

Lastly, everything Alberto said.

That's really a lot of how I feel. I'm "good" but not exactly satisfied. A sneak peek at Mario or Zelda or Retros new game would definitely go a longgg way. Even if the game doesn't release until 2014. At the same time, I'm don't feel like the launch lineup is "it" and doom mongering over Wii U's future

Banned
The games I am interested in at launch and launch window are:

NSMBU
Pikmin 3
P-100
ZombieU

I would buy a black console and pro controller. But I'm going back to school and I won't have the money to preorder one anymore :( I might not get a wii u until next year now :(

Edit: I find it odd that most people aren't satisfied with the launch window games when comparing it to past console releases it's really deep and varied. You got a mix of all genres, ports, new IP's, etc. I guess the only thing it's missing is its MEGATON game like Twilight Princess or Smash Bros. Melee or Super Mario 64.

But compared to the PS1, PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 the Wii U is poised to have the best console launch since the Wii itself (or vita if you want to include handhelds)

BlackJace

I don't know where they would take the next 3D Mario. We've been in the castle, on a tropical island, and two excursions in space. I'd be okay with another galaxy venture, though (because, cmon, it'd look spectacular).

Effect

What's with the attack on the Wii U today?, first the Sid thread and than the other thread about "Next gen can be a big leap" and the TC says "guess he's not talking about Wii U"

Did people get so sad about the bad news about Sony yesterday they wanted to attack the Wii U so people will forget about it?.

What Sony bad news?

I don't know where they would take the next 3D Mario. We've been in the castle, on a tropical island, and two excursions in space. I'd be okay with another galaxy venture, though (because, cmon, it'd look spectacular).

Seamlessly interconnected world. Run anywhere (but with tons of shortcuts to get you places quickly and obvious cues where to go for the next zone). Make it like a living, breathing Mushroom Kingdom. (edit: like, you could dash all the way to the mountains with the lava setting and rock boss, then you could grab a hang-glider and soar all the way down to the swamplands with the sinking patches and bog monsters and so forth.)

…with tacked-on drawing minigames. ;)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They'll not show new software at the NoA conf, imho.
Maybe, just maybe, CoD.

This will be some sort of E3 showfloor dedicated to the software we already know about. They'll share price and date details, tough.

I'm way more interest in a possible Jap conf, due to the absolute actual lack of Jap software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom