• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

Seamlessly interconnected world. Run anywhere (but with tons of shortcuts to get you places quickly and obvious cues where to go for the next zone). Make it like a living, breathing Mushroom Kingdom. (edit: like, you could dash all the way to the mountains with the lava setting and rock boss, then you could grab a hang-glider and soar all the way down to the swamplands with the sinking patches and bog monsters and so forth.)

…with tacked-on drawing minigames. ;)

Mmm that sounds nice. Come to think of it, we've only been in the Mushroom Kingdom castle, not actually the kingdom itself in 3D.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There's just enough in the launch line-up to satisfy me.

NSMB U
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Lego City Undercover
P-100
Darksiders II (since I'm waiting on it)
Nintendo Land (what the hell lol)

Plus Trine 2 Everything Edition on the e-shop

Kacho

I hope they don't make another Galaxy. Two in a row is enough. Mushroom Kingdom is where I'd like to see the next game take place.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Anyway, the new issue of ONM arrived today.
It turns out the secret cover game they were hyping last issue was... Zombi U.

Not much new info, apart from a detailed description of what each Gamepad button does in the game.

RAWi

We still have a lot to learn about these games too. We've been seeing the same Pikmin 3, P-100 and NSMBU levels over and over. We don't know the full extent of how they're integrated with the Wii U's social networking features, or what extra gameplay quirks they contain.

This pretty much.

We still know so few things about the games. What are their capabilities, what are all their features, what else can you do with your games outside the game, how they interact with others, how the game interacte with Mii-Verse, why am I not having these games for free, when are they released, is every game having the Off-TV Play feature? And so many questions yet to learn x3.

I hope that we get to have more infor about the games once we reach September 13th, because from there until the release date it will be a long wait.

donny2112

How about starting the next thread in Community, and once the Sept. 13 conference hits, starting a real Pre-launch thread in Gaming, since there'd actually (presumably) be real information to discuss?

bud23

NSMB U
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Lego City Undercover
P-100

I think people is underrating this game, to me looks a solid launch title.

This pretty much.

We still know so few things about the games. What are their capabilities, what are all their features, what else can you do with your games outside the game, how they interact with others, how the game interacte with Mii-Verse, why am I not having these games for free, when are they released, is every game having the Off-TV Play feature? And so many questions yet to learn x3.

I hope that we get to have more infor about the games once we reach September 13th, because from there until the release date it will be a long wait.

Yeah even if there are no new game announcements even just hearing about some of this stuff will be nice. Hopefully some new demos of levels/areas we haven't seen of already announced games will be shown too.

Comandr

If PS3 is harder to deal with than a brand new machine with brand new chips than PS3 must be a real bitch to master!

PS3 is often the lead for reasons like this. Once upon a time, I worked at Sega of America, and it took forever for us to get all of our beta and RC candidates out and ready for PS3. The 360 is much smoother, and from what I understand, the Wii U is more akin to the 360 as far as development ease. So all good news there.

Xbox games may have the easiest time porting over to Wii U, or we may see more Xbox versions of multiplat ports on the system in the future.

I hope I see something I really want at TGS

if I had to be honest Wii U is not showing anything that I really must buy, RPGs which are the games I play most have yet to be announced - DQX U has not been shown yet

Comandr

I'm personally a little curious why DQXU hasn't been shown yet in any form. At least in Famitsu or something. I thought both versions were being developed at the same time, probably to run on the same engine even. Perhaps they're running on different engines. Maybe the Wii version is running on "low settings" and the Wii U version will be running on "high?" Extremely unlikely, but modern PC mmos allow you to do stuff like this, I don't see why two different users on different systems couldn't play the same game but have different graphic settings. Dramatically different even.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
For me, the must have launch games are - in order of preference -

P-100
Little Inferno (Surely I can't be the only one hyped for this?)
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Darksiders II (I've been deliberately delaying playing this on other formats)
Batman (Same here)

P-100
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Batman (Same here)

I keep forgetting about Darksiders II....

Hoodbury

This pretty much.

If they follow a 1 hour presentation by Reggie and then 5 hours of demo's on the floor why would they need to talk about the old games in the presentation? They could just get that from the demo's. The Presentation from Reggie should be about things we haven't heard about yet; Price, Launch date, new game announcements, new functions of the system, etc.

If Reggie spews another hour on the same games we've already seen from like 5 times now, I'll be severely disappointed again.

Comandr

Because they want to give the Wii version a chance to sell for a bit?

Um.. I guess that could be true. But this game is very likely only going to be big in Japan. It may have a decent following in the states but no where near what it will have in its home country.

On top of that, I believe that recent sales numbers have shown that the Japanese are crazy for all things Nintendo. Given that (again this is to my understanding, not to be construed as fact) both versions of the game will be able to play together, I don't see why you wouldn't want to build any kind of hype or excitement for your new HD console in your home country.

The game has been out since August 4th, with its first week selling 384,000 units. The second week, it dropped a dramatic 81 percent to 72,000 units. The rush is over. The people that were "super excited had to buy it" already have. It's still number two in the charts, and will probably make respectable sales still. I don't think companies like Nintendo bank on arguments like "We'll hold back the Wii U version so this one can sell for it a bit." Especially when it has a minimum 3 month lead still, and the numbers are trickling as they are. If the momentum kept up at 300,000+ units a week, yeah, I would totally agree.

I don't see the fault in showing off what's coming in the future for your console launching in 3 months. Nintendo can still say "You want to play DQX? Go ahead. It's available right now and you can play with all of your friends online today. But for those of you who want to wait, this is what we have in store."

D-e-f-

Banned
If they follow a 1 hour presentation by Reggie and then 5 hours of demo's on the floor why would they need to talk about the old games in the presentation? They could just get that from the demo's. The Presentation from Reggie should be about things we haven't heard about yet; Price, Launch date, new game announcements, new functions of the system, etc.

If Reggie spews another hour on the same games we've already seen from like 5 times now, I'll be severely disappointed again.

Expect pretty much known exclusively known games. I'm still excited because I think they'll show more of how Pikmin 3 actually plays in singleplayer (what they've shown at E3 was just the challenge mode), a few more of the NintendoLand games, hopefully something cool and new for NSMB.U and more stuff from P-100. Plus they need a racing game. Something from their trusted collaborators at Monster or Next Level in the Wave Race (please!!) or Excite- series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If they follow a 1 hour presentation by Reggie and then 5 hours of demo's on the floor why would they need to talk about the old games in the presentation?

Because they're not old games. They're new games for a new, unreleased platform that Nintendo is aiming to sell to everybody.

The big launch marketing speel isn't aimed at the gamer who follows everything. It's aimed at everybody, and they want those people to be excited about the launch, not what is coming in ~six months.

chris3116

NSMB U
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Lego City Undercover
P-100

It's pratically the same list as you. I don't think I'll get Zombi U. Maybe I'll try Rayman Legends. And add Little Inferno when it's coming.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think people is underrating this game, to me looks a solid launch title.

Until I see a video of gameplay without the massive screen-tearing and choppy frame rate I'm keeping my hype levels down.

Remedy hyping up the next gen machines. God thos will be glorious when reality hits neogaf!

Gaming isnt about having fun anymore. Its about who can display the most polygons it seems!

Kinda glad Nintendo dosen´t participate in this nonsense. 3x current gen is more than enough.

jmizzal

Remedy hyping up the next gen machines. God thos will be glorious when reality hits neogaf!

Gaming isnt about having fun anymore. Its about who can display the most polygons it seems!

Kinda glad Nintendo dosen´t participate in this nonsense. 3x current gen is more than enough.

Isnt Remedy 1st party Microsoft?

I think Microsoft is gonna end up in last place next Gen, pulling a Sony by going with power and high price. While Nintendo and Sony goes with lower price, less power.

Hoodbury

The big launch marketing speel isn't aimed at the gamer who follows everything. It's aimed at everybody, and they want those people to be excited about the launch, not what is coming in ~six months.

The presentation itself isn't the Marketing spiel. The marketing spiel will be when IGN, GI, and the other publications start writing their articles based on what they see and hear from the event.

The 'everybody' isn't going to tune in and watch an online stream of Reggie talking. They'll read about it if they happen to go to a website that reports on video games or technology.

I wasn't meaning he should spend a lot of time talking about the future of 2013, but I meant the launch window games that we haven't heard about. I want to hear announcements of CoD, NFS, Japanese 3rd party launch games, etc. I wasn't talking so much about 3D mario, Monoloth, Retro, etc.

PhantomR

Banned
Seamlessly interconnected world. Run anywhere (but with tons of shortcuts to get you places quickly and obvious cues where to go for the next zone). Make it like a living, breathing Mushroom Kingdom. (edit: like, you could dash all the way to the mountains with the lava setting and rock boss, then you could grab a hang-glider and soar all the way down to the swamplands with the sinking patches and bog monsters and so forth.)

…with tacked-on drawing minigames. ;)

I'll just have to say, that I respect your opinion. But this isn't the type of Mario game I would want at all.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was so brilliant because of its laser sharp focus on the platforming gameplay and the incredible level design. I don't want an open world Mario game, I want an incredible Mario platforming experience. I think EAD Tokyo between this and SM3DLand have found the perfect formula to work with in Mario games, and I'm hoping that they stay on that path.

Just my opinion.

Sheroking

I'll just have to say, that I respect your opinion. But this isn't the type of Mario game I would want at all.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was so brilliant because of its laser sharp focus on the platforming gameplay and the incredible level design. I don't want an open world Mario game, I want an incredible Mario platforming experience. I think EAD Tokyo between this and SM3DLand have found the perfect formula to work with in Mario games, and I'm hoping that they stay on that path.

Just my opinion.

Well, I think that's where a more dense hub-world with sidequests could be useful. You can keep well designed, fun platforming levels and have a more open world, less linear aspect that makes the game feel more deep than 3D Land does or Galaxy 2 did.

The issue with Sunshine and Galaxy 1's hub worlds was a lack of things to do.

Meelow

Banned
But did they show anything new? Remember, Nintendo and third parties have the following to heavily market over the Wii U launch period:

- Nintendo Land
- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
- Ninja Gaiden
- Project P-100
- Zombi U
- Scribblenauts Unlimited
- Rayman Legends
- Rabbids Land
- Lego City
- Arkham City
- Mass Effect 3
- Darksiders 2
- Fifa 13
- Colonial Marines
- Black Ops II
- And more.

There's a lot of software in the pipes for Nintendo's 'launch window'. Ports or not, third parties will want their release games marketed. Nintendo will want to push the early software hard, and not overshadow them with announcements of software still far away.

We still have a lot to learn about these games too. We've been seeing the same Pikmin 3, P-100 and NSMBU levels over and over. We don't know the full extent of how they're integrated with the Wii U's social networking features, or what extra gameplay quirks they contain. Nintendo will want to really sell these games as these are the ones first out the gate, so we're going to hear more about these before we hear about new stuff.

Anything is possible, but I do think it's wise to keep expectations in check. We've got a lot more to learn about the Wii U in general, let alone the software we already know about. I'd love to have some surprises thrown our way, but I don't see many happening before launch. And if anything happens I expect it will be some Japanese third party ports.

You are very correct but at E3 2006 and 2010 we saw 2007 and 2011-2012 titles, unlike the Wii U.

And he can't be talking about the PS4 since according to what jmizzal said, It's probably a PR statement, I mean people say that when good Wii U news comes out, so I guess it means the same for the Xbox 720.

And of course he would say that if he works for Microsoft it's not like he'll say "The Xbox 720 won't be that much more powerful than the Xbox 360".

Steph_E.

Call of Duty series never focused on the single player. Nobody buys it JUST for the single player, unless they know nothing of the franchise/uber casuals that don't play games online on their consoles. It's a casual brogamer pick up and go multiplayer game that is meant to be played against other people(like popular sports franchises).

BO2 will continue like BO1, with having the campaign, zombie mode, and the usual online multiplayer, which offers hours of entertainment

You don't have to have friends sitting next to you to play CoD either. You can play by yourself online or add some friends from message boards if you want.

I have news for you I have bought 2 CODs - and both were for the single player element. However I won't be buying any more unless the campaign element increases drastically. (It seems to get shorter each year.)

And just for the record I have have played them multiplayer and it was OK for about half an hour, but after that complete boredom set in.

Perhaps it's me...

jacksrb

P-100
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Batman (Same here)

For me (between launch and Christmas):

Definite - NintendoLand
Definite - BLOPS2

Probably - Batman AC:AA (I know - I haven't played it yet)
Probably - Toki Tori 2

Maybe - NSMBU
Maybe - Pikmin 3
Maybe - ZombiU [back and forth on this one]

Project P-100 would be #2 on my list behind NintendoLand, but I doubt it will be there at launch.

As an aside, I am really enjoying Mighty Switch Force on 3DS so if you haven't played it I would consider that too.

Hoodbury

And just for the record I have have played them multiplayer and it was OK for about half an hour, but after that complete boredom set in.

Perhaps it's me...

CoD's multiplayer fun level really rises when you play with friends. I made a group of friends from Gfaqs that are all around my age and we would play almost every night together. When they weren't on at the same time, it wasn't as fun when I tried to play with randoms.

So if you are willing to give it another shot, I'd recommend making some friends from here or another forum and try to play with the same people instead of just going it alone and joining random games solo.

Usually if you just go solo and join a random game you will get paired with a bunch of horrible random players and be up against people like my friends and I who are all chatting on mics and play together a lot. So you'll just be getting wiped over and over.

It's night and day different playing with competent friends who are also fun to chat with. It's not the same as playing Goldeneye on the N64 with your real life friends, but when you're on a team and they're all people you've been playing with a lot, the chatter gets interesting and fun times are had.

axisofweevils

F1 will not see a yearly release on Wii U, according to Codemasters.

Game director Paul Jeal said that due to the system's audience, the publisher would probably release F1 Race Stars first and consider a different strategy rather than a traditional annual release for the core F1 games.

"We have the license for a bit longer now so we can do a bit more forward planning," Jeal told Digital Spy.

"Rod [Cousens] - our CEO who's here [at gamescom] - he's constantly thinking, 'What about this or what about that?', so he needs to put a business case for it.

"I definitely think it would be something a little more suited to Race Stars first. Let them do the hard work of getting it working on the tech first!"

When asked whether that would be due to the audience, Jeal responded: "I think so, yeah.

"I also think it's looking at the Wii SKU that we did. It did really well but there's still questions with sales numbers... whether it is something that annually we could revisit year-on-year [and] would sell the same number of units year on year.

"[For] something like football, you need the newest content and there's lots of changes, but with F1 the changes with the teams and drivers are really quite minimal, so instantly you're quite stretched for new content.

"I think when you bring this over to the Wii where the audience is perhaps a bit more more casual and they're less likely to buy it year-on-year, you have to look at a slightly different strategy."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...yearly-release-on-wii-u-says-codemasters.html

Ah i should have stayed out of that crappy thread.

Now im the delusional one for having the opinion, Nintendo software makes the Wii U the best console no matter what. And i even said ity my opinion,

GAF hate against Nintendo is on an insane level.

I wonder if we will get some leaks from now until Sept. 13th?

CoD's multiplayer fun level really rises when you play with friends. I made a group of friends from Gfaqs that are all around my age and we would play almost every night together. When they weren't on at the same time, it wasn't as fun when I tried to play with randoms.

So if you are willing to give it another shot, I'd recommend making some friends from here or another forum and try to play with the same people instead of just going it alone and joining random games solo.

Usually if you just go solo and join a random game you will get paired with a bunch of horrible random players and be up against people like my friends and I who are all chatting on mics and play together a lot. So you'll just be getting wiped over and over.

It's night and day different playing with competent friends who are also fun to chat with. It's not the same as playing Goldeneye on the N64 with your real life friends, but when you're on a team and they're all people you've been playing with a lot, the chatter gets interesting and fun times are had.

You know, for a moment, the bolded above made me super excited and having me thinking that I didn't notice that a with-friends (as in, "play when you're with your friends") multiplayer mode had been added into the CoD series.

:(

I'm done with fighting with people, so much people are expecting the PS4/720 to be like the powerful thing in the world.

No one really knows. We just have to wait and see. Both will be more powerful than Wii U. Not as bad as this generation, but we'll have to get used to that mentality. It's okay to expect mind-blowing graphics.

Most of these people are just like us. Just on the other side of the fence. But I am also looking forward to seeing the other next generation of consoles. As glorious as the meltdowns would be, I'd like to see how far Microsoft and Sony will push it.

Hoodbury

You know, for a moment, the bolded above made me super excited and having me thinking that I didn't notice that a with-friends (as in, "play when you're with your friends") multiplayer mode had been added into the CoD series.

:(

You mean local multiplayer? I thought the xbox and PS3 version had that? I only played on the Wii and we had online friend lists so you could party up to play together. Guess I'm not following your post...

Meelow

Banned
Who else notices that fanboys of consoles are heading to the extreme?, I feel like a lot of people are worried for Sony so there fanboyisms go up 10x, a lot of people are worried that Microsoft will be the casual one next gen, and a lot of people worry about the Wii U's power where it seems like it's going to be 3x more powerful than this gen, I feel like it will be worse next gen.

Say something good about other console and you will be shunned.

No one really knows. We just have to wait and see. Both will be more powerful than Wii U. Not as bad as this generation, but we'll have to get used to that mentality. It's okay to expect mind-blowing graphics.

Most of these people are just like us. Just on the other side of the fence. But I am also looking forward to seeing the other next generation of consoles. As glorious as the meltdowns would be, I'd like to see how far Microsoft and Sony will push it.

Yeah I feel people will be disappointed next gen when the PS4 and Xbox 720 aren't 10x like they are expecting.

The funny thing is when we where talking about the shutdowns of gaming company's that was Liverpool people where mad because they thought this gen did it. if Sony and Microsoft over power there PS4 and Xbox 720 do they think it won't be worse next gen?, seriously those people can't have both.

It's either.

Super power consoles but developers get lay'd off
or
weaker systems with less devs going out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom